DA's Ice Warriors - small update, DR std finished

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

DA's Ice Warriors - small update, DR std finished

Post by Dark Alliance »

My 7th ed Dark Elf army is based around the theme of Blade's warband returning from the Chaos wastes, heading back towards Naggaroth. The troops are trudging through a heavy snowfall, carrying many artifacts, supplies, trinkets and prizes gained in the frozen north.

Here's a link to the previous thread which has pictures of the award winning army:

http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=58960

In the army I am including many of the models from not only the DE range, but also certain other races which I particularly like. My Master BSB is converted from the mounted Archaon figure for example, and I have a COB being carried by a Shaggoth (as some of you may have seen in a different thread ).

So, in keeping with my slightly chaotic theme I was delighted when the new Marauder Horse were released. Perfect for Dark Rider conversions I thought. And so the story begins...

I will hopefully take some pictures for you tomorrow, but in the meantime I can tell you that I have combined Marauder Horse, Corsairs and Warriors together, along with some green stuff for their winter clothes. All in all it has made for a more than satisfactory outcome.

I have just started painting the test figure, and if all works well there will be 2 more units to follow.

So until tomorrow...happy hunting!
Last edited by Dark Alliance on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:55 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Im quite excited to see the pics, i do love the new plastics and the horses are just big enough to look threatning without overpowering the model (try mount and CoK on a silver helm horse for example).
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Sounds like more cool stuff.

I hope you'll bring everything to the GT FInal in a few weeks so I can see it live and close up.
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

I will be sure to stay tuned. I really like the rest of your army so I am eager to see what you have come up with for the dark riders. It makes a lot of sense that they would have had to have some local remounts during the course of a long expedition.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

Hmm, You've got me intrigued, especially with these combined Corsair and Warriors.

I've already started DRs on Marauder Steeds project (http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=59418) although using regular DRider model, but I'd love to see pics for some more inspiration.

Pics, pretty please.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Mr shadow
Warrior

Post by Mr shadow »

A quick question if I may, as I'm considering the Marauder Horses for conversion myself; The contents of the Marauder Box, does it contain spare parts?

In detail; I would like to know how many of the horses heads are covered with those...interesting facial masks?

/Mr Shadow.
Break the Bones and the Body will Heal
Break the Spirit and the Body will Die
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Lion of Flanders wrote:Sounds like more cool stuff.

I hope you'll bring everything to the GT FInal in a few weeks so I can see it live and close up.

Sure will Scott. Always good to get critique from you.

btw is your special project still scheduled for an outing? THAT, I can't wait to see :D
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

The standard bearer is coming along nicely but I'm now waiting for the green stuff to go off. I'll finish it and then post you the pic.

As for the Marauder horses, each horse comes in 4 parts. Each head has a face covering but it is easy enough to do a head swap if you don't like them. I haven't tried the existing dark steed head on them myself but I suspect it would look fine.
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

Dark Alliance wrote:btw is your special project still scheduled for an outing? THAT, I can't wait to see :D

Proceeding on schedule, my friend. Five Shades, one Beasthandler, and the lord and her dragon to go as of tonite.

Me and the girls will be at W World on Fri looking to get their pretty hands dirty in a tune-up game.

I think you'll like 'em :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Awesome! I'll see you on the Friday then.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I say... almost a full page and still no pictures. What manner of painting log is this?
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Duke daedric
Cold One Knight

Post by Duke daedric »

@ Layne : It is a roleplaying painting log.. hehehe :D
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < ) This is the Assassin Bunny.
He has been specially trained by "the Old man of the Mountain".
He looks cute and than bites off your aorta when you least expect it.. ;)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Have patience Grasshoppers.

All will be revealed shortly. I re-did the green stuff cloak and had to wait for it to dry. Painting it now...
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

So that's what it is... paintbrush in one hand, internets in the other. This is doing the edge of my seat not one bit of good. I ought to kick you in the grasshoppers.
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

http://s447.photobucket.com/albums/qq19 ... 271187.jpg

That's the link to the work in progress standard bearer. I can't seem to get the pic to post here. If anyone can do it for me that would be great!
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Shazam.

Also, I still find it difficult to shake the notion that the Marauder horses look too unrefined to be Elvish. Yet this is still a well executed conversion, and nicely painted too. You made the fur yourself, yeah?
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

The Marauder horse are not supposed to look Elven. The theme of the overall army allows for their inclusion - ie dark steeds got replaced with local beasts as they died due to the exposure of the Northern Wastes.

Yeah, the fur is green stuff. Got to keep the guys warm...

Left to do are the final highlights, finish the base and the handpainted banner iconography.

I kinda got distracted and started painting a dragon Lord!
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Shazzam indeed!

Here's another view of the fur.

Each one of the unit of 5 is slightly different. There are additional weapons on the rear shoulder on a couple, different spear arm poses and so on. Their fur cloaks will obviously vary too, as will the colouring of their steeds.
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I'd say that if we had some halfway decent Dark Steeds, you'd never have tried this. But the point is scored. It's not the horse itself that I dislike so much as the saddlery, which doesn't look at all like an elf, even a dark elf, was the smith. But your theme explains that. No doubt it was made by the people whence your boys nicked the horses. So you are running DR with crossbows, without shields, with Standard?

Any way, your snow effect seems to look better than mine. I used GW snow, what did you do?
Layne

Caveat Numptor.

Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

This first unit has rxbs and full command, the other 2 will be rxb only. I may add a unit with shields at a point in the distant future but not yet. Too many other things to paint!

My snow is a mix of GW Snow, PVA and white acrylic paint. Mixed in equal quantities it forms a thick but runny paste which allows you to 'draw' it into intersting formations, crevaces, gaps in your base etc. Applying several layers leads to very convincing overhangs as can be seen on the Harpy pillars.

At the moment I am experimenting with adding a light dusting of GW snow as a fimishing touch, but I'm not certain I need it.
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Its quite alright looking. Im failing to find a better descriptive word for it, but something isn't right. I think the body might be a bit chunky.

Err.. i mean.. grovel grovel.. :D
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Seralkith
Beastmaster

Post by Seralkith »

Is there a story behind the armour as well? I can buy the idea behind the steeds, but his armour is rather human.
Ekalb
Trainee Warrior

Post by Ekalb »

I actually rather like the idea of a Dark Elf raiding party coming home with all kinds of salvaged armour and equipment. Sure the horses look human, but they look really good too. Keep up the great work.
Of course I hate the newist army book, it's not an army I own!
(common reaction when an army gets a new book...)
Dark Alliance
Morathi's Favoured
Morathi's Favoured

Post by Dark Alliance »

Seralkith wrote:Is there a story behind the armour as well? I can buy the idea behind the steeds, but his armour is rather human.

My answer from the lead post...

Dark Alliance wrote:My 7th ed Dark Elf army is based around the theme of Blade's warband returning from the Chaos wastes, heading back towards Naggaroth. The troops are trudging through a heavy snowfall, carrying many artifacts, supplies, trinkets and prizes gained in the frozen north.

Plus, as I said earlier, each of the DRs is slightly different. I have an overall concept here of a battle hardened army which has been gone for a very long time. Centuries in fact, and during that length of campaign equipment is going to take the toll of wear and damage.

As the army evolves this theme will be even more evident. I have plans for example, to use my Chariot to carry supplies as well as fight. There are additional supply packs to go onto the DR horses (bedrolls etc) and so on.

Basically, my interpretation is going to push the boundaries of what we have been conditioned to accept :twisted:
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Comrade Igor wrote: grovel grovel.. :D

Who are you, the Spamburglar?

Seems they're going to end up looking like some kind of Druchii Outrider. Should be fun. [don't suppose you have any Outrider bitz, then?]
Layne

Caveat Numptor.