2500 points Hardcore

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Malmorte
Shade

2500 points Hardcore

Post by Malmorte »

Well, an escalation of my 2000p list, including also a Lv.4 and 2nd hydra...going for cheese now slightly

Dreadlord w/ cold one, shield, hvy, sdc, Amour of eternal servitude, pendant of khaeleth, soulrender-270p

Supreme Sorceress-,Lv.4, sac dagger, lifetaker-315p
Sorceress-Lv.2, dispel scroll, dark magic-160p
Death Hag BSB w/ cauldron of Blood-225p

Core
30 dark elf spearmen, shields, FC-225p
12 dark elf crossbowmen-shields-muso-137p
12 dark elf crossbowmen-shields-guardmaster-142p
11 dark elf crossbowmen-shields, muso-126p

Special
14 Witch-elves-140p
14 witch elves-140
8 Cold One Knights-FC w/ banner of eternal flame-266p

Rare
War Hydra-175p
War Hydra-175p

How does it look?
The lord has regen to also protect form magical attacks like lore of death spells. Or, I thought of dropping the supporting caster and make the two WE units 20 strong each, and maybe buy more COK, as I feel the second sorceress is unneccesary....Ideas?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

So who is the lvl 4 knifing? and what lore is she using.

The second caster I more or less agree is unnecessary, but I will usually run at least a lvl 1 with ruby ring of ruin and metal lore to snipe those stupidly hard units we have trouble with.

I would go with the whip of agony over soulrender.

Other than that it looks pretty reasonable, though I agree with more witches if you can find the points.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Malmorte
Shade

Post by Malmorte »

the lv 4 is our usual shadow, and knifing the 30 man spears unit, and yeah I'll drop the lv.2 and buy 5 harpies, and 10 extra witch elves, 5 for each unit
Ben a
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ben a »

If you are going to run WE, I would suggest 1 unit of 20+. More then one and you wont be able to keep them both alive with the cauldrons blessing. I would drop one unit of WE, increase the size of the other, and make the CoK unit 10 strong with either ASF banner or +1 movement banner. I would also suggest giving the WE banner of murder. I think the biggest problem you have with this list is that you will find it hard to keep your enemy from being steadfast. You only have 1 CC unit that can negate steadfast in the warriors with the list as is, and one round of shooting or magic will cut them down to a much smaller size. I generally run a unit of 20 RxB with muso that can reform into 4x5 and fight. They will have a better save then your warriors due to hand weapon and shield ward save, plus if you give them the ward save from the cauldron, they will have a 4+ ward save in CC. About the second sorceress, she is not necessary but I like to run a lv.1 with a dispel scroll and take lore of fire. No point in giving you DL armor of eternal servitude since you cant use regen and a ward save, only one or the other. You already have PoK and all mundane armor on him so drop the armor of servitude down to armor of darkness and drop the mundane armor, or just give him all mundane armor. Since he is on a Cold One, with mundane armor he will have a 2+ AS plus the ward save from the PoK. Finally, I suggest dropping lifetaker from the Supreme and adding either shades or Harpies to your list. I like to run 2 units of 5 harpies personally.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

You can't stack wards.

The OP's reasoning for the armour of eternal servitude is good.
Ben a
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ben a »

I guess then i am learning something new myself, why is giving the DL regen worth it when it has a ward save? It is my understand that you cant use both only 1 at a time, unless you have it there for those low strength wounds in which I can understand that. It just seems off to me since the DL already has Heavy Armor.

And yes you are correct about the wards my mistake, so in close CC RxB still have a 6+ ward unless given a 5+ by the cauldron. They are still more durable in CC then spears or corsairs and they have the ability to shoot at long range.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Ben A wrote:I guess then i am learning something new myself, why is giving the DL regen worth it when it has a ward save? It is my understand that you cant use both only 1 at a time, unless you have it there for those low strength wounds in which I can understand that. It just seems off to me since the DL already has Heavy Armor.

And yes you are correct about the wards my mistake, so in close CC RxB still have a 6+ ward unless given a 5+ by the cauldron. They are still more durable in CC then spears or corsairs and they have the ability to shoot at long range.

PoK is a great save, but it doesn't work on death or metal magic spells, as the OP noted, while regen does versus death. He is still open to metal spells because neither will work against those. An alternative is armour of fortune for the same price which would give him a 5+ ward against everything and PoK for the heavier hits.

And yes shielded RXB are awesome, i have about 50.
Last edited by Rabidnid on Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tmarichards
Noble

Post by Tmarichards »

Giving the DL regen when he already has a war save isn't a good idea, it's just a waste apart from those times when he gets hit by low strength things that ignore armour saves (very infrequently), which more often than not are Killing Blow- which ignores the regen anyway. Death magic is so rare in competitive lists that your best bet is to just get him into combat early on. Paying 45pts for something that fills his magical armour slot for just that one purpose (in the last 6 months and 10+ tournaments I've played in, I've not run into Death magic once) is a bit of a waste.

If you really are worried about Death magic, stick the 5+ ward on him. It's free, and has almost the same effect.
"he's got quite an arrogant british air about him that i used to think was really annoying but now it cracks me up.

"Tut, tut old lad! that's not how you play 'the Queen's' Warhammer!"
*takes sip of tea*"

Check out my Youtube bettle reports http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=68253
Kaleth stinson
Black Guard

Post by Kaleth stinson »

Just get the Draginhelm/gem on the Dreadlord and forget the regen. Since he has high lds, there are only two spells that are scary from Death.

Other than that I would be cautious about having flaming in an impoortant unit. It takes just one lord/hero with ward against flaming or Dragon princes and you are stuck. Banner of Hag Graef is much better on CoK, and give one of the witches flaming.
Jaith wrote:
"Why 10% more expensive?"

Mighty Beardtrix wrote:
"Because GW once said:"

"All your cash are belongs to us!"
Malmorte
Shade

Post by Malmorte »

I think you have a point, even with regen a low str killing blow or metal spells will still sneak through, so armour of fortune it is
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

If you swap the we with BG and the COK unit with another warrior block + 2x5 harpies you will get the standard DE cheese that people hate.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Trim your RXBmen's points. If they are going in 10's drop the shields and banners and the champs. If you are going for a regen lord get Dragonhelm. Switch the banners. Flame goes to the WE then SoHg on the COK.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies