where would i start if i was converting a DE dragon?

Discover the age-old techniques of painting...

Moderators: Layne, xFallenx, cultofkhaine

Forum rules
Remember that picture file size should be no larger than 256KB.
For the full Painting and Modelling rules, visit [url]http://www.druchii.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=27440[/url]
Darkblade222
Slave on the Altar

where would i start if i was converting a DE dragon?

Post by Darkblade222 »

i am unsure where to start if i was going to convert a dragon to DE i am thinking the HE star dragon box what do u guys think???
"With hate all things are possible"
Druchii saying
No one
Noble

Post by No one »

I converted mine from the malekith model but yes the star dragon kit would be a better place to start, just add some darkelf bits en paint it a bid dark and it'll look good.
'with hatred all things are possible' -Malus of Hag Greaf-

"3/4 of games are won by deathstars. Copy this into your signature if you still use real tactics to win"
Deroth
Assassin

Post by Deroth »

The star dragon is the easiest way to start right now, It's not hard to make the rider a dark elf and the dragon just needs a dark paint job and you are sorted.
If I had a knife I would shoot you
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

I used the HE dragon for mine. Just swapped the top half of the rider for the top half of the Champion of Slaahesh model (the one on the worm), and gave him a slightly more DE weapon by swapping the end of his spear for the end of the one held by the Beastmaster on a Manticore.

I made sure I used the horns on the dragon instead of the fins and instead of the harness/reigns they gave you I used a length of jewelery chain.

Paint it evil colors, I used reds and blacks, and there is your conversion. I can try get some pictures if you wanted but I only have a phone to use for a camera so they would not be that great.

O and wouldnt this belong in the modeling area?
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Iyagd
Master Of Mirrors

Post by Iyagd »

I think You'll get more feedback at Painting & Modelling forum. Moved.
Druchii Discussion moderator.
Vaari
Black Guard

Post by Vaari »

devils reject wrote:I used the HE dragon for mine. Just swapped the top half of the rider for the top half of the Champion of Slaahesh model (the one on the worm), and gave him a slightly more DE weapon by swapping the end of his spear for the end of the one held by the Beastmaster on a Manticore.

Thats exactly what I was thinking of doing, could you post a pick please?
Group 28
Name - Seijl Illydrien Class- Shade
Character Stats
- WS 6 - - S 3 - - T 3 - - D 4 - - I 4 -
Equipment
MC Light Armour, MC Buckler, MC Longsword,, Repeater Crossbow, Dagger w/ UC, Dagger w/ DV Shade Cloak. Field Kit (Healing x3), Vials of Unseen Chains (x3 uses) , Vials of Dark Venom (x4 uses) , Lamia Fang, Harpy Claws
Circlets : 260, , Emerald Eye (200Circ.) Rations: 10/10 Bolts: 16/20 , Null Stone
Skills
Basic Stealth - Heal
Nellamik
Black Guard

Post by Nellamik »

Lots of dragons out there other than the HE dragon kit. Check out this forum for some that have already been finished. I found mine on e-bay, a old Citadel "Lava dragon" model that worked out great for me.
For example check out this post "Sinz's Dark Elf 2010 Redux"
If you want a pic I'll post one, it's your thread.
No amount of planning can ever replace dumb luck.
Holt
Malekith's Best Friend

Post by Holt »

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=4120

http://www.druchii.net/album_page.php?pic_id=4119

Theres a couple of it. Feel free to ignore the great big mold line going threw the center of its head.
Want some tips on controlling those frenzied units? http://www.druchii.net/viewtopic.php?t=71791&highlight=
Dublindawg
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Dublindawg »

I built my DE dragon by copying another person on here, used the carnifax from the Lizards line, added the plastic dragon wings that GW sells and then made a custom saddle for the DL.
Kal venoch
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kal venoch »

Dublindawg wrote:I built my DE dragon by copying another person on here, used the carnifax from the Lizards line, added the plastic dragon wings that GW sells and then made a custom saddle for the DL.

Do you have a link to the model you used or even better the one you converted? I think you meant the Carnosaur, but I am really interested in seeing how that worked out!

Thanks!
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
C.S. Lewis - The Cause for Christianity

Forever hold this heart that I will give to YOU!
Forever I will live for YOU!

Always with Courage, Ever with Honor.
Pap3r
Corsair

Post by Pap3r »

Here is mine. Carnosaur (Lizardmen) and High Elf Dragon wings...

Burn the Heretic.
Kill the Mutant.
Purge the Unclean.
Kal venoch
Slave (off the Altar)

Post by Kal venoch »

Wow... that is awesome Pap3r!

How easy was the wing-to-body attachment/conversion? I am definitely doing this for my Black Dragon.

Thanks for the pic!
This year, or this month, or, more likely, this very day, we have failed to practise ourselves the kind of behaviour we expect from other people.
C.S. Lewis - The Cause for Christianity

Forever hold this heart that I will give to YOU!
Forever I will live for YOU!

Always with Courage, Ever with Honor.
Pap3r
Corsair

Post by Pap3r »

Not too hard.. just use a metal pin, a lot of green stuff and A LOT of time to do the scales...
Burn the Heretic.
Kill the Mutant.
Purge the Unclean.