[PLOG] Restoring my Old World Dark Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Ramza1987
Warrior

Re: [PLOG] Restoring my Old World Dark Elves

Post by Ramza1987 »

My favourite cold ones are the ones that look like Godzilla from Godzilla 2000.
Killing is no fun, for me.
A dead person, feels no pain, no suffering.
Death is my gift, to enemies worth of my sword.
The rest will know the true definition of agony.
And i will make damn sure they live long enough to learn it.
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Riders unfitting well were those riding the battle cows...
that's the only ones I got.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

I have 5 of those, but I'm tempted to use them as "Lords" instead. On the other hand, the plastic models are convenient for conversions! Something to think about :D
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Well.. the cold one knight sprues are done. All the bits have been cut and put into a box. The cold ones themselves have been assembled but the knights will be done later.

I celebrated by cleaning another box of bits from the hydra and kharibdis (I still can't spell that name, why didn't they just go for 2 types of hydras).
20211016_110553.jpg
The boxes are starting to diminish. It's quite a healing sight after having the wall of shame judge me silently for so many years.

Although I made progress, I also noticed a bad pattern in my method. None of the kits that I started were actually finished in assembly. The dreadspears are still in pieces. The black guard need green stuff and glue. The cold one knights are just cold ones without base.
There is always a reason.

So for my next box I wanted one that I could finish: 10 witch elves. I will upload a picture when they are done.
As I am cleaning the bits, I am impressed again by the quality. Seeing the evolution from 6th ed plastic, 7th ed, metal and finecast, then 8th ed witch elves is nice. It shows the evolution and reveals that, even for GW, there is a learning curve and a consistent effort to improve and explore new methods. It reveals a spirit in the company that fans or haters don't always acknowledge. Gw is often considered the authority (an understandable point). It doesn't acknowledge the effort put in learning and improving over time. Seeing these kits shows GW is also learning and experimenting and continually changing. It's fun to see.

For the witch elves I think they stretched the limits of how delicate the plastic model could be. They experimented with dynamic poses and limited configurability. This contrasts to the very modular but blocky style of 7th.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
rossjulie
Slave on the Altar

Post by rossjulie »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:53 am Cut off the tabs and put them on non-slotted bases?
Would it really help?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

And the 10 witch elves are complete.
20211020_181055.jpg
I must say it is a very impressive kit. The quality of the sculpt is one of the best I have ever seen.
It does feel like GW tried to push the limits on what was possible with their current sculpts. Some of the finer parts, in particular the wips on the sisters of slaughter are very delicate. The glue surfaces are a bit finicky.
From a building perspective, I find that the head doesn't glue too well to the torso, or perhaps the leverage is too big for such a fine contact surface.

I out my 10 witches with their sisters. The big blob in the middle is a placeholder for the cauldron of blood.
As you may see some of the old witches lost their head or an arm. I tried to use old glue to make them, back in the day. A bad choice as you can see.

Doing this unit was refreshing and so it was time to continue the Black Guard.
I finished a metal unit!
20211020_181244.jpg
I also sold 20 plastic corsairs. I already have 30 plastic corsairs with melee weapons, 10 with handbows and another box of 10.
Then I have another 30 metal Corsairs. I simply felt 0 passion about painting more and this is more than enough for a raiding themed list.

- The stiff breeze
Vulcan
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Vulcan »

rossjulie wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 9:31 am
Vulcan wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:53 am Cut off the tabs and put them on non-slotted bases?
Would it really help?
Without the tabs, you can turn them to face whatever way you wish. The trick will be getting them facing forward without bashing the guy next to them in the shoulder. A slight angle might help.

Get some blue tac and experiment. See if it works out for you. I just put mine on slotta bases and accepted the strange facings because... well, at the time that's what everyone else did so I didn't see a need to be different. NOW, I rather wish I had tried, but it's too much work to change them now.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Now that I finished my troopers, the slightly better boxes are coming up.
Today I wanted to try something more pristine. A black dragon.
I must say it is a very nice and satisfying kit to build. It was a lot of fun. I even got a little angry on myself, since I have the kit lying around for so long and never actually took the time to enjoy it.

I magnetised the seat so I could swap the character riding it.
By doing so, the kit also is left with surprisingly few bits.
Well, that's another kit gone from the heap.
20211022_204151.jpg
The dragon stands so tall it doesn't fit on my normal model shelf. I had to put it on another shelf. Ahh well.

This motivated me to do the other dragon too... I don't particularly love this model, with its peekaboo pose, but there is a certain charm to its old style. It's also considerably smaller and easier to store. What is better than 1 dragon? Two dragons!
The metal bits don't stick too well so they will need green stuff and maybe a pin.
Malekith doesn't fit the seat too well, on the old or new dragon so that will take some bending.
I will have to make some time to do all the green stuff, which is becoming a big list.

But as I am assembling it I realize it's missing wings. That's when it hits me
.. I have sold or given them away a long long time ago. I remember thinking I would prefer to put Malekith on a new dragon.
*sigh*
20211022_205143.jpg
Well... I guess I will have to find a new pair of wings somewhere.
Sometimes I could punch my younger self for not taking my older self into account.

In fact, I remember being punched by a stranger that looked familiar when I was a kid. I am beginning to fear that may be my future self, going back in time to set things right.

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Good stories!
Nice to read you're enjoing your nostalgia.
Winds never stop blowing, Oceans are borderless. Get a ship and a crew, so the World will be ours! Today the World, tomorrow Nagg! {--|oBrotherhood of the Coast!o|--}
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

After finishing the above units I checked out the new box of warriors. I must say... the new models are amazing. I almost wish to replace my dreadspears and darkshards with the new 8th edition models. I guess playing Total War Warhammer has made me fall in love with the aesthetic of 8th warriors.
Ahh well! I have so many 6th ed models left that I didn't know what to do. Originally I was going to make 2x40 Dreadspears and 2x22 Darkshards. Although unlikely, I realised that I bump into a limitation. As the 6th ed models are no longer available, I better make sure I never need more. I therefor decided to go 2x50 Dreadspears so that I would never need another Dreadspear. Should I want more darkshards, I can still buy the models. Or bleakswords.

So I assembled 46 Dreadspears to add to my 2 existing units. It's quite a sight.

With that decision out of the way, I also know what to do with my new kit: bleakswords, all 20 of them. Just to add variety. I can always get more darkshards.
20211103_105145.jpg

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

I remember painting a block of 40 Dreadspears for one of my armies - they look awesome on the table when done. Nice work
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

These are impressive units.
I always try to seperate the different miniature ranges from each other because the aesthetic changed a lot during the 20 years from 6th until today. Therefore, I have a 6th Edition army focusing on the Chris Fitzpatrick und Juan Diaz miniatures and one uses the later plastic miniatures.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@GeOrc - Great to see you on the board again GeOrc, would love to see some more of your work posted here again. It was your work that converted me to the Dark Elves many years ago!
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

@cultofkhaine,
Thanks a lot! I feel honored that my work served for you and man yon this site as inspiration. You have done a great job transfer that to your Dark Elves.
I just have started posting here again showing my 4th/5th Edition Dark Elves project. Probably you have already seen that. I am also reworking through my collection finishing ancient projects and armies. So there will be much to show in the future and maybe it allows me to revise some of my old threads here which were without picture after shutdown of my old website. Addtionally, I want to condense my work for my blog site. Hopefully, this will serve as a long lasting reference.

Looking forward how your army will develop further.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@Daeron - So what are you planning on painting first?

My youngest son just got me into 40k after all these years I finally started a Battle Sisters Army. It's going to be a slow grow, the models are so expensive these days. I am also keen to get back to my Cult of Slaanesh army very soon.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Georc wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:03 am I always try to seperate the different miniature ranges from each other because the aesthetic changed a lot during the 20 years from 6th until today.
Ahh yeah. I felt like 6th edition had a really well defined aesthetic, and so did 8th, with 7th being a cross-over. Playing Total War made me really like the 8th's coherent style across the whole miniature range.

For 6th edition, I got most minis in sufficient numbers - from spears to black guards. I did miss out on the witch elves, cauldron of blood and old hydra.
I can afford not to mix styles, depending on the list. I sold my old Dark Riders at some point, to replace them with the new kit. I don't really regret it since I vastly prefer the new kit and I feel it fits in "well enough".

For 8th, I got most of the model range as well :) And I can always add more later.
cultofkhaine wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:35 pm @Daeron - So what are you planning on painting first?
I still want to finish my Thousand Sons first. When they are done, I'll see what project I'll pick up. Chaos Space Marines is rumored to get a new codex in 2022, so it might be nice to finish that army. But since I really enjoy Thousand Sons I might take a back seat for a while and simply enjoy having a painted army :D

For the dark elves, I'm tempted to paint the dreadspears first. On one hand it's nuts to begin with the biggest, most monotone unit. On the other hand, seeing 2 big blocks of spears is the aesthetic goal that motivates me the most at the moment.

- The stiff breeze
Ramza1987
Warrior

Post by Ramza1987 »

You also play Thousand Sons, too? A person of culture, i see.
Killing is no fun, for me.
A dead person, feels no pain, no suffering.
Death is my gift, to enemies worth of my sword.
The rest will know the true definition of agony.
And i will make damn sure they live long enough to learn it.
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

Speaking of different editions... I have a treat. A box with 22 Bleakswords. That should be a nice unit.
20211117_101618.jpg

- The stiff breeze
Calisson
Corsair
Corsair

Post by Calisson »

Did not know about them.
22 is an odd number. Wouldn't it be 24? ;)
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

The person who sold them, ages ago, only had 22 in the box. It's enough for a unit though :)

- The stiff breeze
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

Nice find/ treasure. Those came in boxes of 10 and later 8.

I've got 15 of those myself, and will get some more if I find them. I really like 'em, despite their monopose and spearmen being generally more useful. Probably because those were the basic dark elves when I started.
Georc
Assassin

Post by Georc »

Yeah the plastic swordman, classic miniatures from 1994. Two prototype metal miniatures exist, already sculpted in 1993. These were among the first Dark Elves designed for the 4th Edition miniature range.

If you are interested in reading the history of these miniatures, here my blog article about the Swordmen:

https://georcs-workbench.blogspot.com/2 ... k-elf.html

Looking forward, how you will integrate them in your army.

Kind Regards,
GeOrc
Brad
Executioner

Post by Brad »

I think I have some of those somewhere. I seem to recall them being somewhat... chunky.
A missive from the desk of Kylekin, Prince of Nhaeroth, Land of the Setting Sun

8th ed stats (W/L/D)
DE: 1/0/0
DoC: 2/1/0
Empire: 0/1/0
WoC: 0/1/0
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

They are chunky! And they're also a little too wide, so they don't fit next to each other well in a unit.

But hey, nobody's perfect.

It's mostly nostalgia to be honest.
Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

20211118_211903.jpg
They are chunky! And they're also a little too wide, so they don't fit next to each other well in a unit.

But hey, nobody's perfect.

Here is a comparison eith the two newer versions.
To the utmost left is one that has been converted to a spearman (not by me, I bought them like this).

It's mostly nostalgia to be honest.