Group 38 - Chapter 3 - Darkness Awaits

Where the RPGs take place

Moderator: The Makers of Chains

Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Umbra barely contained the urge to spit in the General's face, from the edge of the rise the General's voice was an unwelcome reminder of bad times past, up close and directed towards him personally it's arrogance and unsubtle mocking made Umbra's gorge rise. "Be assured that the one that calls himself Cade, is already getting what he deserves. As too shall this alluring female of which you speak. Find her, and bring her to me," Umbra forced hisself to bow as he was dismissed with nothing more than a waved hand and snarled silently as soon as he had turned away. Umbra aimed hisself towards where the druchii were bunking down for the night as though to seek out the winged shade, cursing violently under his breath, but as soon as he disappeared below the incline Umbra looked for something that at least seemed vaguely walled-in to bed down in for the night.

Umbra's eyes fell on a relatively thick forest beyond the General's position, it wasn't ideal but it was the best that was available in this forsaken countryside. Making sure to stay below the field of view of the hillock the General and his retinue was presumably still squatting on, Umbra made his way into the leafy sanctuary and began looking for somewhere to bed down for the night. It wasn't till he was stood almost directly underneath the female shade that she shifted slightly and Umbra jumped out of his skin, his mind flashed to the piercing green eyes and he shivered again, it took a good few minutes for him to regain enough control over his breathing to call up to the shade, "what you doing up there?"

Umbra will find somewhere less open to sleep and as if by magic find Nathra :)

OOC: Fancy a nice little chat to pass the time Mini?
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

After seeing the mockery the general had made of the warrior, Nathra felt she had made the right decision in not revealing herself. She wished for no place in the generals army, officially or otherwise, and she, being of noble birth, did not fall under his jurisdiction. From what she had garnered of the general, he would likely not see it that way, just as deluded and self-serving as all the rest of the druchii Nobility.

Last she heard her House was in disaray, with Naiden's retainers untangling the hierarchical web he had left behind and no one was fully in control of her fathers position since none had the badge of office to assert their claims - Nathra, however, did. And she was the last of the true Severains by decree of her royal blood, Nathra was the true heir of her fathers position and estate, but... That was fifty years ago. Does nothing ever change? Will there be...

Her thoughts were interrupted by a shocked and disparaged elf, as skinny as a rake and just as pretty to look at. She studied him for a few moments as he was just as startled to see her as she was to see him. Nathra remembered him from the battle where she had caught a few fleeting glances of him amongst the chaotic melee, and he had followed her to the generals hill. Now he had 'followed' her here.

Nathra's piercing, luminescent emerald eyes studied him for a time, before he mustered up the courage to speak to her. "What you doing up there?"

Eloquently put, well... "Sitting."

Answering the question.

OOC: Sure :D
Nathra Severain - Shade (Group 38)
WS:5 S:4 T:2 D:6 I: 3
Skills; Acrobatics; Basic Stealth; Free Running
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Inventory; Ornate Tiara; Sword Belt; Asuri Orb; 106 gold
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

IC: *suffering from lack of inspiration, so this is a poor post. You have been warned* those eyes. Umbra stared at the shade's answer for a moment with an eyebrow raised, expecting some kind of elaboration, when none was forthcoming he decided to dig a little deeper into this, obviously highly secretive, subject, "any particular reason you're 'sitting' out here in the woods rather than in the camp with the others? Or do I need some kind of password to know that?" Umbra had seen the winged shade follow the arrogant corsair and she wasn't hanging inside-out from a flagpole somewhere so he could only assume she had already accepted or declined whatever cheap boon the General had wanted to offer her.

being somewhat more specific

OOC: I swear there was supposed to be an 'are' in the last post. Umbra is from the city not the west country :)
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

The skinny elf seemed a little perturbed by her lack of a descriptive answer and it seemed likely he would not simply go away. Nathra cocked her head to the side curiously - a strange, bird-like gesture tucked up snug in her leathery cloak - as the newcomer pressed her for additional information. The others? To which 'others' does he refer?

"A password? My, what a quaint notion, however did you think of it?" She continued to stare down at him with an expressionless face. The beautiful shade put aside the sarcasm, then continued. "Well, since you must know, I am, or was, enjoying the solitude and having a few nostalgic moments." When it seemed the stranger would not take the hint to leave, Nathra resigned herself to further conversation.

"Any particular reason you're wandering around the woods alone?"

Giving a rather more specific answer.
Equipment: Longsword; Shurikens (6/10); Shade Cloak; Asur Arm & Leg Armour Plates; Misericorde; Gutting Knife
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

The witches celebrated and had their ceremonies. Though he was a Khanite, he was not raised as one. He joined in for a while, but it became to extreme for him, so he pulled back a bit and watched, and it did not take long before he was on his own.

He looked around to see if he could join other groupes, or even just be on his own.

Looking around

Khitai - Khanite - Group 38
WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Skills: Ambidexterity, Two Weapon Fighting
Equipment: 2xfine scimitars, dagger
Inventory: Gold 30, Crowns 40, 1 Red ruby
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Escape it seems would not make itself available to him. He cursed his guard for his vigilance. He started to play around with desperate thoughts but he batted them away. He still had his heritage card. Thought that would be like hopping out of the pot and into the pan, would give him more time to find a more advantageous opportunity to make us flight and new identity. So he kept calm and waited.

They came before what could only have been the massacred and stripped, skin and all, body of the mage. His eyes burned with fury You got me here you bastard. You made me the notice of the nobility. I hope khaine offers you an eternity of reliving your flaying since you cheated him of experiencing it by being so rude as Todd before hand...

The guard muttered some words that snapped him from his rising thoughts of hatred. As if on cue a flayer, dressed in all his trades glory, brought out a large, grizzly standard upon which one feature took his every attention. The mutilated skin of what could have only been the Mage. Am I to join an asurii princes fate? Do the gods mock me?

The guard quickly wrapped his chain around the standard. This is so you do not drop it. Now get back to thaeken. You're to march with him. Don't keep him waiting

Gaelus stood for a moment, realising his sudden change of fortune. A promotion indeed. But careful old fellow, though you are now in a good position to advance your ambitions, do not fly too close to the sun. And be wary, you're now one to be noticed..... He smiled to himself. The general might think to mock him with his chains but the placement also told him that the general found him useful. This could be very good,very good indeed... If played right.

He turned on his heal, hefting his new burden onto his shoulder marching back towards the generals summit. He didn't bother addressing the guard as he left. He knew there was no need. Such an action might bestow defference and in his new position, he was responsible for the fear and inspiration of the army. He made sure to grabs a fresh set of bolt cartridges on his way back to the general, wouldn't do to be unprepared in his new position. A few elves milling about caught notice of him and his gruesome totem. He hefted it into the air in passing he yelled For Thaeken! For the Witchking! Victory and soon Ulthuan is ours!

Gaelic will return to the general with his standard and try to resupply along the way. He will attempt to rouse and inspire any groups of druchii he might pass
Cade Thanal (TN: Gaelus Stormscythe) (Group 38 warrior)
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold
Skills: Disguise

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2
Equipment: Glaive, medium armor, shield
Skills: Endurance

Taldein, the Draich'Arha (CC Thread)
WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Equipment: Draich (EP4), Helmet (EP1), Pendant
Skills: Power of Ulgu (1)
Mostlyharmless
Noble

Post by Mostlyharmless »

She was trying not to think about where that needle might have been as the druchii stitched up her arm. The wound was doused in alcohol and stitched up, painfully, then bandaged. It would do. She would heal. Heldrana wished she still had some wine left as she exited the tent.

Wine . . . wine requires coin . . . coin . . . I haven't been paid yet!

Having no loyalty beyond the offered coin to keep her around, that general had better pay up.

She hefted her axe and made her way towards the officers' tents, hoping the administrators for the Druchii force hadn't gotten themselves killed. If she had to, she'd go straight the general.

At the moment, though, on the way to officers' tents, she was being accosted by sentries. Apparently, the officers didn't wish to mingle with the common soldiery.

"I have a contract, dammit! I expect to be paid!"

She was brandishing the axe over her shoulder and a parchment in her hand that bore the general's seal.

"Now get the hell out of my way before I extract my pay from your damned hides."

She be a tad angry. If there is no intervention soon, things will get violent.
Heldrana Doomtide (Group 38 - Warrior)
WS:4 S:4 T:3 D:4 I:3
Equipment: Sea Dragon Cloak, Leather Armour, Buckler, Short Sword, Throwing Daggers (4), 1 flask of wine, tinderbox, 5 gold coins, Chracian Axe (2 handed weapon)
Skills: none
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Heldrana had made her way towards any sign of authority, and a cloud of malaise hung over her. Some Druchii moved out of her way, others cast disdainful looks towards the corsair as she demanded payment for her work. Her requests had not gone un-noticed, a tall, well-built elf with grey hair walked towards her. He was clad in his chainmail tunic and steel chest plate, but the rest of his armour was removed and he looked like he was starting to wind down from the battle. 'Will you hold that tongue of yours, before I have it cut out.' he grumbled, ignoring her axe and the frenzied look in her eyes. 'You'll get paid when the green moon rises again, like the rest of us. Now if you want something to drink, come sit down and behave yourself.'

He gestured towards the makings of a camp, a small fire lit with a pot over it. Around it were a rabble of various Druchii; warriors, corsairs, a few in tunics. 'We make for the gate at dawn, get some rest whilst you can.'

Khitai had borne witness to the ritualistic murders of several dozen prisoners at the hand of the Hag and her maibds. It was becoming tiresome and so he had decided to wander and see what he could find. His hunger for blood had been replaced with a hunger for sustenance, and his nose had led him to a camp fire, where a pot of broth was boiling over a fire.

All looked up as a solitary figure walked past, holding aloft a grim standard."For Thaekan! For the Witchking! Victory and soon Ulthuan is ours!" he yelled. Murmurs were uttered, gestures were made, but the Druchii continued until he reached the General and his retinue. He saw his sergeant, Saulk, now sat astride a black steed of his own, and tipped his head respectfully as he approached.

'Ah, there you are.' exclaimed Thaekan, taking a moment to gauge the overall effect of the warrior and his standard. 'Very good. I am certain our friends at the gate will be overjoyed to see their mage returned to them.' he remarked with a sadistic sneer.

Over at a quiet corner, Nathra had been interrupted from her rest by Umbra. The two had struck up a conversation, and she was oblivious that he had been sent to fetch her to Thaekan. From what little exchange they had held, it was impossible for her to know his purpose, let alone gauge his loyalties. She asked him why he was wandering alone, but before he could give an answer, the whistling sound of an arrow flew through the air, then another. An arrow buried itself in a branch less than an inch from Nathra's thigh, it's fletch tipped with black feathers. It seemed the children of Nagarythe had at last decided to reveal themselves.

Heldrana has been invited to join a group at a fire for some food and a drink.

Khitai has wandered upon the same group, does he join them?

Cade has joined the General.

Nathra and Umbra are under attack by Shadow Warriors. The archers are expert ambush attackers and are shooting from cover. You don't know how many yet, or where they are.

Cade, +1 clip.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Umbra was perplexed by the winged shade's lack of enthusiasm for the conversation, as stilted as it may have been, a good chat was one of the few entertainments afforded by the caravan and Umbra had missed it since he had been ousted out. The mention of reflection brought a smile to Umbra's lips, "nostalgia ain't want it used to be." Umbra didn't even get chance to chuckle at his own joke before black-fletched began lodging themselves in the foliage around the two druchii, as Umbra dropped to his haunches and unslung his bow he called out to the invisible assailants, "it wasn't that bad."

Umbra fired back into the undergrowth in the general direction the first arrows had come from, he couldn't see the backwards cousins that were so intent on killing him but with a bit of luck a few well placed arrows of his own would drive the arrogant cowards out of hiding. As the ambush settled into a skirmish Umbra continued answering the winged shade's question, "well if you're still interested, I came here because there are no walls out there. Also it seemed like a good place to avoid that arse-end of a nauglir who's leading this 'army'."

firing semi-randomly into bushes and continuing conversations.

OOC: I'd like to thank whatever is keeping Mini busy for making that pun possible :)
Opus vos liberaverit
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

As gaelus approached the generals summit, he saw the familiar face Saulk, now astride his own dark steed. Battle truly was the best way to advance in this world. Why just a few hours previously, Saulk was merely a veteran corsair and a squad sergeant. Now, his mettle tested, he stood at the right hand of the army's lord commander. Gaelus noticed that even he had moved quite a ways. Previously a green nameless recruit, now in a position usually reserved for the battle tested nobility. He chuckled at the realisation of the irony in that thought.

He nodded in acknowledgement to his old sergeant. The general turned to look in his direction seeing his approach. After first evaluating the gruesome standard now held in his hands he spoke Very good. I am certain our friends at the gate will be overjoyed at seeing their Mage returned to them .

Gaelus responded, Indeed, lord general. Some might even feel themselves so inclined to join him., gesturing sadistically at the numerous spikes and poles from which future totems could be hung.

Looking about he saw that the camp was unwinding for the day. He knew, however, that this was the time when the generals retinue might be busiest. The battles were always only about 1/10 of business of an armies officers. There was the approach to plan, logistics, refitting and unit reforming. Not to mention equipment care, healing and on the go training. Gaelus decided to hang about the summit until directed to do otherwise. He could always learn a thing or two more about the strategic side of warfare.

In the meantime he thought he should get better acquainted with his new position. He gripped his standard. Drawing his various weapons he gamed in his mind, and in a bit of shadowplay, practiced how he would fight with new new tool.

Gaelus will hang about the generals retinue to try to learn a bit until directed to do otherwise. Until things start happening that he would want to pay attention to, he will try to get acquainted with how he would fight carrying the large standard

OOC: still on the iPad, so apologies. New HD is arriving next week sometime so hopefully back to normal then.
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5
Equipment: Light Armor, Short Sword, Repeating Handbow (9/10), Helmet, Asur Short Sword, High elf Mage-prince pelt, Lion pelt cloak, Sword belt with gold buckle and sapphire, 10 gold

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

The male shade disturbed her private time and was now making lame jokes, but Nathra had no time to sigh at the ridiculousness of the males attempt at humour before a black-feathered arrow imbedded itself into the branch by her thigh. Strangers always bring trouble. Always. She had to surmise it was a lucky shot since her cloak rendered her all but invisible in the dark woods, either that or they had missed their intended target, whoever the strange male was.

Her 'guest' dived to the ground and shot back at their ambushers, before continuing their chat. But Nathra was already gone. The emasculate male was distracted and had his attention elsewhere, and since he lacked the common good sense to keep his trap shut, Nathra used him as a distraction to escape into the shadows of the forest. She knew not who or what these people were but they would not be fooled for long, if at all.

Using Umbra as a distraction, Nathra will escape to somewhere safer and quieter. She will not give away her position and remain wrapped up in her harpy cloak to meld into the shadows of the night.

OOC: Yeah, great pun, Smiler :P

Apologies if my post isn't very exciting, couldn't quite muster up the mental stamina for a more... actiony post.
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Cade gripped the standard, imagining hides and heads of future foes hanging from the trophy hooks. The General had darkly approved of his reply, before retiring to a small tent where the morrow's tactics were discussed in private. From his position nearby, Cade heard mention of the river Naganthe, a ford, and the Griffon Gate. The army would be there by the afternoon if they set out at dawn. A couple of Thaekan's retainers were stood guard outside, and threw the standard bearer warning looks if they thought he was getting too close. It was clear that although he had been awarded the sadistic banner, a great honour for any warrior, he was far from trusted.

Heldrana mingled with the resting troops around a campfire, and had been passed a large flagon of wine by a roguish looking fellow with one eye. It seemed he thought perhaps he could win her over once she had a bit of alcohol in her, and was currently trying to charm her with tales of heroic exploits. She hardly looked impressed and as Khitai milled about wondering whether or not to join them, he half expected the female corsair to kick off as savagely as the maibds with which he had been fighting only a short while ago.

Umbra's efforts at conversation were interrupted by a sudden attack, and rather than socialise further or join the fight, Nathra launched herself off into the gloomy pine woods as soon as Umbra's attention had been taken. She was quickly lost in the shadow of the night and Umbra was left alone with his bow. He had shot an arrow already, but heard nothing to signal whether or not it had hit true. Knocking his bow, he creeped forward, keen eyes scouring the brush and trees beyond for any signs of movement. Two more arrows flew from undergrowth ahead and to the left, and he ducked quickly to avoid them as they buried themselves into the trunk of the tree he was standing in front of.

Cade is listening in on the battle plans near the General's tent.

Heldrana is having a drink, with Khitai nearby who may join if he chooses.

Nathra has disappeared, leaving Umbra alone and under attack. Will she leave him to his fate, or have a sudden change of conscience. He might be useful alive...

Umbra is being shot at.

((OOC: Love it, Smiler! :lol:))
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations

Mod, Group 38
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Crouched in utter silence at the base of a tree, she had succeeded in getting away and the enemy still seemed distracted by the male shade who had made no attempt to hide himself, but then, they already knew he was there. But did they know she was there? It was difficult to say either way. Oh, it wasn't that bad, it was worse! Why me? Why?

The lithe shade remained totally still as she tried to discern the numbers and positions of the enemy amongst the trees, Nathra listened for any tell-tale signs - the twang of bowstrings, the whistle of arrows, lightly trodden footsteps, beating hearts. It was highly unlikely that she would smell them, they were not animals that she was hunting, these people were clearly skilled enough to have sneaked this far from the Druchii army without being noticed but still she sniffed at the still night air with delicate nostrils. With minute, precise movement she craned her neck forward and, using the dull glow of the moon, peered deeper into the forest, trying to suss them from any sounds that she heard.

Nathra will remain silent and use her senses to try and determine the enemy numbers and positions.
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Khitai wondered alone for a while, when a groupe of soldiers sitting around a campfire caught his eye. As he approached he saw flagons of wine been passed around, a some sort of food aswell.

He suddenly felt hungry, and wine would surtainly taste good. He approached one of the soldiers
"any spare wine and food for a hungry soul?
My thirst for blood has been satisfied today, but it will not will fill my stomach, neither the thirst for wine

He looked at the nearest one, hopeing to get some attention and something to drink

Mingling, trying to get some food and wine

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

The generals guards gave gaelus a sharp look telling him that he was not invited to join the general in his conference. Very well... he thought, Might as well get myself settled in. He pondered where to go at this moment. He was no longer part of a rank and file unit so that barrack tents were out of the question. Did he follow along to the officer tents? Or was he on his own to find shelter?

He began to wander closer into camp in his thoughts. His gaze was interrupted by the loading of a baggage train. Much of the battlefield had been scoured while he was dragged in chains before the general. He saw piles of armour and weapons, none of which really seemed of all tht great quality. There were a few pieces of the knightly asur equipment here and there but he imagined most of that worth carrying would already be safely stowed away in whatever druchii was lucky enough to pick it u and hide it away the fastest.

Something, however, did catch his eye. A soft white fur. Several pelts of white lion fur lay strewn about the piles in various levels of disrepair. Now this, he thought reaching out to touch the fur with his free hand This would look great in black...

Ho! You! Are you the logistician responsible for these piles of spoils? Also, where can I find the elf responsible for uniform repair?

Gaelus will look into trying to procur a white lion cloak and finding the baggage train's tailor about dying it black if successful
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Umbra cursed and knocked his bow, creeping silently forward in a crouch to reduce any target for the unseen enemy. Trying to find a sign of their hidden location, he swore again under his breath. These were no militia, these were the leftover dogs from Nagarythe, sworn to the usurper that had stolen the throne from its rightful heir, Malekith. Ever since the day they had sworn allegiance to Caledor II, they had sought to hunt down each Dark Elf that trod upon Ulthuan. Over the centuries they had got rather good at it. So cruel were their methods, that even their own kin shunned them. Slowly he walked, carefully scanning the scrub and overhanging branches.

Nathra had the sense to get the hell out of there and was carefully hidden at the base of a tree. She too was trying to gauge the position of their foes, unseen now (or so she hoped) by the Asur skirmishers. The silence was complete save for the swishing of wind through the sickly pines and the noise of her own heartbeat, when a noise shook her with a start...

SWISH!

Umbra nearly filled his breeches as a rope tightened around his right ankle. So focussed on searching out the ambushers was he, that he had completely missed the trap. The noose had been covered by loose leaf litter and as he stepped forward pulling the line, it had triggered. Lifting him upwards by his leg, the Shade soon found himself upside-down over a glade, his cloak hanging down beneath him. Swinging in the canopy, he tried to free himself before the Shadow Warriors found him.

Back at the camp, the victory had filled the host with a celebratory mood, and in fitting fashion, the Hag and her Witches were slaughtering prisoners by the dozen. The music of their agonies was played out to the beating of Khaine's war drum. Heldrana had threatened to stab several of the party around the camp fire, but had gratefully accepted the flagon and was halfway through it by the time a Khainite interrupted the group asking for wine. She did not answer, but some of the troupe answered in kind by shuffling over and making space for him by the fire. Khitai sat down and was handed a pewter cup filled with a thick substance that smelled rather strong. "Dwarven brew" murmured one of the Druchii mercenaries. "Don't waste it, that stuff's not cheap."

'Do I look like a bloody Quatermaster?' came the gruff reply from the elf who Cade had questioned. 'You repair yer own damn uniform. If ye can't keep it in good nick, that's your problem.' he added, before rummaging among the baggage and bits of armour himself.

The General seemed to be concluding his plans for the next morning and had dismissed his officers, who one by one, exited his tent. Cade watched the officers leave, and noted with interest a cloaked figure approach. Beneath the hood, he saw a pair of violet eyes peering about, unmistakably those of a female. Sensing she was watched, she turned her head towards him and those violet eyes momentarily locked with his own. There was a pause as she thought how to react, but sensing he was no threat threw him a wink before entering the General's tent alone.

Umbra is in a pickle and is hanging upside-down from a tree like a trapped deer.

Nathra has heard the trap trigger, and thus now knows where the enemy are likely to be.

Heldrana and Khitai are sat around a camp fire with a band of mercenaries for the night.

Cade is outside the General's tent, taking in some intriguing goings-on.

Cade, + 1 lion pelt. ((OOC, yes those models look amazing don't they?!))

Mod, Group 38
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Umbra's arrow had either met air or the self-important locals were mute, he tested the former by creeping forward a few paces and was rewarded by fresh projectiles he rolled sideways to avoid, damn nature, damn openness. In the city I'd be the one playing with these scum. Again Umbra was left with silence, both from the asur and the unnerving shade behind, he glanced behind him as he continued scuttling forward and saw the recently vacated tree but no sign of the winged shade, "backstabbing coward," Umbra cursed under his breath as he returned to scouring the brush for his invisible assailants but the words quickly dissolved into a yelp as the world flipped upside-down around him.

Umbra thrashed against whatever held his leg and had so unwantedly inverted him, thinking it some tree spirit the crass high elves had coerced into fighting for them, so it was a few moments before he realised his entrapment was relievingly more mundane. After he had eventually stopped swinging erratically from his terrified fit Umbra took stock of the situation, his bow and it's nocked arrow was still in his hand and despite hurting like the wastes his leg seemed intact, however his quiver had done a fine job of emptying itself onto the ground below. Drawing his bow with it's one arrow Umbra kicked his free leg in the air, slowly navigating in a circle on the spot, stopping to aim at anything that moved more than it should, once he was sure there was no angry nagarythians in the immediate area he leaned up hisself and pointed his arrow at the rope above his foot as best as he could and attempted to shoot hisself down.

Getting hisself out of the noose trap, like a real man... Or wasting his only arrow and being completely stuck in a tree till Nathra saves him, like a typical man :lol:
Opus vos liberaverit
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

The wind whistled melodiously through the trees and despite using all of her senses to ascertain the location of the enemy, any enemy, the wind was all she heard. What were they waiting for? If they knew she was here it was likely they were waiting for her make the first move and if she were alone they would be waiting an extremely long time. Or perhaps, they did know she was here and were using the same tactic she was? Using the male as bait. He talks too much, of course they know I'm here.

"Backstabbing coward," she then heard, which completely reaffirmed her recent thought. Backstabbing? Nathra had done nothing of the sort, how was she to know he was a complete idiot? When ambushed silence is your ally, the shadows are your friends. Of course, had I been alone this would never have happened in the first place.

SWISH! The lithe female peered cautiously around the tree trunk and immediately noticed the male dangling about in a flurry. She sighed and rolled her eyes, if not for the impending threat of unknown and invisible enemies, Nathra might even have laughed. Now she was in a quandary. Should she try and save the stranger whose tomfoolery could get both of them killed? Or should she let him hang and try to use it to her advantage? Given different circumstances she might well flip a coin to decide.

His quiver had emptied and she could see that he was struggling to free himself with the last of his arrows. Nathra decided that she would give him that one opportunity to free himself before she decided whether to rescue him or not. If he somehow, by miracle or divine intervention, managed to free himself and survive the ambush then surely he deserved to live. If the enemy decided to kill him that would absolve her of any responsibility and it would, hopefully, make their position known.

In the meantime, Nathra will continue her tracking of the enemy.

If Umbra can save himself Nathra won't need to. If he misses Nathra will then have to decide whether to save him or not. For now she will remain vigilant for any signs of the enemy.

OOC: Hoped to get a post done last night but forgot I had an exam today so had to do revision instead.

Welcome back, Smiler, now go post in your other group :D
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Don't mind if I do then..., Gaelus thought to himself as he scavenged the lion pelt from the pile. He inspected it for wear and tear and found that, other than a bit of soiling, it was still in serviceable condition. He threw the cloak over his shoulders, enjoying the way it now framed his shoulders. Not only did it cut an imposing figure, but it would also provide a helpful bit of protection from the fights to come. As the army's standard, he knew he would be a significant target in future fights and every little bit helps. He also smiled inwardly at the hatred it would enact on their weaker cousins. The mockery it would make of their traditions. He made note to make it appear equally defiled literally before the next battle.

He wandered back to the general's tent, still somewhat unsure about his next move. It was getting late on in the evening and rest was becoming an ever more concern. He saw a heavily covered figure approach the tent and in noticing Gaelus's observations, turned and winked their violet eyes towards him. Very curious indeed...

He approached the tent. He knew better than to appear snooping. Even with his newfound position, he was not so long in the generals retinue to believe he had free reign of his curiousities. Instead he sought to inquire about what his general's business was for him this evening and any coming preparations he wished him to perform before he sought rest for the evening. He approached the guards and made known inquiry known to them, keeping a curious ear to any goings on inside.

Gaelus will try to discern what his next action should be or if he should just try to bed down for the night
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

As Cade approached the General's tent with his newly acquired pelt, two guards near the tent flaps crossed their halberds to block his path. Beneath the shadows of a dark steel helm, to black eyes glowered at him with a challenge. 'General's not to be disturbed.' From beyond, Cade could hear melodious laughter and flirtatious whispers, and imagined the General was enjoying the company of his recently arrived visitor. Any disturbance would be an annoyance to say the least, and so Cade was left to find somewhere to rest and recover himself in time for tomorrow's big push.

If what he had heard earlier was correct, they would be marching to the Griffon Gate, he at the head of the army with General Thaekan and his retinue. Risky, but what an honour! Those foolish fops that guarded the way to Eataine and the Inner Kingdoms would be aghast to see what he would be carrying. Glancing up at the standard, he smiled to himself as he imagined what trophies he would add to the flapping hide of the Mage, whose skinned corpse had since been dropped into the Death Hag's cauldron. His staff was still with the two sorceresses who had found a jutting rock on the edge of a gulley, and were summoning fell winds to tap into the energy of the swirling blue stone at its top.

Nathra crept closer to see what had interrupted the quiet. She saw Umbra swinging from an ankle from the trap he had triggered, and cautiously waited as he struggled to free himself. He wasn't the only one watching.

The Shade tensed his stomach muscles and pulled himself up. He shot an arrow at the rope above himself, the head shearing through where the cord wrapped around a springy branch. As Umbra fell to the soft woodland floor below, two arrows missed him, flying through the air where a split second before he had been. They would have surely killed him. The Shade rolled forwards as two more arrows flew, and then he saw them. Four Shadow warriors in the thicket to his right. Two were stood, knocking arrows into their bows, whilst the other two had short swords drawn and were rushing forwards to send him straight to the Abyss.

Nathra had so far moved so stealthily, not even a twig had cracked beneath her feet. The Asur ambushers were not aware that she was so close. Having heard the conversation moments ago, they were focussed on slaying the male Shade first, before hunting down the female.

Cade is not to disturb the General. He may explore the camp further, or settle down.

Nathra and Umbra, there are 4 Shadow warriors attacking. They haven't seen Nathra yet. Each is armed with a short sword, a recurve bow, a quiver of arrows, and a hunting knife. They wear chainmail vests under dark leather tunics, over which they wear steel chest plates They also wear leather breeches, and cloth hoods, wear steel bracers and shin guards. Most of their faces are covered, only their eyes show.

Heldrana and Khitai, I'll leave you chatting at the fire for the time being.

((OOC, planning to get on to the next chapter after Nathra and Umbra have dealt with their new friends))

Mod, Group 38
Minigrift
... And Hell Followed

Post by Minigrift »

Nathra did not wait around to enjoy the spectacle the male elf was making of himself, there were more important things to be getting on with. She could hear well enough and that was all the indication she needed to know whether he managed to free himself or not. Silently, she moved through the forest to get around the flanks of the their ambushers and, soon enough, she heard the commotion of a body clattering on the ground.

The twang of bowstrings and the swish of arrows gave the enemies position away. The lithe shade crawled closer to see four shadowy silhouettes in the gloom of the forest - High Elf scouts by the looks of them. Two more arrows were let loose in quick succession after the first two, which told Nathra the male was still alive and, as she saw two of the shadowy warriors draw their swords and move in for the kill, her assumption was confirmed. Hope you're better at fighting than you are at talking.

The other two were notching their bows with arrows and brought them up to shoot at the hapless male once again. By this time Nathra had settled into a suitable flanking position. Though it was dark the moonlight provided enough illumination for Nathra to get a clear shot at the closest target, whom she had clear line of sight to and at this range it was highly unlikely that she would miss. The other Asur was mostly hidden amongst the trees.

Nathra held her breath and envisioned the shuriken imbedding itself into the poor elf's head. She flung the throwing star with all the force she could muster, then waited for the elf to fall down dead. The shade burst into action by throwing her harpy cloak around herself even as she jumped over the fallen tree she was hiding behind. The second elf heard her for he flinched around to face her, but Nathra was confident her evasion skills and trusted harpy cloak would mask her approach to the elf.

She darted this way and that, using the trees and foliage to mask her presence at all times. Nathra made to jump left, but rolled right, she jumped from behind a tree only to somersault back again and grab the branch to swing around silently. She danced amongst the naked trees doing everything she could to mislead and misdirect her whereabouts to her target.

As she neared her prey Nathra drew her sword and with a feral grin, assaulted the elf.

Nathra had a clear and easy shot to the first elf. She moving into slay the second in close combat since she could not get a clear shot at him. Once dead, Nathra will return to assist Umbra with his attackers should he need her help. If he doesn't need her help, Nathra will, once again, slink away into the shadows.

She will also take 'proof' of the kills and loot the two corpses for anything useful.
Last edited by Minigrift on Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Assani
Highborn

Post by Assani »

Khitai drank and ate all he could, after all, he didn't know when he could eat again.
There was a cheerful mood around the campfire, and he talked to most of them, just chit chat really.

continueing the chit chat

WS5 - S3 - T2 - D5 - I3
Jcitalia4
Beastmaster

Post by Jcitalia4 »

Gaelus smiled secretly as he hear the pleasured noises coming from the generals tent. The spoils of war, he thought. He turned about and made for the brides of khaine. They danced about their cauldron in revelry, celebrating their victories that day with the blood of the captured. He made his presence known and drew one of his short swords. He approached one of the hags, Blessings of Khaine unto you he said as he drew the blade across his hand, offering his blood up to him. It was a rite practiced to the point of mediocrity among the nobles. It was important to keep up appearances.

These items still stink of the Asurii touch. Let Khaine's blessing remake these items and bring fear and hatred to our weaker cousins.

Gaelus will get his newly acquired items to look a bit more druchii and then bed down for the evening
WS3 S4 T3 D4 I5

Dolan Steelshorn
WS4 S5 T5 D3 I2

WS4 S3 T4 D3 I4
Smiler666
Highborn

Post by Smiler666 »

Umbra let loose his arrow and was surprised and elated when it found it's mark in the dark, then gravity reminded him of the situation with a thud and his cheerfulness was dampened slightly as he rolled forward from the impact, the arrows that streaked past where he had hung a moment ago and those that embedded themselves in the group where he had fallen didn't help either. Luckily the dirt and leaves he had fallen onto were soft, so he didn't suffer any damage beyond a few bruises as he rolled to his feet and finally caught sight of the slinking asur rushing towards him.

Umbra still had his bow in hand, but even if there had been time to take a shot at his attackers his arrows were scattered on the ground several paces behind him and he didn't fancy his chances of running back for them before the Nagarytheans caught up with him, so instead he barreled towards the shadow warriors. As he came within reach of the shadows Umbra swung his bow up to deflect the sword of the elf to his left then dropped to his knees, the sudden change of height and motion throwing off the second attacker's aim sending their sword whistling over Umbra's head, before they could react he sunk his empty fist into the shadow's crotch. The asur doubled over in pain and Umbra shot to his feet, cracking the arrogant shadow warrior under the chin with an arm of his bow and sending their head snapping backwards. While the elf reeled Umbra reached over their shoulder and stole an arrow from their quiver, jabbing it into their eye socket before fitting it to his bow and rounding on the first shadow warrior. At this range it was near impossible to miss. The elf crumpled with his comrade's arrow protruding from his face and Umbra dived away before the two still hiding in the bush opened fire, not realising they too were being swiftly dealt with.

killing high elves
Opus vos liberaverit
Nightcall

Post by Nightcall »

Whilst Heldrana, Khitai, and Cade, made the most of their respite and bunkered down for the evening, Nathra and Umbra were fighting for their lives. Nathra had finally decided to aid the male shade who had seemingly completely abandoned his mission given to him earlier that evening by the General himself. Right now, his only interest was in surviving, and teaching those Asur idiots a lesson in pain.

Umbra had freed himself from the snare and was now faced with the hunting Nagarythi. As the two stalking Shadow Warriors prowled forwards, he raised his bow to deflect a strike from a sword, and succeeded. Dropping to his knees, he launched a counter attack with a snarl as his fist landed in the elf's crotch who hissed in pain before receiving a fist in his jaw, the uppercut snapping his head backwards. As he staggered back, Umbra stole an arrow from his back, and in the moments of confusion, thrust it into the elf's eye. The warrior howled in pain, before Umbra pulled the barbed projectile from his face, the ruined socket oozing clear fluid and blood from his ruined eye.

His companion raised his blade and swept it across in a decapitating blow, but his attack fell short. Umbra had taken the arrow and knocked it to his own bow, releasing it at the Elf at short range. It pierced his throat, and with a gargled cry, the Shadow Warrior dropped his sword, his strength failing him as his blood drained.

The two dying Elves groaned as they lay on the forest floor in the darkness. They were not the only ones, for their two comrades were still fixed on vengeance from the trees beyond. So focussed were they on Umbra, that the soft footfalls of the female Shade went un-noticed until it was too late.

Nathra's shuriken fixed itself in the left archer's eye. Raising a hand to his face with a cry, his companion turned about himself, an arrow ready, the bowstring taught. His hand shook as his breath caught in the chill night air. He found his target and silently took aim, an enraged look in his eyes, and loosed an arrow towards the Shade. She lithely dodged and somersaulted through the small grove, evading the arrow easily. Darting left, then right, she drew her sword, and brought the wicked edge down with a grin. His sword still drawn, the poor fool was unprepared to defend himself, and moaned in agony as his left arm was cut off at the shoulder. Blood sprayed out from the stump, and in desperation he fumbled for his blade with his good arm.

Umbra and Nathra, the Shadow Warriors are dying. I suggest you finish them off, then choose trophies to take back to the General.

Cade, Heldrana, Khitai are back at camp.

((OOC, I want to get moving on to the next stage so if we can wrap this part up, that'd be great. ;) ))

Mod, Group 38