Making ongoing topics Sticky.

Throw your ideas for Druchii.net around in here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Kithan^^
1337 Humour Terrorist
Location: With Injektilo in Binktopia-The realm of Stupidity and Whipped Cream

Making ongoing topics Sticky.

Post by Kithan^^ »

Well i see again and again same topics coming again and again, like for example the assassin combos etc. What about making them sticky? So we wouldnt have to be reading the same stuff again and again?
Aspect of Anger
Aspect of the Assassin
Aspect of the unbanned Humour Terrorist

Previously known as Kithan Bloodblade

Kithan...has...been...pwned....by...D.net...

Song of the moment: Pagans Mind - Aegan Shores
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

If it is the same topic revived you can easily skip it and read the next one, if it is new threads a mod should see it (if not, then report it) and lock with a gentle comment and a link to the first thread about it.

Loremaster Nagathi
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

The problem with making those things sticky is that there are simply so many of them and they'd fill up the page. We tried a similar thing in Tactics and it just got all cluttered. That being said, we are trying something in Tactics now which is to make one sticky with links to all the other good previously sticky topics, so we'll see how that goes. As for topics of the caliber of the assassin combos, those I don't think should ever be sticky. After all, its going to be a one liner that says manbane and fury of khaine.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Dodgy
Shade

Post by Dodgy »

I was going to suggest something like that Vorchild. I have another idea as well. How about creating an "archive". Copy contents of popular subjects and make a read only thread about that topic. Merge all similar topics to one so it doesnt become cluttered with 57 topics about the same thing. The problem might be to get people to read it, especially newly signed up. That can be solved with a automated private message I guess and with a well visible link in the menu. Just an idea...
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Dodgy, if you look at the Tactics forum, that's more or less what's happening now. It's a "Hall of Fame", where links are provided to old but popular topics. If that works, I think we'll try to implement it in other forums... Wargamers' Discussion would probably be next, and we'd probably have a hall of fame for jokes.
Goodbye.
Dodgy
Shade

Post by Dodgy »

Yeah I saw that. In another forum where I was a member, we tried the same thing. It didnt really work out well there. No one cared to click through the topics listed in the thread. I'm not saying my idea is better. I have no idea if it works. Lets hope your idea works here though. I think its great to have everything important easily at hand...
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Btw, following this idea, I think it would be nice to send every new user a PM with links to the most important topics of the site, those being rules, etc etc...
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Anaryin wrote:Btw, following this idea, I think it would be nice to send every new user a PM with links to the most important topics of the site, those being rules, etc etc...

Its already been done. :) PM me and I'll send you one.
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Anaryin
Lord of the 7th Convent

Post by Anaryin »

Ahh, didn't know :)

... WHEN I JOINED IN (back in december 02..or 01.. dunno) THERE WAS NO SUCH THINGS AS THESE!! And we were polite :P

Nice then :)
Sneaky
Daemon Prince

Post by Sneaky »

Anaryin: It's a fairly recent implementation, actually, so you shouldn't feel bad ;).

Dodgy: Point noted, but there may be greater success here because we mods are either highly dedicated to our "job" or we just have no lives... in any case, we'd probably catch anyone who hasn't read the hall of fame and point them to it.
Goodbye.
Black hydra
The Warlord

Post by Black hydra »

Won't work. I hang around the P&M board alot and I honestly don't think "What color scheme should I use?" warrants a sticky despite being posted about twice a day. Especially since topics like that are posted regularly despite being completely useless and difficult to have an intellegent discussion about...
There once was a High Elf named Bill
He went out and fought with all his will
Along came the hydra
and fried Bill with fire
And that was the end of poor Bill.
----
Try out the Warlord at http://www.druchii.net/tbf/Warlord_v1.00.zip
Gibious
Highborn

Post by Gibious »

how about coming down hard on the people who cant be botherd to search for somithing that is posted 78 times a month

that way you can unblock the forums of all of this trash and everyone will use the search to find the posts they need

you can even help the people that makes mistakes and ask them to pm u if they are having trouble finding the post
...Well thats the end of my post
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Gibious, we mods try to do that as much as possible. If they bring up something that has been discussed before, we often post a link to that thread and lock theirs.

- Nag
Vorchild
Master of the Red Legion
Master of the Red Legion

Post by Vorchild »

Keep in mind though that the search function doesn't work for everyone, myself included, for whatever strange reason. :? But as Nagathi said, we do try to limit the reposting, and when we do, we try to leave a link behind to the old thread. :)
_
The storm is coming...
Are you ready?
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

erm... this kinda links to my 'threads' post/thread but couldn't they be moved to another 'area' like a search data base, and then a small colum down the side of the page like a menu saying the things that keep comming up and with a hyperlink to the 'area'...
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

Mr PieChee wrote:erm... this kinda links to my 'threads' post/thread but couldn't they be moved to another 'area' like a search data base, and then a small colum down the side of the page like a menu saying the things that keep comming up and with a hyperlink to the 'area'...

1. Try the serach (under the drop-down menu called "Forums"
2. See the Hall of Fame forum

- Nag
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

yeh but i mean move the other posts from the forum (and i accually didn't know what was in the hall so thanks...) and peeps (like me) that don't know whats there or weather what they r posting has already been put u, will just post again... there should b some way of looking quickly... so a small coloum down the side (like i sad above) to tell and giv a link to the thread....

and now from the post above... the 'area' would b the hall of fame..
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

So you want all forums to have as few threads as possible? Why is that? New members would be too afraid to post in such a tread, and they would probably get stuck in the midst of a discussion about some other aspect of the same topic. It is better to create a new topic then to have the same long thread go for 25 pages (as your suggestions seems to be). If the topic is an exact copy of something that was discussed not long ago, a mod will fix it for you.

- Nag
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

yeh ui c where this is coming from, but if its already been discused y would it hav to be 25 pages.... and its just the 1000+ threads that i think is more of a 'problem than 25 pages of posts. don't u think that would put people off more??

for me post if theres more than about 10 i don't read them... i read the first few and then the last few.....
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

the main prob with having large threads is that noone reads them. they read the first few and the last few. and all the posts in the middle gets ignored. which means the same thing will be said over and over in the same thread. we seen it several times before
Nagathi
The Exiled One

Post by Nagathi »

No one is forcing you to read all 1000+ threads we have in a forum. If you want to read about tactics for Dark Riders, make a search. If you want to know why some people don't like netspeak, search for that (and write Sneaky as an autor, you'll get this: http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p= ... eak#236611 )
The serach works. Use it.

- Nag