Experimental Lists #2 & #3: SoS Spire & SoS Pincer

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Experimental Lists #2 & #3: SoS Spire & SoS Pincer

Post by T.D. »

SoS Sole Spire 2400

5 Dark Riders Sh, Rxb, muso, Ch
- Sorceress Lv1 Metal, Steed, Ruby Ring

5 Dark Riders Sh, Rxb, muso

3 x 5 Harpies

2 x RBT

26 Witches FC, Razor

20 SoS FC, War Banner
- Bloodwrack Shrine
- SS Lv4 Life, RoH, DS, II
- Master, Halberd, Heavy Armour, SDC, BSB, BDE

23 Executioners FC, Gleaming

You've heard of the Two Towers; this list is a sole Tower making use of the extreme stickiness of the Sisters and the power of our two main infantry units.

Basically, a triple combat block list, with the BWS/SoS Anvil as the pivot between two wings: Reaper, Dark Riders, Witches on one side, Executioners, Dark Riders, Reaper on the other (obviously terrain and opposition dependent). The "flock of Harpies" are multipurpose, but with a main role of screening the Sisters.

"Missy Warlock" is a Sorceress charged with replacing the role of Warlocks, who have been squeezed out due to the 600 Rare limit. The Master is there to provide one shot of armour ignoring and high S hits at the right time; covering the weakness of the Sisters.

Incidentally, these are the other Heroes that I would like to test with Sisters:

- Hag, Rune of Khaine either Obsidian or Ogre Blade.

- Assassin, AHW, Black Lotus, Black Dragon Egg

-> The Halberd Master is the middle of the road choice, with less power but cheaper and with more survivability (especially in a Life SS unit).

-> The Assassin is most effect in a closed list when using a small flanking unit of Sisters (as opposed to the BWS anvil). Innocuous flanking unit gains surprise killing power!

The Supreme Sorceress protects the Sisters from magic (and hopefully artillery), while Life Lore is used to make the triple combat block viable with buffs and the threat of late game Dwellers. The Sorceress is sheltered by the narrowness of the unit, FC + BWS. With BSB, Ld10 (BWS), and Life magic, the infantry battleline should be strong.

The weakness of the list is chaff control ...but that is why it bears the "experimental" moniker. It needs extensive playtesting.

SoS Sole Spire 2400 -- Version 2

- 1 Peg Master CoT

5 Dark Riders Sh, Rxb, muso
- 1 Peg Master BSB, ChSh, ToP

2 x 5 Harpies

3 x RBT

14 Witches FC, Razor

20 SoS FC, War Banner
- Bloodwrack Shrine
- SS Lv4 Metal, RoH, DS, II
- Master, Halberd, Heavy Armour, SDC, BDE

14 Witches FC, Swiftness

Variant swapping out Execs for Pegs 8)

**********************************************************************************************

SoS Pincer 2400

10 SoS FC War Banner

RBT

26 Witches FC, Razor
- Hag, BSB, Cauldron, Cry of War

K-Beast

5 Harpies

Hydra Flame Template

16 Executioners FC, Gleaming
- SS Lv4 Heavens, BA, DS, II

RBT

10 SoS FC Flaming

This list is a "Double Pincer":

Pincer 1:

Reaper, Dark Riders

SoS--CoBWitchHorde--K-Beast

Pincer 2:

Hydra--Executioners--SoS

Reaper, Dark Riders

Ideal is for Witch Horde to combo charge with WarBanner Sisters and K-Beast: CoBWitch resolution + K resolution + SoS Resolution + -CR + Cry of War + K-Ld Re-roll = Ouch and Run Away to most things(!)

While Executioners combo with Hydra and other unit of Sisters.

As with earlier list, not a lot of board control, though an effort to mitigate both this and enemy shooting is the Lore choice of Heavens on the Supreme Sorceress. She has Black Amulet in case of combat and for miscast damage.

Witches (anti-toughness, anti-horde), Execs (S6), 2 x Sisters (combo factor), Hydra (anti-horde), K-Beast (S7) + chaff and artillery should be able to handle most threats, especially when the synergies are combined...

But: It needs extensive playtesting.
Last edited by T.D. on Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Shadowstalker18
Trainee Warrior

Re: Experimental Lists #2 & #3: SoS Spire & SoS Pincer

Post by Shadowstalker18 »

Of the lists I like the first the best. Life does very well with a list like this. I run a list similar to this myself but I drop the harpies and level 2 for a hard hitting dread lord to add to the combat res of the sisters.
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

In both spire lists, you dont enter a bloodwrack shrine... Did you forget about it or? :P

I like the potential of a sister + shrine unit. Can stick forever and ever. And ever. Then flank that shiz.
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Shadowstalker18 wrote:Of the lists I like the first the best. Life does very well with a list like this. I run a list similar to this myself but I drop the harpies and level 2 for a hard hitting dread lord to add to the combat res of the sisters.

Thanks for the feedback. A Giant Blade DL would complement this approach and is something I'll have to try out.

How have you found crossing the board with the Sisters?

Thraundil wrote:In both spire lists, you dont enter a bloodwrack shrine... Did you forget about it or? :P

Lol. Stealth Bloodwrack Shine! Updated :P

Thraundil wrote:I like the potential of a sister + shrine unit. Can stick forever and ever. And ever. Then flank that shiz.

But can it reliably cross the board? Is the rest of the list enough to generate preferred match ups? Questions I'd like to answer :)
OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Sangfroid
Executioner

Post by Sangfroid »

I prefer the second list with the pegs as I think these just add so much to the options you have, some thoughts though.

1) if your going to keep the RBT I'd swap out the witches for 3 x 10 dark shards or if you have the points 2 x15 with shields as these will still be able to flank but will force the enemy to do something also with metal lore you could end up glittering robes bubble and suddenly you have 3+ Elves and 4+ sisters. That way your infantry find a good spot to set up shop and then your fliers and DR can encircle and do the usual fun stuff :-) I think the metal combo with this mini castle is good for all spells in the lore (except maybe gennas) so your guaranteed to get 4 useful spells. I'd deploy in a formation rather than in response to enemy for your infantry here.

2) if you keep the witches I'd trim down to 2 units screened by 2 units of rbh corsairs (all this is roughly the same points I think) then I'd drop the RBT to upgrade a master to a ogre blade toting dreadlord and a lvl 2 dark magic (also to take the scroll off lvl 4 to enable dreadlord within points. Again every spell in dark is useful to you though I guess ideally you would want to have 2 of pod, DB, wop, bw, cw or sod.) because u would be running sisters 7 wide (2 either side of shrine) both castes can be in second rank and next to chariot so immune to all attacks except snipes. I know you lose the ranged support but the combination of DL and extra caster makes up for it (I think) also you have effectively 5 mini forces that can work independently if needed plus all the combos together

DR + DL + Harpy
DR + CoT master + Harpy
Corsairs + witches x2
SOS + shrine

3) I'd also ensure in each list the BSB is in the sisters as this is where the bulk of your army is situated for his kit I think dawn stone, enchanted shield and sword of might/striking + pot of fortitude. Reason is that your medusa and master can help out with tough enemies and don't forget most things with T4 will also have ST 4 or betters so your sisters get +1 to hit/wound and with metal you can give your self a pseudo razor standard or just reduce their armour AND if you go with PoD on your lvl 2 the. You can boost yourself up anyway. Also as discussed elsewhere this gives you +6 if You are charged (and nor ranks for foe) or +7 if you charge (+8 for a flank +9 for a rear........)

There you go, that's my ideas you know I love corsairs, sisters and hate RBT so that's why it's probably slightly biased towards them :-)
Thraundil
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Thraundil »

T.D. wrote:But can it reliably cross the board? Is the rest of the list enough to generate preferred match ups? Questions I'd like to answer :)

You can only find out by testing :P I have never really used sisters. With life magic you can make sure you dont get shot to pieces... They are about as durable with a life mage, as a WE unit with cauldron is. Only wood elves, tomb kings, and very shooty high elves (who are shite vs other armies than DE!) can really do alot of damage to them. Well and dwarves maybe. You have a lot of cheap drops to get the good matchups. Only VC and ogres are going to be outdeploying you I'd say... and vampires are easy to predict anyway ;)
Name: Ladry (female)
Class: Mage (Pyromancer)
Equipment: Staff, longsword, dagger, 20 gold, insignia ring.
Skills: Power of Aqshy (2), defensive figthing
WS4, S2, T3, D4, I6.
Shadowstalker18
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shadowstalker18 »

Screen them with your plethora of harpies and they will get to wherever they are needed. Like someone also mentioned, with life, it is very easy to keep them alive.

Dan