Drukh-Eltharin/Druhir words in official sources

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Drukh-Eltharin/Druhir words in official sources

Post by Shadowspite »

I will soon be revising my Druchii Language Guide and posting an updated version in the forums here, so people no longer have to trawl through back issues of Druchii.net Monthly (or go to other less reputable sites which have republished my work without permission... :evil: )

Unfortunately, as I've been away from the hobby for the past decade, I don't have the DE army books (or any other GW publications) from 7th or 8th edition.

Obviously, I want the revised DLG to be compatible with the official fluff wherever possible. So, for example, if there's an official Drukh-Eltharin/Druhir* word for 'darkshards' I will use that in the DLG rather than inventing something new (which would probably be 'arhatharnai' if we go for a very literal translation, or perhaps 'kyntharnai' if we allow 'dark' to equate to 'black' rather than 'shadowy' :? - I have to admit to finding 'darkshards' a bit of a naff name actually).

So, what I'm asking for in this thread is for people to post any Drukh-Eltharin/Druhir word or phrase that has appeared in official GW publications over the 7th/8th edition era, with its English translation and the source (publication and page number).

Thanks to everyone in advance! :mrgreen:

* - These are just two names for the same language, BTW. 'Drukh-Eltharin' is used by those who wish to emphasise its relationship to Eltharin as it was spoken before the Sundering (some Druchii refer to it as 'True Eltharin', and 'Drukh' has connotations of 'perfectly precise'). 'Druhir' is used by those who prefer to see it as an entirely distinct language (mostly Asur, it must be said).
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Re: Drukh-Eltharin/Druhir words in official sources

Post by Calisson »

Nice initiative.
It will be a very convenient reference for old warhammer hard core gamers, not interested in the evolution past End Times, and not engaging into 9th Age.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Shadowspite
Bronze Khaine Winner

Post by Shadowspite »

Calisson wrote:Nice initiative.
It will be a very convenient reference for old warhammer hard core gamers, not interested in the evolution past End Times, and not engaging into 9th Age.

That's my hope. Although I think 9th Age and even AoS players will still find it useful. Certainly my own Aelf Exiles still speak Drukh-Eltharin. :mrgreen:

So, did the 7th/8th edition DE army books include any language info?
"Sometimes, Brother... I dream that I am sane." - Uros the Faceless

Some of my minis - now on Imgur rather than Photosuckit.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I haven't read the books in a while... But I just might read them again. The only thing that comes to mind as "really well explained now" in the 8th ed book was the pantheon of Elven gods. 7th ed was still by the hand of Gav Thorpe so perhaps there are more language references there.
Then, of course, there's still the novels.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Khadath
Slave on the Altar

Post by Khadath »

Hello,

I'm a french player of Druchii army on WFB V8 and now 9th age. I play also Warhammer Jdr V2, and I collect everything I can find on Druchii's background for mastering. I read your Druchii Language Guide and it's very interesting !

I also found on the forum the fonts that you made. Your job is amazing ! But i have a problème with the druckeltharin font : I have a big space above the rune as you can see on the attached image (screenshoot from word 2016 on windows 10) and i don't know how to repair that. do you have any idea how i could do that?
Attachments
Word screenshoot.jpg
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Salut, Khadath, et bienvenue sur Druchii.net ! :D

Chances are slim that the few ones still visiting Druchii.net would have the technical skills to provide an answer.
The font was made even before I became a member of this website!
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Khadath
Slave on the Altar

Post by Khadath »

With all my respect for the work of the creator, I allowed myself to resume his work to solve my problem. I left on a new file to have a healthy base and I copy paste its runes. The font works perfectly! If he wishes, I can send him the font. I can also share the file, with his agreement of course.

I have read the guide and I think I have understood how it works. However, there are words where I don't understand the translation. for example : repeater crossbow (lit.
‘rain of death’), in Drukh-Eltharin, it's uraithen. Why it's not Menlukynth ? (Menlu : Rain, Kynth : Death)