Mordheim Dark Elf warband painting blog

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Mordheim Dark Elf warband painting blog

Post by Benmannen »

I've decided to try out Mordheim, it's one of the few major GW games that I have never tried. I seems like a really nice little game and I look forward to convert and paint up a small warband.

I have no idea what is good really, but from reading up a little about the game it seems armor is very overpriced and not really useful. Looking at the cost for armor and the fact one the cheapest weapons, Axes, reduce armor by one you really have to load up on armor or just skip it. To be able to parry and reroll parry with a buckler and shield seems good.

It's strange though that you will be able to parry more successful, the higher the WS is of your opponent... He will hit more often but it will be easier to parry it.

Anyways, this is the list I am starting out with:

Noble 70
Darksteel Sword 30
Buckler 5
Total 105

Sorceress 45
Sword 10
Total 55

Beastmaster 40
Beastlash 10
Spear 10
Total 60

3 Slavehounds 75

Shade 35
Axe 5
Repeater Crossbow 20
Total 60

Corsair 35
Spear 10
Total 45

Corsair 35
Spear 10
Total 45

Witch Elf 45
Halberd 10
Total 55

It seems like spears are good for troops with high initiative, and it's one handed...

This is my Noble, it's a Avatars of War Dark Elf hero, I figured just a Sword would be good for him and he's got a buckler strapped to his back.

A Corsair henchman, equipped with a spear.

A Shade with a Repeater Crossbow and an Axe, based on a leftover Dark Elf Assassin.

A Beastmaster with Beastlash and Spear, she is a bit small for my liking, but I think I'll paint her up and try her out, her small stature might make the Beasthounds look bigger.

A With Elf with a Halberd. It's a regular WHFB 6th ed Witch Elf, I the Halberd is actually a Dreg Halberd but I'm not sure. It seem to fit her well... THe proportions are nice.

So that's as far as I've gotten at the moment, we are starting up our campaign February 14th and I should have it all glued together by then, but I probably won't have painted much.
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Dogs of War and Bretonnians 40k: Dark Eldar and Chaos Renegades, BFG: Dark Eldar, Epic: Dark Eldar, Man O'War: Slaanesh Chaos

My Dark Eldarblog:
http://stefan13.typepad.com/blog
Druchii77
Purveyor of Pain

Post by Druchii77 »

These are looking good. I really like the avatar of war model. Those corsair swords are truly sweet and make a great impact for such an easy conversion.
castrensis in totus res
Fight my Brutehttp://suckerpunch77.mybrute.com
Try Evony!http://zao77s.evony.com
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

why did you all made them bald?
i totally agree about the new corsair parts! as well the swords as the corssbows as the capes!
I am using the capes of the corsairs now to make shades.
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Post by Benmannen »

All of my Dark Elves, no matter the game system, are bald... See, that's my own hair style (or lack of) :)

Even my 40k Dark Eldar are bald...

Check them all out here:

http://thefewleftbehind.com
Fantasy: Dark Elves, Dogs of War and Bretonnians 40k: Dark Eldar and Chaos Renegades, BFG: Dark Eldar, Epic: Dark Eldar, Man O'War: Slaanesh Chaos

My Dark Eldarblog:
http://stefan13.typepad.com/blog
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Great conversions. Mordheim is okay. I seem to remember a lot of tipping models over and then standing them back up ans part of game play and the combat system was less than sleek. The carry over of the game to game campaign was fun and a big change from WFB.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Colonel
Black Guard

Post by Colonel »

dark elves in mordheim can be too good, and armor can be worth it for them as the sea dragon cloak is rediculous..

heavy armor, cloak, shield = 2+, 1+ vs shooting.
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Post by Benmannen »

I got some work done today on my warband. I found a 6th ed WHFB Corsair champion in by bitz box as a second spear-equipped Corsair and a blister of 3 Warhounds. I've been collecting the warhounds on Ebay for a while, but they tend to go for quite a lot. I had an idea of a WHFB Dark Elf as-is Warrior unit with just Warhounds...

I'm now up to 9 members of the 10 strong team. Just the Sorceress left to build.

Dictator
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Dictator »

Very sleek scalps. I would imagine they have suntan lotion on the rather sunny days? A great look especially when all your slaves have lice and other vermin.

I might be fighting you for those warhounds soon. A very interesting model indeed. Do they come in with three or two to a pack?

Keep the work going and your knife sharp.
"The Cowards never came, the Weak died along the way, the Brave arrived, the Tough remained." -unknown American pioneer
VC painting log
My blog
My Lizardmen
Benmannen
Beastmaster

Post by Benmannen »

The Warhounds come in blisters of 2 and 3. I've found both amounts, seems like older packaging has 3 per blister. I've managed to get my hands on 10-15 warhounds... I like the sculpts, it's a nice little model for unit fillers...

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just built a couple of ruins, I'll try to take some pictures of them.