[PLOG] Restoring my Old World Dark Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, cultofkhaine, xFallenx

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Ramza1987
Warrior

Re: [PLOG] Restoring my Old World Dark Elves

Post by Ramza1987 »

My favourite cold ones are the ones that look like Godzilla from Godzilla 2000.
Killing is no fun, for me.
A dead person, feels no pain, no suffering.
Death is my gift, to enemies worth of my sword.
The rest will know the true definition of agony.
And i will make damn sure they live long enough to learn it.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Riders unfitting well were those riding the battle cows...
that's the only ones I got.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have 5 of those, but I'm tempted to use them as "Lords" instead. On the other hand, the plastic models are convenient for conversions! Something to think about :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well.. the cold one knight sprues are done. All the bits have been cut and put into a box. The cold ones themselves have been assembled but the knights will be done later.

I celebrated by cleaning another box of bits from the hydra and kharibdis (I still can't spell that name, why didn't they just go for 2 types of hydras).
20211016_110553.jpg
The boxes are starting to diminish. It's quite a healing sight after having the wall of shame judge me silently for so many years.

Although I made progress, I also noticed a bad pattern in my method. None of the kits that I started were actually finished in assembly. The dreadspears are still in pieces. The black guard need green stuff and glue. The cold one knights are just cold ones without base.
There is always a reason.

So for my next box I wanted one that I could finish: 10 witch elves. I will upload a picture when they are done.
As I am cleaning the bits, I am impressed again by the quality. Seeing the evolution from 6th ed plastic, 7th ed, metal and finecast, then 8th ed witch elves is nice. It shows the evolution and reveals that, even for GW, there is a learning curve and a consistent effort to improve and explore new methods. It reveals a spirit in the company that fans or haters don't always acknowledge. Gw is often considered the authority (an understandable point). It doesn't acknowledge the effort put in learning and improving over time. Seeing these kits shows GW is also learning and experimenting and continually changing. It's fun to see.

For the witch elves I think they stretched the limits of how delicate the plastic model could be. They experimented with dynamic poses and limited configurability. This contrasts to the very modular but blocky style of 7th.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze