Terrain

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Mazrim taim
Trainee Warrior

Terrain

Post by Mazrim taim »

I've never been in a tournament before, mostly i play a few of the same opponents (WoC, Dwarfs, WE, DoC once)
So how many pieces of terrain do people use on average for a 2000 pt game?
"The end is near. The Wheel has groaned its final rotation, the clock has lost its spring, the serpent heaves its final gasps. He must know pain of heart. He must know frustration, and he must know anguish. Bring these to him, and you will be rewarded."
Maldor
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Maldor »

It will vary depending on the tournament. Most that I've seen will have boards set up ahead of time that players will be assigned to. Others will randomly generate terrain by dividing the board into either quarters or sixths (depending on the size of the feature) and scatter the terrain features.
Lock up your children, shut all windows tight.
The Witch Elves are hunting for victims tonight.
When old hags do knock at your door, you must hide,
Your death is the gift sought by Khaine's pretty brides.
Bounce
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Bounce »

Most of the ones I have been to will have 4-6.
Usually forests or hills, occasionally a building or pond.

Some tournaments have lots of small very nicely modelled scenery which isn't really playable and just becomes impassable. Things like Stepped Temples or giant rock spires.
"I will embrace death without regret as I embrace life without fear"
ImageImageImage
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

First let me say as a regular of local tournies, grats on going to your first one. If done right they are blast and its a chance for you to meet folks you don't play against on a regular basis. Having said that here are a few "truths" I have learned at tournies.
1 assume terrain is fixed unless told other wise. Even if its placed within 12 of the middle of the board.
2 assume that forest for the purpose of shooting are infinite high.
3 assume that hills for the purpose of shooting are infinite high.
4 do no confuse 2 for the purpose of flyers flying over forest in context of flying movement. IE it blocks line of sight, does not make it a no fly zone.
5 ask your opponent what you want to call each piece of terrain.
Can't tell you how many times I assumed a ruin would block line of sight and he thought it was just half movement.

Good luck and enjoy yourself. That is the most vital rule have fun.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii