Rise of the von Carsteins, A VC Army Blog. Pic Heavy.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Aspiring executioner
Assassin
Location: Raiding Lustria for more cake...(Newcastle, Australia)

Rise of the von Carsteins, A VC Army Blog. Pic Heavy.

Post by Aspiring executioner »

This is my VC army i've finally begun to paint after they've been sitting here undercoated since March. Here are my WIP Skeleton Warriors:
Next is my Varghulf which is almost done, only the claws and a few little touch-ups to do.
And finally the Lord of Undeath himself, Vlad von Carstein.
Mannfred is painted but currently needs to be fixed and paint up some paint chips. Konrad von Carstein along with the rest of the Skeletons will be done really soon. Any C&C welcome along with any questions you might have.
Last edited by Aspiring executioner on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dark Elf Tally using the 6th Ed. list
W: 11 D: 2 L: 8
Dark Elf Tally using the 7th Ed. List
W: 24 D: 2 L: 6
Enfant terrible
Cold One Knight

Post by Enfant terrible »

You really use some heavily washes - or am I mistaken? They look great, but you need to make brighter highlights - if not for anything else, then to add definition to your mini!
"... Why so serious? ..."
Diederikiii
Shade

Post by Diederikiii »

I aspecialy like the green on your Varghulf looking some kind of "eterneal" or "magical"

but vlady looks like you are using collors that aren't close enough to eachother.
example the horn Dark brown-> Beige-> white
the brown and the beige are to far away from eachother.

I so i jugjest using colours closer to eachother and if not possible then mixing with white or the brighter collor your gonna use for the higlight so its closer to eachother.

Remeber people will tell more bad things then good, cause thats how the humankind survives.

cheers
Aspiring executioner
Assassin

@Diederik Yeah i noticed that too after I painted him back in March, but wasn't bothered to make it proper. Now looking at his picture, I think i'm going to have to fix him up a bit particularly around the face and hair, the horn and the back of him. I should do a better job the second time around as i've improved my painting a lot since then and now have access to washes which will tie in with the rest of my army a bit more.

@Enfant Yes I do wash them quite heavily, but if i don't you can hardly see the effects of the wash.What models are you specifically talking about or are you talking about all of them?

Keep the suggestions coming guys! :D
Khel
Angel of Darkness

Post by Khel »

I like it. The green gives the unit/creature/lord the warpstone effect.

Carsteins sword I love. :)
Saldrimek Xenan - WS6 / S4 / T3 / D5 / I3

Equipment: Executioners Axe (Rune of Beastslaying - Heroic Killing Blow), 2 Scimitars (Rune of Speed - Always Strike First), Dagger, Rune Branded Leather Armour, Executioner Helm, Fine Set of Throwing Knives (x4)
Inventory: Amulet of Darkness, Poison Vials x7, Deadly Poison Vials x8
Mount: Dark Steed
Gold: 163
Skills: Ambidexterity, Frenzy, Two Weapon Fighting, Ride
Class: Khainite
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Doesn't look bad mate! Can't wait to see some finished mini's.
I do think you could do some nice freehand on the Skeleton banner (I don't like banners with nothing on them). I agree with Diederik that the horn looks not so good, so you might want to repaint that part. The cloak isn't that great either IMO. That still needs some highlighting/shading. I also suggest that you give the armour a green wash so that you get a better overall look of the model.
Anyway, lloking forward to see more!
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

The grean fur on the varghulf is throwing me a bit. Have you considered adding some grey highlights on it to make it look more natural?
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

I like the extreme green highlights, but you need to be a bit more accurate with them. I'd try a light drybrush of burnished gold on Vlad's goldy bits, and you definitely need to highlight his face some more.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
Aspiring executioner
Assassin

Well after a while i've finally started to paint Konrad von Carstein with only the face, hilts, gloves and gems to do. My skeletons are almost done and will post some more pics soon. Anyway here is the front and back of Konrad.

Any C&C much appreciated.
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

The green isn't bad. It actually gives the ethereal appearance really well, but I am not sure that I like it on the varghulf. Perhaps try "graying" out the green by mixing it with adeptus battle gray. I also don't like the red blood dripping off of green blade on your most recent model. It makes me think of Christmas.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
Starscream
Corsair

Post by Starscream »

I must say I really like the green colour scheme, very different to the normal 'Eavy Metal schemes in White Dwarf that are so dark (which is appropriate I suppose)
Your bright green colours give a sinister "glowing" effect to the models, you could imagine the eerie glow in the night as they approach . . .
Aspiring executioner
Assassin

Ok here's the finished product of Konrad. All the pictures show the colours brighter than they really are, so please excuse that. @druchii77: Yeah I've been getting comments like that with Konrad, but I don't really mind as I don't think of Christmas when I see it.
@Starscream: Thanks! I do try to be different from the 'Eavy Metal schemes.

Any C&C welcome as normal. Next update will probably be the rest of my skeletons. Also does anyone have any experience with doing marsh/swamp bases? If so could you give me some advice on what you did and used?
Thanks for reading.
Dark apostle197
Corsair

Post by Dark apostle197 »

druchii77 wrote: It makes me think of Christmas.

Blood dripping of a blade makes you think of Christmas? That's a problem :P

I don't think its too Christmasy because the green is light enough and has the white in it.
Aspiring executioner
Assassin

Sorry for the lack of updates lately but here are my skeletons almost ready for war with only a few minor details left on about 5 of them.

Hope you guys like them. I'm going to start my Grave Guard next.
Any C&C welcome as normal.
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

The Good:
You've got an army painted to tabletop quality and you used a non-standard colour to stand out a bit.

The Bad:
Using a consistant colour on an army is to tie the units together so that people can tell it's a unified force fighting under one banner. But there is waaaaay to much green on this army. I'm not sure if it's because there's so much green surface area or if it's because everything uses the same green - cloth, green armour (green metal?). weapons, shield-leathers, etc.

Overall it's painted and that's enough to get in a game with. So go out there and kill someone!!
- human
Adept of Khaine

Post by - human »

I'm not sure if it's because there's so much green surface area or if it's because everything uses the same green - cloth, green armour (green metal?). weapons, shield-leathers, etc.

I believe this is the problem. The models are painted very well, but there needs to be more variety or at least a different way of painting the green.

I really like the darker green armour on vlad, you pulled it off very well.
- Human