Time reset in DE Army Book

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Nekroskop
Highborn

Time reset in DE Army Book

Post by Nekroskop »

Can anybody tell me why basically the most important events of the last few years have been left out in the new army book?

You know, small things like the the effing Storm of Chaos?

Not owning the Asur book, but did they do something similar there? Like erase the whole recent history of Eltharion, forgetting to mention Kourans Death, stuff like that?

I have to admit that I'm quite disappointed by that, even though the rest of the background reads nicely.
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Post by Aspiring executioner »

In the VC timeline the Storm of Chaos hasn't happened yet but is just about to. I think also in the HE book that Storm of Chaos isn't there. I guess GW want to rewrite the history of the Warhammer World.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Highborn on black dragon
Executioner

Post by Highborn on black dragon »

And i have a few questions too (don't want to open a million topics, so i'll post them here):

1. How is possible that Kouran is dead and still is appearing in the army list (and how exactly did he die)?

2. How, ffs, Eltharion is in the High Elves army list when, in the 6th ed DE book, Malekith's torturers saw "that his spirit is broken and his body becomes little more than an empty husk" 'n' stuff?
Sanity is highly overrated
Nekroskop
Highborn

Post by Nekroskop »

1. This is normal - In the older AB's, they constantly had dead SC like Grom the Paunch and similar people. They are there for historic scenarios and what not. AFAIK, Kouran died either in the old Asur AB or in a White Dwarf.

2. Eltharion had quite a story, actually. He was caught, tortured and blinded in our AB, became a blind Swordmaster in the Asur AB, and finally became a SC with new rules together witth Sahdowblade via WD and Annuals.

He even had a confrontation with Malekith and managed to wound him, that's why Mal set Shadowblade on him.

He then led a second offensive into Naggaroth.

Actually, GW seems to retcon/ignore all of this, which is really, really annoying.
I waste him with my boltthrower!
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

The stuff with Eltharion still happened, but now he appears in his 'historic' form in the new HE book.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

You know, small things like the the effing Storm of Chaos?

It still happened. Some other books (I think the O&G AB is one of them) as well as the more recent WHFRP stuff has mentioned the Storm of Chaos taking place.

1. How is possible that Kouran is dead and still is appearing in the army list (and how exactly did he die)?

GW does that from time to time - feature dead characters. And Tyrion killed him in combat.

2. How, ffs, Eltharion is in the High Elves army list when, in the 6th ed DE book, Malekith's torturers saw "that his spirit is broken and his body becomes little more than an empty husk" 'n' stuff?

Eltharion is in his historical format. That doesn't mean all the Swordmaster stuff didn't happen, though. The designer of the HE book even specifically stated (in a post on Warseer) that the reason 'old' Eltharion is featured is because he felt that version of the character to be superior to the Swordmaster version.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Highborn on black dragon
Executioner

Post by Highborn on black dragon »

Sorry for continuing with this, but can anyone tell me where is described the death of Kouran? And who's in charge of the Black Guard now?
Sanity is highly overrated
Camaris
Black Guard

Post by Camaris »

Highborn on Black Dragon wrote:Sorry for continuing with this, but can anyone tell me where is described the death of Kouran? And who's in charge of the Black Guard now?

In the old High Elf Army Book. Basically, Malekith's armies are attacking some gate, and Tyrion leads a sortie of silver helms into advancing black guard and duels and kills Kouran in the process.
Sorceress
Cold One Knight

Post by Sorceress »

I prefer to imagine Morathi waking up (next to Malekith of course) and finding Kouran in the shower and realising his death and Eltharion's ridiculous excuse for character development was all just a dream.
<Sirist> As Malus's hateful hate-juice hit his hateful opponents, each one exploded into a bloodmist, while Malus hatefully screamed, "Blood and skulls for Khorne -- I mean, Khaine!"
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Kouran only has one wound. He is lucky to live as long as he did. ;)
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

I don't know, but it looks like the elven timeline is taken back a little. There's no current invasion with lots of Clack Dragons, dying Kouran, Malus leading armies of the Witch King, blind Eltharion stuff, our Lustrian campaign form SoC.
Neither in our, nor HE armybook....

And the history was changed a little, now Morathi wasn't saved from a Slaaneshii warband but from Daemons, Har Ganeth is the new city of Hellebron and Temple of Khaine, there's even not a word about Cult of Slaanesh, or Slaanesh in general (only N'kari that Malekith summoned to kill Everqueen)
Cennedi
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Cennedi »

All of these changes are for the best IMO. I was never a fan of the dark elves becoming a glorified slaanesh cult. we already have a slaanesh army list.
Artein
Highborn

Post by Artein »

I also like them. However some of them are quite significant :)
Sezax
Black Guard

Post by Sezax »

Kouran died but that doesnt mean you cant play him. War of the beard is also past and you can play it acording to HE AB.

GW is very careful about dancing at the line of changing history. In new DE AB it is not said that DE dont worship Slaanesh, it just isn´t mentioned here.

GW just didnt wish to talk again and again about things we already know, but rather tell us something new.

Morathi was captured by warband of Slaaneshi deamons.
Sorceress
Cold One Knight

Post by Sorceress »

cennedi wrote:All of these changes are for the best IMO. I was never a fan of the dark elves becoming a glorified slaanesh cult. we already have a slaanesh army list.
I hear where you're coming from but I'm equally mindful towards the temple of Khaine becoming The Cult of Khorne since Mike Lee actually said that for the purpose of his writing, Khaine was Khorne and his writing seems to be used for a lot of the new canon.
<Sirist> As Malus's hateful hate-juice hit his hateful opponents, each one exploded into a bloodmist, while Malus hatefully screamed, "Blood and skulls for Khorne -- I mean, Khaine!"
Macknight
Beastmaster

Post by Macknight »

yeah its really annoying indeed, at least they should come up with something to justify their actions, like an imposter Kouran(like Achelles in Troy the movie), featuring dead characters is fine for certain armies like VC, they always come back with time it seems.
"It's hell of a thing to kill a man, you take away all he's got, and all he's ever gonna."

Lord of Gluttony, former active member of the 7.
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Basically, Malekith's armies are attacking some gate, and Tyrion leads a sortie of silver helms into advancing black guard and duels and kills Kouran in the process.

The gate is one of the main routes into central Ulthuan (the Inner Kingdoms). In other words, it's a fairly important position strategically.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Taloc
Trainee Warrior

Post by Taloc »

im wondering what will happen with warhammer online, or if all the recent contridictons are because of it, due to everyone dying then coming back to life, when new army books come out, will suddenly characters who are dead spring back to life the next day and have their gravestones removed?

but by the time i start playing that i ll probably be punching myself its so inaccurate (god damn disciples of khaine, and male sorcerers).

i guess they brought kouran back as they were too lazy to think of a new leader of the black guard and decided that kouran was too angry to stay dead.

and i ve checked the fourth and sixth edition army books and it says "chaos warband" and in the new book it just says "chaos" no mention to mortals or demons, so im guessing it was just marauders or something.
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

im wondering what will happen with warhammer online, or if all the recent contridictons are because of it, due to everyone dying then coming back to life, when new army books come out, will suddenly characters who are dead spring back to life the next day and have their gravestones removed?

Unfortunately, Warhammer Online is set in a parallel time line, with many events actually changed.

(this is actually good lets the developers have creative freedom in terms of events)

The actual reason for the time rewind i would assume is because they may want heroes to be used again, and they may even still be dead. Now im not sure on this but didn't Azhag make a return in the OnG book? Fairly sure he took a cannon the the face some time ago....

and i ve checked the fourth and sixth edition army books and it says "chaos warband" and in the new book it just says "chaos" no mention to mortals or demons, so im guessing it was just marauders or something.

It was daemons, he met Morathi in the aftermath of the First Invasion, which was totally daemons, humans lacked the naval skill to reach Ulthuan and were up in the north being corrupted by chaos, or not even around at that point i would ask Eldacar for clarification on that.
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Sedro
Beastmaster
Location: sieging Ulthuan...alone when not in gothenburg Sweden

Post by Sedro »

azhag is back in the new book, just slayed by my woodies :P
Zardock
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Zardock »

Is he still "dead" for purposes of fluff etc, as in he did die at the battle of "Azhag got shot by a cannon in the face and died" (ok i didn't remember the real name of the battle shhh)

Hmmm i have not myself acquired the new army book yet though the changes to fluff seem minimal, seeing as the storm of chaos was a bit of a fluff disaster considering the whole rough tie up of the campaign perhaps if it never happened then the world would be a better place. Where the final battle at least seemed feasable not "archaeon was triumphant defeating all of the empires heroes then getting 'ead butted by grimgor the end"
Join the Shrine of the Serpent today!
Brotherhood of the Coast!

Zardock (Group 27)
Class: Trainee of Khaine
WS:4 / S:5 / T:3 / D:4 / I:2
Equipment: Short sword and Dagger, 50g in a pouch.
Skills: Two Weapon Fighting, Uncontrollable Frenzy

The Keeper of the D.net Battle Records.
Darluith
Executioner
Location: T'ularith, The Citidel of Damnation (North Carolina... for now) or running my guild forum

Post by Darluith »

The Cult of Slannesh is mentioned in the new AB (Name changed back to its original "Cult of Excess"), and its still working in Ulthuan. As for Eltharion and Kouran, no idea about Kouran, but GW apparently nixed the swordmaster story (at least some of the HE players I know said it that way).
"I had a thought, they will fit nicely in the cauldron"
DreadLord Darluith Anaki