Seasons Greetings!

Introduce yourself to the forum and tell us a little about your journey to the land of the Dark Elves...

Moderator: The Dread Knights

Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Seasons Greetings!

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Hi folks,

I kinda miss the old forum layouts of years past (damn you discord and Facebook groups!) and finally have the money to buy whatever I want from the old 6th edition Dark Elves code. I had no idea how to play back then, nor did I know how to collect an army. I had two corsair command sets and one set of regular corsairs... along with one single Black Guard command and six executioners! The three Witch Elves I had also didn't help me make up an actual, fielable army, nor did the beastmaster as I had no beasts. Plenty of plastic warriors were ruined with too much glue though thankfully! So after a long time of collecting Night Lords for 40K, then getting more into anything that wasn't space marines (I started to find marines to be pretty boring), then eventually getting bored again with 40K as a whole, I found myself absolutely enraptured by those models, backgrounds and that old world that held an iron grasp around my imagination as a kid.

The depth of common rules, the rules for siege warfare! The sheer amount of OPTIONS available to your lords and heroes! The mythical beasts, massive and small. The White Dwarf magazines with volumes and volumes of alternative test rules for your models (a magic-wielding Hydra with a missing head? A Royal Hydra for Malekith with Tyranid Chitin Carapace bitz for armour? Rules for a northern Dark Elf detachment sent out from guard towers?). The many lures of magic (being able to literally cut off advancement routes with a field of fire is a crazy cool notion, as is transforming your wizard into a dragon in the middle of a battle or summoning a black hole into a regiment).

My point being that I like the older games and models.

So here I am!
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Seasons Greetings!

Post by Calisson »

Hi, Cthelthmoore, and welcome to the forum. :D
It is hardly much active anymore, but there are still old timers lurking it regularly.

The most important factor for your comeback to DE is who are your playing partners.
Whether they are playing 6th ed, or 8th ed, or The 9th Age, will determine where you could go for your next models.
If ever you are curious about The 9th Age, be aware that the rules make it a very well balanced game, much better written than 8th edition which inspired it.
Moreover, the new edition of the DE army book will be released on 10th of December, in its alpha version. Worth giving a look.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Cheers dude, do you know if there are any tactics topics for beginners for 6th edition anywhere?

I found an army list topic but it's a lot of reading for information that I'm not going to fully understand yet (I haven't actually played any 6th edition games yet!)

Edit: Just found this topic(http://druchii.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=78398) that covers some basics, but it seems like figuring out how to play with the Dark Elves isn't going to be as easy as 40K, where 1d4chan let's you know which units are absolute garbage and what cheese builds there are.

Seems like no units are completely useless and objectively bad, at least for the Dark Elves?

Are there any particular units I should build to have a decent chance of winning, also? I think I have somewhere in the region of 70 unbuilt warriors, 14 built repeater crossbow guys, Shadowblade, Malekith on his dragon, a Sorceress on foot and on a cold one, Malus Darkblade, a beastmaster (And the classic metal one on a manticore that I LOVE), 16 Corsairs with their command, about 10-15 witch elves/executioners/Black Guard each with command groups, 6 Dark riders, a Hydra with 2 apprentices, 7 cold one knights, 2 cold one chariots, a Highborn on a cold one, an ancient Male sorceror (!), 5 shades (love these dudes too) and 2 repeater bolt throwers.

I also have the storm of chaos and chronicles book with the garrison list in it, but the garrison list seems weird to me (Not sure how letting the front rank have repeater crossbow is that big a deal?)
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Ow, 6th ed was a hard time for DE.
The only way to have a chance to win was to play MSU.
I'd recommend you to search in the The Hall of Fame for advice.
The Hall of Fame
Open at least all articles with MSU.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cthelthmoore »

I've heard that 5x3 units of Dark Riders are ideal, alongside reaper bolt throwers.

MSU also sounds like the right way to play, but do you know if the beastlord on a manticore was particularly good?

Also were assassins and shadow blade good too?