To many purple elves?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

To many purple elves?

Post by Fletch395 »

I see way to many purple elves around, and i was thinking of doing grey instead of the purple?

I havnt worked with purple or grey before, being a dwarf and orc player normally, are either of them hard to paint well? If that doesnt make sense...you know how red paint is generally hard to paint with? Is purple or grey harder to paint?

And i plan on painting my skin light purple, would that be weird with purple armour?

http://images.mmosite.com/photo/2007/12/24/war11jF7h0m7840.jpg

The skin in that picture if what i was thinking of
Comrade igor
Daemon in Disguise

Post by Comrade igor »

Everything's quite easy with the new foundation paints/washes combination. Basecoat, wash, highlight lightly and you're done. But to answer your question, both colours are easy to paint, but purple looks better because it's darker thus more forgiving if highlighting isn't your strong point. Light purple skin would blend with purple armour though, but if you do purple in the recesses but a more fleshy colour on the broad areas of the skin then you should be able to get away with it.

The new foundations/washes are practically idiot-proof. Tis' why i love 'em.
Best Regards, Comrade Igor.

Where there's a Whip there's a Way
Kuanor
Black Guard

Post by Kuanor »

To many purple elves?
Definitely yes!

But purple skin and grey armour could look a little strange. Purple skin and purple armour would be more interesting, if painted well, White skin and grey armour could also fit. But this is only how I'd imagine it at the moment. Paint a model, then we can see.
Thapinkpownr
Slave on the Altar

Post by Thapinkpownr »

yes it would look weird. trust me i know i wanted that to. grey clothes and metalic purpel armour but a red slightly blue armour works better
highelvs are just like ants. they are annyong , useless and die too quick if you torture them
Xizor
Chris Tomlin

Post by Xizor »

ThaPinkPownr wrote:yes it would look weird. trust me i know i wanted that to. grey clothes and metalic purpel armour but a red slightly blue armour works better

Red slightly blue armour?! Do you have any pictures of such a colour scheme? Im most interested to see how that works.

As for the OP, I would say to just give it a go, get yourself a test model (spearmen / rxbmen) and see how it goes. Be sure to show us the results.
The Black Sun Weekly - an AoS Podcast

Follow me on Twitter; @the_black_sun
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

ThaPinkPownr wrote: but a red slightly blue armour works better

Red slightly blue, sounds like purple to me ;)
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Darkelfogrekiller
Trainee Warrior

Post by Darkelfogrekiller »

chain mail armor and elf flesh paint with purple accents works well
Sadisticity
Executioner

Post by Sadisticity »

Greyish amour? How about this colour scheme from Warcraft?

Fr0
Trademaster

Post by Fr0 »

Yes, Sylvanas has a cool armor color theme.. I always saw purple as more of a royal color, and never layered it on commoners, but just on their sashes and stuff. You're right though, lots of people use purple as a primary on their DE.
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

I've gone for purple :(

Although the reasoning is i want this army to not only play well but to look good, i'm spending alot more time per model than i normally do, and i know purple is easy to work with so i've gone with that :(

EDIT: Plus i tried purply skin, but it failed, so i've gone for normal elf skin anyway lol...cept my scorceress looks like she has a bad tan
Sarcon
Beastmaster

Post by Sarcon »

Purple skin works, as long as you use a regular skin tone with a purple wash/glaze over it.

But I disagree, there's never too many purple elves out there :P
Be sure to check out my Army blog.
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

I tried 2 types of purple skin, and it looked funny...it works okay though, i MIGH try that purple glaze over normal skin, on a shade though, not the master i spent the best part of 2 days slowly paining
Sadisticity
Executioner

Post by Sadisticity »

Instead of Purple, I choose Red. After all Red cloth with Gold amour also gives a royal feel to your army.

Not forgetting, my Witch Elves wearing Red Thongs and Bra. :D More eye catching then Purple definitely.

Just curious, why is red hard to paint with?
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

SaDiStIcItY wrote:Instead of Purple, I choose Red. After all Red cloth with Gold amour also gives a royal feel to your army.

Not forgetting, my Witch Elves wearing Red Thongs and Bra. :D More eye catching then Purple definitely.

Just curious, why is red hard to paint with?

Red is generally hard to work with because when you highlight it, you have to guard against going pink, or going overly orange, which is difficult.

And to Sarcon: Absolutely. Nothing whatsoever wrong with purple on Dark Elves
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?
Fletch395
Trainee Warrior

Post by Fletch395 »

Just wondering, what colour compliments purple?

I need a secondary colour for shields/shades trousers ect ect. Some article on CMoN said to use yellow....i doubt that'd work
Lion of flanders
Brush Master

Post by Lion of flanders »

fletch395 wrote:Just wondering, what colour compliments purple?

I need a secondary colour for shields/shades trousers ect ect. Some article on CMoN said to use yellow....i doubt that'd work

Yellow it is indeed.

Trust, young Padawan. :D
That's silly! Playin with little statues, pretendin' they're fightin'! Why not just round up a bunch of real goblins and lettem' whack it out?