RPG Playtest

Create and trade characters and discuss aspects of the RPG.

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

RPG Playtest

Post by Kinslayer »

Hi Dnet RPGers.

As some of you may know, we have recently been discussing the idea of working Magic into the current RPG system. A little progress has been made in these discussions, and although nothing is decided yet we have come up with a basic Magic system that needs playtesting before it can be developed further. I am going to open a temporary playtesting group, in which I am going to need 4 players.

This temporary RPG will work exactly the same as current, but with the following exceptions:

There will be 8 new Skills on the Skills list, as follows:

Power of Aqshy (fire) - the character has a basic grasp on the fire element.
Power of Chamon (metal) - the character has the power to affect metals.
Power of Ulgu (shadow) - the character can twist shadows with their mind.
Power of Ghur (beasts) - the character has an unnatural affect on beasts.
Power of Azyr (heavens) - the character can call to the skies for power.
Power of Hysh (light) - the character can conjure light to expel the darkness.
Power of Ghyran (life) - the character can manipulate wounds with the mind.
Power of Shyish (death) - the character can summon the energies of death.

(Each of these is a level 1 Skill. Mages can improve to level 2 in these Skills)

Prerequisites for each at Level 1: Minimum Intelligence 3.
Prerequisites for each at Level 2: Level 1 and Intelligence 4.

There will be a new Character Class as follows:

Class: Mage
Starting Equipment: Dagger, Robes
Starting Skills: one of the above (level 1)
Stats between 1-5 (18 points to distribute) with Minimum of Intelligence 3.

I am in need of the following Characters for the playtesting group:

A non-Mage character with 2 skills, neither of which is a Magic skill.
A non-Mage character with 2 skills, one of which is a Lvl 1 Magic skill. (DRAINIAL)
A Mage character with 2 skills, both of which are Lvl 1 Magic skills.
A Mage character with 2 skills, both level 1 and 2 in a chosen Magic skill.

Please post characters here to apply.

Thankyou.
Last edited by Kinslayer on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 9 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Equipment: Robes, Dagger
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

Background: Khalia was born as a nobody, her birth effected no-one outside of her father, who had to find something to do with the child, and the mother, who died shortly after. As soon as she was old enough Khalia was sold into servitude with the House of Vaarko, distant relations to the Hellbanes. Khalia was in all respects completely average until the day when she cursed the youngest son of House Vaarko. She had been one of his many toys and when his plot to depose his older sister failed he accused Khalia of spying on him.
As she was being tortured, Khalia cursed the son with all of her being - and someone heard her. When the son was found next morning oozing black fluids from every pore in his body Khalia was sentenced to immediate execution. Rogue sorceress, murderer - the reason was immaterial.
Khalia immediately fled, an escape which went suprisingly well - for what reasons Khalia has remained unsure.
Now ostracised by druchii society Khalia has resorted to the life of adventure - her magical ability, while developing is still mostly uncontrolled, she casts by wish rather than by incantation or method.

Hope shes interesting enough...
Last edited by Slortor on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Serraken Nightbringer
Height/Weight: 5'7" 123 lb.
Appearance: Serraken has raven-black hair, and pale features.
Equipment: Robes, Dagger
Skills: Shyish (Level 2)
Stats: WS:3, S3, T3, D4, I5
Background: Serraken grew up expecting to be a sorceress, under the tutelage of her mother, who herself was a sorceress. She trained long and hard, and her only goal was to prove herself worthy of being in the Convent.

Unfortunately, her mother was assassinated, probably for her involvement with the Cult of Slaanesh. Fearing for her own life after the gruesome murder of her mother, Serraken fled her home and went south. Along the journey she was nearly ambushed by the assassins, but got the chance to use her powers to kill the assassins. After that, having fled from the convent in a perhaps foolish fashion, and finding herself distant from Druchii society, Serraken has sold her services as a sorceress to the highest bidder.
Last edited by Masked jackal on Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Name: Ruakhbeth 'Anast' Fiannadh

Height: 5'11"

Weight: 114lbs

Other Descriptions: Black hair; violet eyes; nearly unnoticeable scar running along the left cheek bone and a myriad other such marks often hidden by clothing; dense, spiralling, interweaving tattoos, in black and indigo ink, running up both arms, across the shoulders and down the left half of his back and right half of his front, both sides terminating just above the knee in thorn-like designs; clothed in layers of dark, filthy and worn fabrics, complete with a deep hood and face scarf.

Class: Shade

Background: An autari of the Bone Scorpion Clan, Ruakhbeth is one of a handful of survivors after an unfortunate event involving a young manticore. The beast laid claim to the section of the Iron Mountains the Bone Scorpions had staked as their own, landing in the midst of their small camp and, suffice it to say, the monster ate well, scattering the survivors to the eight winds. Since, Ruakhbeth has wandered the wilderness surviving as best he was able (which was well, all things considered), occasionally hiring himself out as a scout or guide when times where lean. On such instances he has used the name 'Anast', and it is under this moniker he is known now that his quiet exploits have led him to the City of Mercenaries, Vikarh.

Other: Anast is cautious and quiet, he isn't known for heroics or fiery oratories, and if he had his way, wouldn't be known at all. His goal is to survive, and he has assumed (probably correctly) that his chances are better among the hydra and wyvern than the druchii, as such; he is an untrusting individual, even by the standards of his own capricious race.

Weapon Skill: 4
Strength: 3
Toughness: 3
Dexterity: 4
Intelligence: 4
Gold: 0G

Equipment: Short sword, repeater crossbow, shade cloak.

Skills: Basic Stealth, Wilderness Lore

That's me applying for the 'non-mage with no magic' character (I simply chose another skill to add to the basic set.)
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Well I supose I should apply formaly, so here it is.

Name -Ki’lia Hakara
Height -5. 11”
Weight- 7 stone 5lbs
Gender- Female
Age-118
Class-Warrior
Equipment- Light armour, shield, Repeater crossbow, dagger, shade cloak, 175 gold
Skills- Power of Aqshy (fire), Bluff

Description- Slim, attractive, large violet eyes, scaring on her back from old beatings and on her arms from more recent fighting and training. Long, dark brown hair braided into many strands. She wears comfortable if plain clothing, money spent on practicality rather than beauty along with a green shade cloak looted from the body of a former comrade.
Background- Born into the gutter Ki’lia never had great hopes for her life. Her mother and father worked as labourers on the docks when employment was available, the pittance such work brought in just about keeping their heads above water. When the land lord raised the rent on the rooms the family lived in there seemed little chance they could remain. However a young lord, noble but poor, came recruiting at the docks for a raid in the old world. The money offered was poor but then so were the applicants and it was at the least more than they could earn as dock workers, moreover food and board would not have to be bought during the voyage, Ki’lia’s parents saw this as their only chance and signed on.

Young Ki’lia was 26 when her parents left, far too young to care for herself. Being dutiful if not exceptional parents they left her with the only other member of family in the city, a distant aunt whom they had not spoken to for decades. Of course they should have gone to her and spoken of their needs, but with the expedition sailing on the next tide and fearful she might refuse the pair of make do corsairs simply left the child at her address with a note and a meagre bag of copper coins. Unfortunately, and unbeknownst to her brother and sister in law Dylia Hakara was advertised by her ‘manager’ as “an affordable courtesan” and described by everyone in the local wine shops as “the hottest whore in staggering distance”.

Familial loyalty meant that the child had a home though Dylia did not welcome the turn of events. The madam of Dylia’s brothel consented to the new arrangement, but would not allow her to board for free, Ki’lia would have to work. At first she simply fetched and carried, and then she served drinks and led men into the private chambers. Years passed however and it became clear that whatever the fate of the expedition Ki’lia’s parents were not returning.

On her 65th birthday the madam declared that she was developed enough to take on a more hands on role in the brothel. Ki’lia hated working as a whore and eventually she was whipped to ‘make her see sense’. After that she hid her hate, did as she was told and quietly began to learn the skills she would need if she was ever to escape from this life.

Ki’lia gave freebies to soldiers in return for training, and though they laughed she learned well enough. She grew stronger and more skilful until eventually she felt that she was ready. In the late hours of the morning (when the brothel was all asleep, recovering from the exertions of the night before) she murdered the madam, stole the nights takings and ran off.
When she felt she had run far enough and hidden herself out of reach of the city watch Ki’lia bought herself some armour, a crossbow and a light snack (murder is hungry work) and set out to make it as a mercenary.

Several decades have passed since then and Ki’lia is something of an experienced hand in the field. On one particularly memorable job she was hired by a rouge mage to slip him out from under the eyes of the city watch and to Karond Kar where he could catch a ship to ‘anywhere but here’. On the long journey to the coast by way of payment the mage taught Ki’lia the basics of arcane law.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Slortor

Post by Slortor »

Jackal - isnt your character supposed to be lvl 2 in one magic lore? rather than lvl 2 in 2?

Masked jackal
Noble

Post by Masked jackal »

Slortor wrote:Jackal - isnt your character supposed to be lvl 2 in one magic lore? rather than lvl 2 in 2?

My bad, I misinterpreted what was said, I'll edit it.
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Death, Metal, Beasts and Fire, plus warrior and shade skills; we should be pretty versatile. :)
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Slortor

Post by Slortor »

Desmodeus wrote:Death, Metal, Beasts and Fire, plus warrior and shade skills; we should be pretty versatile. :)

I think you mean Death, Metal, Shadow and Fire no?

how appropriate we seem to have aquired all the normal DE magic lores :)

Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

Alright then, all these characters look good and that's 4 characters which fit every required field. I will open the temporary group shortly and get things underway. I will turn this thread into the Out of Character discussion and Feedback thread for the group.

Thanks
Desmodeus
Executioner

Post by Desmodeus »

Slortor wrote:
Desmodeus wrote:Death, Metal, Beasts and Fire, plus warrior and shade skills; we should be pretty versatile. :)

I think you mean Death, Metal, Shadow and Fire no?

how appropriate we seem to have aquired all the normal DE magic lores :)

Bah! Yes I did, I was thinking of what I would've chose. XD

Yup, works well. :D
Anast: Ws4 S3 T3 D4 I4 0G
Short Sword, Repeater Crossbow, Shade Cloak, lock-picks, choke-wire
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

I've decided to close this thread actually. The 'Discussing Magic' seems like the ideal place to leave feedback... Please do post up there as we go along!

The idea of that this is not just a game but a playtesting session, where all four players and myself should be deciding on what works and what doesn't, and keeping the rest of the Roleplaying community informed. This way we can make suitable changes, or if the idea turns out to be completely off - scrap it, and perhaps start over.