Nagash

For discussion about all the lesser races of Warhammer. Talk about armies, tactics and lists to take on the Druchii here...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Khaleth Blackheart
Would-be Seerlord or Quack doctor

Re: Nagash

Post by Khaleth Blackheart »

Good to see some changes that should shake everything up.
Will make some space for some new special characters, and plot lines.
Haagrum wrote:Naggaroth attacked by a "huge Khornate army"

Best get some extra chaff then for all those frenzy tests ;)
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Dalamar wrote:
Pretty much that. All the rules I'm interested in are on the deck of cards. It's $8. I can pay that.

The rest of the "rules" I will need to see first. No interest whatsoever in the cannon bait characters.

How did getting those cards work out for you Dalamar? ;) They were sold out before Game Store owners could even place their orders. I guess we have to wait until they turn up on Ebay for $50 a deck. That limited run printing of spell cards has to be one of the stupidest marketing decisions GW has ever made. I can understand limited edition special collector books. But there is no collection value to the card from a collector's point of view. They are gaming aids. So nice of GW to say "We don't want to make more money on our gaming aids."

As to the rules, I don't see anybody (Tournament Organizers, the ETC Ruling Council, or even your mates) allowing that book. It belongs in the category of Storm of Magic or Triumph and Treachery. In other words, an alternate way to play Warhammer. If GW thinks we're going to go for 50% Lords and the ability to summon in and thereby add 20-50% more to your point allotment they are nuts! :o_O:
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Owner of my LFGS placed an order for me no problem. Just waiting for delivery... which I'm not even following when that haopens. This coming Saturday?
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Taijushue
Cold One Knight

Post by Taijushue »

I never understood the spell cards being in such demand, isn't it easier to make your own for the cost of Ink and Paper? Or do GW tournaments not allow them because they aren't GW products?
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Taijushue wrote:I never understood the spell cards being in such demand, isn't it easier to make your own for the cost of Ink and Paper? Or do GW tournaments not allow them because they aren't GW products?

D-bag opponents could refuse to recognize the text on them because they aren't official, but my response would be to not play said opponents.
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

You can have cheap looking cards printed out yourself, or you can have cool shiny cards.

I like cool shiny cards, I don't have the capabilities for quality printing.
7th edition army book:

Khaleth Blackheart

Dalamar wrote:You can have cheap looking cards printed out yourself, or you can have cool shiny cards.

I like cool shiny cards, I don't have the capabilities for quality printing.

Exactly, it just sucks they make them limited :(
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I agree... creating game accessories is great! Making them limited print after that is just crap.
7th edition army book:

T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

Pope of Evil:

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
Gidean
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Gidean »

Well the High Elf lover in me is pissed that Tyrion had to lose his little girl to bring this bastard back. The gamer in me is fretful that my friends will quit playing if GW makes 50% lords official. :|
CitizenKhaine
Beastmaster

Post by CitizenKhaine »

From Bell of Lost Souls
Have some more "rumours" in regard to the end times campaign coming, as usual take them as you will.

Along with Nagash and the vampire releases I mentioned earlier there will also be new release models for tomb kings, skaven, chaos and dark elves.

Thanquol and bone ripper will be getting there own new models along with a new plastic vermin lord. There will also be new fantasy terrain.

There will be a new Nagash model.

I like the sound of that and check out the leaked new model photos on the page http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48015-Nagash-Returns-amp-Nurgle-Gets-some-Love!
You're one microscopic cog in his catastrophic plan - Designed and directed by his red right hand - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds (channeling Khaine)

Visit the Citizens of Khaine http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75270
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

Gidean wrote:Well the High Elf lover in me is pissed that Tyrion had to lose his little girl to bring this bastard back.

This sounds like a confession Gidean.

Let it all out !lol! It's the End Times after all.

The Sword of Khaine is soon to be pulled from its millenial resting place, and you might be able to evade our Assassins in the havoc that follows....
Haagrum
PhD in Dark Magic

Post by Haagrum »

Gidean wrote:Well the High Elf lover in me is pissed that Tyrion had to lose his little girl to bring this bastard back.

If the comments in the Dwarf army book is any indication, Tyrion has much worse in front of him than losing the Phoenix King's daughter.

Of course, if he truly becomes Aenarion reborn, then Morathi will be taking even greater interest in him.
"The wrath of a good man is not to be feared. They have too many rules."

"Good men don't need rules. Today is not a good time to find out why I have so many."
Khaleth Blackheart

It seems heroes are being made to 50% aswell now.
So minimum core and whole *flocks* of dark pegasi riding heroes and lords. ;)

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-gq6MXArFdZ8/U ... 2Bfoto.JPG

* I assume a a group of pegasi is a flock ;)
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Just keep in mind the 50% lords/heroes is currently for end times games only and there is no indication that it will transfer to 9th edition.
7th edition army book:

Khaleth Blackheart

Dalamar wrote:Just keep in mind the 50% lords/heroes is currently for end times games only and there is no indication that it will transfer to 9th edition.

Hopefully it doesn't, but it will make some epic builds viable in the mean time.
Twin manticore masters at 1000pts could be very entertaining :twisted:
Jolemai
Executioner

Post by Jolemai »

Is a double Dragonlord (or double Dragonsorceress) build feasible now?
Liquidedust
Highborn

Post by Liquidedust »

Dalamar wrote:Owner of my LFGS placed an order for me no problem. Just waiting for delivery... which I'm not even following when that haopens. This coming Saturday?

My local LFGS couldn't even place orders, cards were sold out before he got the chance. Also couldn't grab any myself o the website before they were sold out, while I had them in my basket they became sold out on the website and couldn't finalize the order (took something like 30 minutes before they went up to they were out of stock).

My Hobby Thread

Stats since I started playing again in 2013
W/L/D
Total: 16/21/1
vs. Demons: 0/2/0
vs. Dwarfs: 1/2/0
vs. Empire: 2/4/0
vs. High Elves: 0/4/0
vs. Lizardmen: 3/0/0
vs. Orcs & Goblins: 3/0/1
vs. Ogres: 1/0/0
vs. Skaven: 4/4/0
vs. Tomb Kings: 0/1/0
vs. Warriors of Chaos: 0/3/0
vs. Wood Elves: 2/1/0
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I got them pre-ordered before they were on sale on the website. Maybe my lfgs has some sort of a deal with his supplier. I dunno.
7th edition army book:

Cynath ch'ill
Noble

Post by Cynath ch'ill »

There's some disturbing news over the direction gw management are taking the fantasy universe to;

Originally Posted by cazzz669
So, just got off the horn with a contact at GW who apparently has just come out of a briefing regarding the future of WHF
in May 2015 after the End of Times WHF will become a skirmish game centered around surviving warbands after the "armegeddon" of the fantasy world as a result of the End of Times.
Chaos decimate the Empire
Nagash and co decimate Brettonia
Ulthuan sinks
there will be less army books than currently ( no idea if this means imalgimation armies )

appreciate I do not post very often so will doubtless recieve a whole load of flame for this post BUT given i literally just got told it, thought some people here would appreciate me sharing..
Personally I hope to god this is all incorrect

End quote

We don't know what is meant by war bands - this could simply mean instead of a clash of nations, individual war bands are in it for themselves. Although I'd argue the current world can support the latter already. But a skirmish game? Perhaps this is just an addition to the core rules?

Oh and Ulthan getting sunk? Que evil druchii laughter!
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

If they turn it into a skirimish game I will publish my own alternative ruleset :evil:
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

T.D. wrote:If they turn it into a skirimish game I will publish my own alternative ruleset :evil:

I'll help, I'm a very good proofreader too :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne

Post by T.D. »

@ Direweasel

Which of us will be taking the calls from GW's lawyers? :mrgreen: !lol!

@ Everyone

A good post from Warseer poster olderplayer in response to the post Cynath has informed us about earlier:

I think what happens is a bit like the old game of telephone where one person tells one person something and that person tells the next person and so on. After the chain is repeated enough half the original message is lost or distorted in translation. There were some credible sources of information quite a while ago that suggested that GW was concerned about the entry point into WHFB and interested in creating more of a warbands/skirmish game as an intro to the game for independent retailers, as well as GW game stores. There were reportedly strategy discussions about the state of WHFB and direction of the game in the next edition (information about that leaked out maybe 1.5 years ago). GW stores and indy retaielrs in the US have long had difficulty (and complained to GW reps about) selling WHFB out of the box to new gamers and most of the new blood is coming from more experienced gamers deciding to try WHFB in order to play bigger and more complex games.

Given that, my understanding is that this may be reflected in the planning for 9th edition, consistent with the sources I have heard from (who are in the business but are admittedly more second-hand and less direct from the horses mouth but have proven to be reliable in the past because they need to track and follow changes in the industry and anticipate competition). I, too, highly doubt GW would be stupid enough to basically punt its WHFB franchise but it might make sense to cut inventory count and army book count to make the game easier to get into and maintain. IF that is the case, 9th edition may be seen, along with End of Times theme, as a reboot and refresher of the franchise to try to bring in new players to the game.

GW does not have a good history of radical changes in the game with an existing player base. GW made the mistake of trying to shift LOTR (scalable skirmish game) to WOTR in a single large rule book without playtesting the rules and testing for balance (I'll never forgive Matt Ward for that rule book.). The combination of the imbalance between army factions (Mordor able to largely table the other armies) created by poorly written and inadequately tested rules for the WOTR game (combined with GW's unwillingness to errata and fix broken rules) and effect of trying to force people to buy a lot more models (as wells as movement trays) to play a rank and file game based on a skirmish game did not work and killed the player base in many areas. The Hobbit effort to reboot the dying LOTR franchise has not worked (largely by GW's own admission publicly now in its annual report and elsewhere).

Maybe they are saying that the future lies in reversing the process to some extent to making WHFB a game that can be played at a smaller scale and played in a shorter period of time to compete with Warmachine/Hordes but they would be foolish to not include the large scale game rules of the big tournament for older guys like us (I have to dedicate time to play and balance it with family and work but have the income to play the big game.) That would argue for two sets of rules: one for smaller games where skirmisher options and warband options are present; and one for larger rank and file games.

The survey by ICv2 is nothing new. That survey is US and Canada-based where warmachine and hordes have made the most in-roads into the WH franchise. The PP game provides for faster games, smaller scale games, and more scalable game models with a perceived better player support and feedback structure than GW. Similarly, we see that with the rapid rise of the Star Wars X-Wing game system. It is entirely likely that GW is making the decision to shift to sellng a combination of big models and smaller/more expensive boxes consistent with the 40K and PP business model but I would surely miss those big blocks of infantry and cav ranked up and rolling a big handfull of dice all at once. Missing from that survey is an mention of Flames of War, which is actually quite popular but with a smaller and older player base, in some of my favorite gaming stores. That is an example of a niche game that seems to be stable and profitable even if it never quite gets in the top five of sales of minature war games surveys.
Kiatra
Trainee Warrior

Post by Kiatra »

ok, now IF that is closer to the truth, sounds more like they might make it the equiv of 40k's kill-team, regular, apocalypse game sizes for 4th through 6th ed. can leave army books alone for that, just a separate book or 2 like general's compendiums of the past.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Find myself thinking a combined rule book is possibly the most likely outcome, I find it hard to believe in the days of huge models GW would limit their opportunity to sell more by slimming down to warbands only.
I think I would be fairly happy to see some quick play game rules in there as well as the standard rules set, plus larger game rules would also be appreciated.

Anyway definitely excited about this release, need to get some good reading in.