Malekith on Black Chariot Conversion - NOW WITH PICS

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Malekith on Black Chariot Conversion - NOW WITH PICS

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hello All, I am thinking of doing a conversion of the Witch King riding the Black Chariot. I have collected a few bits for the conversion but before I start was wondering if anyone has seen any conversions done of this. I have searched the net and have found nothing to use for inspiration.

I have the metal mounted Malekith model, four coldones and the tomb kings plastic cart to work with so far. What I am mostly interested in is

- Conversions of Malekith standing
- What type of cart to use (dont have to use the tomb kings one)
- Should I have two, three or four coldones pulling the cart
- Do I need an additional rider in the chariot with Malekith or just him

Any comments, pictures for inspiration would be much appreciated.
Last edited by cultofkhaine on Fri Oct 01, 2010 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

I'd use the DE cart personally. I like the idea of 4 cold ones in a row, not 2x2. I think that would be badass, as far as modeling and converting, I am not the one to answer.

I think you would need the crew, adding Malekith would be like adding a character to a normal chariot I would think.
Dumbledore
Dark Rider

Post by Dumbledore »

The DE cart or a HE one with runes and HE details cut off/changed. Four would be badass, 2x2 or 4x1 though 4x1 would be the only one you could have any hope of fitting onto a chariot base (2x2 would look better imo but would be very hard to convert and impossible to do with size restraints).
Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

I just think of roman chariots with the 4x1, and 2x2 reminds me of dogsleds, or stage coaches, or something to that effect. However if you are following the rules of a chariot, I don't know if the Black Chariot has special rules or not, haven't looked, but only 2 of the cold ones would be able to fight back just FYI, if that changes your mind on how to orient the beasts.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Ruleswise Black Chariot only differs from a regular one in that it has 2+ armour save by itself.
With that in mind I had this bouncing around my crazy mind recently:

Cold One Chariot pulled by 3 Cold Ones (so they can still somewhat fit on a 50mm wide base) with Morathi pegasus wings attached to the sides in a form of protective shields. Painted in metallic colors so they aren't mistaken for proper wings, just a defensive decoration to represent higher armour save.

As for Malekith's model. I've seen pretty good conversions using Chaos lords as a base model. Remember Malekith is supposed to be bigger than your average elf.
7th edition army book:
Games Played: 213
Games Won: 114 (54%)
Games Drawn: 33 (15%)
Games Lost: 66 (31%)

8th Edition army book W/D/L:
Druchii: 36/4/16
D.e. warrior
Executioner

Post by D.e. warrior »

I agree with Dalamar! You should use the HE chariot converted with a lot of spears and the corsairs octopus or dragon sign on the front plate, Making the chariot being pulled by 3 cold ones is the easyest conversion to possibly fit I think...
as for the crew: Malekith replaces one of the 2 crewmembers, so actually you should add an extra member, BUT as Dalamar said Malekith is bigger than the average Dark Elf so using the chaos lord legs a second crewmen won't fit in...
maybe you could use a beastmaster model standing next to one of the cold ones as extra crew member, just an idea.

I like the idea of the pegasus wings as wel! but you should saw the in 2 parts I think... using half of the wings like some sort of protection and scytes...
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Re: Malekith on Black Chariot Conversion (Help Needed)

Post by Heldrak »

cultofkhaine wrote:Hello All, I am thinking of doing a conversion of the Witch King riding the Black Chariot. I have collected a few bits for the conversion but before I start was wondering if anyone has seen any conversions done of this. I have searched the net and have found nothing to use for inspiration.

I have the metal mounted Malekith model, four coldones and the tomb kings plastic cart to work with so far. What I am mostly interested in is

- Conversions of Malekith standing
- What type of cart to use (dont have to use the tomb kings one)
- Should I have two, three or four coldones pulling the cart
- Do I need an additional rider in the chariot with Malekith or just him

Any comments, pictures for inspiration would be much appreciated.

There are a number of images of converted Malekith models floating around the web if you look hard enough... ;)

Here's a link to the original illustration of Malekith from the 4th/5th edition Dark Elf Army Book:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... ECA-10.jpg

Here's a link to the unreleased Malekith on foot model:

http://www.collecting-citadel-miniature ... n_foot.jpg

Here are a couple of classic conversions (both of these use the Necromunda special character Karloth Valois as the basis for Malekith):

There was also a very good Malekith/Chariot conversion shown here on Druchii.net some time back that used the Dark Eldar model Urien Rakarth as the basis for Malekith.

In response to your questions:

I would stay with two Cold Ones pulling the chariot, as if you add extras you will have to increase the chariot's footprint and this may result in an over-large frontage or flank to the model.

The army book specifies that Malekith has another model in the chariot with him (presumably the driver, so Big daddy can keep his hands free for spellcasting, etc.), so I suggest that you model one.

The Tomb Kings chariots are rather light and flimsy, so I would suggest that you either scratchbuild one or use the current metal Cold One Chariot or the plastic High Elf chariot. If the rumored cavalry models and plastic cold one chariot are released in the semi-near future, you may have other options as well. In the old days, many people used the metal Chaos Chariot for Malekith conversions.
Last edited by Heldrak on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Urien is a bad base for Malekith...

Asdrubael though...
That could be pretty nice.
7th edition army book:

Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

Dalamar wrote:Urien is a bad base for Malekith...

Asdrubael though...
That could be pretty nice.

The modeler did a significant amount of conversion on the Urien Rakarth model IIRC. Here are some images:

I do agree that Asdrubael Vect would make an interesting conversion figure, though. I've been sitting on a set of Vect components for just such a contingency...
Last edited by Heldrak on Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dalamar
Dragon Lord
Dragon Lord

Post by Dalamar »

Urien doesn't have a helmet.
Malekith has a helmet with the circlet fused to it.
He might be scarred and ugly but he hides it under awesome armour.
7th edition army book:

Thenick18
Assassin

Post by Thenick18 »

Urien looks like he would make more sense in a conversion for a vampire role
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Thanks for the great comments guys! It has given me a lot to think about.

HELDRAK: Thanks for posting the images I have not seen those ones before. They are a good reference point to work from.

DALAMAR: I like your idea about using the pegasus wings I think I have a set of them around somewhere ... might be worth considering.

I like the Urien model and I can see how it could work quite well however am hoping to stick with the current Malekith model as I already have it - just need to convert it to a standing pose. I have seen the unreleased version but have not seen any conversions with the current mounted model and the legs converted.

I think the common school of thought is that it must fit on a 50x100base - that said I might try and rank 3x1 coldones

Again thanks for the comments - any more would be most welcome.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

What should I use for the second model to go with Malekith?

I was thinking a conversion of a black guard, given that they are his bodyguard. But could also convert something up using the coldone bitz.

Thoughts?
Mr_piechee
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mr_piechee »

a little while ago there was a thread about making a chariot from plasticard. It looked pretty good, and on a table top you would struggle to tell the difference. using this idea you could make the chariot slightly bigger and raise Malekith up onto a fighting platform.

3 cold ones could be arranged into a triangle, with the chariot extending slightly into the middle of the triangle of cold ones, where the extra crew could stand. a black guard would look great with this!
[hope you don't mind my random babel] ~ Take a look to the sky just before you die, its the last time you will ~ my pics
Tutankhankh
Slave on the Altar

Post by Tutankhankh »

I had an idea when it comes to the extra crewmember: Don't add it. Instead, just add an extra Cold One. Their S would be the same plus spears, and that and the 2 higher WS could simply be because Malekith's own, personal, favorite top-trained Cold One has the position of honour in the center. Give it some kind of armour or ornaments to make this obvious. That way, Malekith gets to stand alone in his chariot, as befitting the high lord of the Druchii.
The above is certified to be correct. Any implication of the contrary is treason. Treason is punishable by death. - Friend Computer
Heldrak
Renegade Priest of Vaul

Post by Heldrak »

cultofkhaine wrote:What should I use for the second model to go with Malekith?

I was thinking a conversion of a black guard, given that they are his bodyguard. But could also convert something up using the coldone bitz.

Thoughts?

I would model the extra figure as the chariot's driver. If you can't find one of the metal Chariot Drivers from the Cold One Chariot model, then one of the classic Beastmasters (still available direct from GW) ought to do well.
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

You could go tomb king style, adding the extra two coldies to the side, one on its own cavalry base. And then for the chariot, dont go for the high elf one, it is too.. well, too not brutal, OK?!

So:

Cold one chariot, with 2 cold ones on the chariot base, and two coldies at each side.
Badass.

And for his co-rider, yes go for somekind of black guard looking model, model one yourself, or convert the champion of the unit (add new arms, a whip for example).
-JK.
Zaelis
Slave on the Altar

Post by Zaelis »

For the Chariot also WoC one look totaly bad-ass so can be good with With King.
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Hi All, Well I have finally finished converting and painting Malekith on the Black Chariot. It took a while to get it together - thanks for all the info and ideas. Here are some pics!

Any comments would be great!

Sorry about the quality of the pics having a few issues with the camera at the moment :-(

Masamune
Black Guard

Post by Masamune »

Fantastic work as always! Love the triple CO going on there. The bloody scythe on the wheel is a nice touch.

The lichen or yellow bush thing behind the cold one on the base seems a little out of place to me as I don't understand how they trampled over it yet it remains so intact. I might take that off.

I also feel the orange and yellow flames on the banner are not up to par and let the rest down. Reshaping the flames and blending them together better might help. Maybe follow the radial lighting you used for the blue parts of the banner.
Steam
Shade

Post by Steam »

I rwally loke it. But one think that I think that dosent fit here is the head that you have taken for malekith.
http://newhammer.freeforums.org/ painting competiton os online

ImageImageImageImage
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

Interesting you should say that. According to GW, that is Malekith's head.

Also,I second what masamune said.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@ STEAM - That is Malekith's whole torso section and head. Not sure what else I would change it too - anyway like it how it is.

@ Masamune, Layne - yeh the fiire sort of lets it down a bit - that is the one thing I was dissappointed with. I am very strongly considering reworking the banner section becasue of that reason. I have also given the hedge a trim its more like a low shrub now :-)
Duguay-trouin
Shade

Post by Duguay-trouin »

Fantastic work all around, it really looks great. The only criticism I have is the 'back seat' driver. I understand that you wanted to make Malekith more prominent buy putting him in the front, but the driver would not be able to stand behind him and still use his whip. Accidentally hitting your king in the face with a whip would be a great way to get your head ripped off and fed to the cold ones!
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

@ Duguay-Trouin Thanks for the comment - Malekith is the one holding the whip, the pic is a bit hard to see. The Black Guard in the back has a repeater crossbow in the right hand and the spear in the left.