Starting over, with or without starter kit?

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Starting over, with or without starter kit?

Post by Daeron »

Hey everyone,

I'm getting back in the game, and the first step is re-reading the rules. In here lies the first, commonly asked, choice. Do I start with the starter box, or buy the hardback rulebook?

I have enough models to begin a DE army, the dice, the rulers so I'm not reliant on the starter box to actually get started. I'm not sure I want to get started with High Elves, and I'm not interested in Skaven.

However, in my 5th and 6th experience... I had the hardback book and always felt the "pocket" version of the starter kit to be more practical than the big hardback rulebook. Because of this... I'm mixed.

It feels like the pocket version is a more practical book to drag along when playing battles, and the bonus models aren't a bad deal. But big book would be less of a hassle and cheaper, but more weight to carry around.

What would you recommend?

Daeron
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Sim2k
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sim2k »

Our local store is not an official Games Workshop and a couple of my friends bought the starter kit and then traded in the miniatures for a bit of store credit as they had decided on Ogres and Vampire Counts. If you have a local store that would do that maybe you could get the kit and then put the miniatures towards some paints or some more elves or something? The big book is super bulky.
Kairon of the Coiled Mist (Group 36 - warrior)

Stats: WS4 S4 T3 D3 I4
Equipment: Light Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Bastard Sword
Skills: None

I Love Daisy
Slyde
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Slyde »

Its a common question I often hear down at my local GW. Myself? I had no use for the models, rulers, templates in the starter so I opted for the book. Sure its clunky and the like, but it does have some extras in there that the pocket doesn't have.

Lore section, yes I know unnecessary but always good for a read or just give yourself ideas on the enemies we pillage if your into writing background fluff for your army (such as myself).

The hobby section has some interesting campaign things if your into campaign creation and play (such as myself).

So really for me it was getting the rules and some extras and saving some bucks.

Another option that didn't come to me at the time but would have been nice is, if you don't need the models/templates/etc. and just want the book. Sell them off to buddies who do need them. Not only do you get the pocket book but you can also recap some of the money spent on the starter thus making your rulebook "cheaper" in a way.

Ultimately the choice is up to you but there's some options to help you consider your decision.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I doubt trading the miniatures would be a good option, seeing I have only 1 friend with a high elf army... and he has enough models to suit his purposes :)

But the campaign and lore part.. that I had somewhat forgotten about. Although it may not be crucial at this point yet, they might serve me indeed in the future.

I think I might just go for the rulebook then.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Re: Starting over, with or without starter kit?

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Daeron wrote:I'm getting back in the game, and the first step is re-reading the rules. In here lies the first, commonly asked, choice. Do I start with the starter box, or buy the hardback rulebook?

Neither.

Since you don't want the models in the box, save money by going ontp eBay and buy a copy of the soft-cover rulebook that comes in the boxed set.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I might consider that... but I rarely ever bought something on e-Bay. How reliable is the quality of the products there? :)

- The stiff breeze
Thanee
Rending Star
Rending Star

Post by Thanee »

The small rulebook is pretty cool.

If you are worried about buying it off ebay you can also take the different route and buy the box and sell everything but the rulebook on ebay. ;)

Bye
Thanee
Dyvim tvar
Lord of the Dragon Caves
Lord of the Dragon Caves

Post by Dyvim tvar »

Daeron wrote:I might consider that... but I rarely ever bought something on e-Bay. How reliable is the quality of the products there? :)

Pay attention to the rating of the seller and look at the pictures and description of the item (is it new, used, etc.). eBay has strong buyer protections, so you can get your money back if the seller gives you a torn up book when the description said it was pristine.
Truly These are the End Times ...
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Whatever you do, don't buy the Collector's Edition. I got one, and it's impossible to carry anywhere :(

Ebay is fairly reliable, particularly when purchasing from ebay shops rather than individual sellers (although they're mostly fine too). The unreliable element of ebay doesn't really come from the merchants themselves, but instead the postal system, and you're going to encounter that regardless of whether you buy via ebay or through any other mail order company...
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Sedge
Trainee Warrior

Post by Sedge »

The binding of the small rule book is flimsy - I've had mine less than a couple of months, and it's already held together with sellotape (and I know it's not just me that's had this problem). The size is much more convenient, but be aware you'll need to make running repairs to it.
Slyde
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Slyde »

Sedge is right, I know a couple of my friends small books already have pages falling out. But its pretty standard with a small binding to have that sort of wear and tear happen.
Flash29
Assassin

Post by Flash29 »

then again, the big rulebook is heavy and klunky, it had the stupid idea of a dubble page which damages easily, its annoying and takes up space on the table. and mine has actually seen so much play that the front cover and the back have worn to a point that they are no longer attached. glueing a few pages in is easier the a hardbook cover.

but theres a lot of cool fluff and scenario's in there, although their battle reports arn't completely correct,( thunderstomping on a plague furnace, ow gw :roll: )