2500 Tourney List - First Try

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Adsvampire
Warrior

Re: 2500 Tourney List - First Try

Post by Adsvampire »

Game #10 - DE VS WoC (rematch)

I played:

Dreadlord (General) - Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Shield, Dawnstone, Cloak of Twilight = 289

Death Hag - BSB, 2 Hand Weapons, Cauldron of Blood = 300

30 Witch Elves - 2 Hand Weapons, Full Command, Razor Standard = 405
5 Dark Riders - Light Armor, Shield, Repeater Crossbow, Dark Steed, Musician = 110
5 Dark Riders - Light Armor, Shield, Repeater Crossbow, Dark Steed, Musician = 110

Reaper Bolt Thrower = 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower = 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower = 70
Reaper Bolt Thrower = 70
War Hydra - Fiery Breathe = 180
Cold One Chariot - Spear, Repeater Crossbow = 115

5 Doomfire Warlocks - Dark Steed = 125
Kharibdyss = 160

Total = 289 + 310 + 625 + 870 + 410 = 2495

vs

Chaos Lord (General) - Mark of Tzeentch, Chaos Armor, Great Weapon, Disc of Tzeentch, Talisman of Preservation, Crown of Command, Scaled Skin = 313

Exalted Heor - BSB, Mark of Tzeeentch, Armor of Destiny, Barded Deamonic Steed, Great Weapon, Third Eye of Tzeentch, Soul Feeder = 274

Chaos Sorcerer - lvl 2 (Lore of Tzeentch), Mark of Tzeentch, Chaos Familiar, Chaos Armor, Barded Deamonic Steed, Charmed Shield, Talisman of Endurance = 270

18 Chaos Warriors - Mark of Nurgle, Chaos Armor, Halberd, FC = 372
Chaos Chariot - Mark of Khorne = 120
Chaos Chariot - Mark of Slaanesh = 115
5 Chaos Warhounds = 30
5 Chaos Warhounds = 30

Chaos Warshrine - Mark of Tzeentch = 135
Chaos Warshrine - Mark of Tzeentch = 135
5 Dragon Ogres - Light Armor, Great Weapon = 340

Chaos Spawn = 50
Chaos Spawn = 50
3 Skullcrushers - Mark of Khorne, Ensorcelled Weapons, FC = 264

We played Blood and Glory. The game was pretty tough with the sorcerer using Infernal Gateway to kill the Kharybdiss on turn one before I could even move. In return my RBTs destroyed all of the hounds before they could prove to be a big nuisance. The Dragon Ogres charged forward and obliged them by charging a unit of Dark Riders, Warlocks, and a hydra into their front. I won combat killing 2 but they were steadfast and held. The slaanesh chariot countered the following turn but still won combat again (getting a AoE Soulblight up the previous turn helped quite a bit). Eventually I lost the Dark Riders but my hydra and warlocks destroyed the Dragon Ogres.

While the above was going on the Chaos Lord planted himself right in front of the WEs. So, left with no choice the WEs charged the lord. My unit champ took the first challenge. The second saw my BSB actually survive only taking a single wound and dealing one in return. My BSB died the next turn with the lord taking no damage. A warshrine did charge in to help but the WEs killed that off before it could strike (RBTS had inflicted 3 wounds prior). Finally, a warshrine turned the chaos lord into a deamon prince. I charged the DL into his rear in hopes of doing the last 2 wounds but failed and died in return. The WEs had their revenge though and dropped the deamon prince the following turn. The WEs also dropped the last warshrine when it came in to assist the deamon prince.

The chaos BSB killed a hydra and then got stuck on my other unit of warlocks. After 3 rounds he finally broke and ran them down. My other chariot charged and held the chaos sorcerer up until the chaos warriors flanked my chariot and finished it off By this point both armies had very little left. When the finaly tally was made the WoC were up by around 20-30 vps but since the DE broke them first the DE earned an extra 500 vps and the victory.

Win for the DE.

The RBTs actually did quite a bit this game. They put 3 wounds on a warshrine, killed 14 chaos warriors, and dropped the last skull crusher to earn the victory. The DL did a bit by killing the Skullcrusher unit champ (and getting out of combat at the same time). The hydras proved to be quite resilient and added a good bit to several combats. The WEs killed everything in their path as usual and the warlocks did their thing.

I haven't tried the shades in place of the RBTs yet but plan to dop so in the next couple of games.
Adsvampire
Warrior

Post by Adsvampire »

Game #11 vs LM

I played:

Dreadlord (General) - Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Shield, Dawnstone, Cloak of Twilight = 289

8 Shades - Repeater Crossbow, Great Weapon
7 Shades - Repeater Crossbow, Great Weapon

Kharibdyss = 160

vs

Old Blood - Cold One, Great Weapon, Talisman of Preservation, Crown of Command, Light Armor

Scar-Veteran - BSB, Cold One, Armor of Destiny, Great Weapon
Tetto'Eko
Skink Priest - lvl 2 (Beasts), Dispel Scroll

46 Skink Cohorts - Javelin, Shield, Poison, Full Command
10 Skink Skirmishers - Javelin, Shield

8 Cold One Riders - Cold One, Shield, Spear, Full Command
8 Kroxigors - Great Weapon

Ancient Stegadon - Giant Blowpipe, Sharpened Horns
Salamander Hunting Pack
Salamander Hunting Pack

As with my previous LM games this one was a slaughter. I rushed their lines from all sides and quickly dealt with the skinks. I even had a unit of warlocks charges and kill the ancient steg. I did lose my DL when he fled from the skink horde and was caught :(. Everything else went to plan though. The WE took a round of flames from the sallies, lost around 12 models and kept on trucking forward to eliminate the saurus cav. The DL and a chariot almost killed the entire unit of kroxigors on the charge (having the cauldron within 6" helped a good deal as well). The skink horde ate bolts all game and lost more than half their number in the first 2 rounds of shooting. And finally, AoE Soulblight did quite a number in supporting everything else.

Resounding win for the DE.

The more I play it the more I like this particular build. I like the mostly MSU approach with no character wizards. I can't say much about the shades other than they really kept the skinks away and peppered them with bolts all game. I'm thinking shades may prove more useful than the 4 RBTs. Next up is a rematch against the empire ... so we will see how the shades fare against all of that 1+ armor save BS.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

We have a near identical list.
Level 4 Shadow, dispel, opal
Deathag Bsb cob wb

30 we
Dark Riders rxb s
Dark Riders rxb s
Dark Riders naked

12 Cok swiftness
21 Execs
4 rbt

2 K beast
Warlocks
Warlocks

I bet the lists play almost the same with the excwptiin that rbts seem ok with me as they deal with chaff easier and the added threat range does change how my opponent reacts with units like terrorgeists. I force urgency making my opponent make mistakes in the movemwnt and deployment phase. I am curios as to whether a list like this can go without a level 4 as we still have warlocks as level 2 wizards for dispell attempts. The list is so heavy on melee power that I doubt I need shadow as much as before. Cok s6, Wicthes for poison, kbeast are s7 and Execs are s6. Rbts are s4 or 6...Did you face a eally magic heavy army where you felt you need the additional +2 to dispel?
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Datalink7
Noble

Post by Datalink7 »

Thanks for the reports.

I'm interested in your rematch against empire. I got killed by an Empire list last tournament. Entire army was 1+ armor save, outside of 3 cannons and the wizards.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Adsvampire
Warrior

Post by Adsvampire »

Game #12 vs Empire

I played:

Kharibdyss = 160

vs

Arch Lector - War Altar of Sigmar, HA, GW, Charmed Shield, White Cloak of Ulric
Wizard Lord - lvl 4 (Light), Dispel Scroll, Obsidian Lodestone, Van Horstmann's Speculum

Captain - BSB, FPA, Barded Steed, Dragon Helm, Dawnstone, Great Weapon

36 Halberdiers - LA, Halberd, S + M
D - 5 Archers - bow
D - 5 Archers - bow
9 Knights - FPA, Barded Steed, Sh, Lance, S + M
5 Knights - FPA, Barded Steed, Sh, Lance

4 Demigryph Knights - Barding, FPA, Sh, Lance, Standard
4 Demigryph Knights - Barding, FPA, Sh, Lance, Standard, Banner of Eternal Flame
Great Cannon
Mortar

Celestial Hurricanum
Steam Tank

The rematch against the army that smashed me last time. The dice came up with Battle Line for the game. I started well by getting first turn and everything advanced towards the turtled empire lines. Magic was uneventful, I believe I doom bolted something. Shooting put a few wounds here and there accounting for a knight from the small unit and putting a wound on a demigryph unit, and the big shades shot down the mortar. The empire generally stayed put except for the stank which made it into a unit of dark riders and made them go poof. Oh, and the small knights charged my small shades. The stand and shoot did nothing but the shades killed 4 knights in combat but the last one held. Shooting saw the cannon hit the Cauldron and put 4 wounds on it while the death hag passed her ward save.

Turn 2 and I continued to advance with both warlock units sneaking around the flanks. My last dark rider unit sat in front of a demigryph unit while the WEs planted themselves in front of the other. My Kharybdiss did charge the stank. Magic saw a doom bolt destroy the Hurricanum. Shooting did a small bit here and there ... a wound or two on demigryphs. In combat the last knight died to my shades and the k-beast put a wound on the stank due to a lot of bad rolls ... it did hit 4 out of 5 times though. The empire retaliated by backing up a bit and opening a fire lane for the cannon on the cauldron. The demis in front of the dark riders charged and destroyed them reforming to face the flank of the WEs. The stank got 4 steam points and ground the k-beats into small chunky bits ... it's cannon then shot 3 wounds off a chariot :(. In magic the demis in front of the WEs got Pha's off on it. The cannon shot at the cauldron again and hit it again but rolled a 1 to wound the cauldron and the hag passed her ward save again.

My turn 3 and the wounded chariot charged the stank to hold it up. The WEs and a hydra charged the demis in front of them. The DL charged the other demis. A warlock unit charged some archers. A hydra moved around the demis engaged with the DL to flame the halberds. The shades in the building moved out into a flanking position against the stank. The other shades and warlocks moved to the rear of the empire lines. In magic an AoE Soulblight went up irresistably and I lost a warlock. Shooting killed a knight and around 20 halberdiers. In combat my witches went first and killed a demi ... which was removed from contact with the hydra and thus took him out of combat ... drat! The demi in return tried to destroy the cauldron since it had only 1 wound left but failed. They lost combat by a good bit but held on a 5 ... uh oh. The DL did a single wound to the demis and took 2 in return despite his re-rollable 3+ armor save. The warlocks smashed the archers. And finally, my chariot did 2 wounds to the stank. The empire turn 3 saw some shuffling around but little else due to everything being blocked up. The stank ground up my chariot. In magic the lector got the bubble ward save off. Shooting saw the cannon put 4 wounds on the hydra that breathed on the halberds. In combat in bit poorly with the WE against the demis only inflicting a wound or two and taking a good bit back. I won combat but the demis stuck around. My DL died to the other demis :(.

Turn 4 and my hydra and a chariot charged the halberds (front and flank respectively). The shades on that flank had charged their rear as well but failed. A warlock unit charged the cannon and my other shades charged the flank of the stank. Magic saw another AoE Soulblight go off and I lost a warlock to the miscast. In combat my lone warlock (after miscast) beat the cannon and broke it reforming to face the rear of the empire lines. The hydra and chariot killed around 10 halberds thanks to their ward save. So they were still stead fast and stuck around (and they failed to kill the hydra who got 1 wound back at the end of the turn). My WEs finally broke the demis they were fighting but the last guy got away (the standard died upon breaking). My shades did 2 wounds to the stank. Empire turn 4 and the bg knights charged the front (losing 3 on the way in due to woods) of my WEs with the demis into their flank (but at an odd angle such that only 1 could make it into contact ... the other being on the cauldron if you extended down the line). The popemobile hit the flank of my hydra. The fleeing demi rallied. In magic Pha's went up on the knights and another buble Ward came from the Pope. In combat the pope killed my hydra outright. My chariot killed a few guys but lost combat and stuck around. In the WE fight my Hag challenged the empire BSB who had to accept (he could refuse but if they lost combat it would be bad) but neither side inflicted any damage. The knights and demis killed a few WEs for no damage in return and I lost combat but stuck around. The demis combat reformed to get both into combat with regular WEs. The stank took another wound or two but then breathed all but one shade off who then fled (can a stank combat reform? we played that it could not).

Turn 5 and my hydra charged the rallied demi, the larger warlocks hit the front of the popemobile and the shades hit the rear of the halberds, and the lone warlock hiot the other flank of the halberds. In magic yet another AoE soulblight went up. In combat my death hag killed the empire BSB (I forgot to mention he took a wound from dangerous terrain when charging in) and my WEs killed all but one of the remaining knights. In return I took a few wounds but the sole knight broke while the demis stuck around. I combat reformed to face the demis. My chariot, shades, and warlock killed all but the front rank of halberds (and wizard lord ... leaving them still steadfast) but I lost 4 shades in return. The halberds stuck around. My big warlocks bounced off the popemobile and took one in return for a drawn combat. My hydra actually killed the rallied chicken and reformed to face the stank. Empire turn 5 and nothing moved since evrything but a unit of archers was engaged. I must have something wrong because this is when the stank killed my shades. Another AoE ward came up from the Arch Lector. In combat the demis failed to destroy the cauldron and lost combat, broke, and were run down. I lost the cauldron on a failed dangerous terrain check. My chariot, shades, and warlock beat and ran down the remaining halberdiers. Both the shades and warlock hit the flank of the popemobile engaged with my other warlocks. I did some wounds to the mobile, it lost combat, broke, and got away.

Turn 6 and I charged the popemobile off the field and charged my last hydra into the stank (should not have done this). Anyway, the empire had just 2 archers and the stank left. The stank ground my hydra off the field and I shot one archer dead.

Win for the DE! Revenge and slaves are mine .... mwahahahahaha!

What a bloodbath. I had just 4 warlocks left in 2 units, 4 shades in 2 units, the WEs, and a chariot left vs the stank and an archer. Again, I don't miss the big wizards with Doombolt and Soulblight working just fine. I'm very disappointed with the DLs performance this game as he bounced off the demis and died so quickly. His job is to hold crap like that up until I can swarm it. I do like the shades over RBTs because they are better able to remove units from the game as opposed to damaging them (which the RBTs can do very well .... but you only get points for destroyed units). Anyway, I hope you enjoyed.
Datalink7
Noble

Post by Datalink7 »

Awesome. Great report.

I'm thinking about trying a list similar to yours next time I play a game. I have a few changes in mind (I think split the difference between shades and bolt throwers, with one unit of shades and 2xbolt throwers).

Also, I might drop a Hydra and go with an Assassin (Obsidian Blade and Manbane).

How have you found the Hydra's? I was thinking 2xKharibdyss and 1xHydra might be better, since Hydras seem to be good at killing infantry but Witch Elves already excel at this.
Ashes and Diamons,
Foe and Friend,
We are all equal,
In the End.
Adsvampire
Warrior

Post by Adsvampire »

The k-beast is usually the first thing to drop. Perhaps 2 would be better. I find the hydras to be on par or even a little more useful than the k-beast since both have a breathe weapon. The hydras do pull a good bit of weight in my list.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

A stank cannot do anything at the end of a combat it wins. No pursue, no reform, no nothing.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Adsvampire
Warrior

Post by Adsvampire »

Game #13 vs Beastmen

I will play:

Death Hag (General) - 2 Hand Weapons, Cauldron of Blood = 275
Master - BSB, Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Shield, Cloak of Twilight

Kharibdyss = 160

I replaced the DL with a master with nearly the same kit. The Death Hag gave her flag to the master and became the army general. I got another unit of 8 shades and bumped the unit of 7 to 8 with the points saved.

vs

Doombull - Heavy Armor, Shield, Ramhorn Helm, Gnarled Hide, Dawnstone, The Brass Cleaver, The Other Trickster's Shard = 353

Great Bray-Shaman - lvl 4 (Death), Dispel Scroll, 2 Hand Weapons = 264

Gorebull - BSB, Heavy Armor, The Beast Banner, 2 Hand Weapons = 273

37 Ungors - Shield, FC = 200
20 Ungors - Shield, S + M = 109
5 Ungor Raiders - Shortbow = 30
Tuskgor Chariot - Spear, Great Weapon = 80

6 Minotaurs - Light Armor, Shield, FC = 380
Razorgor Chariot - Spear, Great Weapon = 145
Razorgor Chariot - Spear, Great Weapon = 145

Chaos Spawn = 55
Chaos Spawn = 55

So, I'd like to say I won but I didn't. It was fairly close and very bloody but in the end I did not play the MSU playstyle very well and paid for it. In all honesty, aside from the Doombull the Beastmen army has nothing I should worry about since I have mobile shooting that can hit and they do not. But, instead of being patient and using my superior shooting abilities I moved to engage instead. In the end I failed to kill either Minotaur character or the Mino unit which accounts for nearly 2/5 of their points. My witch unit was killed to the girl by the doombull, gorebull, and large ungor unit with the Doombull doing the majority of the damage. Neither of my hydras did anything as one failed a panic check and eventually fled the field and the other got spirit leeched.

Death Hag (General) - 2 Hand Weapons, Cauldron of Blood = 275

She did her job and lead the WEs but was smushed by the Doombull for no damage in return. Her Cauldron survived until turn 6 when it was charged off the field.

Master - BSB, Dark Pegasus, Heavy Armor, Sea Dragon Cloak, Lance, Shield, Cloak of Twilight

Did OK. I'm not sold on this guy over the Dreadlord yet though. I'll have to play with it some more. He held up the minos for several turns and did eventually kill the great bray-shaman.

Almost killed the Gorebull after they fled from combat. He had 2 wounds left and I inflicted 2 which the Gorebull rolled 5's to save against ... and then I remember they had fled from combat and the Razor Standard was now in the dirt. Usually this unit is a star but in this game against a Tank character they pittered out.

Meh, they helped out here and there. I'm wondering if they would be better without the Rxbs. They are often hitting on 5s or 6s and with only 10 shots they often do little to no damage. I may drop the Rxbs.

These guys are pretty good. They are very mobile, can fight off chaff very well, and supply a good bit of mobile accurate shooting. Three units may be a bit much though since I feel that I could use the armor penetrating power of an RBT or two. I may drop one unit for 2 RBTs.

They did nothing this game but they typically do a fair bit. I like them so they stay for now. They are very vulnerable to panic and death magic though so a bit of babysitting is required.

These make for great support units of the Cauldron since the enitre model has the Murderous Prowess rule. I like them, they are cheap, have good armor, and hit pretty hard.

These guys are golden. Fast, tough, versatile, what don't they do. A must have in every army. I'd like to bump each unit up to 7 to see how they perform.

Kharibdyss = 160

I like him but he is only OK. I often forget about his Leadership re-roll ability though so perhaps my opinion would be better if I remembered all of his rules.

I still don't view a Lvl 4 Wizard as a must have. The warlocks have been doing their jobs very well. Since I'm using an MSU approach the monsters are a bit of a liability unless they stay near the general and/or BSB ... and that in turn limits their utility. I may try replacing some with Cold One Knights in the future.
Adsvampire
Warrior

Post by Adsvampire »

Posted report above.
Scyloc
Noble

Post by Scyloc »

Thank you for The reports, and sharing your thoughts and capabilities of your army build.
Adsvampire
Warrior

Post by Adsvampire »

Game #14 - DE vs Dwarfs

I played:

Kharibdyss = 160

Total = 289 + 310 + 625 + 870 + 410 = 2495 (my points are off)

vs

Thane - BSB, 1+ re-rollable, GW?
Runesmith - GA, MR Balance, stuff
Runesmith - GA, Rune of Spell Breaking, stuff
Dragon Slayer - Rune of Swiftness, Rune of Burning
Dragon Slayer - Rune of Burning

40 Warriors - HA, Sh, FC
40 Warriors - HA, Sh, GW, FC
20 Rangers - x-bow, GW, HA, S + M

15 Miners - HA, GW, S + M
Grudge Thrower - 2 x Rune of Penetrating
Cannon - Rune of Burning
Cannon

Organ Gun
Organ Gun
Gyrocopter

No anvil so pretty tame for a dwarf list. However, there are a lot of warmachines.

The early game went very well for my peeps. I lost a unit of shades to an organ gun when it paniced and fled the field after failing 3 rally checks in a row. I also lost the K-beast to the crossbowmen when he got charged and lost combat by a musician, ran, and was trodden to paste. My cauldron was hit twice by cannons with the Hag passing both ward saves and the cauldron taking one wound and passing one ward.

The mid game saw a hydra take 4 wounds from a cannon ball but later recover all of them :). I was able to destroy a cannon and both organ guns in the meantime (it helped that both misfired at least once). I also eliminated both slayers.

Late game saw the rest of the dwarves removed via combat ... except for the crossbowmen who fled to safety. The GW horde got breathed down to just 19-20 guys once both hydras breathed on them with the help of a bubble soulblight. When they charge my witches only the 2 characters in the unit got to swing as everyone else was chopped up.

Resounding win for the DE.

Not much to say here. Pretty much everything went to plan. I only lost a unit of shades, the k-beast, and a chariot for the entire dwarf army sans x-bowmen. I would like to play the battle again though because my opponent had unfortunate luck concerning his warmachines and I also did quite well with my ward saves. You will notice that I did go back to the Dread Lord ... but I may still revert to the master and get that extra unit of shades back.