My 500pts of Eldar for tournament

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

My 500pts of Eldar for tournament

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

For upcoming small tournament and for a gaming group I have just joined I have deviced the following Eldar army. I own pretty much every kind of model from 4th and 5th edition but I have always liked Saim-Hann and Alaitoc kind of approach to my lists. Fast and sneaky, I love my Skyhunters :)

500 points doesn't leave much to play with but I managed to include some firepower/CC potential into it. I'll struggle against hordes though :D

Autarch Jehufal
Jetbike, lance, Banshee mask, fusion gun
Fast and furious, this build is far from subtle. Banshee mask is only 3 points and helps against Slaanesh daemons and Genestealers - two things otherwise really dangerous to him otherwise. Multitude of attacks from this model is my only effective weapon against hordes. Fortunately this guy also strikes pretty darn hard so Plague Marines etc must also be wary of him! Fusion gun to give me some serious anti-tank power.

3+1 Jetbikes
Warlock w/Destructor and Singing Spear
Fast and somewhat durable, these Troops are awesome for taking objectives. Close range firepower against masses and, to some degree, against vehicles guarantees a good disturbance and even a transport/decoy for the Autarch.

5 Pathfinders

5 Pathfinders
Effective against high toughness and good AS, I hold these covers save 2+ dudes in high esteem. Having ten of them even guarantees a good number of hits per turn and can twindle even large units enough for Autarch to handle. Ignoring difficult terrain makes these guys useful also for capturing objectives in the last 1 or 2 turns

Total of 497 points

The biggest problem with the list is IMO that it gives away initiative to the enemy - something that should definitely be avoided, especially with Eldar. More Bikes or another good CC threat would fix the problem as I see it but one can't have everything :) Having a biker Autarch over a Doom-ing Farseer to boost the Pathfinders is an attempt to snatch that initiative but it remains to be seen if it works.

Tyranids will probably be my nemesis but I have always struggled against them. Any advice?

Critics and comments are highly valued as I intend to win something with this. Enemies will consist of everything but Tau, Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters. Hopefully a lot of Marines :twisted:
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

Personally, I think the Rangers are not needed in such a small points game as you have somehting counter just about anything you'll face in 500pts. I'd go with 10 Dire Avengers in a Wave Serpent with upgrades and such fitted to your liking instead of the rangers. They will let you deal with hordes, have a fast scoring unit and quite hard to take down considering the energy field and any other upgardes you give it.

List looks good to me, hope you do well.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Loki
Brolock
Brolock

Post by Loki »

If you go with only 7 Dire Avengers, you could take a waves serpent with twin BLs, should you drop the pathfinders. It gives you a little more anti-tank, plus a fast moving unit that can help deal with hordes. Also, it might be nice to see if you can get a shuricannon on the jetbikes.
+++ Team Mulligans +++

FAQ
Zakath the slaughterer
Master of Puppets

Post by Zakath the slaughterer »

Also, it might be nice to see if you can get a shuricannon on the jetbikes.

I had to drop it, sadly :( In the end I thought that Destructor and fusion gun are both more important.

OK, let me lighten the situation a little bit: last time I played (it was with my Wych Cult so I fortunately had Agonisers) I faced three armies. One was CSM with a Termie Lord and two units of Plague Marines.
One had Avatar of Khaine and Wraithlord in it. The third one included a Flyrant and three big units of Hormagaunts. So I think I do need every low AP shot or power weapon I can get!

Do people use Brightlances? I find them way overpriced compared to the awesomely versatile EMLs.
Master of puppets I'm pulling your strings/
Twisting your mind and smashing your dreams/
Blinded by me, you cant see a thing/
Just call my name, `cause Ill hear you scream