Campaign results?

Talk about all aspects of the Nemesis Crown summer campaign here

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Campaign results?

Post by Crawd »

Sound like the campaign wasn't really a campaign but a story told by them where the result was already made. I thought we were first in the 2 first weeks but after watching the results: here it sounds like we weren't.

Another things that doesn't seem right, all the "good" armies are above the "evil" armies which makes the campaign even more pre-determined.

Is the campaign was nothing but a huge lie to the players?
Rork
Lord of Khorne
Lord of Khorne

Post by Rork »

I suspect that is was pre-determined with a certain amount of "wiggle room".

So Dwarfs and the good guys were always going to do well, but the details of the outcome and whatever level of 'tragedy' might befall them would vary. And there would no doubt be objectives that would still suit each army.

The core weakness of Warhammer as a campaign setting compared to 40k is that you can't really do anything particularly apocalyptic. Entire worlds, cities and continents get obliterated on a regular basis in 40k (I'd guess the administratum has a quota) without it affecting the balance of power.

You just can't do the same "Muhahaha! We killed billions!" and get away with it in warhammer. SoC left me jaded to warhammer campaigns, so I didn't follow this one at all. Seems I made the right decision :|.

"Rork.. a wonderful guy :)" - Linda Lobsta Defenda

+++ Team Mulligans +++
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Another things that doesn't seem right, all the "good" armies are above the "evil" armies which makes the campaign even more pre-determined.

Or that might actually have been how the battles played out. The SoC had much the same sort of result, partly because they had more players on the good side than the evil side, and partly because the Orcs sided with them.

Basic result as far as the Druchii are concerned: They got trashed, and Malekith's probably going to have his lord high executioner shorten a few people by about a head or so.

Although the result for what to do with the crown was a bit idiotic, I thought. Yeah, lets hide it in Karaz-a-Karak, even though the Deathmaster proved that he could infiltrate it at will if he felt like and hang around, murdering Dwarfs left and right before probably skipping off into the night, giggling all the while as he uses the crown as a fancy hat.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Lazarus
Phlebotomist of Khaine

Post by Lazarus »

What really made me chuckle was GW making a fuss about cheaters, threatening and even eliminating a few, but any cursory glance at the results would still show a few generals who had supposedly won 10+ massacres in a single day or even for several days in a row with all of those games being "confirmed". Whatever, just another marketing ploy. Bring on some new dark elf minis in metal and be quick about it.
I've been to Middenheim,
I've been to Ulthuan,
I've been to Cathay too,
So what, so what
so what so what you boney little f***
Darthken
Assassin
Location: Australia, the place where kangaroo's hop down the street with a can of fosters in their pouch

Post by Darthken »

yeah im not so into these warhammer campaigns anymore either.
cause all of a sudden new rules,magic items,army list appear and then a couple of months later its all confusion as some places let you use them and some don't

cause our tournaments here are still allowing SoC which most others have stopped
you don't know the power of the darkside
Dark guardian
Corsair

Post by Dark guardian »

I am just wondering how we supposedly failed. We never had the crown as our main goal. we were there for fun and recreation. you know, take slaves kill HE, Dwarves, ect. It said so in the very first hand out that the DE had no real intention to get their hands on it.
"Have you killed many?"
"More than I can easily count."
"This can mean two things, either you do not have a head for figures or you have killed many."
"I can count past 200."
"That is a respectable number."
-Domes of Fire by David Eddings
Darkest one
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkest one »

Dark Guardian makes a good point we were just there to mess up the High Elf's Plans
Don't make me hurt you.......
You know I will
Crawd
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Crawd »

It's not about winning or losing that I made this post but really because of the results, take a look at the order:

1- Dwarf
2- Bretonnia
3- Wood Elves
4- High Elves
5- Empire
6- Vampire Counts
7- Lizardmen
8- Skaven
9- Tomb King
10- Ogre Kingdom
11- Orcs and Goblins
12- Hordes of Chaos
13- Dark Elves
14- Beastmen

Something's wrong in the picture... I'm glad that some fan campaigns are made, like the Hour of the Wolf from Asur.org in those, you know the result isn't cheated.
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

This campaign actually convinced me to retire from playing warhammer. I'll stick with the fluff thank you, and maybe take up 40k where entire worlds can get obliterated.

EDIT: just felt like clarifying- I've actually decided to put more priority on fan-made campaigns. Those tend to have enough people dedicated to doing a good job so players don't generally get ignored and the results are completely up in the air.
Last edited by Fingol darkwater on Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Slerac fellblade »

Where I was the campaign was meaningless because no one registered online. Most of the players read the fluff and were like "wait a minute theres no chance of my army getting this crown screw this." So all my battls though they actually happened were against unregistered opponents.
Ian: We are trying to help as many starving children as possible
Me: Wait a day and there will be less of them
Kergoth
Corsair

Post by Kergoth »

The problem with this campaign is that few people actually cared about it. You can see it in the number of battles fought, in the activity on nemesis forums and the somethimes un-fluffy alliances of certain races.

Don't understand me wrong about that last point, I think it is good for them and kind of the point of this all campaign stuff, but GW really wanted to give each race his own objective and as such a stand alone fraction.

But anyway,..., GW will have to rethink the way they wanna do warhammer campaign's because right now the're just not interesting.
There are 24 beers in a pack
There are 24 hours in a day
coincidence?
I think NOT!
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

my problem is this: from beginning, O+G were almost the only evil force that was able to actually get the crown (according to gw background-and: what else can we rely on?) and then, Grimgor just wants to go there, to make sure non of the other warbosses gets it and he himself just goes there because the crown will attract mighty warriors he can fight????
vamps didn´t care about the crown at all, all they wanted is an army. we couldn´t even start fighting for it because our forces were way to weak. and the story continues...
so how on earth should any evil force actually have been able to get the crown???

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Walrusm3
Cold One Knight

Post by Walrusm3 »

Heck me. I left the campaign during the 5th week. THis campaign official sucked so bad! But either way, I've left it (For now) and started collecting warhammer Historical. I most likely won't be back for 2yrs so that I can try the campaign again (And Games workshop better do a better job next time!)
Sanity... is for the weak!
Vel demere
Dark Rider

Post by Vel demere »

Again the problem that the campaign was in the Empire so will get the good races involved, no reason for the other races to fight. If I am going to play next time I want to know what I am fighting for and for that to have a significant and pertinant impact in future games (ie a new magic item).

GW must try harder
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Well I found it funny how GW has had a survey at the end of this campaign and i rated this campaign as absolutely atrocious and for some reason my input could not go through.

I tried using Firefox as well as the dread Internt Explorer. Seems to me like they don't want honest criticism.
Mr. anderson
Dark Illusionist

Post by Mr. anderson »

Slerac, i doesn´t matter what you try (i gave very good marks once and very bad marks once), they always report an error during submitting the survey!

HUZZAH!
When I think of something witty, I shall put it here.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

See I just kept trying o stick by my gubns because I didn't want that suvey to work and them see tha I enjoyed this piec of crap campaign.
Bonemagus
Cold One Knight

Post by Bonemagus »

Wow its funny to see so many people whine about something without making any kind of a suggestion on how they would have possibly done something differently...

Wow guys do you just need someone's shoulder to cry on?

I mean no offense but sheesh...

BTW I played a lot of games though I got busy near the end and didn't get to play so much. I also organized all 4 mega battles at my local store and so what if the Orcs were the only evil army that could actually get the crown easily. Every race had their goals and I thought it was a lot of fun to add a little fluff to normal games.
Bloodyangel
Black Guard

Post by Bloodyangel »

I think there were a lot of reasons why people didn't like the campaign hun... Personally, I agree. It was kind of a crock. The story only mattered to the armies that JUST got new revisions, and the end seems very much like it was set in stone.

You want a suggestion? Ok... Here's a suggestion. They make a story that, say... involves everyone and won't utterly ruin the world if one of the evil armies takes it.

My idea? Teleportation gates made by the Slann ages back, that only the eldest of them still know the secrets of. Back in the day, the Slann built one on every major continent, for ease of moving their minions and the like around when they dominated the earth at the side of the old ones. One of the gates is rediscovered and there is strong belief that a mage might be able to operate them. Thus, do the races run amok each trying to claim and hold the gates, to use for themselves. After all... Imagine if the Druchii could whisk an entire army onto Ulthuan without that long boat-ride? Or if chaos could use them to open more portals to the realm of daemons and spill more darkness onto the land? Even the "good" armies could find use for them. Trade with Cathay? No longer a huge, overland trip! Exploring regions that they cannot easily reach? Simply done! There could be a large scale battle over each of the remaining gates, with some trying to claim them, and others, like the slann themselves, trying to shut them down so that they cannot be abused. It could be fun.

As for the actual mechanics of running the games? I don't know. But I really think they need to stop writing campaigns for their 4 favorite armies and toss a bone to the others from time to time... I would love to see a campaign about a second war between the high and dark elves that threatens everyone... or an long-ancient tomb-king waking and seeking to wipe all life from the planet. (Even the vampires would be against that, as they need people for food) Or a bunch of skaven and followers of nurgle seeking to cause a catastrophic blight and plague across the empire. A bizarre alliance between the beastmen, orcs and ogres that threatens the entire continent. I just think they could have written something WAY more interesting than "the quest for a magic crown that only three or four people are actually after... one of whom doesn't even plan to use it".

Waste of time...
Anyone looking for awesome art, here's the girl to see... her stuff is amazing!

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/fuju ... index.html
Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

i think people are missing the point that this was meant to be finished at the beginning of Lord of the rings but then Isildo.... i mean Thorgrim took the "crown" for himself, thus setting up for further, related stories.

The campaign's story was kinda really dull, and since none of us have an empire, bret, ork or dwarf army we didn't really see ourselves winning. But did take it as an opportunity to cry "soon we will claim the crown, the one crown to rule them all" when ever we had a win, which is always an important factor in these sorts of things...
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.
Slerac fellblade
Malekith's Best Friend

Speak for yourself Akimoto I own an Empire Army in fac it is actually about 6,000+ points large.

Main thing was as people have said only three armies had a chance of getting the crown which were the Orcs, Empire and Dwarves. Everyone elses storyline was the achytypical storyline for their race.

Dark Elves want slaves, High Elves want to capture some ruins and maybe a magic item or two that they thought lost, Beasts wanted to kill as did chaos, wood elves wanted beats to no longer exist, brets were there to stop evil and hopefully gain some empire territory and some how lizardmen were there as were khemri doing their thang.
Bonemagus
Cold One Knight

Post by Bonemagus »

4 favorite armies? Its always funny to see people take this foolish assumption that somehow GW doesn't like their army.

Last campaign everyone was like Chaos is going to win because GW likes them, better than us. The Good Guys won despite the evil GW rigging the game against Chaos. Now its oh the Dwarves, Empire, Orcs and not sure who else are somehow more favored armies? I just don't get it GW wants to sell models so they totally ignore for sinister secret reasons the other 10 armies because these 4 are special.

Besides High Elves sell about as bad as Dark Elves, Empire has always been their top story line army (size location) but is closer to the bottom in model sales. Not many Empire players when compared to Wood Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, Vampire Counts, Chaos, Lizardmen, or heck Even Skaven, Ogre Kingdoms. I mean other than empire the only armies I have seen less are Dark Elves and Tomb Kings. Yet somehow they are a GW favorite? Chaos was until about a year ago by far the most common army out there. Yet they got trampled... This GW rigging the campaign is pretty silly stuff.

Bah personally while your idea is sort of interesting its been done a lot in fantasy. As has the big evil artifact I must say also but I don't see how your idea has any real difference from the GW one. It still has to be set somewhere and likely set somewhere where one of the races or more has an upper hand. There is just no where in the GW world where the dynamic really exists.

I mean again don't want to rain on your idea but how is it different from what GW just did?
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

I think that this campain was ok. not great but ok. I understand all the points on this whole page. It could have been alot better yes but it was allright. thats what i think atleast.
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Akimoto
Noble

Post by Akimoto »

oh sorry, what i meant was in my group of friends, none of us own the afore mentioned "4 favored armies".

And by favorite it just means the ones with the most recent updates. There are usually 2-3 armies updated between each campaign, so usually they're the ones it will focus on, it makes sense as it's a chance to make people want to play those armies.

A similar thing will happen when dark elves are redone...
Yori Temel -- group 22

WS5 / S4 / T5 / D4 / I4

Equipment - Repeater crossbow, double-bladed spear, Light Armour, Heavy armour, helm, spiky vambraces, (stored: Zukhil sword, Shield)
Skills - Awareness, basic heal
Other: 1831gc, The Dragons Eye Amulet, Talisman of light, Healing Talisman, 15x healing balms, boots, gloves, woolen cloak, hatchet, backpack, rope, a Flint and Tinder, bedroll.
Bloodyangel
Black Guard

Post by Bloodyangel »

I think you misread what I wrote Bonemagus. I didn't accuse them of rigging the campaign. Lord knows there are plenty of others who are... but I am not one of them.

What I accused them, was of writing fluff and story for their campaign that really mattered to so few armies. Honestly, I don't think GW rigged it, in so much as a bunch of the players of some of those other armies just, didn't care as much to participate. I mean, how many Druchii players have you seen on this site who said "I was going to play, but this campaign is awful"? I know I've seen a good number.

What I wanted to see is them stop being lazy and write some new motivations or goals for the more forgotten races. It wouldn't be all that hard. After this campaign I'm convinced that the "storylines" written for American professional wrestling are done with more care. The campaign was run entirely around the armies who just got new updated books and models... to sell the new, updated books and models, and convince people to start up those armies. That was what I meant by "their favorites". The armies that they picked to update first. Why they choose those ones specifically? Well... if you don't think GW is fond of Dwarves and greenskins, then we DO disagree.

Rant aside... I think they could have written something better.. that's all. They could have made the pretense of caring about someone other than the newly-updated armies. It will hardly matter, since we got stomped, but I'm pretty sure even if the Druchii had come out on top, our fluff for it would have been something along the lines of "During the chaos of the dark elven attacks, the dwarves stole the crown and ran off to hide it... You dark elves took a lot of slaves though... I guess. Like you do every day. Good job!". It was a crock. They could have at least said that our goal was to take and fortify someplace on the coasts of the empire and have our own little "Arnhiem" in the human lands. Then at least the map would have changed...
Anyone looking for awesome art, here's the girl to see... her stuff is amazing!

http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/fuju ... index.html