[PLOG] Restoring my Old World Dark Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Red...
Generalissimo

Re: [PLOG] Restoring my Old World Dark Elves

Post by Red... »

I love the older models. My army has 60 old school dark elf warriors as Bleakswords. It helps that they dirt cheap on ebay (at least they were back when I was collecting, I've not had to look for a long time now).

A trick to rank them up is to put half of them at the front of the base and half of them at the rear. Then you can slot them together more easily and they don't bump into each other. They are plastic, so the weight allocation isn't a problem (but if it is, you can always attach metal or some other weight to the base).
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

I am an Extraordinary Druchii Gentleman
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

!.......! !*******! !......!
!.......! !.......! !......!
!*******! !.......! !******!

The asterixes show where the model goes on the three bases and the dots are empty space. You can see that on the first and third base, the model is put at the front of the base. On the second (in the middle), the model is put at the back. Then they fit.
"While all answers are replies, not all replies are answers. So answer the question."

Don't be a munchkin?

Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

20211124_110133.jpg
Thank you for the suggestion. They seem to stack nicely with diagonal slots, but that does make them face to the side.
When I use parallel slots, then they are just a mm shy of slotting nicely. The sword arm stands out a tad too much.
It looks like diagonal slots are the easiest solution, or I can cut them loose from the slot and angle them like 10 degrees or something.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

Furnace of Arcana, a warhammer blog with delusional grandeur.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Red...
Generalissimo

Post by Red... »

Yes, they work diagonally, but then they do look rather silly.

But I'm sure whatever you do will work great :)

Don't be a munchkin?

Bobba Looba
Corsair

Post by Bobba Looba »

I did cut them loose and glued them with a tiny angle. It works really well and pretty easy to do.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Any progress with this Daeron or have you lost motivation?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

No, I have not lost motivation! In fact, I nearly completed the building part :D
I'm a few updates behind. I'll try to make some pictures!

The painting, however, won't be something I'll get started on soon. I focus on painting what I will be playing and atm that's 40K.
I love me a bowl of numbers to crunch for breakfast. If you need anything theoryhammered, I gladly take requests.

"I move unseen. I hide in light and shadow. I move faster than a bird. No plate of armour ever stopped me. I strike recruits and veterans with equal ease. And all shiver at my coldest of whispers."
- The stiff breeze
Cthelthmoore
Trainee Warrior

Post by Cthelthmoore »

Very cool stuff, I've started restoring (and actually building) some 6th edition Dark Elves myself.

Its good to work on the nostalgic models!
Alderhan
Corsair

Post by Alderhan »

As someone who has recently dug out his old DE army of 6th, 7th and 8th ed. minis, this was a great read. Thank you.
Romanes eunt domus!
Have you seen the Yellow Sign?
Daeron
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Daeron »

To get my elves into battles quickly, I went with base converters. I find that the spacing between the models looks good. I was afraid it would look weird but it's quite nice, even for older models like these crossbow warriors.

I am not convinced to rebase them yet, considering how much work that would be, but on the other hand... it would be a shame to paint new minis on outdated bases. I will have to see what I will do.
80fae400-bbd1-42df-bf54-97ef47857955.jpg

- The stiff breeze
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Cool - looks like a lot of work.