Nasty Skulkers & Assassins

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Fuzzydeath
Cold One Knight

Nasty Skulkers & Assassins

Post by Fuzzydeath »

Spoiler: No, I'm not posting to whine. I'm in fact rather a fan of the new goblin 'assassin'.

So I saw the writeup for Nasty Skulkers in the new O&G book, and found myself thinking what a great deal they are. Aside from statline, more or less the same thing as our Assassins. With the same life expectancy, for that matter. Only for 1/10th the cost.

ASF and Killing Blow.. what more do you need in an assassin? Everything else is just fat that'll drive up the price on a model that won't live to see the 2nd round of combat anyway. Sure sure, 10 points is going to be far too few for a DE statline over top what would otherwise be a Nasty Skulker.. but still I like that way of thinking for an 'assassin'.

Am I alone here in hoping whenever a new DE book comes out they'll just fully embrace the 'one shot wonder' nature of assassins and adjust them accordingly?
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

as much as i would like to see cheap assassins, they are not one shot wonders - thats just how they play. Typically assassins don't die, they are excellent at their job and they stay alive. It would be nice to see rules that reflect this and a points cost that makes them appear in lists.

Now back to O&Gs. i haven't had a proper look at the book, but everything i've read so far seems to show them as being a really good army now! so much character and flexibility! Nasty skulkers are one of the many funny, yet useful little things that have crept in.
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

A Gob sass has few, unaccurate weak attacks.
3 of them start to become a nuisance, but a single one...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Sulla
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Sulla »

Skulkers are fairly underwhelming. Their initiative is too low to even generate rerolls most of the time, and being characters allows the target character to challenge their way out of the majority of attacks. Their only really good point is that vs DE they have a decent chance of killing the 'unkillable' dreadlord.

I feel for the OP when it comes to our assassins though. They (and combat hags) are fairly worthless under the current rules...
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

I think they're excellent. Overall, you get what you pay for. Their point cost is cheap enough that you're not going to be majorly upset if a character gets into a challenge and avoids the Skulkers at all.

I think Skulkers are pretty representative of goblins as a whole; if you're relying on them to actually kill anything, you're probably going to be disappointed, and you should probably rely on other units if you actually want to win a fight. However, every once in a while their craziness makes a tremendous difference, and either way you haven't spent a lot of points.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.