Warhammer Renaissance . What to expect?

Get critiqued on your latest army here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Bobba Looba
Corsair

Warhammer Renaissance . What to expect?

Post by Bobba Looba »

Hi all, I am planning on playing a friendly game of Warhammer Renaissance 1000 points against High Elves soon. WR is an unofficial ruleset based on 4th edition, but with a couple of tweaks which should decrease the overpowered characters and improve the viability of troops.

I am glad to be able to play a game of old school warhammer, but I have never played these rules. I actually never played 4th either, so I have no idea what to expect or how units will perform.

Does anyone have any experience with either WRenaissance or 4th to give some tips or which units are fun?

Thanks
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Re: Warhammer Renaissance . What to expect?

Post by Bobba Looba »

So, after studying the rules better, I've come to the conclusion that DE have a rather big disadvantage in the matchup with High Elves. Specifically their elite infantry is exceptionally good. Every regiment I have, he has too, but better or cheaper. Most of the elites have higher initiative than Dark Elves. I don't think any of my troops will survive any round in hand to hand combat. 1000 points is too little to bring a horde or a battle line to get some flanking charges.

So my idea is to try to avoid combat and go heavy on shooting. My crossbowmen shoot at any skirmishers or vanguard troops. A unit of Dark riders advances quickly and disrupts his advancing troops and shoots at his elite troops and or war machines with some improved shooting skills. I hope to have peeled off enough of them before the inevitable melee.

My list so far is below. Warhammer Renaissance limits the strength of heroes by making the magic items less powerful and focuses more on regiments by mandating at least 50% of the total points cost and by making a banner bearer and musician free at a certain number of models. It also lets units fight in two ranks at 8 models or more.

- Sorcerer lvl 2 with a dispel scroll
155 points

- Hero with Armour of Hotek (1+ armour save, instant kill or multiple wounds count as 1 wound) in the regiment of warriors. His function is to hold out and be able to deal some damage himself. (General)
110 points

- 15 Warriors with heavy armour, shields, crossbows and a banner of spell protection (natural dispel 4+)
215 points

- 9 Dark riders with light armour, shields, speras, & rep. crossbows. Banner of Hope and Glory (+1 WS & +1BS) and a regimental champion with Life Taker (Crossbow which fires two shots that always hit at 2+).
293 points - Dark riders
60 points - Champion

- 2 Repeater Bolt Throwers
160 points

---------------
Total 993 points.

I would love to hear your thoughts.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Good analysis, with a logical outcome.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

I played the game this evening and I lost. I may have had a little bad luck, but I also misjudged a couple of things when building my list.

At the last minute I split the unit of Dark riders into two as I thought it would give me more options and give him less of an easy target.

His list included 8 Silver helms, 8 shadow warriors with a sorceress, 8 archers, a hero on a pegasus a chariot and a big block of 16 spearmen. He surprised me with a list with no magic items and therefore had more units than I anticipated.

First off, we rolled a scenario where we had an 18 inch distance to each other, so he could easily reach me in his first/second turns.
My dark riders got shot to bits in two turns and one of the units got charged and defeated by the pegasus on the first turn on it's way to my side of the board. Even though I fired everything I had at the Silver helms, they survived with a little luck and still managed to reach my crossbowmen fairly unharmed.

His spearmen got to my Bolt throwers in the second turn and had defeated them both by the third

My unit of crossbowmen did hold very well, as they fended off both the silver helms and the chariot. But they got charged in the back by his spearmen in the fourth and last turn and made some big losses.

Magic was basically non-existant as he had the drain magic spell and we both successfully dispelled all of each others spells that did manage to pass through.

There were some good points too. My big block of crossbowmen served as a perfect anvil unit and managed to hold out multiple turns of heavy beating. Also, since my units were in constant melee, his archers didn't really serve much purpose. Also, I had brought an Orb of Thunder, which cancels/ drives off flying units. Even though it was only for one turn, his master on pegasus had only a small role in the battle.

All in all, it was a great evening and I'll get a rematch soon. For rhe next battle, I'll leave out the Dark riders as they simply cost too much and are unable to deal enough damage to make up for it. Maybe I'll split up the unit of crossbowmen and add a hydra or a unit of executioners. Both if we play with a higher point count.