2400pt army list

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Shearov
Trainee Warrior

2400pt army list

Post by Shearov »

For my upcoming tournament I have been playing round with a list, making changes here and there etc... which has started to do my head in a bit. So I scrapped it, and just put a few things in which weren't really like my other list and am tempted to just go with it.

I'll list it here and see what you guys think, also if you can spot a way I can have an assasin in which would would well I'd be grateful (only because I've just finished painting the Shadowblade model).

LORD

Morathi

HERO(ES)

Death Hag ,Witchbrew, BSB

Sorceress (Dispel Scroll, Obsidian Talisman, Ironcurse Icon, Warrior Bane) (Life)

Tullaris

CORE

6 X Dark Riders, standard bearer RXB, Shield

6 X Dark Riders, standard bearer RXB, Shield

14 X Witch Elves

14 X Witch Elves

SPECIAL

Cold One Chariot

28 Executioners of Har Ganeth, Full Command, Banner of Swiftness

4 X Bolt Throwes

War Hydra, Fiery Breath

Thought:

Tullaris, Hag and Sorceress all go in Execs, giving them a stupid amount of S6 KB hits. Sorceress gets Earth Blood and casts it as much as she can, then probably dies in combat, also is the scroll caddy.

People either try to shoot down big block, or smaller WE blocks, enough should survive to mangle any in combat.

CoC and Hydra guard flanks, DRs, can either try to position themselves to stop WEs having to frenzy charge / go after warmachines / small shooty units.

I really don't know whether to have the Hag as BSB, she will probably die, and 3 main units being ItP so no panic checks until combat, CoC having very good Ld, keep stuff 6" away from Hydra, and rest being out of test range, I thought I might not need it. Three lots of frenzy tests, I thought I might.

I could get 3 more exes if I got rid of BSB status (and Ironcurse and magic sword on sorceress, only there to as i had nothing else to spend the points on!

The two standards on the Dark Riders are due to 2 games being blood and glory of the 6, so it will be a much needed help to the fortitude.
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: 2400pt army list

Post by Red... »

It looks like an okay list. But a executioner block with tullaris and a witch brew hag in it may well struggle with its frenzy tests on a re-rollable 6 or less. Consider dropping them down to normal frenzy - you will still get the insane combat power, but less chance of getting baited away by enemy forces or being compelled to try to charge from 16.9" away and then failing the charge repeatedly.

Regarding adding an assassin. I would drop one of the bolt throwers (4 seems like overkill at 2,400), one dark rider from each of the two dark rider units, two executioners, and warrior bane from the sorceress, that free up 139 points. I would then add an assassin with the ring of hotek into the executioner unit (140 points, so you would need to find a point saving somewhere else, unless you already have a couple of spare points in hand), providing you with a 2+ ward save against most direct damage and vortex spells (except those that ignore saves altogether). You could then also change out the obsidian talisman on the sorceress to something else.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

Probably it is better to use corsairs in this case rather than WE: you drop one A, but 2 each is still pretty good, and you gain a 4+ armour save

not sure i will renounce to warlock, they are just too good!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Except that witches also bring with them poison and frenzy, both of which are very powerful. I would stick with the witches personally, as they can soak up the shooting without running away (due to frenzy) and can take on even the toughest of foes (due to poison). AHW Corsairs have a very important role in dark elf armies nowadays - someone has to dust that mantelpiece while the real warriors are off fighting battles!
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Cicciuz
Warrior

Post by Cicciuz »

I don't know... in tournament there are so many gunline...
a unit of HE archers can easily wipe away your unit of witch elves.. it makes no point resist to shooting if your unit is reduced to a couple of models..

@Shearov: how do you think to protect morathi? have you thought about it yet?
Shearov
Trainee Warrior

Post by Shearov »

Hmm, good question about Morathi, I was hoping threatening the ranged units and movement could help but my practice game saw her take a cannonball to the face Turn 1 (they got first turn). We didn't play with much terrain so nothing to hide behind. She rolled up Mindrazor, which could be deadly with a one of the blocks of witch elves, if people ignore them prefering to concentrate on the executioners etc...

It was against a true dwarf gunline, 2 cannons, 1 grudge thrower, 1 organ gun, 2 big units of hand gunners / crossbow men, 1 unit of helldrakes.

I thought it wouldn't be good especially after the above, but I managed to trudge on, getting my exe block (with the sorceress pumping regen on them, and him not flaming it) and get 19 into combat with his combat block at the back (with BSB and general in). Made short work of the BSB and General with killing blows (Tularis KB on a 5+ is great), and ended up drawing with ironbreakers first round.

Second round chopped him to bits and over run into the flanks of his shooting blocks, and went through them.

Most things got shot off, witch elves (after dealing with a gyrocopter), Dark Riders, threatrning the shooting units flanks, so he had to deal with these, CoC, bolt throwers etc... I did end up with 1 WE charging a cannon on her own, she died, but the frenzy on them really helped with panic checks. (I could have hid her behind a building to save points, but seeing as her unit got shot up getting there, she needed a chance for glory!)

With so much running towrds him, he seemed to worry and the executioners got away with only 11 wounds before combat, which helped.

It ended up with me winning by 345 pts which was great I thought, especially as the gunlines were what I feared the most. (Which is why I played it in a warm up game).

Was a fun list to play though.

The list I used (and will take to the tounament was )

Morathi

Tularis
Assassin (Ring of Hotek (that worked well against dwarves :)))
Master, Peg, 1+ CoT, lance
Sorceress (dispel scroll, ironcurse icon) life lvl 2

14 Witch Elves
14 Witch Elves
7 Dark Riders, RxB, Shields, standard bearer
7 Dark Riders, RxB, Shields, standard bearer

30 Executioners, Full Command, Gleaming Pendant.
2 Reaper Bolt Throwers
6 Shades, AHW
Cold One Chariot