The group 34 OOC thread > basically dead

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

"druchii moneys" are now name druchast, congratulations to Cal for winning the naming competition your prize is the satisfaction of a job well done.

For trips to the markets (this one if you so choose to go, and future ones), if you want to write a little fluffy post, then tell me what your looking for and I (with the help of the all-powerful modding dice tm) will decide whether its there or not, to be honest unless you ask for something quite outlandish there will probably be something close to what you're looking for.
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Are we expecting any newcomer?
Some characters are waiting for a group, but their availability might not be up to date:
krau27's female shade (ex Gr31, no post for a long time),
Nightcall's female death mage (Gr38's mod, Gr22),
Kensou's fire mage (ex Gr19, rarely seen),
Sim2k's warrior (corsair) (Gr36),
Jcitalia4's shadow Khainite (Gr38).
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

If you would like to look back on the last page you will find the answer to all your questions Cal
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

smiler666 wrote:And depending on the (increasingly unlikely) event of Darkdoom's return there will definitely be one or two more characters being roped in, at the moment I'm considering Kensou - coz y'know... mage; sim2k - because I like beastmasters and mini has quite selfishly ignored my hint with the ratata :lol: ; or Jcitalia - mostly because he asked and also his background would fit well with Gareth.
Since you posted that, Gr38 has started.
No change for Kensou and Sim2k. Would be double RPG for Jcitalia4 but that's not a problem.
So which one (or two)?

I asked the question cause Cal hasn't much to do in any homeland city.
Might well introduce to whoever needs to.

-=-=-

Thanks for "job well done", I had completely forgotten about that...
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

currently I am thinking sim2k and mebey kensou if he's still around, I will be PMing them this later this afternoon. Happy now :P
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Kensou= fire mage
Sim2k= warrior (corsair)
Whoever will be able to meet with Cal in the mar't.
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Wow, you two have been busy - hope I'm not interrupting anything :P

Personally, I think Sin2k would be a good addition, since the G36 mod is currently AWOL (why I had Nathra join G38 instead) and the other 'players' already have a group or are also AWOL.

Well, Kayla still has the cache of stolen jewellery to sell, which I hope will provide her with some additional funds towards her new suit of armour. Aside from a helmet, though, it won't change her equipment, just her appearance.

Maybe she could have her current suit adjusted to the new look?? And just buy the helmet to complete the set??

Calisson wrote:She's still not Cali'Shad's cup of tea. ;)
Nice effort, though, from my own perspective.

Surely even Calis could agree that Kayla is not totally unattractive ;)

I dread to think just what his 'cup of tea' is - all sorts of... innapropriate things come to mind, haha (and I like my nightmares just the way they are :roll: )
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

MiniGrift wrote:Surely even Calis could agree that Kayla is not totally unattractive ;)

I dread to think just what his 'cup of tea' is - all sorts of... innapropriate things come to mind, haha (and I like my nightmares just the way they are :roll: )
Calis'Shad could agree indeed that Kayla is not unattractive.
Just be patient and leave him enough months at sea in a male-only ship. ;)

If you want a hint about Calis'Shad's cup of tea, here's a tentative link.
Beware, after clicking on this link, your nightmares might not be the same. :lol:
http://www.episodeseason.com/digital-art/hot-elves.html
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Well, that's that particularly twisted fantasy well and truly shattered, thank you, Calisson :evil:

Joking 8)

Glad that Khitai has better sense and working eyesight!

Some lovely elven maidens on that page there and I am sure Calis has excellent taste, not so much my cup of tea though - I prefer my ladies rather more voluptuous ;)

By the way, Smiler, your mod post still isn't finished. I'm sure you know this already. Perhaps we'll have another by the morning - here's hoping :)
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

last modpost finished, invitational PMs away. Hopefully sim2k and/or kensou will respond over the weekend and then I'll weave them into the narrative and do a shopping modpost :)
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Assani, Smiler, (and any new peeps that join us) you guys should have a look too :D

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/M ... CN0490.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f29/M ... CN0487.jpg

Just waiting for the next mod post now ;)
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Cool Mini. But you know I love you either way :oops: ;)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

looking swish there Mini. Looking increasingly scary there Assani :)

But anyways, Kensou is joining our illustrious group, but sim2k has responded with resounding silence, so the next modpost will come once our newest member has told me how he wants to arrive in the RP.
Opus vos liberaverit
Kensou
Black Guard

Post by Kensou »

Hey,

I'm happy to announce I will be joining this group. As I've told Smiley, I may have some trouble responding in a timely fashion, but it will usually be within 3 days, 5 days at most.

Also, as a precaution, I would like you to know that Ignat is arrogant beyond belief. While mostly I don't think this will be a problem, please do note I bear none of you any ill will. It is just the way Ignat is.

Greetz,

Kensou
Name: Ignat (Group 39)
Class: Mage
Stats: WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Staff, Short Sword, Robe.
Skills: Power of Aqshy(1), Defensive Fighting.
Inventory: Pendant
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Kensou, welcome to Group 34. :D

Kensou wrote:Also, as a precaution, I would like you to know that Ignat is arrogant beyond belief.
Don't worry, mate.
After the hard time we had to domesticate one of our wild member, anything will seem smooth in comparison! ;)
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Assani, um, well, that's... good to know... I guess... :shock:

Welcome to the group, Kensou! You should check out the two links in my previous post. Might be interesting for you 8)
Last edited by Minigrift on Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Hey Kensou, welcome to our fabulous g34 8)

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Cal - aside from the inherent distaste of druchii for the coinage of other races, a Bretonnian Crown is slightly smaller than a Druchii Druchast. Depending on who you are trading with and how well you negotiate the exchange rate can be anywhere between 1 Crown = 1/3 Druchast to 1 Crown = 3/4 Druchast. If you want I can write up a full list of exchange rates for all races currency :)

Also, belayed welcome to the group Kensou, have fun.
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Smiler,

Realistically, what are Kayla's chances to get her desired new set of armour?

She'll have 200-220 druchast, plus her old set to trade - greaves, gauntlets, paulldrons (which would fetch a pretty sum, I hope) plus a somewhat torn and tattered chain-mail shirt. She also has the red-silk Bretonnian dress, I, however, was hoping she could keep that for any future 'romantic moments' that may occur :twisted:

Oh, by the way, just in case you've had a looksee already, I've edited my IC post.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

@ Smiler666
If a crown = +/- half druchast,
then 219 crowns & 100 druchast = ~ 210 druchast.
Good to know. Thanks.

-=-=-
smiler666 wrote:OOC: Cal - not entirely sure what "Now, if you believe that a leather armour is worth 300 druchasts, I'm eager to sell you quite a few. I can even make them 200 for you. How many would you buy at that price?" means, I assume you are offering 200 druchast for the armour.
Depending on local habits, bargaining can get you anywhere between -10% off the initial price, to -90% off (yes, it happens, sometimes even better).
When you don't know, the easiest way to determine what % can be taken away is to have the merchant make a second bet after the first one.
As a rule of the thumb, if 2nd bet = -x% less than 1st bet, the lower you can hope to bargain is down to another -x% less than 2nd bet.
To be adjusted with several factors:
- if there are many competitors, easier bargain
- if the merchant needs more to sell than you need to buy, easier bargain
- if you desperately need the object, hard bargain
- if you can wait and come the next day, then wait again and come next week, much easier bargain
- if the merchant quickly and spontaneously drops the price, easier bargain
- if the merchant tells you "last price" or "find another merchant", harder bargain
- if the merchant is the shop owner, he can bargain more than a simple employee.
- With the merchant's attitude, you see if you're reaching a hard limit or if the merchant has still a comfortable margin.
- of course, one's own bargaining/theater/poker skills matter a lot.

"if you believe that a leather armour is worth 300 druchasts, I'm eager to sell you quite a few. I can even make them 200 for you",
I suggested that at 300, nobody would buy, everybody would sell.
I suggested that even at 200, I would still sell rather than buy (i.e. my own "-x%" is greater than -33%).
The meaning of Calis' suggestion was that IMO, a reasonable price was lower than 200 (i.e. I told that I expected an "-x%" around -50%, meaning that I would have not been surprised to have the merchant reply 150, and to end up making a deal at 100 after hard bargaining).

The result of that suggestion was that
- the merchant got angry (bad sign, merchants are supposed to be the customer's best friend - therefore my -33% is too harsh)
- however, he immediately agreed to go as low as 200 (good sign - therefore the price can drop a little bit more).

With this evaluation, I can determine that this particular merchant could go as low as 180 maybe, and still make a profit, but that would require several days of bargaining. At 150, probably he would not make a living anymore, and certainly not a confortable one, so that's out of scope.

Conclusion:
The "-x%" factor in this market for these goods seems to be around -22.5%, i.e. final price = -40% off initial price, i.e. the merchant would accept 60% of his initial bet.
Cal expects a lowest fair price for a good quality leather armour to be around 180. That kind of price cannot be obtained publicly among people who don't know each other, though.
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Thank you for your essay on haggling Cal, though this:

Calisson wrote:"if you believe that a leather armour is worth 300 druchasts, I'm eager to sell you quite a few. I can even make them 200 for you",
I suggested that at 300, nobody would buy, everybody would sell.
I suggested that even at 200, I would still sell rather than buy

was the only information I was asking for as the fact you were talking about selling was jumped to quickly which made your (or Calis's) intentions unclear.

Also, your conclusion:

Calisson wrote:The result of that suggestion was that
- the merchant got angry (bad sign, merchants are supposed to be the customer's best friend - therefore my -33% is too harsh)
- however, he immediately agreed to go as low as 200 (good sign - therefore the price can drop a little bit more).

is incorrect. The first merchant (the one you were currently bargaining with) got angry, called you a barbarian, and demanded that you leave; the second merchant (the one who had been mocking the first merchant) then offered you the armour for 200 druchast. As such you may want to edit your IC post.

As a side note I would suggest that when you talk to people you assume they have at least a basic knowledge of the subject being discussed, as it is much more polite to assume knowledge in the reader then extrapolate if they do not understand than explain something they may already know to them, since people can find that quite irritating

@Mini - well, your armour would be worth about half value (as it has been worn through years of use and is damaged from the most recent mission), and medium armour ranges from 300-400 druchast, so you are in with a reasonable chance of getting a suit of medium armour and you may be able to afford some cheap heavy armour or your med armour and a fancy helmet.
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Good to know, Smiler, thanks :)

It's just her chain-shirt that is ripped and torn, the other pieces of armour are largely undamaged (but may still have a new nicks and scrapes, nothing that a good armourer couldn't fix). It's strange that I'm enjoying Kayla's shopping experience, even if she isn't!

smiler666 wrote:As a side note I would suggest that when you talk to people you assume they have at least a basic knowledge of the subject being discussed, as it is much more polite to assume knowledge in the reader then extrapolate if they do not understand than explain something they may already know to them, since people can find that quite irritating

Couldn't have said it better myself ;)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ah, my bad.
I did not realized that " the second moment called across" meant the second merchant. I did not even realize that the first merchant demanded that Calis'Shad left. English is not my first language.
Edited my post accordingly.

-=-=-

About assumed knowledge, we had earlier some misunderstandings which resulted in hard times clearing things back.
The conclusion at that time, IIRC, was to incite to a better use of the OOC thread.
Sorry if I look pedantic, that's not the intention.

Anyway, the basic knowledge that we are all missing is how much bargaining is the norm in that city, or what is a regular price for what we are looking for.
I was only explaining how I was coming to conclusions (based on wrong understanding, actually).

-=-=-

Medium armour ranges from 300-400 druchast.
If so, then would a leather armour be expected to be worth anything around 100 druchast?
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

very sorry, the last modpost was done on my mobile so I can only assume that autocorrect did it's usual magic and put whatever word it felt like in place of the one I meant. That has now been fixed.

Average leather armour can be worth 100-200 druchast depending on whose hide it is made of and how well made it is.

I'll add a list of gear prices and exchange rates to the first post of the IC thread for future reference.
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Smyley-man :D

Just have a few questions about our use of NPC's. Asking now because in my next post Kayla might be asking the merchant lot's of questions about the armour she is going to purchase. It would obviously be inconvenient for her to ask, wait for you to answer, her to ask, wait for an answer etc. So would I be allowed to 'act' the merchant while she asks all her questions?

For example, she'll ask about the Galerus (shoulder armour) and Manica (protective arm wrap), and she won't have the first idea what these things are, but the merchant will.

She might also 'test' the armour if that's alright - don't worry, won't be breaking anything ;)

You'll, of course, still be in full control of any bargaining/haggling/selling that goes on!

Also, at some future point in the RP when our characters get some time to themselves, Kayla might want to go somewhere and do fun things. Basically, it would involve Kayla just having some fun and me writing a little story about what she gets up to in her spare time - and you may feel uncomfortable modding such a scene :twisted:

So, in these sorts of situations when our characters aren't doing 'strictly RP related stuff' are we allowed to control NPC's?

Calisson, my good man, just to expand a bit on something Smiler said (quoted it in my last post). 8)

An English teacher of mine once said to me: "In the pursuit of knowledge, the only stupid question is one that goes unasked."

Given that line of logic, do you not think that if we fail to understand something, or if we seek knowledge on something, that we might simply ask for an explanation or extra details to 'fill the gap' in our knowledge?

On several occasions I got the distinct impression that you think I don't know anything about anything (yes, that is very likely wrong, but that is still how I felt). So, instead of assuming that I 'lack knowledge' and insisting on explaining things to me like I am a total moron, why not just have a little faith in me and assume that I know what I am doing and have, at the very least, some clue of what I am talking about. A little faith can go a long way ;)

That applies to all of us - even MiniGrift!

Just this once, Calisson, please do me a favour. Take what I have said in the spirit in which it was meant - don't go reading between the lines that only exist in your head. :roll:

Hope you like this little rant, this amusing, no?

I have faith that Smiler knows what he is doing, even if, at times, he isn't quite as coherent as he could be (usually blames his mobile :lol: ). I have faith that Calisson knows what he is doing, even if, at times, his English isn't quite dictionary standard (but I still understand him well enough, so do not need to ask for explanations :P ). I have faith that Assani knows what he is doing, even if, at times, he declares his undying love for me (which I find quite scary :oops:). I have faith that Kensou knows what he is doing, even if, and there will be times, our characters won't get along (though, Kayla does find his scars quite lovely :shock: ). I have faith that MiniGrift knows what he is doing, even if, at times, he refers to himself in the third person (MiniGrift does have to live with himself, after all :? ).