Help painting hydra.

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Dread_knight666
Noble

Help painting hydra.

Post by Dread_knight666 »

I don't have much experience painting bigger models and although I generally do a good job on man sized models I am really struggling to paint my hydra... I have stripped the paint off of it twice now. :cry:

I guess the biggest issue I am facing is trying to highlight all of the chicken scratch on it without loosing the detail. I put my dark base color on then try and blend up from that just like everything else I paint, but by the time I get my blending to where I like it I am obscuring all of the fine detail... I keep thinking I should just dry brush the damn thing and be done with it, or just use a wash but I am fond of blending. Suggestions or tips would be appreciated thanks.

BTW I either want to paint it brown or grey, my last attempt was grey which I am not satisfied with, but I only painted one flank of the hydra body so I can still recover the model without stripping the paint again.
Leonates80
Trainee Warrior

Post by Leonates80 »

If I were you I would wash it (this gives a nice effect on these new GW DE sculpts : CO, HYD, ) and then blend it - try to mix techniques
Phierlihy
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Phierlihy »

I took a miniature painting class a couple of years ago and it was suggested that like you're doing now, I was painting backwards. Paint your basecoat as the highlight or very near the highlight colour and then shade. It turns out it is much easier than painting a dark colour and highlighting!

If you haven't tried it yet, make yourself a "wet pallette" and make your paint layers THIN! Like where you'd expect to put down one coat you'll put down 4-10 coats - the paint should be so thin it looks more like water than paint.