The Sword of Khaine in Army Book Fluff?

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Mr. tibbs
Shade

The Sword of Khaine in Army Book Fluff?

Post by Mr. tibbs »

What is the deal? I saw a post asking what Malekith's greatest mistake was. It produced some good answers (mostly funny ones), but it seems like his greatest mistake was going for the Flame of Asuryan instead of the Sword of Khaine.

So what is the current status, according to official GW fluff, of the Godslayer? And what role has it played, if any, throughout the official DE history?

I have of late given a lot of thought to a Malekith + Sword of Khaine combination. Imagine the special rules...
Lethalis
Loremaster

Post by Lethalis »

Malekith has seen it (it appeared to him as a scepter) but it's debatable whether he'd take it up. He did launch several attacks at its resting place though. Of course, he'll never actually get it because GW wouldn't like it.

Note that wielding the thing is not without downsides, it destroyed Anarion from the inside out. Now that Malekith has gone through the Flames and the Realm of Chaos, what effect the Widowmaker would actually have on him would be interesting to guess at.

As for the special rules, there's been quite a few attempts to make a balanced version out of it. The concensus seems to be: in a game of rock, paper, scissors the Sword of Khaine would be a nuke.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Aenarion thrust the Widowmaker deep onto the altar so no one would draw it again.

One of the phoenix kings (his name eludes me right now) was killed by his own White Lions for trying to draw it.

Malekith last visited the Altar while he was still respected among the Asur so attempting to draw it could have the similar results.
Since then he never really set foot on the Blighted Isle.

I think he knows a little bit more about the sword than your average Phoenix King and is aware of the fact that the sword is powerful enough to take over control of his actions.

As a side note, Altar of Khaine looks like
this
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

It is my Impression that Malekith currently isn't sure what would happen but is interested in keeping the High Elves from control over it. Possible for propaganda reasons with the Cult of Khaine.
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

The sword would infuse him with spirit of Khaine, which is warlike in nature, mostly not caring who or how dies. By drawing the sword without equally powerful force able to direct the spirit of Khaine he'd simply butcher everything and everyone until he met his better. (at it took four greatest daemons of all four chaos gods at the same time to mortally wound Aenarion, not even outright kill him)

Aenarion was able to wield the Widowmaker reasonably well because he was already infused with the spirit of Asuryan, whos goal was to protect the Asur.

Protect the Asur + Wage War = wage war on Asur enemies (daemons at that time)
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

Ah. Good clarification. Would Malekith's changing character (more and more uncaring/ruthless) affect his chance of pulling the sword? Would he ever get that desperate? That'd be a cool avenue of fluff to explore.
Sai'cet
Executioner

Post by Sai'cet »

Another avenue of fluff to explore would be; what if some other races tried to get their hands on the Widowmaker? I mean, the whole Warhammer world went crazy over some weird crown. How would it react to the appearance of the Warhammer equivalent of a nuclear bomb?
I'm like the Joker but more in your face

ALL HAIL GORGONOTH, THE DARK LORD OF PUDDING!
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

I don't think anyone aside from elves and possibly lizardmen know about its existence, and if they know about its existence they most surely don't know where Blighted Isle is.

Warhammer Geography doesn't have sattelites to scan the globe, picture middle ages maps with roughly outlined shorelines and huge white spots "here be monsters"
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Alandriakh
Trainee Warrior

Post by Alandriakh »

Dalamar wrote:Aenarion thrust the Widowmaker deep onto the altar so no one would draw it again.

One of the phoenix kings (his name eludes me right now) was killed by his own White Lions for trying to draw it.

Malekith last visited the Altar while he was still respected among the Asur so attempting to draw it could have the similar results.

I think he knows a little bit more about the sword than your average Phoenix King and is aware of the fact that the sword is powerful enough to take over control of his actions.

this

It is not certain if the phoenix king was killed by his white lion bodyguard. Malekith had send assasing to the place to prevent the king fro drawing the sword. Have the assasing killed the phoenix king to then be killed by the white lion bodyguar or have they repelled the assasins attack and then did the phoenix king got killed by his white lion bodyguard. The mystery still remains....Like so many things in the warhammer world.
Ilokir lúinwë
Asur Bane

Post by Ilokir lúinwë »

Fact is that Malekith had the chance to draw it, but failed somehow.

Fact is also that Caledor II and Tyrion had the chance to draw it, but both resisted the 'siren call', recognising the power of the sword would destroy them ultimately and perhaps destroy even elvenkind on the long term.
Class: Warrior
Ws: 6 dex: 4 str: 4 T: 3 Int: 4
Skills: Awareness, Defensive fighting, Parry
Equipment: Medium armor, Longsword, 2 Throwing daggers, 50 gold coins

Don't forgive, don't forget
Eldacar
Loremaster

Post by Eldacar »

Aenarion was able to wield the Widowmaker reasonably well because he was already infused with the spirit of Asuryan, whos goal was to protect the Asur.

Aenarion was driven to insanity as a result of having the essence of two gods within him. Mortal bodies weren't meant to hold that kind of power. In this case, "reasonably well" isn't entirely accurate in what it seems to imply.

It is not certain if the phoenix king was killed by his white lion bodyguard.

Given the propaganda value of it, I'd say the more likely series of events is that Tethlis was indeed killed by his White Lion bodyguard, for a couple of reasons.

1) Tethlis was known to have been intent on eradicating the Dark Elves, and had he not died, he may well have succeeded, given how ruthless he was. Even the Dark Elves have a kind of twisted respect for him, and since he's of the Asur, that'd take a lot to pull off. He has a clear motivation for trying to draw the Widowmaker (and the Asur as a whole don't want that to happen, for obvious reasons).

2) The Asur tend to try and cover up their mistakes, much like almost every other race in WHFB. Caledor II, for instance, is recorded in Asur history as a great king, regardless of how utterly and completely wrong that assessment is known to be. Tethlis attempting to draw the Sword of Khaine is something that would be covered up if at all possible.

3) Leading on from the second point, what's the easiest way to cover up a death like that of Tethlis? Say the Dark Elves did it, even if they didn't. In a strange fashion, it's even a tactic that the Druchii could agree with, regardless of how innocent or guilty they were. Why? Because they get the credit for killing a Phoenix King.

Fact is also that Caledor II and Tyrion had the chance to draw it

Caledor I, not Caledor the Moron.
"I live in hope and fear. Hope that once more the Lords of Caledor will ride on the backs of Dragons. Fear that if we do, when we do, it will be our last ride." ~Imrik, High Prince

Initiative Leader - Editors
Drainial
Prophet of Tzeentch
Prophet of Tzeentch

Post by Drainial »

I think that 'reasonably well' is a relative term, yes it nearly destroyed him and forever cursed his bloodline but he did at least save the world in the meen time, he retained some control and a sense of purpose. Khaine alone in one mortal body, well he might not be Khorne but the shear agression of Khaine would probobly lead to nothing less than a general slaughter with no restraint of any kind. Please correct me if I am wrong.

As to the sword being a cause for another world war (ie summer campaign like conflict) it seems unlikly because
a) Few out side the elves and probobly the Slaan would know of it. Some Dwarven scholors might know, maybe a few human lawmasters from Dwarven records.
b)Even if the races knew and wanted the sword Ulthuan is not some backwater part of the empire. First you need a fleet to take you there, enough skill and magic to get through the magical defences (although as Lothoren is now an open port they are probobly not so formidable) and then you have the full might of the Asur to deal with.
c)Last and least it is a conduit for a god, a god considerd blasphomas and evil by the majority of the races (especialy the empire) which would meen that should Karl Franz take it in mind to claim Widowmaker he would have the Grand Theologen and his Lectors banging on at him all day an all night. The church is very infulential in most of the warhammer races.
Moding a group of Druchii.net players is much like directing the musical 'Cats' using actual cats. Frustrating, difficult, chaotic but ultimatley satisfying and a great deal of fun.

Arch Deacon of the RPG forum
Gentleman of Moderation
Mr. tibbs
Shade

Post by Mr. tibbs »

Regarding culpabillity for Tethils' death, I'm gonna guess that the White Lions killed the assassins Malekith left in hiding and then killed Tethlis when he tried to take the sword. It seems that whenever White Lions and assassins square off in fluff the WLs really give it to them.
Slortor
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Slortor »

the other reason that there wont be a summer campaign about it... apart from the implauseability of the fluff and the pre-determined outcome (High Elves win - either that or if evil just own the whole campaign then a mini sundering and the blighted isle sinks below the sea)

... is because no-one outside of london actually came into GW to play the campaign and it didnt do enough for GW to justify the time/effort (or lack of it) that they put in.

But no - there is practically no mention of the Sword of Khaine in army books bar passing references to the history of Malekith/Pheonix Kings
Name: Khalia D'Vaarko (meaning: Khalia, property of Vaarko)
Height/Weight: 5'6", 8 stone
Other: no distinguishing features, barring the brand of a great house left wrist.
Class: Mage
Equipment: Robes, Dagger, Staff
Skills: Power of Ulgu, Power of Chamon
Stats: Ws3, S3, T3, D4, I5

lrnec wrote: Reality and truth is more brutal than almost any fantasy game
Excidium666
Shade

Post by Excidium666 »

In Malus Darkblade series the sword appears in Har Ganeth, so how did it get there in the first place?

Thanks
High elf is an elf after all, therefore he deserves a quick death...
Darluith
Executioner
Location: T'ularith, The Citidel of Damnation (North Carolina... for now) or running my guild forum

Post by Darluith »

The one you're refering to is the warpsword of Khaine, a different entity in its own right. The widowmaker hasn't left the Blighted Isle since Aenerion.
"I had a thought, they will fit nicely in the cauldron"
DreadLord Darluith Anaki
Stormbringer ruler
Corsair

Post by Stormbringer ruler »

Malekith knows that the one who wields the sword will bring the disgrace for himself and curse his kin, thats why he want to keep it in the altar. The first time, when Aenarion waved the Widowmaker it caused in a long term the Sundering...the second time should start the anihilation of the two civilizated elven races (doesnt matter who get the word, asur or druchii ). Its the same history than the sword Stormbringer (:P) from Elric saga.
Hither came Conan, the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

– The Nemedian Chronicles
Gav thorpe
himself

Post by Gav thorpe »

For those who can wait until January, you'll find out why the Witch King hasn't drawn the Sword of Khaine in Malekith. :twisted:

GAV
Highborn on black dragon
Executioner

Post by Highborn on black dragon »

Gav Thorpe wrote:For those who can wait until January, you'll find out why the Witch King hasn't drawn the Sword of Khaine in Malekith. :twisted:

GAV
And for us, who can't? :D
Sanity is highly overrated
Lord bloodsword
Warrior

Post by Lord bloodsword »

Dalamar wrote:Aenarion thrust the Widowmaker deep onto the altar so no one would draw it again.

this

was that the WAR beta?
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

the picture? yes, that's the Altar of Khaine in WAR
7th edition army book:

Jaycee
Assassin

Post by Jaycee »

That game sure as hell looks like another MMORPG I know ...
Cman
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cman »

Can any else imagine what would of happened if Grom the Paunch had of drawn the Widowmaker back when he invaded Ulthuan? I am guessing it would of appeared to him as a baseball bat with a nail in it !razz!
Kids in the back of cars don't cause accidents.
Accidents in the back of cars cause kids.
Doriili bariiliia
Raiding Baron

Post by Doriili bariiliia »

cman wrote:Can any else imagine what would of happened if Grom the Paunch had of drawn the Widowmaker back when he invaded Ulthuan? I am guessing it would of appeared to him as a baseball bat with a nail in it !razz!

Now that is an amusing thought! That be real doom of the Elven race then!
"Khaine is pleased with my service brother, I care little for your opinion. The Old world is my playground. Our family lands in Naggaroth are yours."
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Although he was miles away from Blighted Isle and never even crossed the border of Yvresse.
7th edition army book: