New Warhammer edition in July

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Ebonyphoenix
Noble

New Warhammer edition in July

Post by Ebonyphoenix »

Per GW's site: http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/blogPost.jsp?aId=10100030a

So, the discussion over release date should be over, and we just need to worry about the contents at this point.
"Do Not Meddle In The Affairs Of Dragons, For You Are Crunchy And Taste Good With Ketchup"

My motto: Whether I win, lose, or draw the game; I win as long as my opponent has pulled their hair out by the end of the game. :twisted:

Honoring Khaine since March 2003.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Last edited by Calisson on Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:34 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Laina
Trainee Warrior

Post by Laina »

+1 Brilliant. Straight after last exams too!
Leduwob
Warrior

Post by Leduwob »

Laina wrote:+1 Brilliant. Straight after last exams too!

:D
Drek
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Drek »

Glad there's a release date. I read over on WarSeer that the new book will be 500+ pages, though. Which means toting 400+ pages of non-rules around. Looks like I'm waiting for the box set. Again.

And that trailer is awful. Absolutely awful. I work in film, and seriously? Just a bunch of stills with cheesy dramatic classical music? You couldn't even put someone in there talking? It's a disgrace.
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

And that trailer is awful. Absolutely awful. I work in film, and seriously? Just a bunch of stills with cheesy dramatic classical music? You couldn't even put someone in there talking? It's a disgrace.

I didn't mind the fact it was stills (it would be hard to animate the figures I guess), it was the fact they kept moving so quickly that I couldn't really focus on what the pictures were and it made me feel kinda sea sick.

That castle set up looked pretty awesome though :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

have people decided what the new starter set will contain? I think July is the time to start a new army so I can nab the LRB just need to find a mate who'll also buy it so we can swap the minis.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

I personally am very worried about this edition. After 5th ed for 40k ruined my rendition of the game i really hope GW doesn't do the same with WhFB
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Bies
Noble

Post by Bies »

sassmaw wrote:I personally am very worried about this edition. After 5th ed for 40k ruined my rendition of the game i really hope GW doesn't do the same with WhFB

it's only a major worry if you're a tourney player. If a regular sit and go you can always use 5th/6th/7th

some of the rumours i've been hearing are a cause for praise and a cause for concern. It will be interesting to see what they produce but imo like always an Errata / FAQ will be almost instantly needed.
Not another 1...
W/D/L for 2010
40/7/18
Geist
Noble

Post by Geist »

I said it on my local forum AMM, and I will say it here. This edition makes me nervous. Very nervous. I would hate to see the combat system of we fight till one side breaks and run. I would also truly hate to see % brought back into the system. July comes soon, may the dark father watch over us during this time.
Flyers for the win in 8th.

DEATH FROM ABOVE DRUCIH AIR CAV!!!!

The Machine will grind you down.

The League of Extraordinary Druchii
Laina
Trainee Warrior

Post by Laina »

Does anyone know how long it usually takes for the 'starter' set to be released after the rulebook? Or how long it was after 6th and 7th? Thanks
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

In 7th I believe it was released (nearly) simultaneously, with the first army of the edition soon after.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

Geist wrote:I would hate to see the combat system of we fight till one side breaks and run.

I think that rumor has been squashed.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Nothing I've seen suggested worries me, so it will just be a matter of buying the book and putting up with morons who haven't read or own this rulebok either.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I doubt that there will be much to worry about because the fundamentals of the game probobly wont change disernably at all. 6th ed was perfectly good and would continue to be perfectly good today, but money is money I guess.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Laina
Trainee Warrior

Post by Laina »

Well 40k did change a lot with the change of last edition... There is still cause to worry!
Dragonblade
Executioner

Post by Dragonblade »

THe thinks that I have read on warseer, dont worry me at all.

Actually I find most of the rumors quit positive: Second rank of archers firing and second rank fighting IF the first cant fight. ( sounds good to me)!!
Pain is a pleasure. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Rabidnid
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Rabidnid »

Laina wrote:Well 40k did change a lot with the change of last edition... There is still cause to worry!

Not really, I quite liked all of the changes in 5th. It was the changes in the nid codex which made half of my army unusable for the 3rd time in 3 codexes that made me sell the army and give up on 40k.
"Luck is the residue of design"
Auere
Noble

Post by Auere »

I am looking much forward to a rules upgrade! I am exited to see how it will affect my dark elves!

Second rank of archers firing

Are you serious though? With this rule I am bound for 2x20 rxb with fc! 80 shots with a small frontage!
Jadin
Black Guard

Post by Jadin »

I think it is just Archers, not Crossbowmen or Handgunners.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Random charge range worries me.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Ant
Lord of the Venom Sword

Post by Ant »

Random charge range worries me.

That's probably the one I like the most. It'll bring a whole new dynamic into the game. Yes it will fundamentally change the game, but IMO in a good way. And I doubt it will 'dumb down' tactics as many people fear. The tactics will just have to be different.

Most of the time I don't see it as an issue: If you've used bait units or redirectors to try to get the charge the random few inches won't matter since you'll be close enough anyway without the randomness. So standard bait and flee tactics will still work just as well as ever.

What it will change is units sitting 1 inch inside their charge range and outside the enemy's, causing units to shuffle backwards until; one player makes a mistake or has no room left. ANd it also makes long fast cav chages at missile units a bit more of a dangerous proposition: they are more likely to be just short and get shot up. So it again encourages more tactical play to get a bit closer before you commit to a charge.

For every situation where you have to commit to a charge which may not make it, there will also be a situation where you can make a charge that gets you out of such a situation where you would be doomed in the current rules.

It also encourages creating a back up plan for if you don't make the charge. And the complexity of organising such things is one of the things which sorts the good players from the bad currently: so it will reward players which can do this effectively more than the current system does. Plus simply having to think about having a rearguard again makes it more realistic and can favour armies which can field more units (ie not deamons...)

IMO it's refreshingly new, more realistic and more tactical. A very good thing on all counts. I hope this one is true.
Ash010110 wrote: I completely agree with Ant (Reynolds, I presume?).

(Please note, I am NOT Anthony Reynolds)
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

I think random charge range will be okay, as long as they do it right.

The current charge rules for models like Scylla (3d6) or Chaos Spawn (2d6) are appaulling because there is so much randomness involved. In Scylla's case, he can go a massive 18", or even as few as 3". It's too random and makes it impossible to develop plans for him. If they go down this route, it will turn the game into a joke, imo.

However, if they manage to make it random but still somewhat predictable, that could be good. For example, if they made it so that in a charge you get to move as normal, then add an extra D6+1" for infantry or 2d6" for cavalry, that could work very well.

You could guarantee that your Black Guard could charge at least 7" (m5+min of 2 from D6+1), but they could in fact charge up to 12" (m5+6+1), depending on what you roll. Similarly, you could guarantee that your cold one knights could charge at least 9" (m7+min of 2 from 2D6), but they could in fact charge up to 19" (m7+12), depending on what you roll.

That would give you enough reliability that you could effectively develop tactics, but not so much that you end up engaging in the current shufflehammer that Ant correctly talks about.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Darthvegeta800
Corsair

Post by Darthvegeta800 »

Laina wrote:Well 40k did change a lot with the change of last edition... There is still cause to worry!

I actually prefer the new 40K edition over the old one.
So this edition will also be in the eye of the beholder.

I haven't played Fantasy yet but from what I heard the intentions seem quite good.
Arquinsiel
Shadowdancer

Post by Arquinsiel »

No it didn't. The last major chance in 40k was 2nd-3rd ed. 5th is basically what 4th should have been. The real problem with 40k as a game is individual Codex releases staggered apart to sell toy mans. Using the Flames of War model the army lists would be balanced and not hideously prone to abuse, but that wouldn't have the top-tier players selling their stuff every three months and starting over.
ImageImageImageImage
faerthurir wrote:Arq kicked me in the gyros.