A black ark has weighed anchor in the river Stir.....

Discuss and participate in the development of the Mordheim Druchii warband here.

Moderators: Loflar, The Dread Knights

2thedeath
Slave (off the Altar)

A black ark has weighed anchor in the river Stir.....

Post by 2thedeath »

I'm running a Mordheim campaign in my local games club. It started in January 2012 & will run until January 2013. The winner of the campaign is the warband with the most loot.... Simple as that :D

Warbands are collecting treasures, shards & gold with deft efficiency. Our own club forum has threads set up for trading & contracts to assassinate or hamper other warbands. It's still early days but things are panning out nicely.

I'm now on my third warband :roll: The reason being that I just get a little bored of the same thing, I've progressed both my Pirates & my Middenheimers but they just aren't doing what I want. To be honest I'm not fussed about winning the campaign....I just want to 'cause mayhem!! :twisted:

I have decided that Dark Elves might be the answer, I realise that they will be a little fragile to start with but as you can appreciate I have plenty of time to get them up to the level of lethality I desire.

I'm using Loflar's 2.2 revision list because it seems well thought out & user friendly...It will also prevent my fellow games club members from moaning about unofficial warbands being broken etc. etc... :roll: (They are a good bunch of gamers to be honest ;) )

The List (I am always open to advice so please feel free to dish it out):

Noble:145gc
Light armour
SDC
RXB
2x Sword

Lordling1:65gc
2x Sword

Lordling2:65gc
2x Sword

Sorceress:55gc
Sword

Beastmaster:60gc
Sword
Beastlash

Slavehounds x2:50gc

Corsair:60gc
Axe
RXB

Waddooya think??
"If that's a straight line I'm a Turks arse!!"
Cuban eight
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cuban eight »

With my limited experience with my warband I would be considering a shade as your henchmen with the RxB instead of the corsair. The extra 1 Ballistic Skill helps if you are shooting at long range, into cover or repeat firing I've found. Unless you are planning on running the corsair into close combat in which case you could give the crossbow to one of your more survivable heroes.

After losing my Noble in the second game the light armour and sea dragon cloak doesn't seem such a waste of gold as I thought when I set my team up! :lol:
2thedeath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by 2thedeath »

Mmmm, yeah It was a flip between a corsair & shade.... In retrospect I'll probably take the shade for the extra BS like you said :D

Got a game this Sunday so i'll post up the results...I've got some pictures of my warband in the early stages of assembly, I'll post them up to 8)
2thedeath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by 2thedeath »

Here's a picture of the stuff I've grabbed pretty cheap from Ebay

Afew days later & my new warband is starting to take shape, anything painted wasn't painted by me.... The dramatic backdrop was provided by my young son :D

Undercoating & I might start painting tomorrow ;) [/img]
Dangerous Beans
The Guiding Eye
Location: Sat drinking 'soul stealer' cocktails in the city of Vilebrier with Morathi...

Post by Dangerous Beans »

Nice! I like the look of it :) Do you have a link to your campaign? Are you using any modifications to the rules? EG. Armour modifiers based on armour pen only (strength stats do not affect it) eg. Axe = armour pen 1 (-1 armour save), great weapons = armour pen 2 (-2 armour save) and perhaps black powder = armour pen 1 along with some other specific weapons (halberd = armour pen 1). Also, rules for parrying - do 2 swords give you 2 parries? etc...

Strategy wise you appear to have 2 strats going on: I think I would try to use the multi shot firepower that is available to you from the start by arming almost every model with a repeater crossbow: gain your exp from shooting kills if you can during the warbands early games along with cold one hound meatshields (they don't gain xp anyway), then with your exp shape your force into a more combat focused killing machine with the addition of witch elves in henchmen (I'm not overly sold on corsairs to be honest), otherwise I think you'll find that your low numbers will play against you...
Cuban eight
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cuban eight »

Nice figures. I've been using some miniatures from Avatars of War, with some old and new Citadels. One issue you might have with the sorceress (nice model by the way!) is being such a line of sight game, having her standing on a ball of magic plasma might make her hard to hide behind cover. Those bastard Reiklanders and such will make a lot of spotting a finger or strand of hair popping up over the top of a wall and claiming shooting rights.
2thedeath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by 2thedeath »

Thanks for the replies chaps :D

In answer to your questions we are using the newer versions of the rules so the axe/halberds/black powder etc do have armr pen bonuses. If you have two swords you can parry with both but you can't parry a six.

Other rules we have adapted is random events...We tend to let everyone playing roll a dice at the start of their turn for random events, you'll be surprised how many ones you don't get but even so it cam make things interesting.

Mmmm! yeah good strategy with the RXB Dangerous Beans ;) It didn't really occur to me before, having them a bit "stand offish" & shooting the crap outta other warbands with RXB's...With the added bonus of not having to search for more RXB's at the end of the game.. Might give the warband a tweak.

I did look at the AoW figures & was a gnats-knacker away from buying them, what swayed me towards the Reaper Sorceress & the West-wind DE warriors was the price...they where cheap, to the point where I paid as much for nearly all the metal ones as I would have for one AoW...Gotta love a bargain! :lol:

You are right about the Sorceress on the ball of plasma (glad you knew what I was trying to achieve ;) ) with her being a bit tall I'm counting on even the smallest amount of scenery in line of sight adding +1 to their BS throw, luckily the group of gamers I play with are pretty honest & fair when it comes to that sort of thing.

Sadly they didn't get out of my KR Multi case today :cry: I forgot we had the Zoo of Doom (ZoD)game today... Basically in Mordheim there was a large zoo, the animals weren't kept in secure cages, instead they where restrained by Warp stones & warlock magical enchantments, when the comet struck, it decimated the penned off area's & the enchantments. The extremely dangerous animals within being very territorial, didn't wander far, however the warp stone & shards made the whole place absolutely jam packed with rich pickings for those brave enough to venture in.
I needed a warband with a bit of oomph! to hack through a few monsters & creatures & pick up some glittering booty, so my Middenheimers got the job.

I'm hoping next week they'll get to play :)
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

2TheDeath wrote:You are right about the Sorceress on the ball of plasma (glad you knew what I was trying to achieve ;) )

That is why I am using her without the ball ;-) Another problem I encountered is that too high models do not fit into lower levels of some houses.
2thedeath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by 2thedeath »

Loflar wrote:
2TheDeath wrote:You are right about the Sorceress on the ball of plasma (glad you knew what I was trying to achieve ;) )

That is why I am using her without the ball ;-) Another problem I encountered is that too high models do not fit into lower levels of some houses.

.......She's staying on the ball :D
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Post by Loflar »

OK, I have confused her with the High Elf Mage on Elemental Base model (that woman with staff pointed forward), which I sometimes use as DE sorceress. That one can be separated from the ball.
2thedeath
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by 2thedeath »

I haven't forgotten this thread.... Work has taken over a little :roll:

Hoping to get some painting done this week.