NEW POST kicker

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Malfunction
Black Guard

NEW POST kicker

Post by Malfunction »

When there is a new post in a forum, and one goes into that forum, he/she has to look around for the new posts and sometimes can miss things. Is it possible, that when you enter a forum that has new posts, the new posts are the first ones to pop up?

Example:
http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?forum=1;

You may not understand what is being discussed, but just click on a fourm that has an orange paper beside it and you will see that the new posts are the first ones that are read. It may help people from wading through (sometimes multiple) old posts just to find an answer.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

I'm not entirely sure I understand what you're proposing (although I think I do). If you go to the main page when you log in, there's a link that says that there have been "X amount of new posts since you last logged in". If you click on the link it lists every single new post. There's also the scrolling thingummy that lists the ten most recent (not sure if it's ten, but it's something like that).
Goodbye.
Malfunction
Black Guard

Post by Malfunction »

Sneaky, yeah, I have seen that. For Example, I wanted to check on my Humor article that had a couple responses, wasnt listed on the revolving "most recent 10" posts, and when I went into the forum, I had to start at the top instead of the two new posts. Does that make sence? I wish there was a better way to relay what I am thinking...
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.
-Douglas Adams
Imdat tauble
Master Babel Fish
Master Babel Fish

Post by Imdat tauble »

lol its there - you just aren't seeing it.

Topics with new posts have a little arrow to the left of the text. Try clicking that.
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Or, if you really want, there's a link at the bottom of a thread (aligned right between the quick reply and the "Display posts from previous" bars) which says "Watch this topic for replies". It will send you an e-mail notification when you have a reply to the topic.
Goodbye.
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

but.. this is how it is. the ones with new posts are at the top and maked with a special little icon.
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Since we're all wanna crash this party...

IMO the reply notifications are your best choice. Either you have it checked in your profile as automatically send you an e-mail if a topic receives a reply after your last visit (note: visit, not post) in a thread you've been posting in.
Those notifications work wonders to keep track of every thread you've been involved in. And the link in those notifications goes straight to the last unread post.

Loremaster Nagathi
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

If you read at the bottom of the forums page all the icons for the status of threads are listed.
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Malfunction
Black Guard

Post by Malfunction »

Yes, I know the symbols for new posts and threads. I think there is a misunderstanding, though.

Although the THREAD is highlighted, the NEW POSTS are still at the bottom of the thread, and sometimes that is 2-3 pages away. What I am suggesting is a way to bring the NEW POSTS to the immediate top, so you see what is new, not old.

IE:
INITIAL POST
---------log off
---------log on
NEW reply
NEW reply
NEW reply

currently is is like this:
INITIAL POST
--------log off
--------log on
INITIAL POST
NEW reply
NEW reply
NEW reply

Instead of rereading all the old posts as it currently is, you are able to see all the NEW posts first, and go back only if you wish.

Does that make it more clear?
-Douglas Adams
Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Post by Kithan^^ »

I dunno, i think sum1 else should help u out here i misunderstood sorry, but now im so confused i muct look like the dude on ur pic, malfunction... :D
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

I do understand what you mean, but if you're too lazy to scroll down (it only takes a fraction of a second) to the new posts, I'm not really sure you have the energies to read anything anyway...

Loremaster nagathi
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Well, that is an interesting point, and one that can be changed in other forums. I think this site supports that kind of thing (since there is a field for the forum format - though with only one choice as of now). If you like it that way (I personally do not), you can always click the reply button for the topic and scroll down that way (you should see things in the opposite order then). Alternatively, there is the link for every topic to the most recent post and instead of scrolling down you can scroll up.

As it is, I think new forum formats, though they can be added to the pile in Kitrik's office, may end up as a lower priority thing.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

ahh ok now i get it too.. ok no need to laugh i been away for a while.

and i actually think it is a good idea.. partly. though i still want the threads to look like now perhaps a little blurb that you havent read a post. sometimes it saves time to not having to rerear the whole thread to make sure you didnt miss anything.

but like vorchild said: as kitrik is rather busy ...
Insanity_shade
Dark Rider

Post by Insanity_shade »

An addition to this thread: When I come here after a weekend/few days without visiting, there are often 400+ new posts, and yet when I click the link to show them all, I only ever get 3 pages. with 50 posts displayed on each page. Even taking into account threads that have received more than 1 new reply, this isn't nearly all of the new posts/replies.