Raneth
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Raneth »

IC:
Name: Mako Al'Yrinae
Profession: Sword-for-hire
Stats: WS4 S5 T4 D3 I2
Equipment: light armour, (t)rusty sword, spiky shield
Skills: shield bash (hitting > blocking)
End location: AUCTION HOUSE

Business seemed to be slow at the Harbor; he hadn't even got so much as a response. Mako decided to backtrack to the Auction House he'd come across earlier, hoping the rich of the town could be found there. Perhaps one of them would have a need afor a good sword-arm.

When he arrived there was a large, bird-like creature in the process of being sold. Looking at the beast, Mako found it hard to imagine even wanting to have a thing like that around. Perhaps it was a delicacy, when done right?

Mako keeps his eye out for wealthy and distressed individuals, trying to fix a gig as bodyguard.
Vryala Naïlo - WS5 / S5 / T5 / D5 / I4

Equipment: bastard sword of Speed, shield of Defence, repeater (20/20), spear, mace, dagger, Armour of Night, SDC, whip, blowpipe (9/12)
Inventory: amulet of Strength, grapple, grenade x0, smoke x11, map, mage hand, sleep oil x8, cure balms x20, Yori's balms x1, winter gear, old kit, lion mask
Mount: Dark Steed (Blanky), barding, talisman of Protection
Gold: 1735
Skills: Defensive Fighting, Anarin Sarath (2), Basic Ride
Class: Warrior
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

IC: Name: Illim
Profession: local beastmaster
Equipment: various stabby things and a scourge
End-post location: the auction house

Illim stared at the 'priest' in complete bewilderment, how did this incompetent manage to evade being thrown in the cauldron at birth. Fight single combat with a cockatrice? And I suppose he trains by fighting manticores with toothpicks. This fool would probably be daft enough to... Illim quickly reorganised his face into a look of pained contemplation and began to um and ah as though making a difficult decision before finally responding, "you drive a hard bargain sir, but it's obvious I cannot hope to compete with the resources of the temple. I suppose I must agree to your proposal. Actually I think I have just the thing for someone of your stature." Illim extended a hand to shake on the deal with the khainite.

OOC: It's actually 12 gold to the beastmaster that's winning the bid Nightcall

Oops! Thanks Smiler. amended!
Opus vos liberaverit
Warlord arskittar
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Warlord arskittar »

Name: Malacoris
Profession: Priest of Khaine
Equipment: Light Armour, Driach, Black Cloak, Pendant of Khaine

Malacoris turned slightly, so he faced Illim, and nodded his head. "The Temple of Khaine thanks you, your compliance will be remembered. This cockatrice will make for good blood-letting in the glorious name of the Bloody handed god. First, it will be taken back to Har Ganeth, and fed, and grown, then we will place it in the combat pits, so it may fight for the glory of our god." Malacoris threw the purse of coins to the Auction master, who caught it with ease, and nodded his thanks at the Khainite. Malacoris, ensuring that the Cockatrice would be delivered to Har Ganeth finally turned again to speak to Illim.

"What exactly is it you have 'in mind' for the temple Master Illim?" he asked suspciously "The Temple is always in need of fresh recuits, perhaps you have considered joining me?" he looked at the assortment of vicious blades around Illims waste and nodded his approval "You do look, well prepared for bloodletting?"
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Profession: Local beastmaster
Equipment: Various stabby things and a scourge

Illim interrupted the khainite before he could get into his speech properly, "you misunderstand friend, I am willing to offer you a replacement for the cockatrice. An adversary worthy of such an obviously powerful warrior and one that will be ready for death night, or even tonight if you like. What say you?" The khainite continued to offer him a place in the temple, to anyone else Illim's answer would have been a flat refusal but it pays to dust off the tact when speaking to high-ups in the temple, "unfortunately I must decline, I have responsibilities that tie me to Vikhar." And I'm not a raving lunatic to throw my life away for the sake of some far-off uncaring master.
Opus vos liberaverit
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Name: Cab’um “Nimby” Smith - Profession: smith & mad scientist.
Equipment: smith’s hammer & strangely bent knives - dirty smith's dress.
End-post location: Weaponsmith forge.

-=-=-

In the Weaponsmith's Workshop.

The late weaponsmith was being dragged by his neighbor’s apprentice, out of the explosion scene to the coal bunkers.

The apprentice’s master, a smith in sleeping attire, spotted two Druchii who had come to the devastated forge.
There was a city guard, in the familiar uniform, with a broken sword in the hands.
And there was a strange foreigner, as tall and skinny as the smith was large and bulky. He had dark tousled hair and fixed wide open dark reddish eyes. His hands and face showed burns, bruising and few small scars, although none seemed any recent. His sturdy dresses were of ordinary facture and presented many burns, but obviously not recent enough to have been caused by the explosion. The hammer he was carrying at the belt was obviously made for a forge's work, but the smith’s expert eye immediately noticed the odd sharp edge and the acute extremity, which denoted either some fancy specialization or a foreign fashion. That elf must have been familiar with the work of fire, as reflected by the calm with which he was observing the scenery of doom.

The smith interrogated the two Druchii: 'Who the bloody hell are you, and what do you want this time of night?'
The guard wasn’t saying anything, stunned with his ruined sword in the hands.
An elegant bride of Khaine appeared and told to the stranger, about the guard: "Well, this man is in need of a smith".
When he realized that the newcomer was in improbable company of a maibd, the smith opened a wide maw and wondered what was going on.

-=-=-

Unbothered by the question, Cab’um started to inspect the premises.

The blast had cleaned the hearth from all the tools and metal bits which were likely to rest there. Most of them were scattered around. Some of them could still be in the weaponsmith’s body.
The hod had been slightly chipped, but its structure was strong. Next to the heath, the anvil had fallen upside down. The bellows were broken, but could be fixed.
The room was soaked and dirty, garbage everywhere. In a corner, a pile of metallic scrap was obviously used as spare parts. Another corner had piles of wood, a few logs still barely smoking.
Various weapons in diverse states of achievement were lying together carelessly. Cab’um examined a couple of them. They were showing little proficiency and no elegance, their cutting edge would obviously require some work quite often.

-=-=-

Satisfied with the inspection, Cab’um came back to the group of Druchii.
He looked at the smith in the eyes, and, finally, answered the question.

Hi, colleague. Let me introduce myself. I arrived today from Karond Kar.
Call me Cab’um. Nice to meet you.
I’m glad not to have met your colleague. Viewing his work, he was obviously nowhere any close to the perfection that our art allows for the gifted.

I am convinced that this forge has guessed about my coming. It rejected its pitiful former master.
I did hear the call! Ha ha ha ha ha!
Fine with me. That’s a good forge. Able to resist the occasional blast. I’m sure that this forge and me will go well along together.

At the moment, I have some pressing work that I need to start tomorrow.
Are there any silver bars somewhere? That’s for three chalices.
I'd need also two diamonds and two rubies, about that size.

Going at the door, shouting at the apprentice.
See in the entrails if you find pliers or metal files.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Carathyle maveric
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Carathyle maveric »

Name : Illirith
Profession : Female Devotee of Khaine

"You spies are all the same. Picking the city with most renown to use as a cover. You were acting fishy, claiming to be a priest of Khaine, but all know Khaine has no priests. Only Assassins, and Executioners. You might fool someone with claiming to be from Har Ganeth." Illirith spoke, slowly drawing the enchanted longsword strapped around her waist. "But you happen to cross path's with the daughter of a High Priestess from the Great Temple of Khaine in Har Ganeth. I know it like the back of my hand, I know all devotee's, all Witch Elves and all executioners. But you, I do not recall. As much as you might claim to be a priest, I grew up in the temple, taught to kill and sacrifice. You are foolish to present yourself so easily." Her shield, taken off of her back by her left hand, was held calmly by her side.

Carathyle Maveric:(Group 28 Warrior)
Ws:5 S:4 T:3 D:4 I:3
Equipment:
Enchanted* Obsidian Long sword, MC Light armour, Dark Steed(Sephirah), Shield, MC Longbow(89 arrows), 56 Circlets, Maibed Dagger, Asur Spear and Disguise.
Skills: Ride, Acrobatics
*Increased Strength, holds the soul of his father
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Mod post

It is now late in the evening. Oil lamps and candles illuminate the windows of those that wish to be seen to be awake, whilst the wealthier residents enjoy their evening's pursuits by witchlight. The stores and workshops have long since closed for business, whilst the establishments peddling wine and entertainment are becoming busier. In the Iron Gauntlet tavern, wagers are being placed on a pit fight. In the dark streets the wind carries the odd flurry of snow from the north.

Weaponsmith's Workshop

The smith regained his wits, and returned his gaze to the foreign fellow. 'Cab'um eh?' He looked the Druchii up and down. The stranger seemed to know a thing or two about the trade, or at least claimed to. It was not an ideal situation, but the best had to be made of it.

'Hanir was working on a sword repair for a guard, due for collection on the morrow. The fool had run up debts with the tavern on the harbourside. He worked all hours to repay them. Took on too many orders if you ask me. Not that it did him any good.' With that, he bellowed a laugh.

'I suppose you could say we have a vacancy. We'll see if you're any good.' he said as he folded his arms. 'I'm going back to bed.'

He ignored the requests for silver and gemstones as he trudged his way back to his quarters, mumbling under his breath, 'Do I look like a bloody jeweller?'

Auction House

The auction master snatched the coin purse out of the air, and raised a brow once he had counted the coins. 'Twenty gold to the priest. Do we have twenty two?'

Tension was rising. Some of the punters made their way out, done for the night. A few remained, conversations as ever, on edge. The barman was getting a headache.

((OOC: Calisson has now adopted the Weaponsmith's role.

Warlord Arskittar, Carathyle - According to the Malus novels, there are male priests within Har Ganeth's temple, including it's inner council (before most of them are assassinated!). For the sake of this RPG, I will allow Priests of Khaine, whether they serve the Temple or be zealots. Keep up the wiliness, I am enjoying the tension. :) ))
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Warlord arskittar
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Warlord arskittar »

Malacoris rounded on the she elf, and drew his Driach. "You are a fool indeed to challenge an anointed of Khaine, I will bathe in your blood she-elf, and feast upon your still beating heart! he growled with barely contained fury. "I am a Priest of Khaine, one of his chosen acolytes, a blade in the lord of murders claw. Withdraw your statement, or prepare to reciece the only forgiveness given by Khaine, the forgiveness granted by the blessed release of death.

Spreading his legs, his sword held ready, Malacoris waited, either the she-self would retract the statement, or she would receive the mercy of Khaine, the Bloody handed god, and the Lord of Murder.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

-=-=-

Cab'um was rubbing his shiny thumbnails with great enthusiasm.
Let's clean out this mess.
He started piling scrap in a methodic way.
Metallic scrap here, wooden scrap there, rubbish scrap elsewhere.
There would be sub-piles for sorting out useful scrap from less useful one. Scrap was sorted by composition, size, colour, shape, weight. Also by urgency, usefulness, destination, ease to use, and redundancy.
Piles were becoming more and more numerous, and more and more confusing for anyone not familiar with Cab'um methods, i.e. everybody.
The smallest pile had a single object: Hanir's hand.

-=-=-

As he was busy, Cab'um told at Khelandria:
Come back tomorrow with your skulls.
Bring two pounds of silver or electrum.
Three pairs of gemstones would be great for the eyes.
Best would be diamonds for the highborn, brilliant and showing not the slightest colour; carbuncle, on the other hand, would be of relevant status.
Rubise for the warrior, are appropriate for showing untrusted company; toadstone would be well in the symbol, despite the colour being slightly less satisfying.
Saphire should be adequate for Azur, unless you wish to keep it void; or opal, that ever changing colour would show well the shift from Azur to here.
I should be able to make one skull per day.
Your husband will be satisfied.

He had totally forgotten about the guard and his broken sword, due for the next day.

-=-=-

After all the scrap formerly scattered all around had been piled in some way, Cab'um emptied all the furniture from anything which was stored inside.
New piles were made for different bottles of liquid, scrolls, tools, hardware, food, clothes.
Then, furniture too was piled in new columns.

-=-=-

When Cab'um became confident that he had inventoried everything that could be held in the forge, he replaced it back, in his own, methodic and maniacal way.
Instead of piles of scrap, there were now impeccable piles of cleverly arranged scrap.

-=-=-

Gut!
His next task was to repair the bellows.
That would take some time because he kept having new ideas about where and how to place his tools.
Indeed, most tools already available were conventional for a forge, but conventional he was not.
He needed his own tools. Anyone lacking poetic imagination would think that the tools he was progressively assembling were fancy, bizarre, eccentric, possibly weird.
But he had a use for each of them. And even a name. That nobody else could understand (neither the name, nor the use).

-=-=-

Sorting and arranging everything took Cab'um the whole night.
In the early morning, a newcomer would find Cab'um fallen asleep next to the cooling hearth, sleeping like a baby, sucking Hanir's thumb.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Profession: Local beastmaster
Equipment: Various stabby things and a scourge

Illim looked from the witch elf to the priest then to the bag of gold in the auctioneer's hand to the sack of whimpering beast and back to the priest, who was now stood with his back to Illim. "I think, friend, I have found what I have in mind for the temple," and with that Illim whipped his whip from his belt and whipped it toward the priest's wrist which it whipped around and bit into, holding itself in place to keep the khainites arm - and more importantly weapon - still. Illim called to the handful of druchii still in the auction house, "quick. Get this imposter before he further besmirches the good name of the temple." There's no harm in trying to call out some good Samaritan who's willing to help a guy kill off the opposition.

OOC: That's what Illim intends to do anyway, but what actually happens is up to you Nightcall
Opus vos liberaverit
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

((OOC: Carathyle, Smiler, & Warlord - Things may move to violence soon the way things are going. Smiler is trying to restrain Warlord's character from harming Carathyle's character. It would be easier to GM if you all settled the situation verbally, but I am quite prepared to step in with tighter GMing if you wish to fight. If this is the case, write a descriptive post with what you intend, and I shall roll a dice to determine if you are successful or not. I will go into more detail if you choose this path. Also, Smiler... have you given up on the cockatrice?))
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

OOC: I was actually trying to give Cara a clear shot at Arskittar... but I like your version better Nightcall :)
Opus vos liberaverit
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Name : Khelandria Skulltaker
Profession : Bride of Khaine

Sorry for the short OOC post, but Nightcall, do we have a Temple of Khaine or a shrine or any kind of building? If not then I shall make for the Bloodied Blade, I think that was the inn, in a proper post to follow :)

Sorting and arranging everything took Cab'um the whole night.
In the early morning, a newcomer would find Cab'um fallen asleep next to the cooling hearth, sleeping like a baby, sucking Hanir's thumb.

Quite the most fittingly disturbing thing I have ever read on this whole site in nearly three years ... Congratulations, Calisson! :D Once I find out where Khelandria is staying she'll be back to wake Cab'um with her strange desires for non-flowery, non-cuckoo-filled skulls that don't play happy tunes ... ;)
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

((OOC: Smiler, Warlord - I'll give Carathyle until Thursday and if he hasn't posted by then I shall move things along for you.

Raneth - Doesn't look like anyone's after a bodyguard at the moment. If you would like me to GM something for you, please PM me.

Syjahel - I haven't included a Temple as I modelled it on a smaller town, not a city. I am sure there would be shrines to Khaine scattered around the place though. ;) ))

Mod, Group 38
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Location : Forge -->The Bloodied Blade Inn --> ending at the Forge

Khelandria watched as the Smith worked, wreathed in smoke from the still-warm ashes. There was a delightful scent of blood in the air, but the tang was faint and only sharpened her longing for bloodshed, rather than appeasing it.

The eccentric foreigner had a list of instructions for her to bring what was needed, and as he seemed to know what he was about she decided not to chastise him for his abrupt manner. Khelandria had an appreciation for the gifts of Vaul, but she did not understand them. The Smith God was not her beloved Lord, and so making any prayer to him at all would have felt like a strange combination of blasphemy and cheating. No, for this she needed someone who understood his ways, and Cab'um it seemed was the one Khaine had sent to her assistance. Truly, the ways of the Lord of Murder are strange but ever wondrous.

Khelandria took her skulls back to the room she'd hired at the Bloodied Blade, a little reminder of home in the name cold comfort when she longed for the sanctity of the temple, but for now it would suffice. After a refreshing night's sleep filled with dreams of slaughter and mayhem, she awoke and lost little time in returning to the smithy, keen to get the work underway.

After a moment of hesitation one of the apprentices - or at least, that was what Khelandria thought him to be - was persuaded to show her in to the forge, where it seemed the new master was sleeping. Stepping over one of the many piles of delicately organised spare parts, the Bride of Khaine beheld the sleeper, curled up as contended as a child after Death Night and as blissfully unaware of her presence. Settling back against one of the remaining beams, she considered waking Cab'um.

Instead she carefully set down her skulls in a small, equally-spaced triangle so that he would see them when he awoke. Having been provided with enough of the precious metal to get the job done, she arranged a neat stack of ingots in the centre, and after a moment's thought, she lifted the highborn Druchii's skull. Cradling it admiringly for a moment, lost in reminiscence of the glory to Khaine he had provided in his last fight, she sighed faintly and took two rubies from one of her pouches. Khelandria was a girl fond of tradition. She wasn't at all keen on some of Cab'um's gaudier suggestions, but in this case (and only this one) she'd go along with his idea about the ruby eyes.

Then, trusting the smith to remember their agreement, or else be reminded by the judicious placement of the crania, she strode out of the forge in search of breakfast.
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Mod post

The new day was welcomed by a chorus of terror inducing calls from the town's beast pens as the inky cloak of night was lifted by the weak sun, rising to the east. An unfortunate death had led to the employment of a new Weapon Smith, whilst in the auction house, a cockatrice hatchling had been bought out by a priest of Khaine, much to the ire of Vikarh's Beastmaster. Tensions had been high, and were it not for the intervention of the barman (now recovering in the Apothecary), the evening would not have ended well.

With only two more days until Death Night, preparations are being made. Slaves and unwanted relatives are being chosen as gifts to the Lord of Murder, whilst on each street corner, fresh skulls are added to small shrines. There is a festival atmosphere in the air, laced with fear.

((OOC - Seems the confrontation in the auction house reached a stalemate, so I have summed things up to allow you to move forwards.))

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

-=-=-

Cab’um snored a last time, yawned and awoke. Aaaaawah!
He discovered that he had been sleeping on the floor of an unfamiliar forge.
Macché, dove sono adesso ? Where in the world am I now?
All around, there were piles of tools, furniture, raw material, scrap – and food!
The way the piles had been methodically arranged reminded Cab’um that he had a strong responsibility in the room’s order.

Cab’um grabbed the first thing that could be eaten. That would do for breakfast.
Then he realized that he was still holding Hanir's hand. That brought him back all the memory of the previous night.

Good. Now it’s daytime, let’s place everything where it belongs. One spot for everything, one thing for every spot.
Be busy, therefore be happy! Arbeit macht froh!
Talking to Hanir's hand:
Thanks for giving me a hand. You’ll be my thing, now.

-=-=-

There was only one thing oddly misplaced: three skulls in a triangle, with some silver ingots in the centre. Two rubies were to be found as well.
Ach! That must be Khelandria.
It was very early for a work. Arbeit macht früh!

-=-=-

The whole morning barely sufficed for Cab’um to rearrange all the furniture in his way, then fill it with the tools he deemed satisfying for the high quality work he had in mind.
At noon, only half of the room was still occupied by methodic piles of… well of pretty much anything, in a logic impossible to understand for anyone else than Cab’um.

-=-=-

Now he was talking to the skulls.
Nice to meet you. How may I call you three? You won’t answer? So I’ve got to choose myself.
Let’s call you Galahad, you will be Lancelot, and for you, that will be… err… what about Gawain?

The perspective of working with them three exited him. His thumbs were becoming itchy.
We will have a good time together, my friends!

He knew how he would work on them.
The highborn, Gawain, would get the rubies for the eyes.
He knew exactly how to arrange the eyes and give the feeling that they were staring at whoever would look at them, in any direction, even if moving.

The other two would have no eyes, too bad but that seemed to be the customer's choice.
Customers always had the last word. Especially female ones. That was a reminiscence of Cab'um being raised in a country full of mammas.

As a highborn, Gawain was supposed to be deaf to the sorrow of his people. Cab'um intended to show that with elegant swirls of silver covering his earholes.

The warrior, Lancelot, had made some wrongdoing. He did not see his fate approaching.
His silver swirls would cover most of the eyes and discreetely remind that fact.

The last one was a foreign under-race. His fate was to be a slave. A slave has no word to say.
Silver swirls lightly enveloping the jaw would highlight that fate.

That would be nice.
Three skulls, one deaf, one blind, one mute.

Let's not forget about the cavity for maintaining the appropriate temperature.
Also, I'm sure that a device which would allow the hostess to add some poison at her chosen time would mostly please my customer, hee hee hee.
I hope she will soon come here so I can tell her about that genius improvement.
I wonder if she would want it for the three of them or only for one.
Oh, certainly for them three.
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

- Name: Khorvax
- Profession: Raven Herald of House Darkeye
- End Location: Unknown
- Equipment: a curved scimitar-like short sword, dagger and repeater handbow with only 2 remaining clips of ammunition. He carries a pouch that emits a strange fragrance.

He is clad as a dark rider: a thick midnight blue cloak, hardened leather and scant light armour - dark green/black in appearance. His cowl is a distinctly offset purple-red colour. His dark steed, Moonmane is stabled at the western entrance.

----------------------------------------

*a slither of multicoloured light split his vision in two: like being stood in a darkened room with a door open a crack to a room of pure, golden...*

*...and then it was gone, and Khorvax realised that darkness was all that remained...*

OOC: Sorry I've been offline for so long, will try to reply again but unlikely to be able to do so for the next 5 weeks due to very very busy studying schedule. Hopefully I can catch up and read what you creative types have been conjuring images of in the dark and haunted little town of Vikarh... ;)

All the best!
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

Khelandria made her way from the forge with a mental note to return later, once she'd got more of the measure of this little town, and once she'd located a shrine to her beloved God. Her bootheels clicked smartly over the cobbles as she breathed in the cool sea air; it was a bracing morning, or to those not native to the Land of Chill and blessed by Khaine, bloody freezing. She took a deep breath and exhaled, trying to picture whether she'd noticed any such places in the dark, or perhaps to see if she could sense the presence of her Lord's touch upon hallowed ground.

No such luck. Passing by a small shop with a number of early morning, unaccountably nervous customers she bought herself a small bag of whatever sugary pastries the seller had to offer and went on her way. Methodically quartering the streets, she tried one; to her surprise it oozed a sweet. red liquid as if wounded. Holding the cake up to the light to inspect it, it appeared that it had been artfully filled, though with jam. Khelandria found she approved of the confection. It reminded her just enough of a skull to put her in a good mood, and she had no idea yet just how much it was elevating her sugar levels.

[OOC sorry for the frivolous mood! :D Khelandria is intending to search the streets for a shrine to Khaine and check in on Cab'um mid-morning if nothing intervenes. Oh, and to eat doughnuts.]
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

OOC: Death Night any soon?
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

[OOC: Khelandria hopes so! :D I'll give it one more day then she'll make a visit to the forge to see how Cab'um's work is going. :) ]
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Syjahel
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Syjahel »

After a search of the streets and a number of the sticky, sugary treats the Witch E;f was pleased at last to find that this town wasn't altogether Khaine-forsaken. There was a small shrine to the Lord of Murder at the edge of the harbour, next to the barracks. Warriors always have need of the blessing of Khaine, so it was well-tended and smart enough to remind her of home, though of course it was not a temple.

Khelandria looked up at the forbidding stone facade and felt a surge of homesickness. Along with that, a rising desire to spill blood. Death Night was close, yet there were no fresh offerings on the altar. Frowning, she stepped up to the iron-stained stone, running a bare hand over the surface. The eerie resonance of the call to blood made her shiver, wishing she were bathed head to foot in the glorious crimson of battle. She took a deep, shuddering breath. Soon. Death Night was not far away, and then Khaine himself would look kindly on his Brides.

As Death Night approached, it would be timely to visit the smith and check that he had begun her work, and that he hadn't become distracted by some fancy or other. Khelandria did not want to to return to skulls decorated in some kind of delicate effervescence of the joys of spring; flower-wreathed chalices were more the province of other (and to her, lesser) gods. She took one last look around the shrine and caught the eye of a passing guard. An understanding passed between them without words. Here, now, he was safe to go about his business. In a few nights' time, the only law on the streets would be that of Khaine. Khelandria licked the point of one tooth meditatively. Time and death are intertwined, she mused; and death always wins. At the end of every life, there is Khaine.

Thus cheered she set off back through the winding streets to the forge, where it seemed from the signs of life that the smith had awoken. She tapped lightly on the door frame before striding in, pleased to see that Cab'um had arranged the skulls in his workshop in a manner that suggested his craft was about to get underway.

"Master Smith," she began, thinking to offer him one of the sugared confections, only to remember that she'd polished off the last of the addictive little skull-cakes, "it is good to see you awake and ready to begin. Have you everything you require, or are there other materials you will need?"
RIP Group 28
~ We Never Slept ~
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

-=-=-

Cab'um was at the forge, at work, at home.

The three skulls were on a dresser, near the hearth. They were all heading towards the same direction, with a regular spacing.
On each of them, intricate charcoal lines indicated where silver interlacing would appear.
An attentive observer would notice that despite the drawings belonging to the same style, elegant with its sober spines, each skull was intended to get a specific design.

One of the skulls had two rubies stuck with mud, deep in the eye cavities.
Swirls were drawn mostly on the sides, up to the ear holes.

The skull with the scar had interlacing reaching the orbits.
The spiny swirls made a sort of thin tatoo around the scar, with the effect of both highlighting the scar and helping to integrate it in the general rythm of the bone shapes.

The last skull had the densest lines, mostly on the jaws.

In front of the skulls were aligned a dozen of tiny tools, obviously designed to sculpt hot metal and create precision jewelry.
These tools were all set perpendicular to the edge of the piece of furniture, at even intervals.

-=-=-

Cab'um was warming a silver bar in a small pan.
He heard that someone was coming in.
He shouted: Don't move anything!
After making sure that the silver bar would progressively boil as desired, he turned towards the intruder. That was Khelandria.
Oh, that's you?
What I need is not to be disturbed. How could I work if I have to stop all the time for futile talks?
Anyway, while you're here, I can tell you what I'm about to do.

And that was the start of a lenghty conversation.

Cab'um opened the door wide, in order to get the most of the dim light available, and remained near the entrance.
He proceeded to explain in which way he would highlight the natural beauty of the skulls with thin lacework of silver, rich of symbols.
He explained how the gemstone eyes, deep in the bottom of the orbits, would provide the feeling that the skull was staring at whoever would look at it, from any direction.

-=-=-

Then he told his customer about the genius idea he had to upgrade the chalices.
That was a small pocket which could be filled with poison - or not, according to the needs.

In the former High Elf skull, an invisible mechanism would position the pocket open or closed, depending on the position of the jaw.
That would allow the priestess to drink safely herself from the skull, then to give it to an unsuspecting victim as poison blended with blood, mechanism unlocked.
That was the "Mimic me if you dare" mechanism.

In the scarred skull, no intervention would be required from the priestess.
The mere fact of leaning the chalice while drinking the first time, and restoring it to verticality, would trigger the secret mechanism for the next guest.
That was the "First in, last out" mechanism.

The skull with the rubies was even more complex: one pocket for the poison, one pocket for the antidote.
It required two triggering mechanisms, concealed in each ear holes. Better have a priestess able to tell her right from her left.
That would allow selective choice of the victim.
The greatest benefit was that in case the priestess was forced afterwards to taste her brew, it would be safe to do so - pending the efficiency of the antidote, but that was no longer Cab'um's expertise.
This was "You're the chosen one" mechanism.

Alas, because of the complexity of the work with the pockets and the lack of time, the footings of the skulls would have to be left as simple as possible.

Actually, there is some material that I have not: trial material.
If you can get me some poison, some antidote, four slave guinea pigs and half a gallon of blood, that should be enough for you to learn how to make the best of the skulls.
I'm afraid all this material would be, err, used in the process.
Otherwise, we can instead try the skulls ourselves, using some non-deadly, bad-tasting ersatz.

-=-=-

At this point of the conversation, the silver in the pan started to boil and drops of silver were ejected.
Cab'um shouted at the silver: Ruhig sein! You stay there, I'm not done with you!
Khelandria had the strange feeling that the silver obeyed Cab'um and hid back into the pan.

-=-=-

Cab'um abruptly changed topics.
As you're here, let me introduce you to my former colleague and present accomplice, Hanir. You can shake hand.
He showed the lone hand remaining from the former smith.
Unfortunately, I have no talent for taxidermy. Do you happen to know how it could be stuffed so that I could keep him for a long time?

-=-=-

OOC: Vikarh rather idle at the moment.
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

((OOC - planning on having Death Night in 2 days' time (RP wise). So one we've got a few more posts I can move the time along ;) ))

Mod, Group 38
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

<OOC
Am I the last survivor in Vikarh?
<fading echo>
Vikarh?
Vikarh?
Vikarh?
Vikarh?
Vikarh?