The challenge: 2500p vs 4000p

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Auere
Noble

The challenge: 2500p vs 4000p

Post by Auere »

Yeah, you read it! My two buddies talked me into going up against them with 2500 points - them each bringing 2000 points to the table!!!

The thing is, we want to test just excactly how nasty dark elves can be if you go all out "broken"! So I am to put on the table the worst army configuration I can possibly come up with at 2500p, and they will instead have 1500 points more than me from the start.

My two opponents are wood elves and dwarves. Below is an overview of what I THINK they are going to bring:

Dwarves
Anvil with many runes of spellbreaking
BSB with 1+ reroll and imm to kb (with gw warriors)
35 GW warriors in horde formation
30ish Ironbreakers or hammerers
2 grudge throwers (+1S, fire and other stuff) one of them could be a cannon instead
Organ Gun
A unit of miners or rangers

Wood Elves
Lifeweaver with rhymers harp and dispel scroll (with glade guard)
BSB with HoDA
30ish glade guard with fire banner
3 units of 12 dryads
6 treekin
1 treeman
a unit of waywatchers

Here is what I have been thinking:

Magic is going to be a no go (+3 DD, 3 dispel scrolls), and shooting isnt going to do much to these types of opponents. It all comes down to close combat!

Here is my "so far" list:

Sorceress (Level 1: Lore of Metal) 125
Dispel Scroll

Chuck Norris (BSB) 217
Great weapon, heavy armour, sea dragon cloak, dark pegasus
Dragonhelm, Pendant of Khaeleth, Potion of Foolhardiness

Death Hag (general) 200
Cauldron of Blood

30 Warriors 244
Shields, standard, musician
Warbanner

35 Corsairs 390
Standard, musician
Sea serpent Standard

5 Harpies 55

5 Harpies 55

5 Harpies 55

34 Witch Elves 380
Standard, musician
Banner of Murder

33 Executioners 429
Standard, musician
Banner of Swiftness

War Hydra 175

War Hydra 175

No lord choices! :-)

This is the meanest close combat configuration I could think off. I will use Chuck Norris or hydras to take out his lifeweaver as soon as possible. Hopefully the dispel scroll will take care of the first dwellers below.

I am thinking - I got three hordes here: Witches and Executioners will wipe the floor clean if they reach combat unscatched, and horde corsairs are also pretty nasty. Spearmen with War Hydras will be a nasty support and I hope that they will attract some attention. The cauldron will keep the witches and executioners stubborn 9, to make sure that even if things go wrong, I am not giving away easy points.

Meanwhile I will assign chuck norris and harpies to try to reduce ranged damage by screening and taking out the lifeweaver and warmachines.

Any ideas or comments?
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Great idea !!

Remove your sorceress, it won't help you much against the wood elf caster. After all they are not that strong....

Go for 2 cauldron. 1 BSB, 1 General (or let Chuck keep the BSB if you want.

with 2 cauldron, both your unit wil have ward at the beginning and +1 attack when in close!! I think you should go more with your close combat unit. Keep them strong, more than 30. Like 40-50 each. 2 hordes units 50 strong that benefit from the cauldron can destroy so many things in 1 turn!! Keep them side by side, hydra on each flank to deny flank charge. But I'm not sure about the hydra, dwarf can be very nasty for them, but he seem to be low on warmachines.

I think that corsair and witches could do the trick... Boost both of them to 50 strong, remove warrior to get more corsair. You can still get 50 corsair, 30-40 witches and 30 executionner too if you want.

Don't sure if your harpies will be that usefull... And give the flaming banner to the executionner. With treekin out there, you will like it!

Good luck!
Last edited by A18no on Fri Dec 10, 2010 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guinea pig hydra
Executioner

Post by Guinea pig hydra »

I personally would split the WE into two groups of 17. Troops with more than one attack don't really benefit from being deployed in big groups (they will only be able to support with one of their attacks so many will go to waste). Plus you said yourself magic is no go, so go with a Dreadlord rather than the level 1 Sass who will be pretty anonymous. Just go with a cheap DL, maybe take out a few Harpies or put the WE down to two units of 15.
Druchii - For the joy of stabbing a High Elf in the face.
A18no
Cold One Knight

Post by A18no »

Guinea Pig Hydra wrote:I personally would split the WE into two groups of 17. Troops with more than one attack don't really benefit from being deployed in big groups (they will only be able to support with one of their attacks so many will go to waste). Plus you said yourself magic is no go, so go with a Dreadlord rather than the level 1 Sass who will be pretty anonymous. Just go with a cheap DL, maybe take out a few Harpies or put the WE down to two units of 15.

Never do that. How will you form your 15 strong troop?? 5*3? 7*2?

in 7*2, you get 28 attacks, and you loose 3 attacks after the 8th dead. When you get 30 or more strong, you start loosing 3 attacks (the front rank) after 20 wounds. You want to keep the front rank as long as possible. And with a horde against 5 wide, you get 35attacks, it's still 25% more than normal formation.

And with 2 blocs of 15, they will be useless after 9 dead each... not that hard with 2 grudge thrower at Str 4.... and treekin that will stomp you to death. The hordes can receive 18 wounds and still be very strong.

And don't forget one thing, he is low in number, so playing many small unit will only give more target to your opponent. With less bigger troop, your opponent will have many useless unit (after all, he can't charge 3 big unit with everything he have), and since you can break almost anything in one turn, he won't be able to move around you to get flank or rear charge!
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

I think that the level 1 sorceress will be worth it!
First of all, I know that he is going to have dwellers below, and I also know that he will be going for it every turn. With units size 30+ that spell is far more lethal to me than any shooting. I will be happy if the only thing my sorceress accomplishes is scroll a single dwellers below - after all one dwellers below usually kills more than 125 points of troops...
Second, I can go for irresistable searing doom on his treeman. You get an average of 7 dice which means that I have a 33% chance of getting it off irrisistable. That is fine by me - I am going to get it eventually, and taking down the treeman would earn double her points back, and save me a load of trouble!

I think that the witches and corsairs will do great in hordes. The witches get a possible 50 attacks (60 w cauldron) compared to 28 in normal ranks of 7. This enables them to go up against my two worth close combat opponents: The treekin and GW dwarves. Poison combined with rerolls and BoM really hurt anyone. Corsairs in horde are slightly less effective, but with the amount of juicy targets around for shooting, I pretty much count on them reaching my opponent unscatched, and well - they still have 50 attacks per round!

The harpies are also great. If I just added more models to my units, dwellers and warmachines would just kill more every time they went off. On the other half, my opponent has to take out my harpies when I move them forward the first turn, unless they want to lose their warmachines. This may take some pressure of my big units.