9th Edition Rumours

Stories, fluff, army fluff, your own fluff ideas, and other creations concerning the Druchii, the End Times Elves or the Exile Aelves go here!

Moderators: T.D., Drainial, The Dread Knights

Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Re: 9th Edition Rumours

Post by Amboadine »

Mantic is still owned by Ronnie Renton I believe. Ex GW executive who left to from the new company, and KoW rules written by Alessio Cavatore, ex GW writer.

Their facebook page is full of little digs at GW over the last few days. They need to be very aggressive with their marketing right now. Plenty of opportunities for them to steal away customers. With the added bonus that their rules are free too at the moment.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Always a tubecast worth following, even more so now.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Killerk
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Killerk »

Makiwara wrote:That's news to me and I can't find anything on google...

So I'd say that's a no?

They would have also had to buy Mantic I would imagine, though to what end I can't imagine.

Yea, I meant Mantic. I read the letter that was send by the owner, that he was approached by GW, and decided not to oppose the sale. Then there was confirmation on a different forum, and then things went silent. But then it could have been some other company, as I didn't pay much attention to details.

I've been trying to go through that podcast.... and did those guys see a good looking minature? GW has not produced an awesome model in a long time (5th ed), a good model maybe a few, but most of their this are just bad.
Also known as Kanadian
Makiwara
Shade

Post by Makiwara »

I think that's largely a matter of opinion; I personally find the new Wild Riders and Treeman kits truly awesome.

Amboadine just confirmed that GW don't own Mantic, so the sale must not have gone through at any rate.
For us, there is no longer the druchii, the asur and the asrai; now there are only the Asdra; The Laughing Ones.

For us The Season of Doom is ended, now The Season of Opportunity is begun.
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

I like the scenery that is coming, not the traditional WHF but still a cool looking archway.

post-12028-0-86513400-1435835983.jpg
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Interesting terrain - not usually their norm. That board underneath looks intriguing as well.

It would be great to get some new terrain pieces to play with - something that is not covered in skulls.

I always thought GW were missing out on a good opportunity, would have loved some dark elf terrain to paly with instead of the usual empire stuff.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

"End times" model range removed as a selectable filter from the GW store. No incarnates etc.
The models themselves still seem to be available, but not under this common label.
I guess they are closing the End Times down now. All for the new Age.

Whatever the rules will be tomorrow, I'm thinking there will be more changes to the store soon to come.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Amboadine
Miscast into the Warp
Miscast into the Warp

Post by Amboadine »

Will be checking the website this evening to see if the rules are released early or at midnight. Same as the pre orders always seemed to appear at 19.00 GMT when the pre order date was the following day.

Looking forward to seeing the scrolls.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Beastmen are really getting hit. This is the list of models that aren't exclusive to the web store, and unique to Beastmen:
- Battalion
- Jabberslythe
- Cygor/Gorgon
- Giant (but not unique to Beastmen)
- Spawn (but not unique to Beastmen)
- Chaos Warhounds (but not unique to Beastmen)
- Gor Herd
- Bray-Shaman

I still have some of those models lying around o.O
Well, they should still be usable for the purpose I bought them (skirmish / hunting / roleplay).

- The stiff breeze
T.D.
Killed by Khorne
Killed by Khorne
Location: Hinterlands of Khuresh; The Lost City of the Angels

Post by T.D. »

OldHammer Advanced Ruleset
- Adding Tactical Depth to Your Favourite Tabletop Wargame
jeffman
Corsair

Post by jeffman »

Rules and warscrolls online on gw site.
Mikael.k
Black Guard

Post by Mikael.k »

And they look like a joke... :S Going to keep playing 8th or 2nd edition kings of war, like AoS never happened. Maybe I´ll read up on the fluff wherever I can, but thats about it.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Does anyone have BattleScrolls for Retributors, Bloodsecrator, Bloodstoker, Khogorath, Bloodreavers?

- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Lord hajjij wrote:While I don't agree with your assessment of the to hit and to wound tables, I can see your point of view. I'm not even going to say those tables were amazing. But I personally think a To Hit and To Wound stat on each model is utter crap.

I'm coming back on this to say sorry. I have exagerated my opinion on the lookup tables. I'm not "glad" to be rid of them, but I do think they had some inherent issues.
Warhammer 8th (well WFB in general) tried to provide a game mechanic based on a model's attributes (skill, strength, toughness). This imposes a norm in combat power, and the game struggles to provide an upperhand by its own rules. It also risks losing a lot of flavour:
- An empire spearmen would score a kill on a 4+ hit, 4+ wound, bypass 5+ armour save.
- An elven spearmen would score a kill on a 3+ hit, 4+ wound, bypass a 5+ armour save.
How many points is this weapon skill worth? If you say "not that much", then an elf ceases to be an elite unit.
In fact, a lot of units would feel only subtly different and all inherently "weak": spearmen, swordsmen, or any basic unit that should be a common sight on the field. A single unit of heavy cavalry could wipe spearmen away effortlessly. Weird, as spears should be an excellent choice against them.
The slow kill rate would make it hard to finish a number of combats by the end of the game.
So special rules have come into place to make up for such gaps and weaknesses within the basic engine. I think they also came into play to increase the high fantasy feeling (not sure if that's a bonus).

The new mechanic from AoS has less flavour, but it allows more fine tuning using the very core of the game and it may rely on fewer special rules.
It's also why I'm sometimes a bit surprised to see so many special rules still. If it were up to me, I'd simply make all (former) core units plain with no special rules at all and nothing but basic attributes, because there's little to be gained by offering a re roll of 1's over simply improving the basic roll. It would make the game plainer, yes, but it would reserve the special feeling for special units.

Perhaps it's worth trying to develop a simplified WFB, where most special rules are simply removed. No ASF, only initiative. Etc. We'd get a much simpler game, and it would have a more classic feel to it. I expect elves to feel less special though, and more like "improved humans".

- The stiff breeze
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

This is worth a read:

Story title "GW Answers Age of Sigmar Questions"

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/07/gw-a ... .html#more

I copied it here for convenience:

An official representitive was Forgeworld answering questions directly, and not shying away from the hard ones. Need to know about the future of points in AoS? Here are the answers.

thanks to a reader for sending this in.

Shared via Luca Pinsuti
"GW had a guy camped out at the Forge World open day whos entire job was to answer questions and talk to people about Age of Sigmar. His entire job is to go to shows and talk to people about the new game. For the first time I think ever they're taking Age of Sigmar to Gencon, Comic Con, all the major wargames conventions in Europe etc. They're throwing a considerable amount of money at putting this in front of new audiences who have never played fantasy before. He was also brutally honest and didn't dodge any questions and answered everything he could. I'll start with the negative stuff first.

This is it. There categorically will not be a '9th' edition of fantasy. Age of Sigmar is the only thing fantasy related GW will do for the considerable future.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

The new races will look different to the old ones. Ooruks will not look the same as the orcs we currently have. As such, when they get round to releasing Ooruks, the old models will cease production. He did say that you can still use your old models as ooruks, but you won't be able to buy normal orc boys again.
There will never be points values.

On to the slightly positive stuff then.
They are going to fully support all modes of play, and will be releasing rules to balance armies against each other. There will be narrative campaigns where your forces are picked for you for specific missions, and there will be a system for tournament players to balance lists that isn't based on model count. He did not know the specifics of this, but said it is definitely coming.
The rules will always be free. He said that they are very very aware that fantasy had a massive buy in for someone to get started, as such the game was designed with the ability to play it with one box of models. There will be army books, but every rule in them will be available, for free, online. The books will just have extra background info and scenarios.

GW really are trying harder than they ever have before to make this work. If you're at one of the shows go and talk to them. They want to talk to you about this, but especially they want your feedback on it. As he said, this is totally uncharted territory for them and they are totally open to rules revisions as they go.

I forgot probably the best/worst bit. I asked him if he knew that it was possible to win the game first turn with the screaming bell/fateweaver thing. 'Thats deliberate' he said. 'You can do whatever you want in this game, but if you do stuff like that you probably wont have many people to play against."
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Very interesting stuff, thanks for posting.

There will never be points values.

I just don't get why. Everything else is forgivable and manageable, for those who are willing to accept a skirmish game in lieu of an epic grand strategy game. This approach has no precedent, no real benefit, and just seems so silly. If they could just be humble enough to admit this is a terrible idea, the fan base might actually get on board with the game.

He acknowledges that the 'funny' rules are rather silly and don't make for a great intro to the system for new people. His response was that the armies in the box set don't have the silly rules. They're there as kind of a celebration and final send off of the old warhammer armies, and he said you might notice the new armies don't have the stupid noises or imaginary friends. This is deliberate, its designed that you'll only generally play the old stuff with your mates since it's a bit embarassing to play in a public place.

So, all the guff about current armies being viable in the new rules set is only quasi true. Yes, you can play with your old models, but GW really doesn't want you to and is willing to @!*$ up the rules for your models in order to proactively push you out of doing so. I guess that makes sense from a profit oriented model kind of approach, but those folk who brought end time models only to be told that their purchases are inferior and discouraged may feel quite rightfully aggrieved.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
direweasel
Malekith's Personal Guard

Post by direweasel »

Red... wrote:So, all the guff about current armies being viable in the new rules set is only quasi true. Yes, you can play with your old models, but GW really doesn't want you to and is willing to @!*$ up the rules for your models in order to proactively push you out of doing so. I guess that makes sense from a profit oriented model kind of approach, but those folk who brought end time models only to be told that their purchases are inferior and discouraged may feel quite rightfully aggrieved.

That's probably the bit that annoyed me the most too. Here, we'll still "support" your old stuff for now, but will do it in such odious fashion that you'll literally be shamed out of playing your own game.

On the upside, they did say that they would be at Gen Con this year with the game. Guess who else will be at Gen Con this year? :)
Chinese Relativity Axiom: No matter how glorious your triumphs, nor how miserable your failures, there will always be at least one billion people in China who don't give a damn.

Apocalypse Drow! Plog: http://druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=75360