2000pts list for tourney play no comp

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Willzilla
Trainee Warrior

2000pts list for tourney play no comp

Post by Willzilla »

Hi everyone,

I've been thinking about signing up for a local tournament and I want to bring my Druchii since there are no restrictions and I'm sure the lists will be nasty. I was last working on an MSU approach with some success, but I've been away from the game for some time now. I ran into a snag while transporting my full army from a friends house back home and had a serious car accident. I was fine, however, the dark elves were far from okay. Curse our t3. I've finally gotten around to repairing and repainting and was hoping to get some feedback on the list. Thanks in advance.

2000pts
Dreadlord- Crown of command, PoK, dragonhelm, soulrender, heavy armor, sdc, peg
297pts
Cauldron- BSB
225pts
Sorceress- lv2, dragon egg, tome of furion, (shadow or dark lore)
180pts

Warriorsx17- fc
117pts
Warriorsx17- fc
117pts
xbowsx10- music
105pts
xbowsx10- music
105pts
Dark Ridersx5- music, xbows
117pts

Black Guardx14- fc
217pts
Cold One Knightsx5 - flag, music, flaming banner
166pts

Hydra
175pts
Hydra
175pts

Totals up at 1996.
Burizan
Beastmaster

Re: 2000pts list for tourney play no comp

Post by Burizan »

Looks good, you could do quite well with that (I used to run a nearly identical list) :)

I would tighten up the core to as close to 500 pts as you can get. I would do this by combining the spearmen together into one larger unit that can remain stubborn for a bit longer.

Have you seen the new warriors of chaos yet? How would you handle a daemon prince?

I may have missed something, but I can see a single thing in the army that has a good shot at killing him, and that's mindrazor- if of course you roll it. The dreadlord can win if the DP is down by a couple of wounds but I can't see that happening without mistakes on his part. The best tool we have for the job is rendbane assassins, I appreciate that it would be hard to include them without making sacrifices but I don't think you can win the tournament without facing a DP. I think they add to the three pronged (shooty, hitty, MSU) approach I've become familiar with, as there are several viable hiding spots.

Good luck :)
Setomidor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Setomidor »

Glad to hear you are fine through the crash, and welcome back!

In a totally comp free environment I would be tempted to go very magic heavy. Power of Darkness ( :twisted: ) and the Sacrificial Dagger ( :killed: ) is simply an _amazing_ combination, and you will be able to go through 20+ power dice on a decent turn (say you roll 5+5, up to 5 extra dice from dagger, 2D3 + 2 from power of Darkness, and yet another 2-3 from Death Lore attribute). I would bring a Death lvl4 with the dagger and a lvl2 Metal as a sidekick.

If you wanna keep the Dreadlord then get the Crown on him. Pendant + Crown is another sick combination that will make your lord able to not only tank almost anything in the game, but also being stubborn in LD10 while doing so to avoid being overrun by combat resolution.
Tyrannus deathbringer
Noble

Post by Tyrannus deathbringer »

Sorry to hear about your Dark Elves failing their toughness test, happy to hear you are OK :D

I think the list looks good, though Burizan's suggestion of combining the warriors into one block is interesting. Better steadfast denial...but takes away from your MSU approach :?:

Have fun at the tourney, and let us know how you get on with some batreps, please :P
"All who surrender will be enslaved; whoever does not surrender but opposes with struggle and dissension, shall be annihilated."
Willzilla
Trainee Warrior

Post by Willzilla »

I had my first round of the tournament today, a victory over the Ogres in Blood or Glory. He was running a lv.4 death, BSB, and 2 level 1 butchers in an Irongut deathstar unit. The chaff consisted of 2 lone sabretusks, and he also had an ironblaster, a thundertusk, and 3man leadbelcher unit deployed behind soft cover. I was able to out deploy him with my msu approach, and was able to set up both my hydras out of range of the ironblaster, and to the right flank of the ironguts, and pick favorable spots for my small infantry units if I ever had to set up a combi-charge against the giant ogre unit.

He had the first turn and marched forward with pretty much everything. Magic was uneventful with a low winds roll for him, although he did cast soulblight on my hydra that now in charge range of his thundertusk. Shooting saw 3 spearman and a single cold one knight fall to a bouncing cannonball, and 1 crossbowman perished to the leadbelchers.

My first turn was my dreadlord charging the ironguts on the front, and my hydras dual charging the thundertusk. I had planned on using miasma to lower the ws of the ogre unit to insure they hit on 5s, and i wanted to cast withering on the thundertusk to ensure the hydras ripped through and overran into the ironguts for a double combat phase. My first 3 dice thrown come up with 2 sixes and the miasma goes off, but my sorceress decided it was time to give up wizardry and join the witch elf cult, losing both her magic levels. My shooting failed to cause a single wound to either the leadbelchers, or either of the lone sabretusks i was targeting to try and cause some panic. It was looking rough. Then combat happened. Even without the withering, i blew through the thundertusk taking no wounds on either hydra. One was able to overrun into the ogres, but the other one had to reform due to the angle. My dreadlord challenged, and he refused, so i forced the champion to back rank to ensure i could smack the slaughermaster with my great weapon and the BSB with my hydra. I put 3 wounds on the slaughermaster, and killed another ogre in the process with the firebreath, and caused 3 wounds to the BSB. He lost combat but held with the crown of command and bsb reroll.

His turn 2 was uneventful, with the sabretusks moving around my darkriders to try and get at a better angle. Magic got him 9 dice in the powerpool, and one of the low level butchers cast wildform on the ironguts, he tried for fate of bjuna on the dreadlord but i saved my 6 dice just for that spell and made sure it didn't go off. Shooting had the cannon kill another coldone knight, and the leadbelchers fired into them aswell, but the 4+ armor kept the last 3 safe. His combat phase saw the end of the BSB, as was chewed to death by a hydra, and the slaughtermaster took 1 more wound, but passed 2 parry saves with the ironfist, keeping him alive. Dreadlord took a wound from the s7 greatweapons, and the hydra took a wound as well. Combat tied and he won with the musician, but i passed both break tests on ld10.

My turn 2 was the end of the game, the second hydra charged into the ogres, and my blackguard were set up for a flank charge on my next turn if it went that long. My sorceress had an eventful magic phase with no wizard levels, moving on. Shooting again no wounds caused by any of the crossbowman or dark riders, I guess they left the training ammo in their quivers. Combat put the final wound on the slaughermaster at I5 from the hydra handlers, and that put him below his breaking point of 2. We went ahead and called the game.

Overall, well, what can i say? Dreadlord is insane, hydras eat other monsters and love the taste of ogre?? My army did practically nothing while the general took his pet hydras and routed the entire ogre force. Hopefully that was just him showing the rest of the army what they are suppose to do next time, and I wont get a repeat performance from the sorceress and crossbows. Here's to hoping my next game sees some different aspects of my army performing, because I didn't get a real feel for how it is suppose to play.

C&C is always welcome. Ill post back when i play my next game. Glory to the Druchii!