Why no male sorcerers? Can't find source...

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Nuriochi_sol
Warrior

Why no male sorcerers? Can't find source...

Post by Nuriochi_sol »

...as the subject suggests, I'm looking for the rationale as to why there are no longer male sorcerers among the Druchii. I remember something about it, but can't find the details in the army book.

Any help?

Thanks!
Nightcall
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by Nightcall »

Drainial posted the prophesy of Demise in another thread, which should answer your question. ;)

""And lo he shall rule with a dark hand and his shadow shall touch on every land. Steel will be his skin and fire his blood, in hatred he will conquer all before him. No blade forged of man, dwarf or elf shall endure him fear. Though it will come to pass that the first born son of noble blood shall rise to power. The child will be learned in the darkest arts and he shall raise an army of terrible beasts. Thus will the dark king fall, slain neither by blade nor arrow but by a sorcerers power of darkest magic. And so his body consumed in the flames and for all eternity burn." - The prophecy of Demise.

This prophecy made by Caledor Dragontamer, greatest of all elven mages living and dead, is the reason why with two exceptions only no male may practice magic legally in Naggaroth"

Malekith ordered they all be killed, in a bid to prevent this prophecy coming to pass. There are male sorcerers, but they practice illegally and are called Vauvalka. They scratch a living selling curses, that sort of thing.
Casaythe Blackstorm - Warrior (Corsair) - Group 22
Skills: Awareness, Endurance
Equipment: Short Sword, Glaive, Medium Armour, Sea Dragon Cloak, Repeater Crossbow, clip of bolts [11/20], 405 gold, Talisman of Darkness, Tool Kit, 2 months' rations
Stats: WS4, S4, T5, D3, I4

Mod, Group 38
Noble korhedron
Empire General

Post by Noble korhedron »

I'm pretty sure it's because there is some sort of prophecy that Malekith will be killed by a male sorcerer at some point - which is why he actively discourages - on pain of death - male Druchii magic users.
Regards,

NK.

http://ulthuan.net/forum
http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/index.php
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php
http://www.bartertown.com/trading/index.php

Give me a sense of humor Lord. Give me the grace to see a joke.
To get some humor out of life and pass it on to other folk.
Nuriochi_sol
Warrior

Post by Nuriochi_sol »

Ah thank you! Now of course I see it in the main book. Thanks for the full text. Cheers!
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

The Dark Elf Army book suggests that some do exist - taken on as favours - I can't remember the page number, but look it up :)
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Of course some exist.

Just because something is illegal (like being a male spellcaster in Druchii society... or stealing in our), doesn't mean it doesn't happen rather frequently.

It's just the Druchii have harsher penalties (death) so they got better at hiding it.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
Saintofm
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Saintofm »

Red... wrote:The Dark Elf Army book suggests that some do exist - taken on as favours - I can't remember the page number, but look it up :)

I can't remember it either, but I think I remember them saying this in the 6th and 7th ed books. Generaly it's on the same page as the sorceress or at least where the spells are listed.

In both cases, they are taken to not evoke the wrath of the sorceress covens and also as a form of payment for the covens. When you are ceremoniously wedded by the hundreds to a single man, what are the chances he will see you, much less more then once? These women do get lonely and a child can be produced between the date of birth and nine months prior when she was tired of being alone.
Who needs sanity? I have a Hydra
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Read our army book, p.62, the fluff box left below.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Fingol darkwater
Witch King's Envoy

Post by Fingol darkwater »

When you are ceremoniously wedded by the hundreds to a single man, what are the chances he will see you, much less more then once?

The reason for that little tradition is so that Malekith can keep tabs on magic users in Naggaroth. They're all wedded to him. They're not strangers. Given the paranoid nature of Druchii society, and the fierce competition to even get into the organization, I'd assume much more contact than just a one-time meeting. Dealing with the covens literally means dealing with the Witch King's bride(s).

As for male sorcerers, doing business with them is a matter of calculated risk. One can either go through the proper channels and accept the aid of the covens, but doing so ensures that any indiscretions on your part will get back to the Witch King. However, dealing with the seedier elements of Druchii society might prevent that, but sorcerers come with a whole host of problems of their own you have to consider.
Druchii Discussion and History mod

Behind every mask, is a man
who can't live in his own skin.
He lives by the flask.
He bathes in his past
and dies of his own sins