Group 22

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Phalx tried to ignore Karonaths last words to him as they sailed on. He'd never had much to say to the deadliest killer in their party, and it sat none to comfortably with him that he'd angered her. Well at least he was by himself up here. His sharp eyes scanned the foreboding woods, his tongue tasting odd sips of the sharp liquor. A bit chilled but otherwise fine. The Shade brooded over the deaths and madness that were engulfing his being, when his eyes caught sight of the beast. A hydra, sleek and deadly, a worthy beast to hunt and be hunted by. No doubt they would want to hear of it.

With a beyond natural ease he made his way down the swaying mast to report his sighting, the end of it cut off by the horrid roar of the beast. Who gives a damn what your mother said, spat Phalx at Elysian. We'll kill that beast and be on our way, all the richer for its carcass! Just get these water elves to pull in the blasted cloth, surely you finger wagglers can quench its fierce breath?

Phalx made for the mast again, already that suicidal urge was creeping over him. Something had broken in the Shade. He wasn't fully sure when it had happened, Phalx was only just becoming aware of it over the last few days. He cackled and keened as he climbed, his mad idea drawing closer and closer to a even wilder reality. He was broken, he was beyond whatever he had been. He wasn't even sure if any of this was true. If it was he might as well play the game.

Phalx will climb the mast till he is in a good enough position to fire upon this most deadly hunter. If an opportunity presents itself, he will leap onto it, dagger and sword at the ready.
Phalx Tr'dasr – WS5 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I4
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 5829
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Class: Shade
Check out, http://thingsfrom1934.com/
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Strangely, the horn changed its tone at the end of the blow. It sounded like... no way, did this horn really speak hydra tongue?
That was well in tune with the horn's personnality.
What obscene words did he talked to the hydra down the stream?

Then cap'n spoke. "Caraoc, we need the push of a mighty wave and a gale's wind in our sails, to get us past that grisly bastard."
That was a good plan. When not possible to go backwards or to turn around a danger, there is always the possibility to jump above. Caraoc had only to make sure the ship did not land on trees, but went back to the river.
Aye aye Cap'n!

Still, that was not an easy task. First, to make waves and gale. Second, to fly high above the hydra and steer back to the river.

Caraoc started by challenging the Azyr elements to provide the push.

Come, Azyr winds, I'll sing you a song; / Of the days when the fish were thick and I was young and strong.
We set sail in the evening, / In the teeth of a howling wind
And the waves roll out, and the waves roll in / And the waves roll out, and the waves roll in

Then late that night, there rose a gale / And it kicked the hull like a stick of wood and it blew the sail
You should've seen the compass whirl / As the ship began to spin.
And the waves roll out, and the waves roll in / And the waves roll out, and the waves roll in

Then the sea turned red and the sky went white / And I heard a weird and wailing cry tear through the night
And the beast opened up like a gaping mouth / And watched us screaming out.

And there I saw on the ocean floor / The hydra drowned and dead for thirty yards or more
Its boney skinless toothless jaws / In a ghostly ghastly grin

After the thrust had been provided by the wind on the sails and the waves on the hull, hopefully killing the land creature in the process, Caraoc endeavoured to pilot the ship across the dangerous area to safety.
That was a song more apreciated by High Elves, but at sea, they had been good navigators before Lord Malekith was shamely turned away.

Let's try! Now try! / This feeling inside me says it's time I was gone
Clear head, life ahead / It's time I was flying, now for just one more time

Fly by night away from here / Change my life again
Fly by night, goodbye my dear / My ship isn't coming and I just can't pretend

Moon rise, thoughtful eyes / Staring back at me from the bank left aside
No fright or hindsight / Leaving behind that empty hydra inside

Fly by night away from here / Change my life again
Fly by night, goodbye my dear / My ship isn't coming and I just can't pretend

As he was steering the best he could, more with mind control than with the helpless helm, Caraoc wondered whether the ship was really flying or if she was just rolling on top of a high wave.
He did not dare to have a look below, he needed his concentration.
Hopefully, no mercenary would fall overboard in the process.
The other corsairs... well, if someone had to pay with his life, better be one of them.

Azy power! Thrusting the ship past the hydra.

OOC:
1. The Waves Roll Out (Bob Gibson/Shel Silverstein)
Lyrics: http://www.traditionalmusic.co.uk/folk- ... ll_Out.htm
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZF13OdfrJEc

2. Fly By Night (Rush)
Lyrics: http://www.metrolyrics.com/fly-by-night ... -rush.html
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lpVjXwAfm0
(they sing and look like High Elves :sick: , but that's the only thing I could find).

Skills: Power of Azyr (2), Evasion, Raiding
Class: Mage (Astromancer)
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Vryala was still intent on manning the weapons. Caraoc was already whipping up the winds, singing a spell to speed the ship to safety. Casaythe wasted no time, and grabbing a length of rope, fixed himself to the aft rail.

Shouting down to the rest of the crew and his comrades, he hollered a warning, 'Batten down the hatches! Tie yourselves to the rails or a mast! There be a storm brewing!'

With the grin of a maniac he howled at the hydra, oblivious to Phalx's actions up above as the psychotic shade began to climb the mast.

Tying himself securely so as not to fall overboard should Caraoc's spell succeed.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Really sorry about the delay everyone, not sure how the pace on this will be from now on daily posting seems rather unlikely. This one will have to be a bit rushed too.

IC -

The Hydra waited for them in the shallow water on the side of the clearing, all five of it's mouths now snapping and hissing in anticipation as the current brought them and the Nightshade ever closer to the monster. The river here was not wide enough for them to sail around safely, and to risk the sails being set aflame would undo everything they had achieved already that day. While not big enough to destroy the ship in such a brief passing, the Hydra was however easily large enough to do some serious damage, and could just as easily snatch one or two of the crew with it's many sets of jaws as they passed it.

Knowing the danger, the group rushed about on the deck, some of the Corsairs securing themselves with rope to reduce the chance of being snatched by one of the savage heads. Some of the group however had their own ideas, Caraoc raising his horn to sound a blast, Elysian twisting the sound with his magic. Vryala made a run for the one reaper that the Nightshade was equipped with, right on the tip of it's elegant prow. Phalx stayed in the crows nest, but raised Deathspitter to the Hydra as he felt the madness gripping him once more. Meanwhile, Casaythe told Caraoc it would take more than a horn blast to get them past the Hydra, and suggested he instead try to push them along with a powerful wave. Karonath remained silent, fastening herself to the railings beside Casaythe, deciding the experienced Corsair was probably the one to follow in this situation.

As the blast of the Beastbane Horn echoed into the woods, birds took flight in all directions and flew directly away from the ship in fear. The tone of the blast changed as it sounded however, Elysian manipulating it until it sounded just like the Hydras' roar. The monster stiffened slightly, two of it's heads suddenly stopping their snarling display, one looking off into the distance as the other sniffed at the wind. The distraction had done it's part, but it would only keep the creature busy for a moment. It was then that Caraoc summoned up the power of Azyr and urged the river to rise up and carry them forth with more speed. Just as the water answered his call and Nightshade took a powerful shove from behind, the Hydra opened the three heads that still watched the ship and summoned three great gouts of flame.

There was just enough time for Casaythe to call out a warning when the wave Caraoc had summoned rose even higher, and crashed down over the deck. Those that had secured themselves to the railings were safe, but the others found themselves sliding around the deck. Vryala clutched onto the reaper moments after she had fired it, her shot sent wide by the sudden lurch in the ship. She clung to the weapon for dear life as water rushed around them, catching a glimpse of Phalx dry as a bone up in the crows nest still firing bolts at the Hydra as they passed it. The huge wave soaked the sails, and kept them safe from the Hydras' flames just as Caraoc had wanted. The wave pushed them past the clearing where the Hydra had waited, leaving the monster snarling and splashing in the shallows as it's prey evaded it.

Soaking wet and still alive, the mercenaries and Corsairs let the tide carry them away, until the river began to widen again and at last they came into sight of the sea.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OOC: back to work, too. Might be less available, too, so a slower speed fits me well.
IC-

The welcome wave had pushed Nightshade past the five headed danger.
The ship had proven too heavy to lift. It made sense: it was as silly to try to fly with something heavier than air, than to float with steel.
Caraoc was reliefed that the ship had remained in the river, after all.
Now the river mouth was visible.
The pilot knew that all they had to do was to steer away from land, there was no shoal water except close to the shore.

"<Yawn>
Cap'n, pilot needs rest."

Asking a relief at the helm, once out at sea.

[/quote]
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

Come on serpent bastard, come on go for us. His nest swayed slightly, he compensated his aim easily. He could probably blind an eye on his first attack. If the beast got any of the crew in its wicked jaws, he'd be able to shot out a few more as it ate. Blinded he could leap upon the cruel and foul beast. A few well placed dagger and sword strokes and the fight would be over.

Phalx hackles rose at the strong call of the horn. His first bolt left a scar by one of the beasts eyes, as it to was effected by the horrid call. Then with a great rush of water and noise they were off, quickly leaving the Hydra far behind. Phalx looked down upon the rest of them, soaking and exuberant. The wild thrill, the blind madness was leaving him. By the gods he needed a drink.

Wheres my flask? It was nowhere to be found! Piss and darkness where was it! It must of been knocked from his nest with the wild rush of water. Piss and darkness! He spat and snarl, turning round and round, ignorant of the vast wide sea before them. Where was his drink, where was his blind escape!

Phalx will remain in the crows nest. Time for some unintentional detox.
Equipment: Deathspitter (5/20) 4 of these poisoned (1/2x QD, 3xSD), short sword, dagger, punching dagger (Bloodthirst Rune), shade cloak, full leather armour
Inventory: thieves tools, torches x3, healing balms x5, rope and grapple, Vikarh map, dice, winter gear, orc tusk,
Skills: Basic Stealth, Precision Fire, Basic Ride, Frenzy, Ambidexterity,Suithenlu Khythan (1): SP2
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Manning the impressive war machine on the vessel's prow, V was poised to wreak havoc on the Hydra's many heads. Her crewmates, however, had other ideas. Warned only by the piercing blare of the Beastbane Horn, she was sent sprawling by a massive tidal wave which had her hanging on to the Reaper's rigging for dear life. Furious, she made to scold the spellslingers for their audacity, only to find the Nightshade was now well out of the Hydra's range. Grumbling, she shook herself dry like a drenched mongrel, but chose to stay in position.

If any other danger would present itself, a barrage of missiles would be its welcome.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Casaythe's laugh broke through the sound of crashing waves and rushing water as Caraoc's magic did the trick. 'We're too fast for you, ya great bastard!' he yelled as the water carried them past the hydra; seemingly surprised by the speed in which the ship had passed the beast to evade its ambush. 'He'll have to sup on the net sorry lot that sail by.' he remarked, wringing the water from his hair.

The wave had reached the sails, preventing any damage from the fire that had been belched out by the monster. Sodden with riverwater, a cool breeze would dry them out soon enough.

He untied himself from the rail, noting that some of the others had not heeded his warning. With a smirk at the druchii picking themselves up, he slapped Caraoc on the back.

'Another job well done. I'll take the wheel, go get some grog down yer.'

The open sea was in sight. The thrill of adventure and smell of the ocean set his soul afire.

Relieving Caraoc. He's a happy chappy.
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Twisting the horn blast into the roar of a hydra actually went rather well, it seemed to fool the terrible beastie for a moment at least. Concentrating hard on this experimental if modest feet Elysian was rather taken unawares by a sudden surge of water. The deck bucked beneath his feet and the suddenly wet deck didn't help matters. Moments later Elysian picked himself up from the deck with a bump on his head and a scowl on his face. His irritation at Caroac's scheme was alleviated somewhat when he saw that the hydra had been left behind. He couldn't help but worry what with all this magic being thrown around the ship, the corsairs would surely suspect him soon enough. Maybe they wouldn't care, they were not agents of the state after all. Who could tell with these people, he would start worrying when Caroac did.

"Right then, back to work," he said before disapearing back into the ship's hold. He would make this damn spear head, how hard could it be?

Back to black smithing.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - The Hydra was never meant to be a battle, it just broke up the 'sailing down the river scene' quite nicely. Interesting to see how you went about passing the obstacle too! I'd expect a couple more of those since there is only so much roleplaying to be done while sailing a ship, hence this bit may skip large amounts of time between posts without much focus, but that will help keep us moving if anything. Especially since it seems I'm only able to find time to post 2-3 times a week at present.

IC -

The rest of the journey to the Sea of Malice went without incident, and by dawn the mercenaries were sailing across the open ocean, much to the joy of the Corsairs. They had Nightshade follow the coastline at a safe enough distance to avoid the jagged rocks that lurked beneath the surface in the shallows, and stay out of range of any more Hydras that might be lurking at the waters edge. They stayed within sight of the coast however as they caught a strong wind heading east, for to sail too far into open waters had even more risks than staying near the shore. Those who were less familiar with being at sea had heard the frightful tales and kept a wary eye on the water all around them, just in case a Sea Dragon were to emerge. The seasoned Corsairs' however did not bother to worry, save for the occasional glance out to sea... they knew that if such a creature found them, it would likely be too late to do anything about it anyway.

Day became night, and they continued to sail on through the darkness with naught but the moonlight to guide them, the eerie glow of the chaos-moon casting a green hint across the water. To light a brazier to better see their way would only draw attention to themselves, as Caraoc and Casaythe pointed out. So too would Elysian if he did not stop his smithing, and so when darkness came the Shadowmancer put away his hammers and came back up to the deck. His spear point was mostly in shape now, but just needed beating into a sharper point if it was going to best serve it's purpose. The rest of the group had been taking it in turns to get some rest while others helped on deck, and now he was informed it was his and Phalxs' turn to rest. The Shade had yet to come down from the crows nest, but with the darkness preventing him seeing afar anyway he relented and came down. He would be back on his perch by dawn.

It was then, when the group were all together on the deck for the first time since their departure, even if it was just in passing, that Vryala called out to Casaythe loud enough for all to hear.
"How far have we sailed now, Captain? How long until we reach the Sea of Chill?"
Casaythe took the opportunity to inform the rest of the mercenaries what the Corsairs' already knew.
"Another night at this speed, the wind is giving us about as much thrust as is possible, so for that we must thank the sea. She can be cruel should she wish it, but this day she had been kind. Usually it would take at least two more days to reach the narrows, where the Sea of Malice becomes the Sea of Chill. From there, I'd expect a week on average sailing through to Karond Kar. After that, we will have to follow your lead, to find this hidden treasure to the north."
His lie masked all suspicion to those not in service to House Blackthorn. In reality their destination was just a few days out to sea, east of the slave port of Karond Kar.

They had a long way to travel yet, but the wind was speeding up their journey considerably, almost as if it wanted to see them hastily on their way.

Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

The spear head was coming along quite nicely. It was far from the work of a master craftsman, that would come later. In time Elysian intended to create items of great beauty and power, something worth stealing perhaps, but for now functional would do. It needed finishing though and sharpening but hopefully he would have it done before the time came to dispose of their new found companions. Until that time he had plenty to be getting on with.

More of the same. Elysian wants to get the spear head finished as soon as possible and make sure it attaches to the end of his staff properly.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Gentleman of Moderation
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

He was dying, there was no other explanation. So exhausted but unable to sleep, so much pain but no sweet blessed darkness of unconsciousness. His skull was shards held together by black poisonous pus. His body was a wasted shivering thing of ice and fire. Just one sip, one sip of the pissiest ale and the pain would go.

The sailors wouldn't share, and he'd still rather die then beg his comrades. NO! They would not see him so weak. He ate little, a meal would come straight back up. water he sip. He lay huddled in body splitting pain, the winds whipping at his little crows nest. Every now and then he look out over the watery horizon, but the light stung his eyes. How low he had sunk, what a slave to drink he'd become. He couldn't run to it anymore. Nightmares and memories of past wounds, deaths, bone chilling horrors rushed back to torment him. He yelp and howled with the madness of it all, gnashing his teeth, his eyes wide.

Phalx would have thrown himself from the crows nest, but he had no strength outside of these brain addled fits. This went on for he didn't know how long. Then finally darkness. He greeted death. He and the old bastard would finally have their greeting, and then on, on to the greatest Darkness. No, not now Shade.

Phalx stirred, birds cawing overhead. They weren't pure daggers of pain though ,just the dull ache he knew from a hangover. Was it over? Was the pain gone? He stood, somewhat shakily. The wind whipped his sweat soaked hair, a soothing balm to his paler then white skin. He felt different. He wasn't sure how exactly, but no, he defiantly felt different. For the first time he days he climbed down the mast. The others were gather, discussing something or other. He barely noticed.

The Shade looked about him, with an owl like expression. How strange it felt. How very strange. A mad little giggle escaped his lips. Life, that's what this felt like, looking to the horizon instead of at the bottom of a bottle. He took in the sea breeze Reveling in it. He had nothing to say. Yes to an island, and adventure, coin, and battle sweet battle.

Phalx has recovered somewhat from his alcoholism. Let us see how long he lasts,
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

After a well deserved rest, Caraoc went back to his favourite location: the helm.
He found Casaythe still there, quite relieved to be able to move elsewhere.

They chatted a bit in the chilly morning.
Caraoc wondered how Casaythe would do to get rid of the four extra corsairs.
Would he make their life so miserable that they would leave the ship at first opportunity, that the mercenaries would gladly oblige to provide? That would lead potential pursuers towards the wrong direction.
Would he just brutally relase the might of the mad Shade and the cold minded Khainites? The risk of being hurt was not to take lightly, the curing talents of Yurul were now far away. Also, killing one's crew was not considered a good thing for one's reputation, and Casaythe had a career to preserve.

Chatting with Casaythe.

[/quote][/quote]
Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Even though it had only been a couple of days, her first time out on the open seas to boot, Vryala found herself quite bored with the sailor's life. Everything that warranted worrying about lay unseen under the ocean's surface, and the seasoned Corsairs seemed none too fazed. Some of the others came down with sea sickness, and she did count herself lucky not to suffer the same. So she spent her off time staying in shape and getting to know the shifty footing. Push-ups, crunches, basic combat forms - anything to quicken the passage of time and get to work already.

Or get a chance to field-test that delicious Reaper.

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Casaythe shouted out the report over the sound of the wind whipping through the ropes and sails, his face carefully neutral. "Spill all the beans, and you would soon spill your guts" his father used to say. How right was he, the old bastard got himself murdered in some back alley in Karond Kar. It wouldn't be long before they passed the spire of the city of slaves, and the great chain that guarded the mouth to the Great Ocean. He always enjoyed seeing the ships coming in, the sobs and screams of captives clearly audible as the slaveships sailed by. The circumstances of his departure from his home city would be made up for tenfold, once he returned with his own ship and the head of the whoreson that stole it from him impaled on a spike on the prow. He had all the patience in the world for revenge.

The Nightshade cut through the water efficiently and sleekly, only rolling gently if a larger wave hit the side. Casaythe whistled a sea-shanty as he calmly manned the wheel, turning it slightly here and there to avoid scrapping the boat against the black rocks below. Eventually, Caraoc returned to the deck and relieved him of the wheel, making some questions about what plans the corsair had.

In hushed tones, Casaythe gave his reply, trying not to look suspicious. 'I don't trust 'em matey. I don't trust this lot neither.' he grinned, throwing Vryala an amiable wave. Returning his attention back to the pilot he continued, 'We're alive whilst we're useful. Same applies to the crew. I don't like signing m'life away, that Blackthorn can kiss my arse if he thinks I'll serve anyone's ambitions. You know the corsair's code... An Elf serves himself.'

'Let's see how it goes. And don't be too hasty. These crewmates might be useful afterall. And whilst they're useful, we keep 'em alive.'

He elbowed his friend and took a swig from his canteen, before bursting into a loud and raucous song,

'Oh, better by far to live and die
Under the brave black flag I fly,
Than play a sanctimonious part,
With a corsair head and a pirate heart.
Away to the cheating world go you,
Where corsairs all are well-to-do;
But I'll be true to the song I sing,
And live and die a Pirate King.'

With another swig of his drink, he leaned back on the rail, and enjoyed the sensation of the wind in his hair. It was good to be away from that damned city.

Mod, Group 38
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

By the time the ship reached the Sea of Chill, the mercenaries and Corsairs on board had all had time to get more acquainted. Without giving their attentions away, the group found out soon enough that Karith and his crew would not give up their ship, not even if the journey was as unpleasant as a night in the Drachs' torture rooms. The Corsairs had nothing else left to them, and were counting on this treasure hunt to give them a new start at sea. When the time came to get rid of them they would have to end their lives, for Varin had made it clear that nobody could find out the location of the island or the truth about their mission going there. Casaythe and Caraoc however were proving their worth to the others with every passing day, and without their skills at sea there was no way they could be making such progress. The wind had been behind them for nearly a week, and they had passed through the narrows where the two seas' met without any real challenge.

In their time at sea, Elysian had finished crafting his spear tip, and had practised quickly attaching and detaching it from his staff. Phalx had gone nearly a week without a drink and had a newfound clarity of mind. he had spotted several small dangers from the crows nest that the ship had managed to avoid. Vryala had even had a chance to test out the reaper on the helm, firing a burst of bolts from it once at an oncoming swarm of harpies, scattering them into the skies. Karonath had the most struggled to get used to the sea, and had spent the week quiet and almost unapproachable. Still, they had all been practising their sea legs when it came to combat duels, and K still found herself as one of the sharpest fighters, even against the other Corsairs. Casaythe and Caraoc were happy to be back at sea, and were happily sailing NIghtshade through the open waters when Phalx suddenly called down from the crows nest.

"There is something vast coming into view on the shore of the east horizon!"

The Corsairs laughed, "Aye Phalx, that there is. It is the City of Karond Kar, we will reach it before night falls."

Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

Harpies! sounded the call, and Vryala swung 'her' Reaper in the general direction of Phalx' gesture. Have at you, mongrels she whsipered under her breath as she cranked down the lever and sent a massive wave of black-fletched death at the airborne scavengers. She cackled in mad delight at seeing its effect; within moments the Harpies thought the better of assailing the Nightshade. A job well done, she had to say, and petted the war machine lovingly. I don't think I want to part with this thing. We could become good friends!

The sun rose and set a few more times, sadly bereft of further practice Vryala resumed her training. Until finally their resident Shade pointed out the towered structures of Karond Kar. V glanced at Casaythe; now he would show his true colors. She resolved to approach him the coming night, hoping to slay the four Corsairs and finally welcome him into the group for proven loyalty. If he chose the life of a free pirate, a massive duking lay ahead, one she wasn't particularly keen on. But there was no choice. Varin's orders had to be executed. She would fight any one of the ship - save Karonath of course - to secure her employer's position. But, gaining a strong friend was always better.

Waiting until nightfall to speak - and perhaps fight - with Cap'n Casaythe

Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

'Good to know!' Phalx called back to the Corsairs at large. Not so long ago he would have thought striking them all down, crossbow spitting death. The wind was in his hair, and the seas were calm. Phalx was enjoying himself. The drink called for him, and he had enjoyed the odd swig wit the corsairs, but nothing like the black madness he had sunk into before.

A new city, new places to gamble, new people to kill and steal from, honest pursuits for any Shade.

Phalx is ready for adventure. Ya Har!
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

At last the spear head was completed, Elysian was quite pleased with it. It was simple in design, a socket that fit tightly over the base of his staff mounted with a seven inch spike of steel sharpened on both sides and like a razor at the tip. It was no Dranach, not some huge war spear designed as much for hacking as thrusting, but rather a slim precision tool for piercing chain and sliping through the gaps in plate. Best of all it could be removed in a flash so that his staff was still the very image of a harmless stick. It was his first work and he was rather proud of himself even if he hoped one day to make objects of true power and value.

He itched to try it but the time was not yet come to divest themselves of their sailors. Indeed they were coming up on the corsair city, hardly the place for killing their kind.
"So do we stop here or carry on regardless?" Elysian asked. He saw no reason to pause but the ways of the sea were not his.

Just playing with his new toy.

Gentleman of Moderation
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Phalx seemed to be doing his job well as lookout. Casaythe was relieved that the psychopath had chosen to be a recluse for the majority of the voyage."There is something vast coming into view on the shore of the east horizon!" he yelled from atop the mainmast

The corsairs replied back, "Aye Phalx, that there is. It is the City of Karond Kar, we will reach it before night falls."

So they had nearly reached the City of Slaves. Casaythe smiled grimly to himself. He had mixed feelings; to set foot ashore at this current time would not be in his favour. Yet it had been too long since he had been home. Elysian broke his train of thought with his questioning,

'We might want to drop anchor to take on some supplies. But we don't want to stay in port for longer than half a day. The wind's in our favour, and so is the tide.'

In all honesty, he didn't want to stay there for long enough for word to get around that he was in port.

The city clung to a rock, rising into a point with a wicked looking tower breaking through the low mist. A terrifying sight for any newcomer to the Land of Chill.

Is happy to dock, but not set foot ashore. Doesn't want folks knowing he's back in town.

((Casaythe's backstory is that he hails from this city. He lost a ship in a game of dice that went wrong - and the corsair that cheated him out of it tried to have him killed. It's dangerous for him to return at the moment - it's the reason he fled to Vikarh in the first place))

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

That was a quick journey. Rather unusual.
It had been pretty much uneventful since the hydra threat. At least, that was usual.
Having spent a couple of nights talking with his fellow stars, Caraoc was in a particularly good mood. As reflected by his songs, which surprisingly did not bring much adverse weather.

-=-=-

During the boring watches, Caraoc suggested Casaythe that he could go ashore for replenishment, along with three of the corsairs and Elysian.
Once ashore, he would count upon Elysian to hide both of them and go back on oard, leaving the three corsairs wondering where they had vanished.
The last corsair would be an easy match and could be thrown overboard.

Then the ship would have to get underway quickly before the corsairs could find a boat and come back.

Caraoc was not keen to spill corsair blood unnecessarily, they were all part of the same brotherhood.
But a more important reason was to spread the word, though the four abandoned corsairs, that the ship was bound to the North.

-=-=-

Before they arrived, the ship was questioned by a small pilot ship, which task was to make sure about their peaceful intentions.
Caraoc told that there were some passengers from Vikarh, and the answer was satisfying enough.

When they had arrived close to the shore, Caraoc concentrated on the maneuver.
The City of Slaves was well known, he could steer trhough the narrows without giving a thought. But a gall was always a possibility and a wise pilot had to be ready to react to anything.

Manoeuvering. Plotting.
Dauricha
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dauricha »

OOC: Obviously everyone is v.busy. Babies and all included. Coincidentally I have just found out I am going to be an uncle. Anyway, Phalx is still here ready for some swashbuckling adventure.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - Sorry guys I thought I had said in advance but it seems I forgot, I've had a couple of very hard and busy weeks. I lost both my granddads and we have been up north for one funeral and just yesterday arrived back for the other. I'm not back in work for 2 days before a very busy weekend with mine and my nieces birthdays. I'm hoping to get a proper post in later today, if not Saturday.
Kinslayer
Roleplaying Deity
Roleplaying Deity

Post by Kinslayer »

OOC - It's quiet here at work today so here goes...

IC -

As Caraoc pointed out to the others as they neared Karond Kar, the journey east had been unusually fast, and they had cut almost three whole days off their expected journey time. A strong wind had kept them moving east at top speed, and they had encountered little in the way of obstacles along the way. As such, they had arrived at the Corsairs' City with plenty of rations left on board, for they had taken enough to last them the entire trip and should now have spares. There was no real need to dock and venture into the City, save perhaps to give themselves a break from the constant motion of the moving ship. As the mercenaries were getting more accustomed to that as well though, they decided they would only view Karond Kar in passing. They could always stop there on their return journey should they need to, and if they were still ahead of schedule then Blackthorn would not be expecting them back so soon and they would perhaps get away with the delay.

The other Corsairs, Karith and his crew, were happy to continue sailing out onto the open ocean as well, however the real problem was then to come. The Corsairs were expecting them to turn north and follow the coast, in search of some non existent treasure the group had won them over with the story of. In reality, the group had to continue south-east until they came to an area of treacherous waters Varin had mapped for them, and there hide the golden tablet they were carrying on one of the more inhospitable and inaccessible islands. The expertise and service of the Corsairs had been useful so far, but now the mercenaries had learned enough that they could take control of the ship and, under Caraoc and Casaythes' guidance, still make it back in one piece. If Karith and his men showed any signs of suspicion they were hiding it well, but it was unusual for a Druchii to be completely trustworthy so they still had to watch their backs and be careful when discussing their next move.

The strong wind continued to carry them right up until they left the bay, finding a clear route through the incoming and outgoing traffic after a little bit of tactical manoeuvring by Caraoc. As they passed the edge of the bay they joined the closest shipping lane, following a number of other raiding vessels out eastwards to deeper waters, where their path began to curve northwards as the coast shrunk from view on the horizon behind them. As they left Karond Kar, they could hear the screams of the slaves going in on the wind, along with the cackle of circling harpies and the lashing of slavers' whips. The vessels heading into the bay were bottlenecked into one small corridor of water, where they were stopped and searched and their plunder counted. The taxes of the Witch King and indeed those of the City of Karond Kar itself would see most ships stripped of the majority of their plunder before they were allowed to pass, but a fate far worse than being short changed awaited those that tried to sail around and slip through the net of ships that waited in the waters beyond. Ship-hunting vessels were poised like waiting Nauglir, their reapers armed and ready to fire at a moments notice.

Fortunately for them, the group did not have to face such threats until they made their return, and coming back empty handed they would only be shamed by the slave counters before being allowed to sail back through to Vikarh.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<OOC. Sympathy with you in your mourning time. >
IC.

Past Karond Kar, Casaythe felt less tense.
The course chosen by Caraoc was consistent with the story told to Karith and his mates. However, that course could not be sustained too long before it would delay them unreasonably.
Caraoc discussed with Casaythe during the fist night shift about the plans for the four unwanted corsairs.
There were going to pass during the next day near the Cove of Harpyfeast.
That was a good opportunity - and the last good one - to leave the four corsairs.
Caraoc and Elysian could go for fresh water with three of the corsairs. Elysian could help dissimulate the two mercenaries taking the boat alone and going back to the ship.
The last of their mates remaining aboard would understand easily how better it was to swim to his comrades than remain on the ship.

Caraoc was confident that this treatment would be considered reasonable by any corsair's standard.

Manoeuvering. Plotting.