Gav is leaving GW

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Loran
Destroyer of Worlds
Location: Finland, the country people always think has penguins and polar bears walking in the streets...

Post by Loran »

Yeah, I hope that all of his current projects have been finished. Sure, as mainly a Dark Elf player, I wish the DE have been finished, but actually, any project he's been working on should be finished before quitting.

Still, it's sad to see him go. I also remember all the people bashing Gav for some choices in the revisions, but most of them weren't all his fault... It's the same as when Andy left GW. Something that you've learned to "rely" on disappears.

- Loran
<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Heh
Noble
Location: TRYING to finish painting all the minis that I have....

Post by Heh »

I am quite saddened to hear this news. I believe Gav writes pretty balanced lists, it juz that the other armies are a little too competitive in comparision. It's all a qn of relativity. And besides he writes pretty good background fluff (with the notable exception of the SoC ending. that seemed like a rush job, if u ask me). All in all, I think he's a nice guy and I truly think it's GW's and our loss that he's leaving.

Good luck Gav.
Kefka
Malekith's Best Friend
Location: That's for you to know and me to find out! Do I get a hint?

Post by Kefka »

Wait, wasn't one of Gavs projects the Malekith novel?
http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp ... &type=Book
That's not due until the begining of next year. When is he planning on leaving?

Fiat Obsidian - WS5 / S5 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Halberd, Zukhil Shield, Bastard Sword, Heavy Armour, Seadragon Cloak, Helmet of Slaanesh, Blackthorn Dagger
Mount: Locke (dark steed)
Gold: 488
Skills: Supernatural Awareness, Defensive Fighting, Intimidate, Drukh Kaganth (1)
Class: Warrior
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Hmm, thats a surprise. if not entirely bad. If they now hire Andy Chambers back then there is still hope for GW :)
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

bikeninja wrote:Wait, wasn't one of Gavs projects the Malekith novel?
http://www.blacklibrary.com/product.asp ... &type=Book
That's not due until the begining of next year. When is he planning on leaving?

He can still finish the novel for BL, as it is seperate from GW in most regards.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I would certainly like to know why he's leaving. If it's because he's got a better offer, then more power to him. But if his better offer is better in his mind because he's lost confidence in GW then that's a bad look out for them, and for all of us.

So I would like to pose a question : what will we do if GW goes down the toilet?

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Lord tareq
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Lord tareq »

Arnold Layne wrote:So I would like to pose a question : what will we do if GW goes down the toilet?

Layne.

Well that won't happen, as GW still makes profit. Should GW ever fall apart, I'm sure there will be plenty of other companies to fill the niche, Warmachine is already very popular and I'm certain there are other companies such as Mongoose Publishing that would be quick to establish themselves on previous GW domain.

That said, even if GW goes down that doesn't mean our armybooks magically turn to dus while our miniatures melt. Only downside is that there will be no more new miniatures/rule updates, and eventually the current mini's will go out of stock. Upside is we'll all become fabulously rich with all the money we suddenly keep in our pockets :twisted:
Now it's been ten thousand years. Man has cried a billion tears.
For what he never knew, now man's reign is through.

But through eternal night. The twinkling of starlight.
So very far away. Maybe it's only yesterday.
Saithis
Highborn

Post by Saithis »

well Gav obviously was willing to talk to people and make some changes, or fixes like erratas - but these things were done in the old times, as well. so it's something like customer service, not more not less.

when i see the books gav laid his hand on he showed his non existing feeling for rules. probably he is a nice guy who tried to give his best, but i don't think he is not replaceable... :roll:
At last, we will have revenge...
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

I think that if GW fell apart i would still play GW games just i would have to buy as much as i could as fast as i could before it was all on E-bay. Theres still the cult of slaanesh to finish. But anyway I don't like the other games out there and it isn't because of rules or minis, I just really like big armies with monsters and magical violence or tanks that going up against giant bugs and the like. So really until another game offers that if GW went under it would probly end up better for my wallet, my local comic store and neutral grounds in the city.

So there is as much positive to gave leaving as negative in my mind at least.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Krupp
Executioner

Post by Krupp »

Gav leaves GW, 10,000 Nerds cry out in pain.

!lol! I read that on a warseer post and thought it deserved a repeat.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Depends where he goes next : suppose he goes to Blizzard and becomes the maincheese for their new miniatures game? He's been a GW Dev for a long time, second at best to Jes Goodwin... perhaps he just wants to be the bloke in charge for once? Perhaps after poofteen GW armybooks/codices he just doesn't want to look at one ever again?

From the looks of what Blizzard are doing, i.e. a D&D like game, if he goes there he won't be making army books, more likely he'll be making character profiles and rule tweaks, basically just spending all his time playtesting, answering questions and making little announcements. Which would appear to be what he likes best. And if they can get him, they'll give him their biggest hat for sure.

In any case, GW still have some good Devs, who pretty much work all together all the time, so really all that's missing is Gav's personal input. And who can say what difference that would make?

Layne.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Gustav
Dark Rider

Post by Gustav »

quite a shocker i mean can remember reading white dwarfs whne i first started and reading Gavs columns quite a shame, what ever any one says i will miss him he did add tons of passion into his qork quite a shame.

is it confirmed about Alessio?

if so two big blows to gw not matter what you think of their work.
Venkh
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Venkh »

End of an era, and it was a good one too.

There things I liked about his work and there were things that i diddnt, the problem is that you can never understand what is going on in organisation from the outside.

The fact that he posted here and in a couple of other places tells me that it was more than just a job for him and that he was prepared to go the extra mile for the gamers.

Wish him all the best
Darmort
The Bane Of Gavin Thrope

Post by Darmort »

Not sure if this has been mentioned here yet, because I haven't seen it, but on Page 6 of the Warseer topic someone said that it was because Gav wanted to spend more time writting, so he voluntarilly left.

While I haven't liked everything Gav has done, he has influenced Games Workshop for longer than I've been playing (A good 10 years now...), and he did some great stuff and some not so great stuff, but at heart he's always been one to think of the gamers first and has always tried to make the game as fun as possible. I'm sure we'll all miss him once he's gone, whether we want to or not.

Rust In Peace,
Darmort
Back From Druchii Hiatus
Eöl
Dark Rider

Post by Eöl »

Games developers are not exactly well paid. I suspect that Mr Thorpe is merely moving to a higher paid job somewhere, probably following Mr Chambers and Mr Pirinen into the computer industry.
Forge Games - WARMACHINE, HORDES & Anima: Tactics

'But now the trees of Nan Elmoth were the tallest and darkest in all Beleriand, and there the sun never came; and there Eöl dwelt, who was named the Dark Elf'
Darmort
The Bane Of Gavin Thrope

Post by Darmort »

75hastings69 on Warseer wrote:If I am correctly informed Gav has left at his own request to pursue his desire to be an independant author, and I for one wish him all the best (maybe his first book could be a rewrite of the climax of SoC !! - Just kidding!).

There we go... for all you people who can't be bothered to search for it. :)

As to Alessio quitting? I doubt it. Alessio'll probably be here for a good few years yet. I hope, otherwise GW could be in a spot of bother for a while...
Back From Druchii Hiatus
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I was like "Noooo" when I heard Gav was leaving, mainly because he was working on our army, though I still wish him all the best and that he makes one hell of a good book. :)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Loved his fiction, liked the concept of the armies he wrote. (His execution of those concepts was not always great.) I am also a huge fan of the direction the 7th ed books have been going so I will be sad to see him go just because there is now doubt that future books will head in the same direction.
Bad beast
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Bad beast »

my guess is it's likely the same thing that happened with Andy Chambers, IE, he did not want to leave, but it's hard to say no when they drive a dump truck full of money up to the door

(that was a quote from Mr Chambers, not me)
Fr0 wrote: The evil Dr. Henry McCoy as usual, has a firm grasp on the rule.