Dan's Snowy Elves

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Dumbledore wrote:Wonderful work, the COK one especially. How durable are banners as large as the corsair or cok ones?

They are still flexible, but one bend them too much or they could snap. Its just like paper thin plastic.

Dan
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Ive been really busy with real life recently, work and family and all that jazz.

I managed to get some time to get the cold ones started today. Bases are painted, to be snowed later. This is the first test cold one. Ive given the model three coats for both greens and browns followed by a wash and after this picture was taken, a further green highlight.

As I said, Ive re highlighted the green after this was taken, its not super bright, but thats the army theme, dull, dark, dingy and brooding, a rag tag army of vets.

Im tempted to add soft off black tiger striping to the upper body. Thoughts?

Dan
Bassman76
Highborn

Post by Bassman76 »

The talc trick is a great find! Never wondered it was possible. Thank you :)
when you go down, go down fighting!!

if you hang around Milan:

www.milantour.net

Special cultural events in Milan? Pretige locations for your company?

www.milanoarte.net
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

All the beasts have been painted various tones of green and had the mouths painted too. This is the test piece for eyes and horns. It takes ages to do the horns, so I will paint the feet and claws in one batch and then go back to do the horns and spines.

Dan
Dark apostle197
Corsair

Post by Dark apostle197 »

I think the cold one scales could use some more contrast. I know you don't want too bright, but (it may be the pictures) it still kind of looks like just a basecoat even though you washed the scales.
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Pictures!

Ive now got the second lamp working, brighter working area, paint drys much faster on my pallete though!

Im painting this on the banner. It will be some serious labour, but a nice reward for the horrid weeks of painting these things.

So far.....

Ok, here is my current banner, its the second attempt. The first was to far too the ragged edge of the banner. After a little neatening it was ready to fill in.

Dan
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

After some busy days at work and the gym heres this mornings work on the banner. Im gutted now I didnt do a wishy washy back ground of dark blue or somthing rather than just flat black.

Im going to add runes to the other side and some corner detail.

Dan
Christian
Corsair

Post by Christian »

Three times WOW. This is brilliant work. Did you also highlight the black of the banner or is its just light from the back. Because if you did it would be very cool highlighting
Dam 6 loss in a row

W/D/L
2 1 7
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

The black is highlighted but the light stripe is from the camera lighting.

Im going to varnish this then wash with dark colours to reduce the brilliance.

Dan
Kurl-soulrender
Black Guard

Post by Kurl-soulrender »

Nice army, I like your way to make banners, it looks awesome! And the runes are ace, nicely done mate. Keep em coming.
-JK.
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Washed with russian earth and black smoke pigments.

Sea Serpent Banner.Ive seriously altered the colours on the editing software to dull the glare. I will matt varnish it later.

Dan
Mordru
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Mordru »

Looks great...love the banners let us know how they hold up in game play.
To strive, to persevere, to conquer.
Asgoth
Corsair

Post by Asgoth »

Nice conversions here and there...
But about making bannners man, that is extremely nice tip how you make them. Thank you so much... Now my minotaur BSB will receive a banner of really enormous scale :)

I like the slate bases and im re-doing my DE after i get new beastmen done.

Inspiring, just inspiring...

Cheers mate
-anoppi
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Mordru, the banners seem to be fine so far, they just need a little car taken to them when handling, just dont be rough.

anoppi, be sure to send me a mail or a PM on librarium with your BSB. Im glad everyone is so keen on the banner tutorial!

Some early WIPS of the two hags for the Cauldron.

Here is some work on the Hags, rounded off the WIP hag with the head and some green. The gloved hand was a must to cover the horrific conversion to make the sword work.

Two real lion of flanders inspired pieces!
What do you think?

Here be the chosen corpses.

Let there be blood.

Those corpses are thrashing as the life of them is sucked out by the cauldron. I like the decapitated corpse, an addition my friend insisted I add in, one of the hags is holding his head.

Im half way through chopping up the parts for the death hag. Im using Morathi's torso, corsair hands (left hand dagger right hand fist) and sculpting the legs to have a long ragged cloak with small drappy bits over the top. The head will have a skull mask and two top knot pony tails.
Fingers crossed it works!

Dan
Gnosis
Hard, but Fair

Post by Gnosis »

Not a big fan of your colour scheme, but your cauldron is one of the most disgusting conversions I have ever seen - in a positive way. Good job.
Count them:

Painted in 2013: 500
Painted in 2014: 600
Painted in 2015: 854
cultofkhaine
Chief Cultist
Chief Cultist

Post by cultofkhaine »

Your cauldron conversion looks amazing! This has got to be one of the best conversions I have seen - I can't wait to see it finished!
Steam
Shade

Post by Steam »

yes the couldron is just something!
http://newhammer.freeforums.org/ painting competiton os online

ImageImageImageImage
Sassmaw
Cold One Knight

Post by Sassmaw »

Impressive conversion work there Dan. The couldron looks nasty. I am excited to see your death hag conversion.

Also what is tlac? That banner tut is great and i would love to copy it (all credit to you of course ;) but i have never hered of tlac.
Never underestimate the power of sheer bloody minded spite.
"I’m not going to fight them, you fool. I’m going to kill them.”
-Malus Darkblade

"We shall strike down our foes with sharp steel and cold hearts. The weak die so that the strong prevail and none shall be spared. Then and only then will our enemies know the true meaning of fear."
- Malekith, The Witch King of Naggaroth
Lord_azoth
Highborn

Post by Lord_azoth »

Really love your conversion....looking forward to see more updates
Death before dishonor
Dublindawg
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dublindawg »

Talc is Talcum powder. Baby powder is the most common form.
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

Wow, you got some pretty nice conversions there mate! That cauldron and those hags are really nice.

The banners are very impressive as well, and I will use your technique too if I may be that free:P.

Can't wait to see that cauldron finished!

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Thanks Gnosis, it doesnt seem many people are big fans on the scheme other than myself! I didnt want the typical techno coloured death elves!

cultofkhaine, STEAM, Lord_Azoth, Farodin, Thanks, I knew I had to make my own cauldron when I saw the price tag against the GW model. Its too old and expensive, it just doesnt fit with the new models IMHO.
Im really pleased with the hags overall. I just need to add some banners to the cauldron base an then its all done.

sassmaw, Dublindawg, Talc is baby powder or such. You can get baby powder from your local supermarket

Death Hag finished.

Some serious chopping went into this. The thing its holding in her right hand is a heart with the ventricles on. It should look better when painted purpley grey and sloshed in blood.

Thoughts?

Also, what do you guys think of banners being drapped of the side of the cauldron as well as hung from poles?

Dan
Farodin
Assassin

Post by Farodin »

That Death Hag looks very nice mate! The idea of letting her hold a heart is cool, I'm curious how it will turn out.

About the banners, if I get want you mean (I'm not sure about it) then banners on the side of the cauldron could turn out nice too, but then you musn't forget to put some blood on them as they will get bloody:P.

-Farodin
We are Druchii, the cold-hearted blades of destiny.
We shall cut through the world and bring forth Khaine's Kingdom...
...and all shall know their masters
Layne
Arnold Layne
Arnold Layne

Post by Layne »

I'd say ditch those bones. I rather like her mask, though. Nice touch with the dagger in hand and empty scabbard, and that the empty scabbard is on the opposite side to the dagger-hand. Little details FTW. It would be slightly better if you could find a bigger skull, one that is just a bit bigger than her own face, so it will look more like a mask that actual fits her well. As it is looks a little uncomfortable for her, the poor thing.
Layne
Global Moderator. Everything but the weather.

Caveat Numptor.

Karonath - WS6 / S4 / T4 / D5 / I3
Equipment: Bloodfeather, heavy armour, helm, Sea Dragon Cloak, rope x 2, month rations x 2
Inventory: longspear, 2 short swords, glaive, winter gear, shade cloak,
Mount: Dark Steed (Shiny), talisman of kurnous
Gold: 2294
Skills: Ambidexterity, Controlled Frenzy, Basic Ride, Drukh Kaganth
Class: Khainite
Danjones87
Trainee Warrior

Post by Danjones87 »

Farodin, the banner on the front will be bloody.

Layne, Ive ditched the hag bones. The skull is slightly larger than the face, ever so slightly. Anyhow, who said worshiping the god of murder should be comfortable! =)

Cauldron so far with banners. Im considering some spikes around the edge of the rim.

Im contemplating making markers to show what effect is given to which squad.

Currently paint the blackguard. green cloacks up next.

Dan