Need help with a Chaos list

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Need help with a Chaos list

Post by Sexy druchii »

Well, okay, since 7th ed came out, my old chaos list sucks now, so I need a new one, but dont have a clue where to start. I use Khorne, and I have a Khorne Lord as a general, either on Demonic Steed or on foot. I have an Exalted Demon, usually undivided, and then an aspiring/exalted champ. I need a Hellcannon in my list, since its the main part of my army, its the attention grabber.

I have 32 chaos warrs, and 20 Marauders, but I want to add more Marauders, so I might go buy 20-40 more. I have 10 Warhounds, and I am going to buy some marauder horsemen so I can convert them. I have 5 knights, a Hellcannon, 20 Furies, and a Chariot. I was gonna convert 5 models into screamers, but I didnt know how that would fit into a Khorne army.

So can anyone help me set up a 2000pt list?

ty,

--SD--
Furiouscado
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Furiouscado »

Why don't you put up one of your lists and tell us what you're trying to do with it. Also, how you typically like to play. That will help people respond as opposed to asking someone to put up a list on their own. :)
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Well, I just need general ideas, since as of now I dont have a list that complies with 7th ed. Keep in mind ive been gone for a year, so any list I have is dated, lol.

--SD--
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

MSU works fine for chaos too, i think. why not use 2 times 12 warriors and 2 times 25 maraudeurs for your centre and get one flank with your general and chaos knights (chosen Khorne knights with general can take on almost everything), the other one with your hellcannon and furies to slow down enemies. and some maraudeur horsemen together with another unit of chaos warriors to protect it and take on everything that survives your shooting.also your chaos hounds and chariot would be fine to support the flank with the hellcannon or the centre.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

Well a chaos lord would proablably be a good start. 6 attacks at str5 is always nice but khonre (as you are no doubt aware) beifits greatly from magic weapons. Axe of khorne is nice as is axes of the khorngor. Although being on foot seriously hinders a khorne character though, i am a fan of the fast khorne armies but he can still be made durable i just dont think they are effective on foot. Him and the unit he is with can be to easily ignored or trapped.

I would try and worm in the undivided daemon as well. Ever useful as war machine hunters and small unit destroyers. It will also make it easier (fluff wise ) to include furies now you have another undivided element. On this note i would take a 6-7 furies. Khorne can suffer badly form shooting so having two units with war machine and shooty unit destruction capability is always a good thing. They can even take out mages if you need to.

Depending on how much the above heros come to i would consider a BSB. Everusfull and actually dangerous compared yo alot of armies BSBs most definatly worht the point sif you cna squeeze it in there.

Your core i cant really comment on until i nknow what type of play you like. Do you want a fast list or and more infantry based list? Until i know this i cant really comment on the rest of your list.

Also just because your lists are old does not make thme obsolete. Im still using a HE list i wrote at the start-mid of 6th ed and it does fairly well. THough the newer armies kick it in nearly every time.
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Thanks for the comments, they're helping me out. Im thinking of going mainly infantry, with cav support.

Are things like Khorngor and Bloodletters worth their points to field on the battlefield, or is it better to take more marauders or warriors? I just played a 2500pt game with a possible start for my army, and the General had Spelleater Shield and Axe of Khorne. 6 S6 KB attacks a turn turned out to be worth it, and the fact when he's placed in a unit that soakes up magic attacks (19 chosen w/shields), being able to destroy that magic was indespensible.

Ill try to make a list and post it up soon, thanks for your replies.

--SD--
Denthor
Assassin

Post by Denthor »

Khorne can get some very nasty/nice combintions due to there high number high power attacks :twisted: I think your lord has a good set up is there any chance you could expand on the spell eater shield i have never actually seed it played how well did it work for you etc?

If you are going mainly infantry i would suggest going with a bsb as your army will be more cc orientated as aposed to manouvrable(spelling?). Korngor are fairly good, i would only take them over wariors to have a slightly faster unit as a more of flank threater kinda thing. This may help with support of your slower mortal units. Bloodletter i think are down to personnal choice although i am not a fan. I find daemons (as units) on the whole to unreliable these days :(.

Are you taking any chaos knights?
The Plague of Nurgle Is Here Resistance Is Futile
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

i like the "ordinary" chaos warriors, try to get as many as possible. also i would recommend to take spawns, either they soak up fire (job done!!!) or they get really annoying in hth combat (guess what: job done!!!)

i would always take some chaos knights, especially chosen ones, imo the (most expensive :(...) best heavy cavalry in the game
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

what kind of a list? All commers? tourney?

In general chaos footsloggers (apart from beasts) are not worth it in tourneys. There you need lost of cav with hounds as diverters/screeners.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

agree with linda lobsta defenda, normally you get outmaneuvered too easyly with a just-on-foot army, you need some stuff to hunt down warmachines and personally i am a great fan of chaos hounds: 30pts for 5 of them, just great, and they´re good in hth combat too!!!
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

@Denthor: Spelleater shield worked good, because I was playing against a magic heavy army, and he concentrated his magic on my 19 chosen warrs with the lord. Almost all of his spells were dispeled, and most were destroyed thanks to good dice.

@Lord of the End Times: Yeah, Im thinking of one unit of knights, never have they failed me, even though some other units have, Knights have always brought back their points for me, so they are way worth it.

@Linda: I was thinking tourney list, but yeah, footsloggers dont do too well in a tourney. On the other hand, footsloggers goes into the theme of my army more so than cavalry, and I will have to do a LOT of converted horses if I want a cavalry force.

Are chariots worth their points? Ive only ever used one, and it waay made up for itself, but I dont know if they're that reliable all the time. The one I used charged into a unit of 9 Knights w/general, and killed 6 on the charge, and the rest the next 2 turns, all in all giving me 300+ points from the kills. Are they worth it? And what about Marauder Cavalry? Ive never even tried using them.

Ty for the comments,

--SD--
Linda lobsta defenda
Witch Elf
Witch Elf

Post by Linda lobsta defenda »

Chariots can be good or bad depending on what you have in the rest of the army and what you face. Against gunline empire they usually become matchwood fast
Dezmord
Warrior

Post by Dezmord »

In my experience chaos chariots are always worth their points (considering you don't give them the mark of slaanesh or nurgle). With the high strength of the horses and the halberds of the warriors driving it, the chaos chariot is the only chariot that can even fight pretty good in prolonged combats.
...denn auf Schatten folgt nicht immer Licht
Sexy druchii
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sexy druchii »

Yeah, I realized that after it killed all the knights in the opposing formation. There was a giant block of combat, and these 10 knights rear charged my 11 warrs w/halberds w/aspiring champ. Even though the warriors were able to hold their ground, the only thing that let them surive was a flank charge into those knights from the charot, killing 6 on the charge with another 3 the next 2 turns.

--SD--