Which Army Next?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Non sence1
Warrior

Which Army Next?

Post by Non sence1 »

hello everyone, i have been playing warhammer for awhile now and was thinking about starting a second army besides my dark elfs. I am looking for an army that's play style is alot different (if not completely different) than dark elves. I love the way the DE play, i am just looking for a change. Could my fellows here at Druchii.net point me in the right direction? :)
No one is safe from the power of Druchii
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I had the same thought and goal for my second army. I found a few different options.
First lets take a look at what Dark Elves *are*:
Fast,
Elite,
Fragile,
Versatile,
Reliable.

Here's a few armies I was considering:
Dwarves:
Slow,
Elite,
Durable,
Artillery/Defense focused,
Reliable

Greenskins:
Average,
Mediocre,
Average,
Versatile,
Totally unreliable

Vampire Counts:
Average,
Mix of elite and chaff,
Very Durable (come on, you can rebuild units and they never run)
Melee oriented (no ranged power to speak of, Banshees don't count)
Very Reliable (They will never run... it means a lot)

Skaven:
Fast,
Hordes upon hordes of crap (even their elite troops get about even with elven core)
Fragile, though not as much as elves (they have numbers, and pestilen can even be tough)
Versatile,
BOOM! (that should say it all about their reliability)

In the end I picked Skaven. Mostly due to the fact that I can always count on my elves to do what I want them to do and deliver expected results. Skaven are full of random fun and mass destruction.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Hey Dalamar, could you put up comparisons for The Empire and Lizard Men too please?
Rejoice and Revel in the Triumph of the Dark.

Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

After playing DE exclusively for almost two years I have recently started a Khorne themed Warriors of Chaos army. My DE are usually heavy shooting and magic, or a good mix of everything. I wanted something both fluffy and challenging (since it's Khorne themed I have not been using any magic - won... both of my games so far, lol).

I think you need to ask yourself what kind of army you want to field. I chose a Khorne themed WoC army as that was as far from magic heavy/shooting heavy DE as I could imagine. Once you know what kind of army you like (ie combat orientated, fast and agile, monsters and magic, or something just plain ridiculous) then you take a closer look at each armies strengths and weaknesses and make a better decision.
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

I play DE and the more I look at other armies the more i like DE.

Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

DE can be awesome at anything. Except playing the defensive game.

Lizardmen have powerful magic, solid defensive infantry in Saurus and plenty of little annoyances in skinks. But aside from being lizards they aren't actually that much different from Dark Elves.

And the Empire is a melting pot. If it can be done, Empire can do it. They are average and everything but they can also do everything (ok, I count their heavy cavalry above average due to full plate armor)
7th edition army book:

Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

I am thinking about empire or Lizard men, and my friends have these armies, so i can always borrow them to give them a run. I like shooting, but i want tougher warriors too.

Hansleonard
Corsair

Post by Hansleonard »

De was my third army (after Wood Elf and Empire) So now i'm planning to expand to a fourth army. I chos High Elf (To complete my elf set)

So now i have a Shooting heavy WE, A Close Combat oriented DE, a Magic Heavy HE and an all-round Empire.

So i have pretty much what i want. Considering Dwarves, Warriors or something like them to have a very elite based army as well later. But that won't be for at least a year or two..
Tethlis
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Tethlis »

Both Lizardmen and Empire have a fair amount of modeling variety, unit variety, and painting opportunities. Empire can be extensively converted (large plastic range, tons of bitz) and painted in a variety of provincial colors to really create an interesting hobby opportunity.

Lizardmen have less of a range in terms of modeling, but possibly even more variety since you can paint them in a variety of colors, patterns, etc.

For playstyle, shooting is important to both (more important than it is for Dark Elves, by a big margin) and they rely a lot on combined arms to be effective.

It should be noted that Empire can be quite decent in combat as well; they're not just pushovers. A 40-strong halberd horde with warrior priest is a surprisingly hard-hitting Core choice, and a Greatsword horde with Warrior Priest can also be quite threatening.
There is no escape from Chaos. It marks us all.

Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

I think the hardest part about having a new army is getting permission from the wife to spend more money on it.

Chrisunit
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Chrisunit »

Dirty Mac wrote:I think the hardest part about having a new army is getting permission from the wife to spend more money on it.

Quoted for truth....
I find myself spending birthday money on new projects / expanding existing armies.
Besides that we agreed on a small (30 EUR) "allowance" per month.

This is ofcourse fine, since expansions should be done in small amounts anyway, to allow also for time to paint it all.

I just started my second army this way.
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

Lol I was in the same situation a couple of months ago, guess what, I now have a 2400 Dark Eldar Army hahaha! :P Anyway, honestly go Ogres...DE atm is very very competitive and "serious". The new Ogres look hella nice modelwise and they play way different. I am honesty tempted to make one unfortunately that would set me back a year in painting time... :roll: I really love the new models and I never buy anything I don't like looking at on my shelf.
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Handsome jack
Executioner

Post by Handsome jack »

I'd secound the vote for dwarves as your next army their tactics are almost 180 degrees off from DE and it's nice to get the change
handsome jack
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Dwarf Gunline... Druchii can make an effective "gun" (more like crossbow) line too.

I'd aim for something you *can't* do with Dark Elves. Those things are:

Core Heavy Cavalry for entire force mounted on heavy horses
Hordes
Randomness
Artillery (yes, dwarves can do that, but I just don't see dwarves as that far off from elven defensive tactics.. they're just better at it)
7th edition army book:

Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Empire is the most versatile army in the game, allowing you to do hoard, gun line, power, cavalry heavy, war machine heavy, magic heavy, or all infantry.

Their a well ballenced army, who's only real flaw is most of their core units have litte to no armor (standard core armor options) and any weaknessess of certain bulds have by the nature of the game (power armies are expensive, shooty armies tend to suck in CC, the works).

Brettonia is a one trick pony relying on heavy cavalry. Their infantry tend to be support units with halburders and bowmen being top notch. As they have 4 heavy cavalry units, each with their ups and downs (Errent have balls of steel on the charge but have basic imperial foot soldier stats; Realm are standard heavy cavalry; Questing knights fear nothing and have great weapons; Grail knights are a unit of champions).

Not sure about the new ogres, but from what I've heard and skimmed through the book they are a hammer army, meaning they they hit really really hard in close combat. All ogre units cause impact hits, fear, and being monstrous infantry, they have alot of attacks. As a monstrous infantry heavy army, they have a march speed of 12 inches. Also, leadbelchers have gotten better. This all said, they tend to be worth alot of points, lack armor, and will almost always not be the first one to strike first (impact hits aside).

Warriors of Chaos is another power army, and one that is scary good. Get a unit or two of 15 warriors of chaos, and take a chariot of what ever to make a warshrine (Corpse cart for nurgle, a chaos chariot for most of them, maybe high elf chariot for Slannesh, and so forth). Everything else is cheddar. The problems they face is the price tag they have and a complete lack of range weapons save for some thrown weapons, a monster that think's it's a cannon, and some of the best wizzards in the game.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Dirty Mac
Assassin

Post by Dirty Mac »

Dwarves look good too Yeah, i am just really stuck for choices. it's so hard, luckily my friends basically have all the armies, so they'll let me borrow one to see if i like them.

Dr. cheesesteak
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dr. cheesesteak »

I was in the same situation, too, as I recently just started WFB a few months ago. I picked Dwarfs at first, as they are hands down my favorite race of almost any fantasy setting.

However, I'm a big fan of variety (it is the spice of life, after all). So I had to come up w/ a formula to pick my 2nd army. What is perhaps the most opposite of Dwarfs? I ended up picking DE as they appear to fit the bill best - faster, sleeker/feminine/graceful, heavy magic, Destruction-sided, etc.

So OP, all I could recommend is think of something that'll give you variety. Either in looks, gameplay tactics, fluff, anything!
Drachau
Warrior

Post by Drachau »

I personally had a hard time choosing a new army. there are so many armies played in our local gw that i found it hard to bring something new and fresh.... first i wanted tomb kings as i like the old eqyptian culture but decided apart from the necrosphinx and necropolis knights it wasnt my thing. then came up WoC and i made a army list. i really liked it but i mist some change in models.
now i decided that when bretonnia comes out again ill have a go at that and make a crusader army with al red and black cristian crosses ^^ i love that theme and now i am waiting for them to be releashed again :)
Ichiyo1821
Highborn

Post by Ichiyo1821 »

OGRES!!!!Shrek themed OGRES!!!!! :roll:
8th Edition

W/D/L
86/1/5

New AB
W/D/L
32/1/0

9th Age
W/D/L

Vae Victis
Character kill count -182

"To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill."

Armies
Dark Elves
Dark Eldar
Death Korps of Kreig
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

My next army would be Ogres. The new models look awesome, and the new book gave them a boost:)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Dante valentine
Cold One Knight

Post by Dante valentine »

Tomb Kings all the way!

The monsters are cool, loads of archers and dozens of chariots in big units that roll across EVERYTHING in their way!

Seriously though. It also depends on what you really want from the game? If you pick something like Skaven or TK's its going to be years until you get a new book so you have to be happy with it. VC's are probably due for a big shake up soon (as is Brettonia, hopefully!) so?

Or, just keep buying Dark Elves! Hundred of them so that you can invade Ulthuan on your own!

D
Doug
Warrior

Post by Doug »

Ogres I bought a box set back in seventh ed. put them together, base coated them and there they sit. Yep it's the Ogre life for me :D
Douglas
Non sence1
Warrior

Post by Non sence1 »

Or, just keep buying Dark Elves! Hundred of them so that you can invade Ulthuan on your own!

i think that is my plan for now, im going to wait it out and see what the next army book releases bring. And in the mean time expand on the forces of the durchii and see how many more of those pesky high elves i can rid from my presence :)
No one is safe from the power of Druchii