2400 points of nasty stuff for a tourney

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Eglard
Corsair

2400 points of nasty stuff for a tourney

Post by Eglard »

So I am attending a tournament next weekend and though I have many armies to choose from I chose the Druchii. Well mainly because I don't have to carry lots of models with me, and because I just finished my dragon lord conversion. So I want to field the dragon and give him some quick hammer units for support. The plan is to smash all my highly destructive hammers into one enemy unit, destroy it, and move to the next. Here is the list:

Dread lord + heavy armour + seadragon cloak + shield + Crimson death + Pendant of Khaleth + Black Dragon 535p

Master + battle standard + heavy armour + shield + seadragon cloak + lance + ring of hotek + elven steed 156p

Master + chariot + heavy armour + seadragon cloak + shield + lance + black dragon egg 214p

Sorcerss + lvl 2 + staff of sorcery 170p

18 Warriors + shields + command + banner of swiftness 156p
12 Crossbows + musican + standard + shields 147p
12 Crossbows + musican + standard + shields 147p
5 Dark riders + command + crossbows 150p
5 Harpies 55p
20 Black Guard + command + Banner of murder 320p
5 Cold one knights + command 175p
1 War Hydra 175p

That is exactly 2400p. So I have some very fast and deadly units, 3 of them has a breath weapon, some distraction (warriors, dark riders and harpies), moderate shooting power, and the black guard who can grind down units who refuse to flee. The reason why I have so many standards is that there are two scenarios in which you will need standards. So what do you think? Any comments? Should I drop the BG in exchange of exequtioners of something else?
The avenger
Beastmaster

Post by The avenger »

As I've mentioned in another topic, I think it's quite risky to include big models as dragons in a tournamentarmy, but I understand why you want to use it when you've just finished it 8)

I don't think you need champions in any of your units, when they don't have anything extra stash. So for those pts you can get a few more spearmen, and flaming attacks on the knights. Their job should be to take down hellpits, other hydras etcetc.

And as I'm a huge beleiver in bringing a scroll to tournaments, I think you should give that to your sorc instead of staff.

Otherwise, it's quite interesting that you don't have a CoB in the list. Good luck without :D :P

So it'd be interesting to hear from you how it goes :) I wish you luck :D
Eglard
Corsair

Post by Eglard »

Thanks for the fast reply. I am tempted to take a dispel scroll over the staff, but I'm not sure if the 1+ to dispel is better than an auto dispel. On the other hand most people will throw enough dice to cause irresistable force on the on big spell I would want to use the scroll on..

Good point about the champions. I think that the cold one champion at least will be droped in favour of flaming attacks. For the points that are left over I can take potion of foolhardiness on one of my heroes, so I don't even loose the attack the champion would have brought.

I would take more spearmen, but since I lack the models I have to survive with 18 of them. They are not even enough to take steadfast from the enemy, so their role is just to protect the crossbows and act as a decoy.
Eglard
Corsair

Post by Eglard »

So I ended up being 3 of 30 players. That is at least for me quite a good result. I won 3 games with a big margin, had one draw against deamons and lost the final game in table 1 against other dark elves by one tournament point. The other armies I faced were O&G, Lizardmen and dark elves.

Most of my units worked really well. The dragon and the chariot were amazing. Nobody suspected anything from the chariot, and when it threw impact hits, breath attack and normal attacks there were usually no survivors. Cold one knights were good, but the bsb master failed me in most games. The ring is no longer as good as it used to be, and with my one sorceress I could dispel most of the magic that came my way (all the armies I faced had atleast thrice more magic levles than I had). Staff of sorcery is very good. Black Guard were also golden as always.

What didn't work was my core units. Two units of crossbows is not enough to scare anyone, or to cause any real damage. The warriors were just a joke, but I had to admit I had terrible luck with them. The dark riders were a waste of points in all of the games except the last, were they reared my opponents unkillable lord, giving 3+ cr to me, finally breaking it. Harpies would had been good, but in 3 scenarios they were totally useless.

I think most of my opponents were really suprised about me fielding a dragon. Actually I was the only player with a big flying monster. The dragon and the chariot master are something to consider in future games. Rampagers standard or the fire banner would be quite good on the cold one knights. They just failed too many charges. Oh and crimson death will stay in the closet the next time the dragon lord flies out. Apparently if the rider kills an enemy in a challange the dragon can not attack. Soul render is a much better choice for him, or just a plain great weapon.