Druchii Army list: Is this list too fragile?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Red october
Slave (off the Altar)

Druchii Army list: Is this list too fragile?

Post by Red october »

Hey everyone.
I have a rather specific problem.I'm just getting into DE, and a friend (who plays HE) suggested thefollowing +- 2400 list: (With available points for items)
Level 4 Shadow Sorceress
Master BSB on Cold One
Level 1 Fire Sorceress
20 Corsairs FC
10 Corsairs
30 RXB's FC
2x units of 5 Harpies
9 Cold One Knights FC
2x units 12 Witch Elves
40 Executioners FC
2 Hydras
My first thought was that it looked rather fragile, purely based on the lackof Black Guard and spearmen (and a sneaking suspicion that he's tryingto pull a fast one on me). :? Can you help me?
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Well, the shadow mage is almost a must have.
l2 fire is also extremity good.

Master bsb on Cold one, well there are better options like Couldron of blood. Or a Pegasus ridden BSB.

For corsairs a unit of 30 is extremely good with sea serpent standard.

2x20 RXB with full command is popular choice.

2x5 harpies is a solid choice.

9 CoK is ok, I'd go more knight's with Dreadlord's for Bus unit, or 10 with ASF, or 5 with music.

2x12 WE, WE are good, but need CoB to be effective, but it's better to take BG.

40 exes, can be played, but we have better thing's to spend point's on.

2 hydras is a solid choice.

some shades would be nice ;)

BG are not a must have, but they are an excellent choice.
Spear's are a good mage bunker.
Also known as Kanadian
Ace073
Corsair

Post by Ace073 »

Depends. Will you be using it to vs him, or everyone else?

Against HE, its BG BG BG, And some witches. Executioners will get mauled. They will dish the hurt back, but if they face some MSU swordmasters kind of thing they can expect to lose most of the unit to kill a vastly inferior number of SMs.

Shadow is good for shooting and mass low strength attacks, making it effective with anything DE has except executioners. Defensively you can reduce the hurt they will take back with enfeebling and miasma, but not as effectively as you will hope, a lot of the time.

Usually, I'd choose between Exes and Shadow. As the main combat block in your army, exes should be getting the magic support usually. If running shadow, I would switch your two units of corsairs for one bigger unit to maximise effectiveness of the useful banner of frenzied usefulness. Would also switch out Exes for WE or BG, both throw out lots of attacks so benefit from shadow support, but if you're using your magic phase to help out one or the other or even corsairs, they will still pull their own weight with poison or S4, warrior elite.

Your bsb in a combat army will be a COB, unless dedicating to a knight bus with hydra banner. I prefer Cauldron because you can still be effective without the charge, and you can always choose where you need a buff in your lines. Its also stupid hard to kill, preserving those VPs.
If all else fails, throw Hydras at it. When the dust clears, they'l be curled up snoozing peacefully on a mountain of corpses.
Red october
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Red october »

Sorry, I should have specified who I'll be using it against.

Most of the time, it'll be myself against his HE force.Unfortunately I don't have a list of what he'll use, but I do know that he only has two Island of Blood kits, so his models will be out of those (griffons :shock: )

Other than HE, I have a friend who plays skaven (also IoB units, thanksto terrible availability here in South Africa)
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Re: Druchii Army list: Is this list too fragile?

Post by Thanee »

Red October wrote:(and a sneaking suspicion that he's tryingto pull a fast one on me).

There are a lot of powerful choices in that list (like the Level 4 Shadow, or the Dual Hydra, or the Executioner Horde, or multiple units of Harpies), so based on that I think he is offering you genuine advice. :)

Everyone has slightly differing opinions on what is best, of course. But the above army is definitely not something that HE will easily wipe the floor with.

Against HE in general, your best choices are Cold One Chariots, shooting and magic (because those circumvent his biggest advantage, the First Strike that all of his units have). From those only the COC are missing in the above list.

The one thing I would definitely change is the BSB (Death Hag BSB with Cauldron of Blood is just too good).

And it is a good idea to give your Level 4 the Sacrificial Dagger (best arcane item) and a unit of walking sacrifices (i.e. Warriors with Standard of Discipline, because those are cheap and the standard boosts your General's Ld to 10). The Lilfetaker is also a good choice in addition, and some Ward save (i.e. Pendant of Khaeleth, unless you need it for another character).

Playing only two characters (Level 4 general and Cauldron of Blood BSB) is a good way to build a DE army, leaving lots of points for potent units.

Bye
Thanee
Red october
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Red october »

Thanks for all the great advice.

I'm probably going to use this list (or one very similar
to it) against him soon.

Can you spot anything in there which is not suitable
for facing off against HE, or units missing which are a must have versus them? I've never played against HE
using DE, so my own experience is rather limited.
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

You can be assured he isn't trying to stick you up with a dodgy list.

He basically has picked bits and pieces of what makes DE powerful, and put it together into one list. Which is pretty nice of him/her, especially of they aren't an actual DE player themselves.

I think it'll be polite to use what he built for You, against him. It's all quite solid vs HE anyway.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued
Red october
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Red october »

Thanks for all the posts everyone, really helpful.

Does the same apply to using this list against skaven, or
should I edit it somehow for them?

Same as with the HE, my skaven opponent only has models
from the IoB kit.
"A fair fight? Who needs that when you have RXB's?"
Meteor
Executioner

Post by Meteor »

It's a fairly balanced list, it'll be able to deal with most armies and races. Like any other list we give you or you make up yourself, you must play enough games with the same list to become good with it. Some will take less time to learn, double hydras, CoK Hydra Banner ASF bus are some those.

Don't think about winning as your primary objective, learn the DE rules, learn what mistakes not to make with your units next time, then winning against anything will come naturally. That way, you don't need to tailor your list just to beat a particular opponent/list/race.
What's mine is mine, What's yours is mine.
Now that we understand each other, lets get down to business.

Jacks -Shade
- WS 5 - - S 3 - - T 2 - - D 6 - - I 5 -

Equipment
Short Sword, MC Long Sword*, Dagger, RxB & RHB [20/10] MC Shade Cloak, 4 Throwing Daggers, 3x Healing Vials, 451C, [3]Dark Venom, [4]Unseen Chains, Food, Dark Steed- Spike

Skills
Basic Stealth, Awareness, TWF, Suithenlu Khythan, Ride

Magic Item
Eye of the Jabberwock

*Magical properties possibly imbued