Darksteel Daggers

Discuss and participate in the development of the Mordheim Druchii warband here.

Moderators: Loflar, The Dread Knights

Cuban eight
Slave (off the Altar)

Darksteel Daggers

Post by Cuban eight »

I think I know the answer to this one already but I thought I'd put it out there. In the warband rules it says you pay 3x the price for darksteel weapons. So if I get my first dagger for free.. ummm.. my maths is not good but:

3 x 0 = 0

So I could fit my warband out with darksteel daggers for nadda!

I can see my opponents calling me beardy already. !lol!

Anyone see a flaw in my master plan?

Edit: On a perhaps less beardy note would it be worthwhile purchasing darksteel daggers at the going rate of 6gc for a starting warband? Looking at the topic title I can't help thinking that it would make a good warband name - the much feared "Darksteel Daggers". Along the lines of the Katherine Kerr Deverry series (Silver Daggers), membership of the band requires you to have a darksteel dagger on your hip. Maybe just for full members (heroes) and the probationary members (henchmen) can miss out for starters.

I don't want to nerf my starting band too much in the beginning with some backstory fluff!

C8
Loflar
Warband Noble
Warband Noble

Re: Darksteel Daggers

Post by Loflar »

Cuban eight wrote:I think I know the answer to this one already but I thought I'd put it out there. In the warband rules it says you pay 3x the price for darksteel weapons. So if I get my first dagger for free.. ummm.. my maths is not good but:

3 x 0 = 0

So I could fit my warband out with darksteel daggers for nadda!

I can see my opponents calling me beardy already. !lol!
Anyone see a flaw in my master plan?

Interesting. I admit that during warband design, we did not expect this level of rule twisting. It could probably be argued, that DS weapons, as listed in equipment lists, can be gotten this way only at the start of the campaign. Later, they are rare. So at least after start of the campaign, by wanting free DS dagger, you risk having none at all. Hmm, and now, looking into rules review, it says that "new recruits come equipped with their free dagger" and cannot buy rare items. So it seems to me that at least after first battle, free DS dagger is unavailable. I am not enough of a rules lawyer to see something forbidding free DS dagger at the beginning, so I will leave it on your friends to lynch you if you do it.

Edit: On a perhaps less beardy note would it be worthwhile purchasing darksteel daggers at the going rate of 6gc for a starting warband?

I don't know. I have seen them used, but they still have +1 to AS and axes are cheaper. I can see reason for DS axe, DS sword, DS spear, halberd or draich (if you can afford it), but I would probably not buy DS dagger.
Cuban eight
Slave (off the Altar)

Re: Darksteel Daggers

Post by Cuban eight »

I found in a faq a reference to someone asking the same thing about Ithilmar and Gromril weapons. Apparently your first dagger is free and completely normal. For an upgraded one you must pay for it and the upgrade which makes sense.

In the end I compromised and paid for my leader to have a darksteel dagger. Had to forgo a helmet to pay for it, but whats a warband without some fluffy backstory? ;)

Initial rollcall for the Darksteel Daggers-

Heroes

Dreadlord - Kornan Darksteel:
Sword
Axe
Repeater Crossbow
Darksteel Dagger
Dagger

Lordling:
Draich
Dagger
Repeater Crossbow
Helmet

Lordling:
Sword
Dagger
Repeater Crossbow

Sorceress:
Spear
Dagger
Repeater Crossbow
Doombolt

Beastmistress:
Beastlash
Sword
Dagger
Repeater Crossbow

Henchmen

Slavehounds x2

Played a game last night and had the best start I've ever had with a warband. Playing two other warbands we drew defend the find and I ended up in the middle fighting against two warbands, both of which outnumbered mine. Skaven and Orcs. Suffice to say I rolled unbelievably well and shot down the skaven leader and wizard, causing a rout test which was failed. Then did a similar thing with fighting/shooting to the orcs. The skaven player then rolled his warband leader into death in the post game phase, something that usually happens to me!
I ended up with enough cash to buy a third slavehound and also a witch. Gave the Beastmistress the Master of Poisons feat and generated 1 Dark Venom for next battle. Combined with some Black Lotus for the witch the next game should be interesting.