2400 points - No Comp, heavy combat

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

2400 points - No Comp, heavy combat

Post by Daeron »

I'm trying to get a bit of an idea where I'm going with my army, so I thought I'd try a 2400 point list. I'd like to include three combat units, but I'm a bit unsure about the chosen setup.

Lords
- Dreadlord, Cold one, Heavy armor, shield, SDC, whip of agony
- Supreme sorceress, level 4, Shadow, Pegasus, Black Dragon Egg, Pendant of Kaeleth

Heroes
- Hag, BSB, CoB
- Sorceress, level 2, Metal, ToF, Dispel Scroll

Core
- 30 Corsairs, FC, SSS
- 5 DRs, Mus, RxB
- 16 RxBs, Mus
- 5 Harpies

Special
- 20 BGs, Mus
- 9 COKs, FC, Banner of Murder
- 9 Shades, AHW

Perhaps I could drop the RxBs unit for another DR unit and bump both DR units to 6?

Anyhow.. Unsure. I may have over invested in magic. I could tone down the metal lady by 40 points as well.. maybe save a point here and there to get another Harpy unit.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Miasma
Warrior

Post by Miasma »

What are you typically up against week to week? For me the list lacks fire and imo you have gone to heavy into the LoM, I'd rather have 4 Shadow, 2 metal and a back up fire ball.

Two DRs sounds good, you had anyluck running them without rbx? I prefer mine with just spears.

I'd also get a another Banner in the list, but I prefer MSU/Jybrid myself
2013 Tournament Results

W-L-D
2-1-1
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

It should be a bit of an all comers list.

I'm a bit up in my arms about the details. I could tone down the metal, but it's actually to have a more widespread choice of buffs.... aside from searing doom. Alternatively, I could stick with a level 1 Metal and a ruby ring of ruin. But I'm not sure just the ring will do the trick. I could go for a level 1 fire mage with the ring, but then I introduce a weakness against armor.

I'd like to see 3 combat units, but I need either DRs or RxBs to get my core points. Alternatively, I can go for a spear bunker, but then I'm at 4 units with little support... Unless I drop either the BG or CoKs. But that hampers my combat abilities, I fear.

Right now, the list becomes:

Lords
- Dreadlord, Cold one, Heavy armor, shield, SDC, whip of agony
- Supreme sorceress, level 4, Shadow, Pegasus, Black Dragon Egg, Pendant of Kaeleth

Heroes
- Hag, BSB, CoB
- Sorceress, level 1, Ruby Ring of ruin, Dispel Scroll

Core
- 30 Corsairs, FC, SSS
- 5 DRs, Mus, RxB
- 6 DRs, Mus, RxB
- 5 Harpies
- 5 Harpies

Special
- 20 BGs, Mus
- 9 COKs, FC, Banner of Murder
- 9 Shades, AHW

But I need to double check the point cost. I may have overshot it by a few points.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

well that looks actuly nice.. but I'm sceptical of the 9(10) cok... i know they are tough.. but when they go down.. that could turn out verry bad
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Yeah... I'm a bit in doubt about it. I could reduce the number to a support unit, but then I'd need another combat block.

Here's a third idea:

- Hag, BSB, CoB
- Sorceress, level 1, Dispel Scroll, Metal

- 30 Corsairs, FC, SSS
- 40 Spearmen, FC, Banner of Discipline, Horde formation for 40 stabby attacks (not sure I need this banner though)
- 6 Harpies
- 6 Harpies

- 20 BGs, Musician
- 9 Shades
- 6 Cold one knights, Musician

- Hydra

I even have points left, free to use them to beef up some units. I could also go for a second Shade unit, because right now I don't have too much fire support.

- The stiff breeze
Kargan daemonclaw
Highborn

Post by Kargan daemonclaw »

I think it's well worth considering getting the bannder of muder onto the blackguard, really improves their effectiveness.

I don't like metal on the low level sorceress, the basic spell has a high cost value so requires a lot of dice (4 to have a reasonable chance of it going off)
why are you bothering with the pegasus on the shadowmage? that set up is normally used on a death mage with short range spells. putting the mage on the pegaus also means that you can't take advantage of the shadow lore attibute.

Dark magic and Shadow magic have a lot of synergy, a level 2 on dark could be very useful. black horrorr is great against armoured knights, especially if set up with enfebling foe.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The reason I placed the supreme Sorc on a peggy is mostly to keep her as a mixed unit. The extra toughness, the fly move that doesn't rely on magic and maybe the odd chance of bringing in a well placed breath attack can really help out. It's something to try out.

I will consider banner of murder on the BGs.. Definitely was on my radar.

I would love to get more from that metal mage but.. it's really meant as a safety net against an all out on armor army. I don't think Black Horror on a level 2 is easier than Seaering Doom on a level 1. If the need calls for it, you can throw all your dice at Searing Doom to bring it to 2d6 hits of which I doubt it can be considered less effective than black horror. It's not that black horror is a bad thing but:
- You take the risk of not having the spell
- You increase the risks on the casting value
- It has a more limited range
- You'd probably need to invest more in the mage, make it level 2 or something, preferably with ToF.

It's definitely good, but I think this level 1 will get the job done as well. And a good Shadow mage might already eat up all the dice with good spells :)

- The stiff breeze
Lordfalco
Corsair

Post by Lordfalco »

i would still get right of peggy, use it to buff your metal mage(i would choose metal or death for second mage to) or to get more chaff, hapries, shades etc.

i would not put the spearman in horde, 15 attacks steadfast, bunker is better for your sorc(s)

you got now 4 hammers with spear in horde, but no anvil, this is the main reason to make them steadfast isntead of horde i would say.

i agree with bom on the bg, and sicne you though of it already i say do it. but maybe banner of flame would be better for the low armor regen beasts.
Meneth Blackfire (Warrior) - Group 39
Skills: Riding
Equipment: Leather Armor, Short Sword, Buckler.
Stats: WS3 S4 T5 D4 I2
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well... If I use the warriors for steadfast only, I might take 35 and use the points for the banner of murder. Or banner of eternal flame for that manner, but if I buff the Metal Sorceress then I may have solutions to that already.

I still consider a horde of spears to be an anvil. In attack, they have "only" 30 attacks. It's not shabby.. but nothing impressive. It's in defense they have 40 attacks which, with their elven stats and a Shadow Sorc around, might be enough to make an enemy thing twice before running a suicide unit into it. I have yet to experiment with it... Chances are the strength of this formation depends heavily on the meta and the enemy.

It's all great advice though.. things to keep in mind. I'll give it some thought and see how I can work it out.

- The stiff breeze
Samusin
Executioner
Location: see that shadow behind you?? thats where I'm hidden...

Post by Samusin »

well you from brussles... I'm from Kerkrade (close to the dutch/german border... think we could get to eachother and test it haha
8th edition Dark Elves w/d/l
2/4/3

still getting started, so don't mind that loses, they where sacrificed for the greater good xD