1000pts Space marines

All aspects of Warhammer 40K, from general discussion through to army lists, tactics etc etc.

Moderators: Drainial, The Dread Knights

Malekii
Shade

1000pts Space marines

Post by Malekii »

Ok this is a 1000 points list for general use.

Captain with relic blade, artificer armour, hellfire rounds, jump pack.

10 tactical with flamer, missile launcher, plasma pistol, chainsword, Melta bombs.

10 tactical, flamer, missile launcher, melta bombs.

5 sniper scouts, camo cloaks and missile launcher.

dreadnought

5 assult marines with power fist

Vindicator with seige shield.

So the captain goes with the assult marines and kills stuff in close combat.

the tactical squads split into combat squad and take objectives/kill the enemy with shooting and Close combat.

The scouts infiltrate onto a building or neutral objective and snipe.

The draednought smashes stuff up.

And the vindicator blows up anything it can with it's s 10 ap 2 large blast weapon.

Thjis is pretty much my whole collection.

Any feed back is welcome.
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Firstly, combat squads are bad. They go down too easily. 5 power armoured marines aren't very survivable in any situation, much less if they're holding an objective.

The way I would run tactical squads (I play SW so I don't have them) is to have them engage in short range firefights. Get the buggers a Rhino, skip the heavy weapon and just grab the special weapon. And make sure that when you place objectives, some end up in the middle of the table because there you'll be able to get those short ranged firefights you want to be in.

For heavy weapons, if anything I'd suggest a full squad of 10 devastators, preferably with 4 missile launchers. They have decent range, and they will be able to take out light, fast tanks which is what will cause you the most trouble. The only real way to take out heavy armour is to get in close and use meltas and meltabombs. Even lascannons aren't any good (although a las-plas razorback for the devastators is always a nice addition).

Your list will be forced to run about piecemeal - you've got some stationary units, and some mobile ones (by stationary I mean not mechanized, btw.). Any opponent with sufficient mobility (in other words, most people this edition because of the prevalence of mech armies) will be able to take your units out at will, and concentrate his force on a small part of your force. And there won't be much you can do about it.

What weaponry do you have on the dread?

Plasma pistols on sergeants are a thoroughly bad idea (overheat - he'll die the turn before he gets into combat. I guarantee it), you'd be better off with a power sword on him.

The missile launcher on scouts is also not a great choice (BS3), I'd take a heavy bolter because it gets the poison(2+) rounds and a template shot. I'm also not convince hellfire rounds on the captain are a good idea. I'd rather take digital weapons. S6 with one re-roll to wound will ensure that mostly you'll get at least 2 kills, and in the rare cases where you get 3 hits, you'll be sure not to be disappointed by a poor to wound roll.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I think you have too much equipment, too few troops and too little mobility. I have tried armies in the past with very few tactical marines (20 in a 2000 point army for a while) and it doesn't work very well against a decent opponent because you have very little redundancy, nothing to soak up damage and not much to take objectives with.

All of the fancy kit options make it very tempting to lavish it on your troops but most of the time they are not worth it. The five assault marines, even with the captain, will not survive to get into combat. The captain might arrive on his own, but if your opponent lets a squad of five combat troops bare down on him it is undoubtedly because he has a combat army himself. Either you need to ditch some units in favour of boosting the assault squad to ten or ditch them (which is what I would do).

Now I am not sure about specific point’s costs with the current Codex but this is what I would recommend you do.

1) Cut the captain's equipment down to a power fist and maybe an iron halo.

2) Cut out the missile launchers, flamers and plasma pistols from the tactical squads. Replace the flamers with either plasma guns or melta guns depending on the opponents you usually face.

3) Cut out the assault marines

4) Cut out the dreadnought. I know they are cool and if they can get up close they can be great but in my experience they only work if you are facing a combat army like orks or tyranids who are coming to you.

5) Hopefully that gives you enough points to get another tactical squad and equip all three with Rhinos.

The downside of this off course is that it leaves only the vindicator for heavy damage dealing but at 1000 points you need enough troops to take and hold objectives more than heavy hitters.

Alternatively if you didn't want to go with a mech army you could simply leave in the dread instead of the APCs. Possibly I have gotten the points wrong in which case this might not make sense but in essence you need more troops and few cool units.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Malekii
Shade

Post by Malekii »

Firstly I only own two tactical squad, do not own any rhinos, the only special weapons I have are flamers, I don't own a devastator squad or a razorback and at my store we play wysiwyg so I can't just change the equipment.

@Mr Anderson the dread is The aobr one with the melta cannon plus power fist and I rarely have a problem with overheating as it is a one in six chance of happening and I still get an armour save.
Never trust a monster wearing a top hat

Hi, i'm Malekii but you can call me My Lord.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

You asked us for advice, and now you say you can't really change your list? it's very hard to give advice like this you know ;)

What options do you have?

Also, if you're planning on expanding your army in future, our comments may help. This edition, for example, is all about mobility and being mechanized (which I love), so grabbing some rhinos is always a good idea. EDIT Actually, you want the razorback kit if you're in the UK or ordering from over there (currently Maelstrom are the best source due to the weak pound and free shipping). The razorback comes with all the rhino bits and heavy weapons (and some other extra stuff) for the same price, so it's better value for money.

There's no predicting how the next edition is going to change that, but it isn't even on the horizon as far as I know, so nothing to worry about just yet.
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Dialeth
Warrior

Post by Dialeth »

ok if you wabt advise this what I can say about your list

-Captain: Good enough for me, but if he is with a squad the artificier armor it´s not necesssary, but not a big problem, you can asign wounds to the squad first
-Scouts: Put them out, for good, 4 sniper, plus 1 missile launcher won´t save the day
With the aprox 100 points you save:
-Put combat fist in all you units, it´s the most helful weapon, against tiranids, marines etc etc
-change flamers to fusion, more range, and antitank too
-put something to the dread, like venerable, and/or flamers
we are the most graceful race. we can slay you in a thousant exquisit ways.
Join the Edotheism
Say NO to spotify