2500pnt vs Orcs&Goblins

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cold73
Highborn

2500pnt vs Orcs&Goblins

Post by Cold73 »

Still reeling from my victory against empire just a few days ago i got challanged by another friend of mine...
Next Week...
My opponent might not be well versed in orcs&goblins, but he has been playing for years with HE; Demons; 40k

It is ofcourse up to me to teach this greenskin to fear the power of the Dark Elves.
But i'm afraid i will need some help in getting a good list, since i;m not that familiar with those greenskins.

I was thinking of the following list
    Lords
    Dread Lord Crimson Death ; Armour of Darkness; Pendant of Khaeleth 205
    Supreme Sorceress Sacrifical Dagger 285

Heroes
    Death Hag – Cauldron of Blood & BSB 225

Core
    24 Dark Elf Warriors 183
    20 Dark Elf Repeater Crossbowmen 220
    20 Black Ark Corsairs Sea Serpent Banner 250

Special
    5 Cold One Knights Standard of Discipline 190
    20 Black Guard Banner of Murder 320
    20 Witch Elves Witch Brew 250
    5 Shades 90
    5 Shades 90

Rare
    War Hydra 175

Total 2483

Any advice on this would be highly appreciated.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

looks reasonable. i would try for some harpies if you have the models, but what you have will certainly work.

What lore?
"Luck is the residue of design"
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

You definitely need harpies - fanatics can be a pain in the backside otherwise.

Drop the shades - His units will be mostly T4 and/or super duper cheap per model and your crossbow bolts will either just ping off or do so little points worth of damage that they don't add much.

I'd go for more combat punch - make at least one of your fighting units into a horde. Witch elves are very nice versus O&G because they strike first, get a huge number of attacks and have poison, which is very handy indeed for getting through that high toughness.

Similarly, I'd go for less shooting. Your crossbowmen will struggle to make much of an impact, for the same reason as the shades.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Monstrum
Trainee Warrior

Post by Monstrum »

90% of ong lists will have big units of black orcs and savage orc big uns, so you will have expensive units to shoot at. usually trolls too so i'd bring a flaming banner on the witches.

i'm not sure what the point of the knights is, i'd drop them to for 2 units of harpies for redirecting the massive units hes gonna have and to draw out fanatics, and to add a few models to the corsairs/witches.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

thanks for the advice.... I will see about getting some Harpies this weekend.
Your advice on the shades is well taken...they are a lot more expensive then harpies.

Flaming Banner for the Witch elves is a good choice as well..not sure if i will encounter trolls but if i do i at least have a unit to deal with them.

@Rabidnid.
I was still thinking about that myself..... Part of me wants to use Dark Magic, because some of the spells are very usefull...then again Shadow has some powerfull spells as well...

Would it be wise to drop my Dread Lord and take an extra lvl 2 mage?
I'm not sure myself.... What is more usefull against orcs melee...or spells?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

I really like dark. It has no bad spells and its unique spells like bladewind and word of pain can be game winners.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

and don't forget spells like SoulStealer....
you just need to roll a six to wound...but if you can roll between 20 and 40 dies...there a bound to be some sixes in there.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Cold73 wrote:and don't forget spells like SoulStealer....
you just need to roll a six to wound...but if you can roll between 20 and 40 dies...there a bound to be some sixes in there.

Yep, and versus goblins its better than that. Black horror is the spell you want though as the Orks are rarely better than strength 3.

A lvl 4 with dark and a lvl 2 with ToF and shadow could be funny as well, but I save the points and just get a lvl 1 with LT and metal. The only things that worry have lots of armour and are more than S4, so metal is the obvious counter.
Jbtheslipperking
Executioner

Post by Jbtheslipperking »

20 We with witchbrew not so good annymore. Take maby 14, 7 wide no command ( or maby flaming banner for hunting regen things like trolls )

light on warrriors, 24 is not enough

SS with no ward save ? Risky, but good luck

Otherwise pretty standard list and should be ok.
Wtf, dragon`s breath is not flamable ?
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

A lvl 4 with dark and a lvl 2 with ToF and shadow could be funny as well, but I save the points and just get a lvl 1 with LT and metal. The only things that worry have lots of armour and are more than S4, so metal is the obvious counter.

Metal against Orcs....i must admit i;m not that famiar with their army list, but i thought that Orcs didnt really have any units with a low armour save?
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Cold73 wrote:

Metal against Orcs....i must admit i;m not that famiar with their army list, but i thought that Orcs didnt really have any units with a low armour save?

As a general thing rather than Orks specifically. I had a major failure with metal yesterday so I will be using dark or maybe shadow on the lvl 1/2 from now on.
Cold73
Highborn

Post by Cold73 »

Ah....ok must have misunderstood that then ;-)

I usually see metal used against empire or bretogna.... especially against the knights.