(beta) Campaign report - Folk of pain

Discuss and participate in the development of the Mordheim Druchii warband here.

Moderators: Loflar, The Dread Knights

Malman
Trainee Warrior

(beta) Campaign report - Folk of pain

Post by Malman »

After our last campaign ended, I decided I have to take the Druchii banner and try this seemingly hopeless warband as well. I know it will be hard, but we are Druchii, accustomed to suffering.

I use this version of rulesas Loflar appointed that this is the last version which has to be tested

Battle 1: Take what is not tied against Reikland (custom scenario similar to lustrian gubbinzz scenario)
Folk of pain (name for the Dark Elves from our RPG :-) )
Katsuro Orgashi - noble, 2 daggers, RXB
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB
Ninako Sukomi - sorceress, 2 daggers, useless spell Soul stealer
Shinobu Takchi - beastmistress, dagger, beastlash
Kinkari Tomako, Takuro Musura, Ichiro Maisara - shades in groups by one, two daggers, bow
Noburu - slavehound
rating 109

Reikland: Captain, two champions, two youngblods, 3 swordsmen, 4 archers
rating 96

Ok, so the first battle I entered with less models and better rating, but I didn´t feel hopelessly outnumbered.
In the first round both warbands moved to the objectives. I decided to give them to the shades hoping in soon advancement. Akiko climbed on top of one of the ruins and all the others moved forward.
In the second round I got to the last objective and several other elves climbed to the position. The dog served as living shield and in the first round of shooting, reikland missed.
We missed too, in the fourth round reikland shot poor Noburu, the slavehound, and we sent OOA one of reikland champions.
Then came long and painfull phase of pointless shooting. Due to my mistake, Reikland player caught and sent OOA a both Ninako Sukomi the sorceress and Shinobu Takchi the beastmistress.
I succeeded in eliminating one of the archers and as my shooters were yet safe, I continued in the battle when successfully rolling route tests. Then at last one of my about 9 shots eliminated one other reiklander and the dice looked pleasantly on poor Druchii and sent Reikland home.

Death rating was today very high, Ninako Sukomi and Noburu the dog died, only Shinobu Takchi was unharmed.
I got 3 wyrdstone shards and in the objectives I found lucky charm, 2d6 GC (rolled 2) and 1 wyrdstone shard more.
Kinkari Tomako got talent and his heroic advancement was +A, both his fellows got BS.

I consider it a success, but rather pyrrhian. In the next battle I will have to go with the same number of models and same equipment, the earned money will hardly allow anything else.
Last edited by Malman on Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Well, you are better and more experienced player then I am, so I expect that you will fare better then I did.

But noble with two daggers? It is worse crime then those Middenheimer Swordsmen with clubs and Marienburger captain without pistol...
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 2 - Breakthrough against Amazons
Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, 2 daggers, RXB
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, 2 daggers, Black Blade of Khaine spell
Shinobu Takchi - beastmistress, dagger, beastlash
Kinkari Tomako, shade hero - A2, two daggers, bow
Takuro Musura, Ichiro Maisara - shades in groups by one, two daggers, bow, both with BS5
Takai - slavehound
rating 120

Amazons
12 Amazons armed mostly with dagger, club and sling, they had one blaster rifle ... oh sorry, I ment sunstaff and one blaster pistol ... yes, I know, sunglove. Their sorceress and leader rested home becaose of her old battle wound
rating 128

After a while of thinking I decided, that I have better chance in defending. The Amazons stood on one side of the table and their scout was positioned before them to block my deployment.
Katsuro Orgashi and Akiko Damiko deployed on top of a tower on the right side of the table, behind a ruin before the tower deployed our sorceress, beastmistress and slavehound.
Aiko Mondeki took position on a ruin in the left half of the table and all the shades behind a statue in the center.
The amazons decided to move through the weak left wing of my team. We shoot as much as we could, but our bolts and arrows were not able to take anybody OOA. Amazons mostly fired with 6 to hit and so they didn't even hit.
The shades moved to help Aiko and she jumped down ad moved away not to be charged. Beastmistress, sorceress and the dog moved towards the lonely scout left on the right side of the table.
Another round of shooting ended when Aiko took one of the amazons OOA, Takai, the dog, charged, one of the Amazons who went to help the poor scout and stunned her. Shinobu Takchi prepared to attack the scout and Hanako tried to cast the spell on the beastlash - unsuccessfully.
In the amazons turn, one slingstone took poor Aiko Mondeki OOA. The dog was charged by one amazon and stunned her in counterattack.
In my turn Shinobu tried to charge the stunned Amazon, but the charge was intercepted by the scout. Shades shoot on amazons, but without any real success. The dog took OOA the stunned amazon, but our beastmistress was took OOA by the scout. Needless to say, next attemt of the spell was again unsuccessfull.
Next turn the scout charged the dog. In the last heroic attempt the dog put OOA the second Amazon he was in combat with, but it was his end as he was without chance to pass his stupidity test.
In our turn we moved away and hid, we knew the amazons are under route level and thei highest leadership is 7. We wanted to not allow them finish the scenario, but to not allow them shoot too.
They made the test and the scout finished the stupid dog.
Then came very slow position movement with rolling route tests on both sides. And as 9 is bigger than 7 we were lucky and the Amazons at last left.

Death rating was again high: Aiko Mondeki was hardened, but the beastmistress died and the dog remained alive and escaped due to the warband rules.
As I was not present to the creation of the warband, I do not know why is the rule here so stupidly harsh. I really do not know why it is not as with Kislev bear instead - the dog remains in camp until a new beastmaster is acquired...can somebody explain me why the rule is as is?

Katsuro Orgashi and Aiko Mondeki got +1I and Akiko Damiko got skill (trick shooter).

I found 4 wyrdstones and on 66 5GC so as in the last battle, I will be again able to just fill the loses without slightest development... "O Pyrrhos, mighty king, you are my teacher how to win."
Last edited by Malman on Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Malman wrote:As I was not present to the creation of the warband, I do not know why is the rule here so stupidly harsh. I really do not know why it is not as with Kislev bear instead - the dog remains in camp until a new beastmaster is acquired...can somebody explain me why the rule is as is?

Discussion about beastmaster and his pets is here. The part about escaping is legacy of Lustrian Cold One hounds, which seems to have never been really thought about...
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 3 - Writing on the wall agains Brettonians

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, 2 daggers, RXB, +1 I
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB +1 I, hardened
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, 2 daggers, Black Blade of Khaine spell
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, dagger, axe (not enough money for a newbeastlasth)
Kinkari Tomako, shade hero - A2, two daggers, bow
Takuro Musura, Ichiro Maisara - shades in groups by one, two daggers, bow, both with BS5
Takai II - slavehound
rating 128

Bretonnians (played according to the updated rules, see releant topic in spec games discussion forum)
one knight on horseback, two knights on foot, a lot of bowmen with longbows, elven ranger, bard - some about 16 model at all, rating about 150

When I had rolled the scenario I saw the battle as a draw at best. I haven´t had much chance to stand long enough against the numbers to be able to finish the mission. I decided to try to last long enough to read the writing.
The bretonnians got their blessing.
In the first round we moved forward at a full pace. That allowed the bretonnians three shots from their starting position and so in the first bretonnian round Takai the dog and Akiko Damiko the lordling left the combat. The mounted knight moved forward.
I already knew the battle to be lost but I got in my second turn the sorceress into the narrow street and set Michiko and Kinkari Tomako to the sides to guard her. All the other moved and tried to be out of sight.
The bretonnians discovered Ichiro, but their shots were not so successfull as in the first round. The knight moved into position to be able to charge Michiko next turn.
Hanako moved to the center of the street to start reading the writing if possible. Ichiro Maisara and Takuro Musura shot at the mounted knight. The lady of the lake clearly refused her blessing to the knight who wanted to charge a noble lady, but however our arrows missed.
The knight charged Michiko and lady of the lake disliked his intent so he hit only once of his 4 attacks. But that was sufficient as he put her OOA. (Remember, he rolled 3 times on the injuries table with three OOA results :-) )
We rolled the route test, but I was before a decision. To try to achieve a draw I had to sacrifice nearly all heroes of my warband in charge against the knight and leave them to be charged next turn by a bunch of bowmen. I decided to leave and I consider it a wise decisssion.

Serious injuries chart was this time gracious. Akiko got hardened, Takai the dog lived to see another battle and Michiko suffered serious arm wound and her arm was amputated, but she remained alive and so I could keep the slavehound.

Hanako the sorceress got +1 A and Kinkari Tomako the heroic shade got another attack - now I regret I appointed him to be a shooter and didn´t give him combat or speed skills, but never mind, he has to learn to fight with druchii special skills and there are some good CC skills.
I rolled 13 which makes 3 wyrdstone shards and double 2 which gave me 2gc.

Next week I will meet the hardest foe, our best player playing The league of Ostermark (published in Fanatic Online some time ago).
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 4 - Wolf hunt agains Ostermark

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, 2 daggers, RXB, lucky charm, +1 I
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, +1 I, hardened
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter, hardened
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, 2 daggers, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +A
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand,
Kinkari Tomako, shade hero - A3, dagger, axe, bow
Takuro Musura, Kenji Tekumu - shades, two daggers, bow, with BS5
Ichiro Maisara - shade two daggers, bow, with BS5
Takai II - slavehound
rating 145

League of Ostermark
About 18 models, 15 human, 2 warhounds, 1 hired halfling

This should be a hard battle not only because I was slightly overnumbered, but because the Ostermark player is one of our best players, but it was quicker I thought.

There were 4 wolves from the begining - both sides moved their nonshooting warriors slightly forward and while shooting, got down one of the wolves and then remaining wolves charged. One charged and taked OOA one of ostermarkers dogs. The second charged Michiko, she stood bravely and the wolf missed. She hit, but didn´t wound (stupid weak beastlash).
Both wolves were charged and removed, but then six new greyskins appeared behind Druchii lines. The ostermarkers got in shooting position and four shots with 6 to hit took OOA Kinkari Tomako and Michiko and stunned Hanako.
The dog did not succeeded in his stupidity test and stood in place.
The rest of our warriors were shielded by a wood from the ostermarkers so they shot and mostly due to Katsuro Orgashi finished 4 wolves.
The remaining wolves easily overcame the stupid dog and then blunderbuss shot into our knocked down sorceress and two wolves finished the sorceress.
It was time to leave.

As to the after battle results: Kinkari Tomako our heroic shade died, Michiko lost I (only one who really used her high initiative :-) ).

Aiko Mondeki got skill (dodge) and both shade groups got +1 WS.

I earned 2 shards and with bone left from last battle and 60 GC for wolfskins I will be able to go to the next battle with eleven or twelve models and then will come time for equipment.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 5 - Breakthrough against Witch Hunters

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, 2 daggers, RXB, lucky charm, +1 I
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, +1 I, hardened, dodge
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter, hardened
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, 2 daggers, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4
Takuro Musura, Kenji Tekumu - shades, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4
Ichiro Maisara, Masaru Ondake - shades, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4
Tsubasa Honkeru - shade, dagger, bow
Takai II, Sendo - slavehounds
rating 164

Witch Hunters
Captain and 3 WH with crossbows, Priest with hammer and hammer of Sigmar spell, 5 flagelant with flails, two zealots
rating about 150

This time I felt as having an advantage and I hoped I will be able to transform it into victory.
We deployed on one side of the table with slavehounds, Hanako and Michiko on the leftmost side, my plan was to try to breakthrough through the left side and cover the escape by shooting. The WH deployed their crossbows on the surrounding ruins and the rest in two groups on the ground.
In the first round I moved the breaking group forward and joined them with all five shades. Both our lordling climbed up a building and hid there, Katsuro Orgashi, the noble and leader rolled 6 and stayed down.
The huntres crossbows were harmless. And the fighting groups moved nearer.
Two dogs, the sorceress and beasmistree were joined with the new shade and moved forward. The noble suceded in climbing and our shooting group started to remove the threat represented by the crosbowmen. One of the hunters was stuned, fell down and killed himself, and Akiko damiko got the captain.
Two flagellants charged the slavehounds and stunned one and knocked down the other. Crossbow shots stunned Katsuro Orgashi, but his I7 didn´t betray him and he was left on the building.
We continued shooting, another witch hunter fell from his position ank killed himself and the remaining crossbowman was shot by one of ous shades. Tsubasa Honkeru shot on one of the zealots and stunned him. The flagellant were unable to finish our slavehounds and the Witch Hunters took the wise way and left with only last hero on table.

I was lucky this battle, but as the situaton was, I had an advantage in shooting which I used to maximum.

Katsuro Orgashi got skill (haggle), Akiko Damiko skill (dodge) and Michiko Takchi skill (lightning reflexes)

I found three wyrdstone shards and for 33 I rolled 6 which means LA. As I had at last a clear battle I should think carefully what to do with the money. I suppose trying to find cookbook and perhaps a warhound may work fine. Or I may hire some hired swords. If you want to suggest something, here is the right place or wait for the next week report to see the results. :-)
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 6 - Hunt the heretic against Ostlanders

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, 2 daggers, RXB, lucky charm, LA, cookbook, +1 I, haggle
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter, hardened, dodge
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, dagger, axe, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes
Tsubasa Honkeru - shade, 2 daggers, bow
Takai II, Sendo, Shikyo - slavehounds
rating 182

Ostlanders
Captain and 2 bloodbrothers, priest of Taal, several jaegers, ogre, kislevite ranger hired sword.
rating about 172

There was no doubt, that the Druchii will guard the wizard. Four of my best shooters were placed in the tower with the wizard. That means noble, both lordlings and Takuro Musura, one of the shades.
The ostlanders were placed on one side of the tower and it was no surprise, that they were all placed out of sight.
I won first round but I only slightly regrupped those on the tower.
Ostlanders moved forward. Takuro Musura came down to marchblock their advance.
The ostlanders moved again and sent one arrow to the shade.
Next turn the reinforcements arrived. The dogs moved forward followed by the beasmistress and sorceress, in the middle were the four remaininf shades and the hail of arrows succeeded in taking OOA one of the ostlanders.
The right side ostlanders moved quickly towards the fight. And the ostlanders attacked each one one of the hounds and the ogre charged our shades, but was intercepted by Hanako Sukomi the sorcerress and put her easily OOA. The dogs stood fast and all remained unharmed and Sendo even stunned his jaeger. Kislevite ranger stunned Takuro Musura.
Hanako put OOA the stunned jaeger and Sendo charged another one. The ogre was hit by a bunch of harmless arrows, but the wizard used silver arrows of Arha and removed two of the ogres wounds. Sendo and Shikyo finished their jaeger.
The ogre charged our shades but only stunned one. Kislevite ranger chaged Michiko Takchi but the girl were unable to hurt each other. The witch hunter charged Takuro Musura but was unable to put him OOA.
Sendo and Shikyo charged the ogre but did not harm him. And the ogre put Tsubasa Honkeru OOA. Two remaining shades, Ichiro Maisara and Masaru Ondake charged and removed the ranger and Takai II finally stunned his opponent. The ostlanders retreated.

This was a good victory, Hanako survived against odds and Tsubasa Honkeru lived to see another fight. It surprises me, that the dogs are one of my best killing models but so is the fact. Our shooters were today rather ineffective.

Akiko Damiko got another skill (fey quickness) and Hanako Sukomi got BS. Tsubasa Honkeru got Ld which makes him redshirt for next battles.

Finding wyrdstone I rolled 17 which means 3 shards with no multiples.

According to my plans to the next battle I suppose I should look for RXB for Hanako or hire Loflars shade scout for his seeker ability. Even if Katsuro haggles very well I would not have enough money for both.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

I will just add some perspective here:

Brief history of Ostland
==================
1) Wyrdstone hunt against Witchhunters
I started with the standard 4 heroes, 3 jaegers and ogre. Priest of Taal had the Blessed Ale. Rating 111. I lost, one blood-brother was reduced to T2, one jaeger died.

I bought one more jaeger and some bows.

2) Breakthrough against Bretonnians
Rating 119. I lost. The T2 blood-brother died. I bought a new bloodbrother and BS4 jaeger.

3) Hidden Treasure against Amazons
Rating 133. I won. The new blood-brother died. The jaeger purchased after first battle got talent. I bought a new blood-brother and some bows.

4) Wolf Hunt against Averland
Rating 144. I won. A blood-brother was robbed. I got a lot of money this time, so I bought a BS4 jaeger, blunderbuss, a new jaeger and some equipment. I also got Returning the Favour result, i.e. a hired sword for free. As Ostlander, I had to choose between Ogre and Kislev Ranger. Out of greed, I decided for ranger, who is cheaper to retain and has Seeker ability.

5) Occupation against Reikland.
Rating 184. I lost. Two BS4 jaegers died. So did my priest of Taal, who was keeping my ogre alive during the battles. I would probably win this battle if I took an ogre instaed of the ranger...
I was just able to buy a new priest, with Tanglefoot spell.

6) Aforementioned battle with elves.
Rating 172.

Battle from my point of view
====================
So I had:
Elder: Sword, bow, QuickShot, I5
Bloodbrother: Sword, Mighty Blow, S4
Bloodbrother: Sword, bow, WS5
Priest: Axe, bow, Tanglefoot
Heroic Jaeger: Axe, bow, blunderbuss, Wyrdstone Hunter
2x Jaeger: Axe, bow, BS4, I4
1x Jaeger: Axe, bow
Ogre: Axe, WS4
Kislevite

With this, I was quite confident of my ability to cope with elves in CC, but it was not possible while they were sitting on the tower. Thanks to their radars, I could not hope to get close hidden, so I had two options: wait for reinfocements and deal with them instead, or try to outshoot elves.

I did not want to sit in cover and wait, so I decided for one volley with hope for good performance of blunderbuss, some criticals, and that I will survive their shooting back.

However, there was not enough cover for all my warband, so I put aside a group consisting of elder, priest, blood-brother without bow and a new jaeger - those, that were not good enough in shooting plus elder, whom I did not want to risk.

Before the other group got into the volley position (the second group was actually prepared to join with shooting as well), elven reinforcements arrived. Their shooting took my WS5 blood-brother OOA. I considered firing the blunderbuss among them, but then decided that, with everyone in range, I will make bigger impact with charge.

Then my bad luck kicked in again. I was unable to wound, and when I finally wounded, it was not OOA. I admit that elves did not roll very well either - this meant that when I retreated, my ogre was still standing.

Anyway, after this battle, one of my BS4 jaegers and my kislevite died. I bought a BS4 jaeger. Next I am going against Ostermark with 9 models and rating 161.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 7 - Destroy the obelisk against Averlanders

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, 2 daggers, RXB, lucky charm, LA, cookbook, +1 I, haggle
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness,
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, dagger, axe, RXB, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A, BS4
Tsubasa Honkeru - shade, 2 daggers, bow. LD9
Carlo Maggiore - Tilean Marksman
rating 211

Averlanders
Captain and sergeant and two bergjaegers, several halflings and others making total of 16 models
rating 209

In a local lapsus of probability all four pairs rolled 10 in this round which means the obelisk.
The battle was quick and not dramatic. The minotaur wandered slightly off and Michiko blew up the obelisk behind his back without any problem. I won without even seeing an Averlander.

For wyrdstone I rolled 25 that means 5 shards and 66 rolled 6 for d6 crowns. As 6d6 of premium for destroying the obelisk I rolled 31 which was extremely lucky.

Katsuro Orgashi got skill (wyrdstone hunter), Aiko Mondeki skill (trick shooter) and Michiko Takchi +Ld.

And plans for future? I do not know, I shoud replace slavehounds with someone gaining experience, but I hesitate leaving models. Perhaps it will be the shade scout at last.
Last edited by Malman on Wed May 23, 2007 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 8 - Breakthrough against Bretonnians

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, dagger, sword, RXB, lucky charm, LA, cookbook, +1 I, haggle, wyrdstone hunter
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, +1 I, hardened, dodge, trick shooter
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, dagger, axe, RXB, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A, BS4
Carlo Maggiore - Tilean Marksman
Juudai Tokaru - shade scout
Karl Morrisson - warlock (Uzhuul, Cimmerian)
rating 261

Bretonnians
Knight on horse, two knights on foot, squire, two bowmen heroes, many bowmen, one man at arms, bard, elven ranger, all bowmen with BS 4 and longbow. All making 18 models
rating 267

This battle was not very successfull,I let the bretonnians to try to go through and tried to be in position able to move quickly in any direction, but the Bretonnian player outsmarted me and as he is a stockings shooter, who shoots at a single finger of a dramatically posed model, I was paralysed and unable to devise any good strategy.

The battle was much about shooting, but the Bretonnians were able to outnumbered us and they shot well enough to be afraid.

We shot back but without any significant impact. Then our slavehounds charged the group trying to break through supported by Michiko the beastmistress and both our lordlings. But the dogs were unable to do any significant harm .
Then the bretonnians countrecharged and Takai II with Shikyo went OOA. Other model followed, bretonnian arrows put OOA our inept Tilean Carlo Maggiore and the shade scout who tried to attack the elven ranger was removed too. Bretonnian arrows finished Takuro Musura, the shade and I decided it is time to leave.

In the after battle phase I was rrather lucky as only Takuro Musura died and Michiko has to miss nex battle. Hanako got skill (ws hunter), Michiko skill (combat master), shade Kenji Tekumu got I and the other group got Ld.
For wyrdstones I rolled 55431, I rerolled 1 for 1 and 3 for 3 :-)
I found the true map of Mordheim.

Next time I will hardly pay for the hired swords and perhaps get a new shade. I will have to play one battle without dogs but I suppose that it will be against a weaker warband.
Last edited by Malman on Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 9 - The Watchtower against Reikland

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, dagger, sword, RXB, lucky charm, LA, cookbook, +1 I, haggle, wyrdstone hunter
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, dagger, axe, RXB, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A, BS4, WS hunter
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes, combat master (today left home)
Kenji Tekumu - shade, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4, I6
Ichiro Maisara, Masaru Ondake - shades, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4, Ld9
Haruki Makera - shade, 2 daggers, bow
Takai II, Sendo, Shikyo - slavehounds (today left home)
Carlo Maggiore - Tilean Marksman, T4
Juudai Tokaru - shade scout
Karl Morrisson - warlock (Uzhuul, Cimmerian)
rating 261

Reikland
14 model including 3 longbowmen, 2 bowmen, 3 swordsmen, 2 youngbloods, 2 champions, captain and a hired halfling cook.
rating about 193

After her serious injury Michiko and her dogs were left home so I attended the battle with only 12 models. According to the scenarion I divided them into two equal groups. Katsuro Orgashi was placed on the top of the watchtower and the three BS5 shades with Akiko and Carlo Maggiore stood before the tower behind a low wall.
For the first round of sneaking the Reiklanders rolled 1 and moved one inch forward, then I succeeded in rolling one again and discovered them. We hid and waited for reinforcements to arrive.
Reik hurried forward without any hiding. We rolled 6 and the second half of our team arrived. Karl Morrisson rolled his first successful spell and flew onto the tower beside Katsuro.
Our team before the tower sent their bolts and arrows towards the advancing threat and succeeded in stunning the halfling and removing one of the longbowmen.
Reiklanders shot back and killed Kenji Tekumu and Ichiro Maisara. As our arriving team appeared on the right side of the board, reikland foot team moved rightwards too.
Arrivers moved into shooting position and then in a lucky round we were able to remove one more longbowman and one swordsman, stunning one other.
Reikland had the mail shooting force left in the middle. There they stood against Masaru Ondake and Carlo Maggiore. Both shooters did what they could, but they were constantly shot at, good thing was that after they were knocked down or stunned, what became usually after two shots, they were behind the wall and so out of sight. The rest of the Reiklanders tried to get Akiko, but her ability to 4+ dodge was usefull.
In the next round we got another swordsman, and then the Reikland youngloods charged the new shades, Haruki was knocked down and Tsubasa lived through. Hanako charged the youngloods and one of them was stunned, the second one remained on foot, but was not able to do any harm. Our shooting slowed down the Reiklanders advancement, but Hanako was charged by two models, a swordsman and a champion (I forgot when I shot the other champion, but in the end he was OOA ...).
Tsubasa removed the now knocked down younglood and The attackers were unable to harm Hanako. And the sorcerress with and Haruki Makera killed the youngblood.
Reiklanders at last didn´t roll their route test and we ruled the battlefield.

Oh yes, I forgot to mention the magic, Hanako was again unable to cast her spell, Karl rolled the fires of Uzhul 2 times but never hurt anybody.

Both OOA shades died.
Katsuro got +1S, Tsubasa Honkeru +1A, Juudai Tokaru trick shooter, Karl Morrisson haggle.
For the scenario premium (we play as 10d6 not 15 d6) I rolled 1 that means 10 GC. With three rerolls and seeker ability I got 33344 which is 3 wyrdstones and prisoners which gave me new BS5 shade and 9 GC.

So another pyrrhian victory. never mind, I will roll and reroll 333 again. I suppose I will have to buy a witch elf or corsair instead of a new shade to be able to use such a roll. Let´s see next time.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 10 - Take what is not tied against Averland

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, dagger, sword, RXB, lucky charm, true map of Mordheim, LA, cookbook, +1 I, +1S, haggle, wyrdstone hunter
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, RXB, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, dagger, darksteel axe, RXB, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A, BS4, WS hunter
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes, combat master
Hikari Maisara, Masaru Ondake - shades, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4, Ld9
Tsubasa Honkeru - shade, 2 daggers, bow. LD9, A2
Haruki Makera - shade, 2 daggers, bow
Jumiko Daisu - witch elf, dagger, axe
Juudai Tokaru - shade scout, trick shooter
Karl Morrisson - warlock (Uzhuul, Cimmerian), haggle
rating 272

Averland
18 models including Captain, sergeant, two bergjaegers, youngblood, several mountainguards and archers, three halflings, hired halfling and hired elf.
rating about 290

This is a scenario where the greatest benefit is the experience gained for the chests carried.
According to this I decided it will be good to give one to the witch elf to gain advancement immediatelly. Jumiko ran for one of the chests, Michiko surrounded by her dogs got the second one and Katsuro got the third. On the right side of the board were with our leader both lordlings and hired shade scout. On the left side, moved a group consisting of beastmistress, sorcerress, slavehounds and both BS4 shades, Karl Morrisson flew to the extreme left, Carlo Maggiore headed to position on a ruin in the center and both BS5 shades started to climb a tower in the middle.
In the second round one of the averlanders was i position to shoot, but his one and only shot was harmless.
Our shooters climbed into positions and hid, only Karl Morrisson had his first succeessfull fire of Uzhuul and put one of the mountainguards OOA.
In the next round the Averlanders slowly tried to move into position and send some harmless arrows. Our answer was immediate and one shooter was removed and one bergjaeger was knocked down by another Fires of Uzhuul.
Then came the blunderbuss and hit my close combaters group. Five were hit, three wounded, but nobody OOA. Three halflings prepared to shoot on Karl Morrisson, but one arrow was enough. Yet this was the only Averlanders success. In the next round Takai II and Hanako charged and our shooting put OOA two model and Takai finished one halfling and Averland decided to leave.

Karl Morrisson recovered, Aiko got skill (trick shooter), Akiko skill (fey quickness), Hanako skill (haggle), Jumiko Daisu strength and Haruki Makera strength. That means I will probably finish the campaign with only five heroes.

With all the rerolls I got 654222 I rolled 6 for 222 and that ment 2d6´GC, rolled 2. In the chests there were d6 and 2d6 GC (rolled 6) and a rabbits foot.

Next time I will meet Ostermak and this will be a very hard battle indeed.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 11 - Occupation against Ostermark

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, dagger, sword, RXB, lucky charm, true map of Mordheim, LA, cookbook, +1 I, +1S, haggle, wyrdstone hunter
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, +1 I, hardened, dodge, trick shooter, fey quickness
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, RXB, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness
Hanako Sukomi - sorceress, dagger, darksteel axe, RXB, Black Blade of Khaine spell, +1A, BS4, WS hunter
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes, combat master
Haruki Makera - shade, 2 daggers, bow, S4
Jumiko Daisu - witch elf, dagger, axe, S4
Karl Morrisson - warlock (Uzhuul, Cimmerian), haggle
rating 290

Ostermark
20 models including 15 Ostermarkers, two dogs (according to models used cats), three halflings, hired halfling and hired elf and hired Kislevite ranger.
rating about 330

According to the scenario there were 4 important houses in the middle of the table. We play this scenario not as in the rulebook, but without predefined number of rounds, instead of this we from the begining of the sixth round roll dice befor each players move and when six is rolled, the game immediatelly ends.

I had to chose sides so I put my models in a part of woody terrain , I decided to play it to occupy two houses on my side and wait for the enemys moves. In order to suffer only acceptable loses I sent on the left side my dogs and beastmistress and to the right the three hired swords.
The rest of the team stood in the edge of the wood and shot on ostermarkers positioned simillary.
We shot on each other, but neithjer ostermarkers blunderbuss, neither their arrows were overeffective. But they slowly succeeeded to take down all my hired swords and when Jumiko charged one of the cats, she did not hit and then was removed my charge of two youngbloods.
The battle lasted for five rounds. After that three ostermarkers were out and five of my side were OOA too. I had to decide whether to charge wit all my strength and hope to remove enough of the enemies, but risk most of my warband or to quetly go home with my heroes intact. I decided that we are folk of pain but not folk of suicide and that when we live today, we can fight another day when the odds will be better for us and we left the table to Ostermark.

From my OOA model only Karl Morrisson died, so i really was a cheap battle.
According to my tactics, I suppose I could have done more impact if I sent my models to one side and charged, but I am content with the result.

Michio Takchi got LD, she is now Ld 10, Carlo Maggiore got BS, I rolled and rerolled 4 wyrdstone chards and for two fives I got jeweled sword and dagger.

Next time I will meet Amazons, and as the warband is weakened by previous battles, I hope I will win.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 12 - Hunt the heretic against Amazons

Folk of pain
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, axe, RXB, +1 I, hardened, dodge, trick shooter, fey quickness
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes, combat master, Ld10
Jumiko Daisu - witch elf, dagger, axe, S4
Carlo Maggiore - Tilean Marksman, T4, BS5
Fergus Hauptwigs - warlock (Uzhuul, Cimmerian)
rating 300

Amazons
11 nearly naked girls
rating 199

Our new warlock Fergus Hauptwigs asked us to help for a decent sum of money one of his old mentors. The mentor lived in a ruined tower and a vicious witch hunter decided he must be killed as a heretic.
We sent help with Fergus and so in the tower appeared Fergus, Carlo Maggiore and both our lordlings Aiko and Akiko. The rest of our warband waited nearby to catch the witch hunter in a cunningly devised trap.
Then the witch hunter appeared. He was clearly too eager to catch the mentor so he hired first group he met, even though it was a bunch of nearly naked women with three frenzied lunatics, two of whom were clearly on drugs.
They moved behind terrain features so the group on the tower cannot shoot. Nonetheless they noticed the threat and so the restz of our band arrived.
The womed with their leader moved towards the tower and uncoverd themselves to our shooting.
Shikyo charged the witch hunter and the rest of the dogs moved forward followed by Michiko and Jumiko, the mentor cast selver arrows nad killed one amazon, the rest of the shooting was not so successfull, but at least two of the frenzied ladies were knocked down and lost their frenzy.
Then the women charged our slavehounds and shikyo and sendo were taken OOA, only Takai was stunned.
Then came our charge, Jumiko, Michiko, Hanako, Tsubasa, Haruki and Hikari charged the last frenzied amazon and two of her friends. The rest of the team shot, but only the mentor with his silver arrows did any OOA result.
The charges were more successfull and all three amazons went OOA and the girls decided to leave Fergus's mentor alive.

Both our dogs recovered.

With all the rerolls we got 666541 and I will hire ogre or assasin next time.
Juudai Tokamu got eagle eye, Aiko got eagle eye and Katsuro Orgashi got trick shooter.

I sent home Shikyo and hired another witch elf in the group with Jumiko.

Next time I will meet Loflar and his Ostland and we will see if we are able to beat him for the second time.
Last edited by Malman on Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 13 - Wyrdstone hunt against Ostland

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, dagger, sword, RXB, lucky charm, true map of Mordheim, LA, cookbook, +1 I, +1S, haggle, wyrdstone hunter, rabbits foot, trick shooter
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, sword, RXB, +1 I, hardened, dodge, trick shooter, fey quickness
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, sword, RXB, A2, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness eagle eye
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes, combat master, Ld10
Jumiko Daisu, Miko Makure - witch elves, dagger, axe, S4
Juudai Tokaru - shade scout, trick shooter, eagleeye
Fergus Hauptwigs - warlock (Uzhuul, Cimmerian)
Noburu Kaiadachi - druchii assasin
rating 344

Ostland
12 men and 2 ogres
rating about 290

I the dark streets of Mordheim roamed Katsuro Orgashi and looked for greenish glow of the precious wyrdstones. His shades discovered, that this zone of ruins shoul be full of the magical shards.
When the elves moved nearer, they saw another group heading to the wyrdstones. This were the Ostlanders whom Katsuro's warband encontered later.
"Smelly humans and even more smelly ogres," said the leader and waved to his band to split and find position. Aiko and Michiko were appointed to try to get at least two nearest wyrdstone shards.
Stupid ostland leader stood and drolled, but the rest of the warband moved into positions and the ogres went to the ruins on Katsuro's left. Katsuro Orgashi found, that the humans were in a much better position as the ruins on their sade offered better hiding and shooting spots. In a need of action Katsuro ordered the close combat group consisting of two witch elves, two slavehounds, Michiko and Tsubasa Honkeru to move to the archers on the left. He then moved forward too to unhide hidden warriors with his extremely sharp senses.
Michiko moved her group in a close formation, but she forgot the Ostlanders leader who held the precious blunderbuss.
The leader overcame at last his stupidity and fired the alloy of nails, stones, dead mice, broken keys and even some copper coins towards advancing elven warriors. The result was devastating, both dogs remained alive, but fell down, Miko and Tsubasa were immediatelly down without any chance to return in battle. Jumiko and Michiko stood still, but the ostlanders arrows took out even the remaining witch elf leaving Michiko alone. Moreover the ostlanders got even Fergus and elven arrows and bolts were only able to knock down the humans.
Michiko moved quickly into cover and the hail of missiles at last got one enemy.
As the elves were now in cover, even Ostlanders shooting was not so effective.
When at least Sendo the hound recovered, Katsuro Orgashi ordered Michiko to charge one of the enemies. The shooting round at last bore its fruit and two ostlanders left the battle. Even Michiko and her dog succeeded and the ostlanders had to decide their route. The stupid leader didn't recognise his chance and ordered to retreat.

Tsubasa Honkeru and Fergus Hauptwigs were killed, the witch elves recovered.
Akiko Damiko got S, Michiko Takchi A, Masaru Ondake became a hero and got S and Hikari Maisara got S.
With four rerolls we got 6533321 and we even didn't need Juudai's seeker ability. That allowed us to get a new shade who was purchased into the BS5 group. For 2d6 I rolled 9.

In the battle I made one mistake when I put my fighting group into a formation to tight to allow te blunderbuss to be used with maximum efficienfy. After the first hopeless rounds of shooting and after the blunderbuss I even hesitated whether to leave, but before my fifth person was removed to allow me to fall back I succeeded in a rather risky manner and the ostlanders routed. If their test was sucessfull, one of their ogres would probaly charge Michiko and That would be a problem.

Next time there are waiting witch hunters for me and it will be the last battle in this campaign.
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

Ostland perspective again.

History
=======
Since our last encounter, I have not won a single battle. Some were close, but in those cases I routed first ;-)

7) Destroy Obelisk against Ostermark
Rating 161. I lost, but no-one got injured (except an elf ranger serving Ostermark, whom I killed). I bought three new jaegers.
One jaeger became a hero.

8 ) Skirmish against Amazons
Rating 219. I lost (routed). My heroic jaeger became stupid. I bought two kins.

9) Hunt the heretic against Witch Hunters
Rating 246. I lost, because they managed to shot the warlock down from the tower. The arrow, which did it, ricocheted, and killed one jaeger. I bought a new one.

10) If it is not locked, take it, against Reikland
Rating 255. I lost (IIRC I decided to retreat, when my priest barely survived close combat with halfling cook). One blood-brother died, the other one was hardened. I bought a new blood-brother.

11) Streetfight against Averland
Rating 258. I lost (routed). My elder died and one kin as well. My new blood-brother and my non-stupid jaeger hero now hate Averland. My stupid jaeger hero took leadership. I bought one kin.

12) Writing on the wall against Bretonnians
Rating 225. I lost (retreated). One kin died. I bought two new kins and got a free ogre bodyguard.

Our battle
=======
Ostland:
Stupid heroic jaeger in command: sword, bow, blunderbuss, toughened leathers, helmet, lucky charm, Ld8, W2, WS4, A2, Wyrdstone Hunter, Haggle, Taunt
Blood-Brother: sword, bow, toughened leathers, Hardened, S4, I4, Mighty Blow, Resilient, Foul Odour
Blood-Brother: sword, bow, toughened leathers, Hates Averland, Mighty Blow
Priest of Taal: sword, bow, lucky charm, S4, WS3, T4, Tanglefoot, Stag's Leap
Heroic jaeger: sword, bow, toughened leathers, rope, Hates Averland, BS5, I4, W3
2xjaeger: axe, bow, BS4, WS4, A2
2xjaeger: axe, bow, BS4, I4
1xjaeger: axe, bow, A2, S4
2xkin: club, bow, WS4, A2 (but I forgot that they are 2, and used only one...)
1xkin: club, bow
Ostlander ogre: axe, WS4, A3
Ogre bodyguard: sword, club

I was again pretty confident about ability of my hard hitters to cut elves to pieces, but the way the terrain was layed out, there was a killing field in the middle, so the side which would dare to cross the opening, would have to withstand one salve. Considering my two large targets and all the possible reserves of poison, I was not going to try that.

I put my ogres to one side, so elves attacked on the other one. My shot from blunderbuss was quite lucky. Then I started to retreat, because elven radars were unhiding my archers, and I did not want a full scale shooting contest with elves.

Then the beastmaster with a dog made a suicidal attack on my lone jaeger (The A2 S4 one). True, the jaeger went OOA, but Malman is right. If I rolled the route test, the beastmistress would have to get very personal with my ogre, my smelly hero with his mighty blow and possibly even with my stupid leader.

My two jaegers died. I found prisoners, i.e. a new jaeger. I bought a jaeger and a ruffian.
(Yes, ruffians are weak, but I will probably lose the next battle against Ostermark anyway, so I decided to do it with a style ;-)
Malman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Malman »

Battle 14 - Breakthrough against Witch hunters

Folk of pain
Katsuro Orgashi, noble, dagger, sword, RXB, lucky charm, true map of Mordheim, LA, cookbook, +1 I, +1S, haggle, wyrdstone hunter, rabbits foot, trick shooter
Aiko Mondeki - lordling, dagger, sword, RXB, +1 I, hardened, dodge, trick shooter, fey quickness, eagle eye
Akiko Damiko - lordling, dagger, sword, RXB, A2, S4, trick shooter, hardened, dodge, fey quickness eagle eye
Michiko Takchi - beastmistress, beastlash, 1 hand, I4, lightning reflexes, combat master, Ld10, A2
Masaru Ondake - heroic shade, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4, Ld9, S4
Hikari Maisara, Hiudai Oreko- shades, two daggers, bow, with BS5, WS4, Ld9, S4
Haruki Makera - shade, 2 daggers, bow, S4, A2
Jumiko Daisu, Miko Makure - witch elves, dagger, axe, S4, I6
Juudai Tokaru - shade scout, trick shooter, eagle eye
Klaus Hungerstahl - warlock (Uzhuul, Rezhebel)
Noburu Kaiadachi - druchii assasin
Bertram Stahlhard - pitfighter
rating 396

Witch Hunters
about 13 men and a halfling
rating about 320

14 battles and the campaign is over due to vacancies comming. Our last chance to prove our superiority. The witch hunters decided they will defend against our attempt to breakthrough.

The witch hunters positioned their four best shooters in elevated positions, but I saw, they can be easily avoided by moving mostly out of sight.

In the first round we split in the human group which tried to go leftwards and the elves who ran towards the middle right side. In the first round of shooting only Takai II was seen and the halfling shot him and took OOA, the captain moved and tried to get Carlo, but missed.
Most of the elves moved out of sight of the shooters, only Masaru Ondake was in position to shot on one of the BS3 zealots positioned on ground. Carlo shot at the captain and shot him critically, but due to captains lucky charm the witch hunter was only knocked down. Klaus tried to hurt him with fires of uzhuul, but without success.
The witch hunters shot in vain, only the captain stunned Klaus.
The shade henchmen, assasin and both lordlings moved into position towards one of the elevated shooters, Sendo was sent forwards to try to breakthrough on his own. Bolth witch elves and the pit fighter prepared to charge. The shooters succeeded and the witch hunter was killed, Carlo with another critical success took the captain OOA.
From behind the central building moved a herd of flagellants with priest and finished their movement just before our shooters. The halfling then shot Miko OOA.
Bertram charged, Sendo overcame his stupidity test and moved to the opposite side. Carlo moved on his side forward to try to breakthrough before we are too flagellantised. Jumiko forcedly charged - I supposed her to be in charge range of one of the zealots, but she had to charge one of the flagellants instead. Bertram stunned his zealot, Jumiko was stunned herself and the shooters shot on the nearest flagellant without any impact. (it was only 11 s3 shots.... :-) )
The countercharge was cruel. The priest charged Hanako and the flagellants charged shades and assasin. Two shades and assasin were OOA, but I succeeded in eliminating the priest. Bertram was charged by a flagellant guarding the opposite side and stunned.
Then we charged with all the remaining force. Sendo again passed his stupidity test and left the board, Carlo moved again forward. There was nobody left to shoot and we succeeded in eliminating three flagellants, one of them killed by Katsuro's personal sword. The following route test finished the witch hunters hope.

Never give up whe situation looks bad we outnumbered the flagellants and even after their rather successfull round we were able to change the situation to our benefit.

As it was the last battle, it was not very important, but Jumiko and Bertram died, Katsuro got A, Hanako skill (not decided which) and Noburu the assasin got skill (not decided what). I rolled an rerolled 6665431 which means 5 wyrdstones and a returned favour. According to the enormous sum I will pay my hired swords I will be unable to buy a new witch elf, I will have to hope for 333 in the future.

What is the conclusion? I was rather successfull even with the Druchii, the warband is interesting and playable, but not easy to play. I suggested some improvements in the feedback thread.

As to my dead: during the 14 battles I lost a beastmistress, a sorcerress, heroic shade, four shades, two warlocks, a pit fighter, a witch elf and one dog with anothe dog missing in action after the beastmistress died. This is 12 deaths and 1 MIA which is not very far from Loflars 14 in the last campaign. I feel that even with that death ratio I fared well.