hello everyone !

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

hello everyone !

Post by Joshy »

I am a returning Warhammer hobbyist I first got lured to the world of Warhammer back when Lord of the Rings - the 2 towers was out at the cinema. Since then I have collected Mainly Dark Elves but I also own some Tomb Kings and Wood Elves and for some unknown reason have an old mega battle force Space marine box still sealed on my shelf.

Dark Elves were my first true love and shall remain ever so I mean lets face it that's why were all here right ? lol

I must admit it has been over 2 years now since I really last played a proper game and spent devoted hours to the Warhammer hobby. So why the return you might ask ? - I thought I was spending far too much of my spare time in front of a pc or games console and wanted to do something creative and this option came to mind.

My name is Joshua and I own a modest size collection of Dark Elves, back when I was playing full time in the past I was known for my shooting armies because I loved to roll handfuls of dice. I look forward to becoming a respected and well known member of your community here :)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Welcome! And a damn good reason to come back too... Pretty much the same as mine :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Welcome mate. Well met.

I too am a returned hobbyist. Got back into it for similar reasons. Nothing quite so satisfying as building and painting an army with your hands.

Hope you enjoy your return to the hobby, and find as much fulfillment as I have.

Cheers

- Amarok
Overwhelmed as one would be, placed in my position.
Such a heavy burden now to be the One.
Born to bear and bring to all the details of our ending,
To write it down for all the world to see...

But I forgot my pen...
Lady kaerlith
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Lady kaerlith »

Welcome to the community!

On a mildly related note, I've noticed this forum seems to have a higher proportion of Europeans than most of the other forums I post on.
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone ! :)

I have a digital camera and can take pictures of what i own, what i have painted and what needs work. So if you want to see anything feel free to request a picture it won't take me very long at all ;)
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Perhaps consider starting a Plog? Helps with motivation for you. Helps with eye candy for us :).

Win-win ;)

But I forgot my pen...
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

erm whats a plog ? :D

~edit~ ... photo log ... LOL
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Usually painting log, but photo log works too! ;)

But I forgot my pen...
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

Welcome to the site and back to the hobby.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

I will probably do both because i haven't mastered the use of my camera well i have but not for something so small only used it so far to take picture of people. I tried last night but only 2 of 24 shots came back any good so i will use a pain log and try and add pictures if i can get more out of my camera i should be able too it has built in zoom and is a 14 mega pixle one !

Thank you to everyone by the way you have all made me feel most welcomed here :)
Amarok
Executioner

Post by Amarok »

Check out the stickies (i.e the links listed at the top) in the P&M forum. There are some really good guides to taking photos of miniatures, from using light boxes (to diffuse shadows from around the model), to resizing photos, lamp setups, macro settings etc etc.

When you have something you're proud of, and/or would like feed back on, or just want to share, please post pics!

Settle in mate. Enjoy your time in the Land of Chill ;)

- Amarok

But I forgot my pen...
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

Great advice Amarok i shall read that shortly.

I only have one model really i am proud of so far i know what you must be thinking just 1 ? but yeah i keep the first ever model i painted as a sign of how much i have progressed. My show piece model is a black guard champion and just on his cape alone is 25 layers of paint. My technique was to use lich purple with a hint of black to make it even darker then just highlighting the parts that stuck out on the cape painted them in. I built up the layers using less and less paint and in each layer the purple paint was made a hint brighter. It created the illusion that the cape was bathed in daylight and created the effect of shadow within the cape. The highlight (no pun intended) is the eyes however i was able to give the model a white eye without it being sloppy like his eyes were wide open (the model looks like it is meant to be wide eyed i think) and i have also added black pupils too and in the same corner of the eye as he is looking. Hopefully i will be able to take pictures that do the model justice :)
Irrelevant
Trainee Warrior

Post by Irrelevant »

Welcome to D.net.

And yes, now we really need to see that black guard champion. Sounds like you really took your time on it.
Joshy
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Joshy »

I took 41 pictures and they have came out better then i thought they had one even captures the eyes i was talking about. I shall upload them sometime today because i have edit them.

~edit~ as requested here is a link to those pictures i was talking about

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?p=862265#862265